Reload this Page >

50% OFF MSRP BRITISH TV Blu-rays Barnes & Noble

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Print Wikipost

50% OFF MSRP BRITISH TV Blu-rays Barnes & Noble

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts
re: 50% OFF MSRP BRITISH TV Blu-rays Barnes & Noble

20% off qualifying orders
SNOWFALL
expires December 11, 2018 at 2:59am Eastern Time
Old 12-12-18, 10:03 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
20% off qualifying orders
SNOWFALL
expires December 11, 2018 at 2:59am Eastern Time
Any word on a new code?
Old 12-12-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Any word on a new code?
Not yet, but it seems this year they aren't doing 2 codes per week like last year.

New codes usually show up on Thursday for the weekend so probably tomorrow or sometime after 12:01am ET tonight on the website if you want to get orders in more quickly
Old 12-12-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The new Picnic At Hanging Rock mini-series from Acorn appears to qualify for the British sale. It's an open-ended Australian mystery starring Natalie Dormer. Worth a look if you like the actress.

http://doblu.com/2018/12/12/picnic-a...lu-ray-review/
Old 12-13-18, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Morning emails sent out. Shockingly it appears there isn't an online coupon and only a 15% instore code.

15% OFF ONE ITEM
X8L3H8F
Expires December 16, 2018 at close of business

Weekend 50% Criterion Sale ONLINE ONLY -- no coupons

In-store it appears the BRITISH TV sale might be 60% off now. Not sure if it's all items or select items though it appears it may be all. It also appears the 60% off may be extended to 12/24 in-store.
I'm not sure there a way to confirm this until someone looks in store.

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-13-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an email this morning with a 20% off member coupon, in-store only. It's good through the weekend. "50% off offers" are excluded.
Old 12-14-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of the 50% special offers are excluded. That language was on last weeks codes too, but the 25% codes still worked for the movies, but the Special Christmas 50% Books, Toys, Misc were blocked.

Criterion as usual are blocked

British TV now appears blocked online and in-store. I'm not sure when that changed, but probably happened Tuesday. The items are labelled blocked on the regular website, but are on the mobile site I noticed when I was in store today and checking local inventory for some items.

Arrow are still coupon eligible online and instore

The British TV sale is now confirmed 60% off IN-STORE. Member discount applies, but not coupons.
Essentially that about the same as last weeks 50%+member+20% coupon so next terrible, but disappointing.

Similar to Killraven666 above, one of the veteran clerks I've seen for years mentioned in passing as we were talking discounts and coupons that the Member Discount may be in jeopardy for certain future sales. I had just given a couple customers some spare 15% coupons since they didn't have any.

She wasn't happen at all at the prospects of having to explain why some items were eligible, some weren't, and some of her long time customers being shocked if that happens. She then correctly mentioned how much harder selling a membership was going to be if that was the case.
Old 12-14-18, 11:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar to Killraven666 above, one of the veteran clerks I've seen for years mentioned in passing as we were talking discounts and coupons that the Member Discount may be in jeopardy for certain future sales. I had just given a couple customers some spare 15% coupons since they didn't have any.

She wasn't happen at all at the prospects of having to explain why some items were eligible, some weren't, and some of her long time customers being shocked if that happens. She then correctly mentioned how much harder selling a membership was going to be if that was the case.
Spoke with customer relations today and they said they wished I had called while in the store so that they could speak directly with the store personnel because that is not the new policy. So if it happens call 1-800-962-6177 while in the store and let them handle it. The lady I spoke with said that she was gonna forward it over to be sent down to stores.
Old 12-15-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Killraven666
Spoke with customer relations today and they said they wished I had called while in the store so that they could speak directly with the store personnel because that is not the new policy. So if it happens call 1-800-962-6177 while in the store and let them handle it. The lady I spoke with said that she was gonna forward it over to be sent down to stores.
It's one of those things I'm not really going to believe until it happens. The last really major thing they changed was when they removed the 10% online discount years ago. There have been a few of these trial balloons over the years that went beyond the "we;re considering a change ..." that never happened -- various things like increasing the yearly fee, different levels of membership, changing shipping and possibly returning online discounts,

OTOH, losing the instore discount on whole swaths of items would be akin to pulling the plug on the member program. Mine's not due until May so quite a bit of time to watch.

I have little doubt it was either discussed at one point at some level and possibly someone may have taken way beyond the 'we're considering stage' jumping the gun. It also could have been someone mixing up coupons and other discount eligibility.

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-16-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-16-18, 04:51 PM

In my local store this afternoon, signs for the 60% off British TV sale claimed valid 12/18 through 12/24, so perhaps on-line will be 60% for starting tomorrow...?
Old 12-16-18, 09:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's one of those things I'm not really going to believe until it happens. The last really major thing they changed was when they removed the 10% online discount years ago. There have been a few of these trial balloons over the years that went beyond the "we;re considering a change ..." that never happened. OTOH, losing the instore discount on whole swaths of items would be akin to pulling the plug on the member program. Mine's not due until May so quite a bit of time to watch.

