Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

were the Arrow titles 50% off for STH (in-store price)? Most of them aren't/
If they had to do a PM to the website to get the 50% price then that changes everything to a web item so it isn't 10% eligible but the Mailer coupons are boht instore and online so would apply.
For normal STH using the store price the coupons would have applied with a scan, but the PM changes the whole entry system.
Old 06-28-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

My store does not seem to carry any of the Arrow Videos. All the titles I was interested in said not available at your store. I did not notice until you mentioned it that the website does say 50% Off Arrow Video - Online Only. Question - the website has the 10% coupon code SUNSHINE - good online only. Arrow titles ,unlike Criterion, qualify for this discount. Are the one use coupons that B&N mails good on line and are they stack-able with "SUNSHINE"? If in store ship to home for titles that are online only count the same as ordering from the website, shouldn't the code , SUNSHINE" also work on that ship to home order?

Last edited by Classic Films; 06-28-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
My store does not seem to carry any of the Arrow Videos. All the titles I was interested in said not available at your store. I did not notice until you mentioned it that the website does say 50% Off Arrow Video - Online Only. Question - the website has the 10% coupon code SUNSHINE - good online only. Arrow titles ,unlike Criterion, qualify for this discount. Are the one use coupons that B&N mails good on line and are they stack-able with "SUNSHINE"? If in store ship to home for titles that are online only count the same as ordering from the website, shouldn't the code , SUNSHINE" also work on that ship to home order?
Online -- one coupon only.so no stacking. I don't know how the official online only code work -- I;ve never tried it

Most B&N stores carry a handful of Arrows.-- if you look you may find 10-20 if you're lucky. Actually the store I was at today only has about 1/3 of the titles they had in February when I looked -- 12 Monkey, Waterworld, The Hired Hand, Images, Hills Have Eyes, Cinema Paradiso, Reanimator, Fish Called Wanda, Crimes of Passion, Children of the Corn, Re-animator, cat o Nine Tails, Dead or Alive Trilogy, It seems there are a group of 10-15 titles that seem to be pretty common across most Media Stores. Images I remember from December as being one of the Arrows not 50% off instore
Old 06-29-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody having trouble with international shipping? The site wouldn't allow me to check out to my Singapore address.
Old 06-29-19, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I got a bit screwed on the Arrow titles I ordered ship to home. I had 2 20% off coupons I got in the mail. When they scanned the coupons they got a message that said they had to be manually entered. When they did that it over road the 10% membership discount so I only got the 20% off. Unfortunately you can't see that until after the purchase when you get the receipt. I pointed this out and they insisted that you can't get both discounts. I said then what was the purpose of membership ? I asked them to cancel the order and give me back my coupons. They couldn't. They said they couldn't cancel the ship to home order at the store . They called B&N customer service and they couldn't locate the order since it hadn't processed yet. So they couldn't cancel it ether. On top of that, I included the preorder of the Criterion of Klute in this ship to home order. The clerk incorrectly manually applied the 20% off to that also but since coupons don't apply to Criterions it didn't take the 20% off that item but is also overroad the 10% membership discount so they charged me $20 for Klute. I told them I would dispute the charge when processed and refuse delivery when the order comes. I've got to find a different Barnes and Noble store. This all happened when store checked me out at the customer service desk instead of going to the regular check outline.

My store had already sold out of the few copies they had of 'A Face In The Crowd", "The Heiress", and "Swing Time" when I went at about 4:00 PM. They could be ordered ship to home with the 10% membership discount.
It's a shame about the 20% off coupons. OTOH, you could always look at it as getting 10% off above your 10% member discount. Not as good as 20% + 10%, but still better than just the basic 10%.

As far as getting screwed out of the 10% due on Klute, I'd just place another order, or buy it off the shelf when it's released and return the one being STH. That's the nice thing about a retailer with a physical location.
In fact, I'll be returning a title tomorrow that I picked up in the 40% off sale, that I was able to finagle a better deal on in a subsequent order.

I wasn't able to put anything on hold the other day, so most of the newer stuff I was looking for will probably be gone when I get there. Good thing the sale runs so long that there is plenty of time to restock.
Although this location has shown some truly bizarre purchasing/stocking decisions in the past.
Old 06-29-19, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Just 3 for me,still have a $50 B@N gift card from black Friday. Might also pick up Ingmar Bergman's Cinema set
Sisters
Passion Of Joan Of Arc
Dragon Inn
Old 06-29-19, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For sure:

Notorious
Forty Guns
War and Peace
Blue Velvet

I'm sure I'll add a few more before the month is out.
Old 06-29-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

After such a stressful week of teaching, it was great to unwind by checking out my local B&N on the first day of the sale.

Round 1:

Police Story/Police Story 2 (BD)
Blue Velvet (BD)
Funny Games (BD)
Late Spring (BD)
Good Morning (BD)

Hoping to check out another store on Sunday while I'm out with one of my friends.
Old 06-29-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
Anybody having trouble with international shipping? The site wouldn't allow me to check out to my Singapore address.
Apparently almost everyone -- Canada, UK, AUS, etc are all being prevented from placing orders for most items. It seems the last couple sales this started and now seems to be pretty solidly and completely broken

I know the last couple sales they had issues and for the most part fixed it at some point.
It appears there is some hope, but we'll see --

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-29-19 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 11:45 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a word of warning: Double-check with competitors before ordering since I am finding some of these Criterion titles cheaper at Amazon today.

