Amazon Black Friday deals calendar?

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 11-20-17, 04:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Here it is November 20th, I've been Google-searching for the last 45 minutes for Amazon's Black Friday Calendar for this year so I can try to plan out my Black Friday and I can't find anything. I've visited all the BF sites in an effort to find the damned calendar and failed miserably. It's getting really frustrating. Last year they had it up several days (or a week) in advance and I was able to get a pretty good idea of how I wanted to plan out my Black Friday (ultimately ended up buying most of my videos at Best Buy because I despise Amazon's Black Friday lightning deals plan, I'm usually working during the times the videos I want go live).

Does anyone have any better idea of what Amazon's doing this year for Black Friday and why they're waiting so long to post their BF deals calendar?
Old 11-20-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Re: Amazon Black Friday deals calendar?

Yeah, Amazon's Black Friday sales suck. Hariseldon is right; they've been making it harder and harder to track their ligtning deals each year. It's pretty obvious that they know they need to have Black Friday deals for the optics, but they really don't want to do it. It's not like they need to get foot traffic into physical stores. So they push these "ligtning deals" that sound good, but sell out quickly, are difficult to find, and kind of useless unless you're a Prime member.
Old 11-20-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

No calendar, just this link for side-scrolling current & upcoming Lightning Deals:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sd_per_...ode=2625373011
Old 11-20-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not seen an actual calendar, though I wish there was.

Occasionally some "deals" have popped up here (you have to scroll down a bit) with little/no advance notice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/b/ref=gbps...77CT3W&ie=UTF8
Old 11-20-17, 05:08 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Then, basically it's going to be another Best Buy/Target Black Friday for me this year. I usually don't have bad things to say about Amazon, they've been good to me, but their Black Friday plan sucks ass.
Old 11-20-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, Amazon's Black Friday sales suck. Hariseldon is right; they've been making it harder and harder to track their ligtning deals each year. It's pretty obvious that they know they need to have Black Friday deals for the optics, but they really don't want to do it. It's not like they need to get foot traffic into physical stores. So they push these "ligtning deals" that sound good, but sell out quickly, are difficult to find, and kind of useless unless you're a Prime member.
My Prime Membership expired a couple of days ago. So I guess I'm useless to Amazon. Any way brought a bunch of blu-ray & 4K blu-rays on BB last night.
Old 11-20-17, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
No calendar, just this link for side-scrolling current & upcoming Lightning Deals:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sd_per_...ode=2625373011
The deals calendar you are all looking for will be available sometime late Wednesday or early Thursday morning. Its their SOP.

You'll be able to plan around those LDs, if you can do such a thing with a few hours notice, but, of course, you wont have the notice of a week or so like it was way back when.
Old 11-20-17, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Then, basically it's going to be another Best Buy/Target Black Friday for me this year. I usually don't have bad things to say about Amazon, they've been good to me, but their Black Friday plan sucks ass.
They've gotten out of the proactive business with 3rd party items they sell - movies, TVs, video games, clothes, etc. They now just match most in-store BF prices and discount their overstock (which is what a lot of retailers do anyway). Amazon's real deals are with their direct items - Kindle, Fire Tablets, etc. And the term "real deal" is subjective.

I mostly use them for price matching on BF movies so I don't have to go into anybody's store early and fight to find stuff. Plus, I stack up gift cards from the previous Christmas and throughout the year to buy this stuff at a discounted rate. Rather than pay cash or charge a purchase at Best Buy, Target or Walmart, I just pull the trigger on Amazon, using their currency.
Old 11-21-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
They've gotten out of the proactive business with 3rd party items they sell - movies, TVs, video games, clothes, etc. They now just match most in-store BF prices and discount their overstock (which is what a lot of retailers do anyway). Amazon's real deals are with their direct items - Kindle, Fire Tablets, etc. And the term "real deal" is subjective.
+1

Amazon isn't for bargain hunters anymore.
Old 11-22-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
+1

Amazon isn't for bargain hunters anymore.
I wouldn't go that far, I've been able to grab some really good things in years past. But it's certainly much harder to find those deals though.

Amazon isn't for casual bargain hunters anymore ...there ya go.
Old 11-23-17, 07:23 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Turns out Amazon price matched most of the BF deals I was looking for but I had to search for each one to actually find out they'd price matched it. I wish they'd get their shit together and list all the stuff they're offering up for BF prices instead of making us wonder what's what.

Ended up buying Supernatural S12 at Best Buy for $9.99 though, apparently Amazon hadn't gotten the memo on that one.
Old 11-23-17, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I don't know what the fuck Amazon is thinking this year. Instead of putting all these deals in an easy place to find them, they decided to go the lazy route and just price match. Their Black Friday really sucks
Old 11-23-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I don't know what the fuck Amazon is thinking this year. Instead of putting all these deals in an easy place to find them, they decided to go the lazy route and just price match. Their Black Friday really sucks
They didn't do a video calendar of deals LAST YEAR. So, this w[h]ine is aging.

Originally Posted by kd5
Turns out Amazon price matched most of the BF deals I was looking for but I had to search for each one to actually find out they'd price matched it. I wish they'd get their shit together and list all the stuff they're offering up for BF prices instead of making us wonder what's what..
So ... the end result is you go to their site more often to check things out. And ... that's a bad thing for a merchant to do? Please.

Meanwhile, this site does a good job of showing the deals for you.

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?retail...egory=2kbluray
Old 11-23-17, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
They didn't do a video calendar of deals LAST YEAR. So, this w[h]ine is aging.

So ... the end result is you go to their site more often to check things out. And ... that's a bad thing for a merchant to do? Please.

Meanwhile, this site does a good job of showing the deals for you.

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?retail...egory=2kbluray
They didn't do a calendar but they had all the stuff organized on their lightning deals and daily deals. They don't have it the same way like the last several years, which made it easy for everyone to find the price matching deals but also other items that other retailers didn't have.