DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Warner Archive Sales (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/655076-warner-archive-sales.html)

dex14 03-19-22 06:50 AM

Warner Archive Sales

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...279079ec6e.jpg

MovieZyng will be hosting a 13th Anniversary Warner Archive sale from March 22nd to April 2nd. It'll be 4 for $49 this time for titles with MSRP's of $21.99 or less. Shipping is $2.49 for the first time, and $0.50 for each additional one, so 4 titles will be $3.99. They do ship internationally as well.

Moviezyng is a very reliable retailer. They are the official retailer for Allied Vaughn, who is the company that replicates discs for Warner Archive, and other MOD releases from Universal, Sony, and Paramount. And in case anyone asks, all Warner Archive Blu-rays are pressed.

https://www.moviezyng.com/hollywood-...sort=PriceAsc&
Stolen from blu-ray.com.

In addition... Amazon has had various WB Archive titles on sale for pretty cheap pricing.

cinemaman 03-19-22 11:17 AM

Re: Warner Archive Sales

With Amazon selling some WACs for $10-$12, and this sale (if you include S&H) averages to $13+ a title, I am sitting this one out. Might be good for some WACs that never get to that price point on Amazon - but I find with patience, a lot eventually get there.

If there was a free shipping threshold, I might be more inclined..
However, I know many people who are very excited about this sale...

hariseldon 03-19-22 11:47 AM

Amazon WAC have a dozen or so items on sale at any given time, but it seems to be a pretty narrow selections and not a lot of older items. The majority seem to be releases from teh last 12-15 months.
If you kept your wishlist pretty caught up with with the old 4/44 sales then this sale may not be much. Target B2G1 sales have been decent as well, but trying to get needed items in-stock all at the same
time has led to me pulling my hair out at times (next B2G1 should be expected in the next 2-3 weeks based on past years). That's my situation since I'm not sure there's 4 on my wishlist at all (non preorders)

There's still something to be said about a full catalog sale. Picking off cheap items one at a time is just agony to me and I've often added items at less good prices just to pad an order (psychologically not for FS limits)
Some sort of FS threshold would definitely be a major plus though MovieZyng has never had that option that I'm aware.

I think teh international customers may be happy though since their option have been pretty limited since Amazon often won't ship WAC at all anymore (and far worse shipping rates when they will)

MooMooMooMoo 03-19-22 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14076688)
Stolen from blu-ray.com.

In addition... Amazon has had various WB Archive titles on sale for pretty cheap pricing.

This company does not APPEAR to charge sales tax. Does anyone know for certain? That would be a 10.3% savings for me.

hariseldon 03-19-22 07:35 PM

I don't think they charge tax. If that add it, it's at the very last step. I;ve even gone to the Paypal step but not finalized an order and nothing was listed

They are so small of a Direct seller that they may not be on the radar yet.

This is the first big sale I'm aware of for MovieZyng so it will be itneresting to see how they handle it and how the website functions.

MooMooMooMoo 03-19-22 07:41 PM

I emailed them. Will post their reply.

smurrlock 03-20-22 07:29 AM

Put 4 titles in cart but code “ archive13” does not apply! Emailed them as all titles were eligible.

joltman 03-20-22 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by smurrlock (Post 14077022)
Put 4 titles in cart but code “ archive13” does not apply! Emailed them as all titles were eligible.

The sale doesn't start until March 22

hariseldon 03-20-22 11:05 AM

Oops

cinemaman 03-21-22 07:48 AM

beware that they just increased their S&H. It is now $2.99 for the first item, and $.99 for every title. Gets very expensive, imho, as you add more titles.

hariseldon 03-21-22 11:55 AM

Or more optimistically -- it's 13.25 per title after the fourth so not that expensive out of the old 4/44 lens. Still beats the 18+tax that Amazon charges for the majority of the items that are likely in the sale ASSUMING you need any of those.
Amazon does have a dozen or so of the newer titles for a lower price, but virtually none of the pre - 2020-2021 items are cheaper now or even within the last several years.

That's similar to the Target B2G1 prices after tax and what should be a much larger selection. I think the last time I checked the full inventory at Target they has about 100 WAC BD available out of the 300-350 or so I'd expect for
this sale

hariseldon 03-21-22 11:12 PM

A couple answers from MovieZyng to an email I send a few hours ago. I'm really impressed that an actual person obviously wrote this and responded after 7pm ET leading into a big sale. Getting WbShop to respond in less than a week was a victory (and eventually not at all)

When will the sale start
The coupon code should activate at midnight US Central time.

What is included -- only BD, ??DVD. Possible extra deal for Multidisc or TV series like WBShop sometimes had
This particular sale is for Blu-ray only. There are a little over 350 total Blu-ray movie titles on the promotion. Unfortunately, there won’t be any TV series on promotion. I hope that we may be able to do something with those in the future. But, we’re very excited to bring the current promotion to WB fans as it’s the first big sale in just over a year.

In regard to EU and I think UK orders with the VAT issues still in the air. I asked if they'd take orders and ship when they get the Vat/Ioss legals straightened out -- no joy. I assume Vyking may be a Reshipper/Freight Forwarder
From their FAQ "
  • ** Note - due to recent VAT collection requirements we are temporarily unable to ship to European Union countries. We can ship to England. We expect to be able to ship to Europe by May1, 2022. "

We can’t take the orders and hold them while we wait for Europe to open up. But, here is a website to check out.
https://www.vykingship.com/
I’ve had several other overseas customers use them as a US shipping point and then have Vyking consolidate their orders and ship them to their Europe address.
We’re working to get pre-paid VAT collection implemented – but for the next 45 days, Vyking may be an option.

