Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Best HORROR Book ever ? and Best HORROR Author ever ?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Best HORROR Book ever ? and Best HORROR Author ever ?

Old 04-24-01, 11:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i liked Misery by Stephen King, he's also my fav author
Old 04-24-01, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved It by Stephen King.

That book is one of the few that scared the hell out of me. Part of that I guess is my hatred/fear of clowns.

A buddy of mine sent me a lifefx (www.lifefx.com) email. Basically it's a talking email service. Anyway, he had picked a clown and the clown did the whole happy birthday schpiel. After a few seconds, the clown said, "Come down here with us Steve, we all float down here..." Then did a convulsing shake of his head. It was so freaky I got goose bumps.

You would probably have to download the program to see what I'm talking about.

-Steve
Old 04-25-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a huge horror fan, but I'd say.

Best book
Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
or maybe
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

Best author
Probably Stephen King
if not the best, the most consistent.

Old 04-25-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best book: I Am Legend, Richard Matheson
Old 04-25-01, 08:31 AM

Horror Author

Track down a copy of 'The Matrix' by Jonathan Aycliffe (He writes his more popular stuff under the name 'Daniel Easterman'), now that's a great little book.
Old 04-25-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The best horror novel I have ever read is The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. (Do not be misled by the atrocious Michael Mann film; Wilson himself was so upset at the mess Mann made of his book that he wrote a short story called Cuts, wherein a novelist gets revenge on a director who ruined the film version of his novel.)

Wilson, an MD, has written in several genres including sci-fi and medical thrillers. His three recent Repairman Jack novels are a followup to The Tomb, written right after The Keep and each one has been better than the one before. The latest, All the Rage, is terrific.

That said, I'd say my favorite horror writer overall is Dean Koontz. My favorite Koontz novel is Dark Rivers of the Heart although I'd call that book a thriller rather than horror. My favorite horror novel by Koontz is Dragon Tears. I like Stephen King but I think Koontz is a better writer.
Old 04-25-01, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by movielib
The best horror novel I have ever read is The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. (Do not be misled by the atrocious Michael Mann film; Wilson himself was so upset at the mess Mann made of his book that he wrote a short story called Cuts, wherein a novelist gets revenge on a director who ruined the film version of his novel.)

Wilson, an MD, has written in several genres including sci-fi and medical thrillers. His three recent Repairman Jack novels are a followup to The Tomb, written right after The Keep and each one has been better than the one before. The latest, All the Rage, is terrific.
I'm actually finishing up The Tomb right now. I read Conspiracies first and I was so impressed with it, I bought the other Repairman Jack novels. How is The Keep? Would you rate it up there with the Repairman Jack novels?

-Steve
Old 04-25-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Stephen King's The Stand. I love large apocalyptic horror like this.

For something with a tinge of supernatural, but not out and out horror, Robert McCammon's Boy's Life.

Recently, Peter Straub's Mr. X is quite entertaining. I'm nearing the end of it and I've enjoyed the Lovecraft parody.

Darin
Old 04-25-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tictacboy

I'm actually finishing up The Tomb right now. I read Conspiracies first and I was so impressed with it, I bought the other Repairman Jack novels. How is The Keep? Would you rate it up there with the Repairman Jack novels?

-Steve [/B]
The Keep is, IMO, better than any of the Repairman Jack novels, as good as they are. It is actually the first book in a six book series called The Adversary Cycle and The Tomb is the second (although there's not any indication the two are connected until later on in the series).

Wilson's first three books were a sci-fi trilogy - Healer, Wheels Within Wheels and An Enemy of the State, later published in one volume as The Lanague Chronicles. These are also great, particularly Enemy, but I think it's all out of print. Still shouldn't be hard to find at places like half.com or abebooks.com.

[Edited by movielib on 04-27-01 at 08:26 AM]
Old 04-25-01, 12:38 PM

Well another vote for King but for me it's The Shining.
Old 04-25-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

definitely King...there are many of his books that give me chills...probably Misery the worst (I read this book about 7 years ago and still remember the image of her fingers sinking into the rat)
Old 04-25-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
H.P.Lovecraft.

Tuan Jim
Old 04-25-01, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver
Stephen King's The Stand. I love large apocalyptic horror like this.

For something with a tinge of supernatural, but not out and out horror, Robert McCammon's Boy's Life.

Darin
If you haven't already, I suggest you read Robert McCammon's Swan Song. It is similar to The Stand as far as the good vs. evil in a post-destruction Earth.

-Steve
Old 04-25-01, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. The most perverse, violent, and unapologetic novel ever.
Old 04-25-01, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another vote for King. I don't like all of his stuff, but his short stories are some of the best horror I've read, as well as some of his 'epic' horror novels. The Stand and It are definitely favorites
Old 04-25-01, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It ... was just awesome.

I like his short stories as well.
Old 04-25-01, 11:38 PM

Stephen King's "It" and "The Shining" are two of his best works. I don't think I've ever read anything that came close to being as scary. Another great author that comes to mind is Shirley Jackson. She wrote "The Haunting of Hill House" a true psychological horror story that is very rarely equaled today. Stephen King was said to be inspired by that book.
Old 04-26-01, 02:27 AM

Daily Radar's top 10 scariest books:

http://www.dailyradar.com/features/d...ge_2657_1.html

I can't comment too much as I have not read all the books on the list. I can't belive a few of my favorites didn't make it, but it's just one person's list.

-Steve
Old 04-26-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Girl Next Door, by Jack Ketchum.VERY disturbing.
Also Offseason by Ketchum.
Joe Lansdale-The Drive In, The Nightrunners, and By Bizzare Hands(short story collection)
James Herbert- The Rats, The Lair, The Fog, and The Ghosts Of Sleath.
Michael Slade- Headhunter, Ghoul, and Hangman.
Simon Clark- Bood Crazy,and King Blood
Graham Masterton, The Manitou, Flesh And Blood, and The Djinn.
Rex Miller- Slob
William Peter Blatty- The Exorcist,and Legion
Joe Donnelly- Incubus, Dark Valley.
I have many favourite authors because they all write so differently.I didn't mention King, or Wilson, or Koonzt because they've been mentioned.
Old 04-26-01, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Robert McCammon's The Wolf's Hour was just awesome. Other books of his that I have enjoyed are They Thirst, Swan Song, and The Night Boat.

He has retired from writing and will be sorely missed.
Old 04-26-01, 09:39 AM

Stephen King, and It and the Shining. The book that gave me the most chills is called "Walkers", it's been years I don't remember who wrote it.
Old 04-26-01, 10:11 AM

just remembered, "walkers" is by Gary Brandner, great horror book.
Old 04-26-01, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turn of the Screw - Henry James.
Old 04-26-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cwilli
Stephen King's "It" and "The Shining" are two of his best works. I don't think I've ever read anything that came close to being as scary. Another great author that comes to mind is Shirley Jackson. She wrote "The Haunting of Hill House" a true psychological horror story that is very rarely equaled today. Stephen King was said to be inspired by that book.
I always forget Shirley Jackson. The Haunting of Hill House is a must read for any horror fan. Don't worry if you saw the movie that just came out, very poor adaptation with slim similarities.
Old 04-26-01, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
H.P.Lovecraft.

Tuan Jim
'Nuff Said!!!

Dreams in the Witch House and The Shadow Over Innsmouth are MASTERPIECES of the genre! Often imitated, never equaled for sheer disturbance of peace of mind.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.