Various things like increasing the yearly fee, different levels of membership, changing shipping and possibly returning online discounts,

I have little doubt it was either discussed at one point and someone may have taken beyond the 'we're considering stage.' It also could have been someone mixing up coupons and other discount eligibility
So I was again at my local store talking to the same employee and mentioned that I had spoke with customer relations Friday. She said that lots had called and made complaints about potentially losing the discount so the whole idea was scrapped and a memo circulated telling them that it wasn't going to happen. Some idiot up the corporate ladder decided to alienate the people who actually spend money with the company just happened to get smacked down off their pedestal.
Old 12-16-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chris-K
In my local store this afternoon, signs for the 60% off British TV sale claimed valid 12/18 through 12/24, so perhaps on-line will be 60% for starting tomorrow...?
No, it started last Tuesday in-store. The signs were pre-made and apparently they bumped the sale forward a week. One of my stores just put the signs up and confused everyone -- I asked to make sure and the manager (I think) confirmed it was active starting last Tuesday.

The other store had a modified sign in the upper right corner -- a diagonal stick-on that said NOW ACTIVE. A sign on another stand had a similar sign, but someone had taken a Black Sharpie and drawn a cool little x-out through 12/18 and written the new start date above the 12/18 date changing it to 12/11 in Bold Red with an old school Happy Face.

My big hope is that when the online 50% ends that they'll remove the Coupon Block (intentionally or by accident) and hopefully a raft of Xmas Week coupons -- 2 or 3 rounds of 20/25/30% online and In-store
Old 12-16-18, 10:05 PM

Perhaps they should rename it to "English-language TV series not made in the USA sale" as I saw both Versailles and a New Zealand series as part of the 60% off display. (Though not The Brokenwood Mysteries) to go along with the various Australian and Canadian series available from BBC Video and Acorn.

Anyway, grabbed myself SS-GB and The Barchester Chronicles this afternoon. Last year I think I spent nearly $300 at bn.com on the British sale.
Old 12-16-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chris-K
Perhaps they should rename it to "English-language TV series not made in the USA sale" as I saw both Versailles and a New Zealand series as part of the 60% off display. (Though not The Brokenwood Mysteries) to go along with the various Australian and Canadian series available from BBC Video and Acorn.

Anyway, grabbed myself SS-GB and The Barchester Chronicles this afternoon. Last year I think I spent nearly $300 at bn.com on the British sale.
The combination of series that fit has always been mixed bag. Most Canadian series seem to be included, some AUS series.

Brokenwood is one of my big wants, but like Miss Fisher a few years ago isn't part of the British TV sets.

Even some weird things that should be included are misclassified -- Lost Kingdom S1 isnt, S2 and 3 are. Hitchhikers Guide BD though it's one of the few BBC Warners that aren't part of the sale.

I'll add the new discount codes, but so far no change in the coupon block
20% Off $40+ Online Orders
BEMERRY
Expires December 19, 2018 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

20% Off One Item In-Store
E8L4Y8R
December 19, 2018 at close of business.

Members should be getting a similar one time 25% In-store Code

Coupons don't appear to be working on BritishTV for now, but do work on other items like Arrow. Hopefully if the 40% off All BD starts tomorrow it will work for those items.

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-17-18 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Any word on the 40% off all blu ray sale that usually follows the British TV sale? That was always my go to for Warner Archive titles shipped to home.
Old 12-17-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got feelers out and nobody has any hard information. Like in June either the Clerks don't know or are being threatened not to say. There was one report on bluray of someone who asked a longtime clerk today and he said "That starts next Tuesday." Obviously not going to start on Christmas so my guess is he got his weeks messed up and meant next Tuesday/tomorrow at least in store. Since the Criterion sale ended online yesterday and British ends online tonight, you'd really think they'd have something ready for the last week push which has always been the 40% Sale.

I have my Warner Archive list already made up as well as the Sony and Universal MOD items like Emmet Otter, Young Guns II, Robin and Marian, etc which are all sourced through Allied Vaughn and follow the same Almost never on Sale pattern. If the British in-store items open up to coupons, I may make another run at a few I was going to get this week but shut down.

Sort of had Batman Animated on my list, but both versions are OOS for now so that may not happen. That's not a high want, but for $35 I might have bit rather that waiting a year of the steep deals.
Old 12-17-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It appears the sale has been officially extended and increased to 60% Off MSRP online and in-store through the end of Monday December 24
Old 12-20-18, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll post the lastest discount code, the the British items appear to be blocked unless they take pity the last few days

20% OFF ONE ITEM IN-STORE ONLY
B7M9P7X
Expires December 24, 2018 at close of business.

Members should be seeing a 25% code -- one time use in-store only
Old 12-02-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't think I'll bother with a new thread, but the 50% British TV sale has started and is scheduled to last through end of Christmas Eve
Coupons blocked as expected and coupons in general extremely limited

Hoping like the last couple years this escalates to 60% at some point.