MooMooMooMoo 03-21-22 11:44 PM

3 cent difference between the old WAC direct free shipping & MovieZyng's no sales tax if I were to buy 4 or more. So for me, it would be a wash with the old WAC direct sales, since WAC charged tax.

hariseldon 03-22-22 12:50 AM

A reminder if anyone if having issues -- the coupon code is " Archive13! " (needs the exclamation point, no quotation marks -- wasnt; sure until it gave me an error. )

Jfunk1 03-22-22 08:21 AM

Put in an order for:
Village of the Damned (1960)
The Yakuza
To Have and Have Not
Dark Passage
Golddiggers of 1933

Average price of $13.64 including tax and shipping. Still better than Amazon, DeepDiscount, etc..

dex14 03-22-22 01:58 PM

Already got a shipment confirmation. Not bad.

hariseldon 03-22-22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14078181)
Already got a shipment confirmation. Not bad.

Have to laugh -- what would it take to get a "Pretty Good " comment.
Dispatch notice within 8 hrs of opening for business on BY FAR the biggest sale in their history. Actually some folks said their Midnight CT orders got Dispatch emails before Noon.

Now since this should be the exact same fulfillment center that handled WBShop orders, it was be interested to see how long it takes those packages to get into the
shipping lanes and into people's hands. My orders vis WB could show up in 2 days or 2 weeks after they shipped -- not a big deal either way, but it was always somewhat
random. Unlike WbShop at least people so far are getting Order and Dispatch confirmations. I lost count of the number of old Wbshop orders (under each of the 3 or 4 different owners)
I received then got the dispatch email
hours to days after the package arrived.

dex14 03-22-22 02:21 PM

Ok... Pretty good...

darkside 03-22-22 05:08 PM

Figured I would give this retailer a try. I had a few Warners that hadn't broken the $14 mark on Amazon I wanted including the one Thin Man Blu-ray I needed.
I picked up Mystery of the Wax Musuem, Shadow of the Thin Man, Gold Diggers of 1933, and Ziegfeld Follies.

hariseldon 03-23-22 04:40 PM

Anyone hanging out thinking of an order -- it appears MZ is monitoring the thread at least at Bluray and read about Ivanhoe's price being screwed up and have or will fix it soon so it will
be allowed in the sale.

MooMooMooMoo 03-23-22 04:47 PM

Surprised more people don't come here. Like Imwan for music, br.com is just a giant advertisement for Amazon as far as I can tell.

hariseldon 03-23-22 05:16 PM

Plenty of non Amazon deals get listed there and there;s a decent proportion of posters who buy from anywhere but Amazon so it's not a total rout.
Bullmoose was there for a short while, Hamilton Books rep is quite frequently there. Lots of Target, BBY, Arrow, Indicator, Boutique shopper there.

The Kino Lorber guy is there though costs them as many sales as he gets due to his acrid personality issues -- he posts more like a Troll sometimes than a rep.
He's somewhat better at HTF since they have much stricter policy of the members how aggresively post directly (they have a different thread for Disc Discussion specifically to avoid teh direct
postings) The KL insider once ripped into one of their nicer mods for absolutely no reason and got suspended by the owner for a while.

Despite the official Amazon links, the volume of information and posters at Bluray.com far exceeds this forum or HTF.
As long as you can ignore the over the top, in your face posters it can be quite useful

The actual popup/over/under ads can be turned off in the Account settings (as long as you're signed in) so I never see those anyhow.

MooMooMooMoo 03-23-22 06:11 PM

I mostly pay attention to their daily email; which is 95+% Amazon

dex14 03-26-22 10:43 AM

I received my order today. No issues.

hariseldon 08-05-22 01:32 AM

Next MovieZyng "4 for 49" sale announced to run August 8 through Aug 14, 2022
March Sale started 1am ET so early Monday morning

Movie Zyng Warner Archive 4 for $49 sale August 8th - 14th
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...4d820b6147.jpg

Preview linked page shows around 1200 DVD in addition to 330 BD to be available this time and appears that Eligible Items released through June 30 (single disc sets mostly) so neither of the July items.

I will assume most of the previous rules will apply.
No Sales Tax outside Illinois
Shipping and Handling $2.99 for 1st disc plus 0.99 each added item for US orders
International Shipping $7.99 for the first DVD, and just $1.99 for each added. I haven't seen an update to the EU shipping possibility. Last sale they were hoping to have all the hoops finished by May 1, but for now it seems
to be almost everywhere else and maybe EU

Last sale was BD only and for those 2 dozen items with a 19.99 MSRP got an extra $2 discount. Since half the DVD listed are 17.99 MSRP and another 300 are 19.99 that could make the $49 price at best a starting point, but
we won't know for sure until it goes live

For older items released Jan 2021 or mid 2021 these prices might be significantly lower than anything recent.
WA items released in last 12 months and maybe even back to Jan 2021 have been getting some good prices on Amazon, but they have essentially been ignoring older titles and even the 2021 releases are becoming unusual to see
steep discounts. With DD sales becoming 20-25% sales, Target getting rid of the WA titles completely, and BN essentially ejecting the 40% sales -- $13.50 more or less isn't a bad deal for the normal WAC BD anymore