Examples:
Ghost World @ Barnes & Noble $19.99 -- @ Amazon $18.39
Brazil @ Barnes & Noble $24.99 -- @ Amazon $21.74
Night of the Living Dead @ Barnes & Noble $19.99 -- @ Amazon $17.78

Old 06-29-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Otherwise known as Wal-mart is messing with Amazon's algorithm again
Old 06-29-19, 02:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Otherwise known as Wal-mart is messing with Amazon's algorithm again
True! I just checked and the movies above are the same price at Walmart.

Either way, everyone should check prices before ordering at B&N.
Old 06-29-19, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know the end date of the Arrow sale?
Old 06-29-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing has been published. The one clue we have is which preorders are part of the sale and which aren't
Weird Science releasing July 23 is part of the sale, but Alice Sweet Alice (8/6) is not so my guess is the sale in going to end either July 31, August 4 (like the Criterion Sale) or 5th
Old 06-29-19, 05:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

My B&N had every single criterion Blu-ray in those hard plastic cases requiring an employee to remove them; some of them containing multiple copies of one title. Criterion DVDs were not in cases other than box sets.
Lame.
Old 06-29-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

My B&N was well picked over when I went in today.
Wasn't able to snag a copy of A Face In The Crowd or Notorious, and there was only one copy of Panique, The Heiress, and War And Peace.About five copies of Swing Time scattered around though.

Talking to the fellow that has worked in that section for years, he was surprised at how much stock they moved the first day.

I'm in ho real hurry for anything. I have to wait for several things to be released in a couple weeks anyway. If I miss those, I'll probably just do a ship to home for all the rest.
Old 06-29-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Apparently almost everyone -- Canada, UK, AUS, etc are all being prevented from placing orders for most items. It seems the last couple sales this started and now seems to be pretty solidly and completely broken

I know the last couple sales they had issues and for the most part fixed it at some point.
It appears there is some hope, but we'll see -- https://twitter.com/BN_care/status/1144940530054418434

Several international say the Criterion Sale is now working for Canada and AUS at least. Apparently not joy for the ARROW items yet so for now it's a narrow fix
Old 06-29-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I picked up:
Blue Velvet
War & Peace
Funny Games

Will likely pick up:
Do The Right Thing

I hope to keep this sale to a minimum. Too many other expenses for me right now.
Old 07-02-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Just 3 for me,still have a $50 B@N gift card from black Friday. Might also pick up Ingmar Bergman's Cinema set
Sisters
Passion Of Joan Of Arc
Dragon Inn
Non-member
Fast shipping. ordered on 6/29,received today at my postal box.But have to pick up tomorrow,I did not check my email before we went out and we drove right by my mail service business.As it is close by,and we hardly get any snail mail.
Old 07-03-19, 06:50 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I got a couple gift cards for 17% off at cardpool and ordered Stranger Than Paradise and Smithereens on Monday morning and they arrived on Tuesday!
Old 07-03-19, 12:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I got a bit screwed on the Arrow titles I ordered ship to home. I had 2 20% off coupons I got in the mail. When they scanned the coupons they got a message that said they had to be manually entered. When they did that it over road the 10% membership discount so I only got the 20% off. Unfortunately you can't see that until after the purchase when you get the receipt. I pointed this out and they insisted that you can't get both discounts. I said then what was the purpose of membership ? I asked them to cancel the order and give me back my coupons. They couldn't. They said they couldn't cancel the ship to home order at the store . They called B&N customer service and they couldn't locate the order since it hadn't processed yet. So they couldn't cancel it ether. On top of that, I included the preorder of the Criterion of Klute in this ship to home order. The clerk incorrectly manually applied the 20% off to that also but since coupons don't apply to Criterions it didn't take the 20% off that item but is also overroad the 10% membership discount so they charged me $20 for Klute. I told them I would dispute the charge when processed and refuse delivery when the order comes. I've got to find a different Barnes and Noble store. This all happened when store checked me out at the customer service desk instead of going to the regular check outline.
A happy ending to this situation. I was able call store customer service, which is not customer service at the store I shop but a special department for store problems as opposed to internet orders, and once my store receipt entered their system and they could see I used my membership card, they credited my credit card for 10% of the amount paid including the Arrow videos which were on sale online only.

Last edited by Classic Films; 07-03-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Been a few years since I took part. I picked up:

Blue Velvet
Fire Walk With Me
McCabe and Mrs Miller
Police Story
A Matter Of Life And Death
Don't Look Back

Also picked up the Hired Hand but realized I didn’t get the 1/2 off.
Old 07-03-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I walked into a local Barnes and Noble B&M on the way back from work and decided to pick up a few things. The Criterion section was thin, but they still had some decent titles.

Police Story/Police Story 2
The Breakfast Club
Before Trilogy
Sex, Lies and Videotape
Tootsie

also picked up a really nice new hard cover about Anthony Bourdain and his legacy.

The Before Trilogy was $50, but I figured that was the best it was going to get. I actually showed a little self restraint only getting that few.

Got a BN membership, which dropped everything an extra 10%. Figured it would be worth it to have for a future sale. I haven't been in a large B&M in a while and it was actually nice to browse through stuff. The staff was so nice helping me find Police Story and Before Trilogy as they weren't on the shelf and had arrived just today in a special shipment. The cashier said it's very likely the 50% Criterion sale could be expanded to 3-times per year.
Old 07-05-19, 07:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

For anyone on the fence regarding the Bergman box set... Get it. It's so damn good. I've powered through the first 12 films (chronologically, because that's how I am), and there's only one I didn't really like. The rest have been very good to fantastic.
On this B&N sale, the price is perfect. Don't hesitate.
Old 07-08-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
For anyone on the fence regarding the Bergman box set... Get it. It's so damn good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.