DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/634913-select-kino-titles-hamilton-book-starting-%246-95-a.html)

laidbacklarkin 06-13-16 07:38 PM

Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Seems like the lowest prices on these titles, at least the ones priced b/w $6.95 and $12.95:

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/products...earch&offset=0

one of the best mail order catalog retailers to deal with, have had great experience with them.

PhantomStranger 06-13-16 11:09 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Definitely some fine prices.

Spiderbite 06-14-16 06:52 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
You can also get some decent prices on a few Arrow titles as well. I picked up a few Kino titles the other day along with Arrow's Mark Of The Devil and Island Of Death. This was my blu-ray order from them the other day.

2745704 1 Naked Face, Blu-ray *BLU 7.95
3574571 1 Pit Stop *BLU 7.95
3631729 1 Ruins *BLU 3.95
2745593 1 Flesh + Blood, Blu-ray *BLU 9.95
3553655 1 Island of Death *BLU 14.95
276492X 1 When a Stranger Calls/Happy Birthday*BLU 2.95
2762412 1 Three Stooges: Triple Feature, Time *BLU 4.95
2724146 1 Flesh and Blood Show: Redemption *BLU 9.95
2764717 1 Hollow Man/Hollow Man 2 *BLU 2.95
4545605 1 Chesty Morgan's Bosom Buddies, Deadl*BLU 11.95
2685981 1 Mark of the Devil *DVD 11.95

It says that Mark Of The Devil is DVD but it clearly states in the summary that it includes a BD and is the 2 disc release that Arrow did. And the copy of Pit Stop I got is the Code Red version. They also had the Arrow version for $10. I did some reading and while the Arrow version has better extras, the Code Red seems to have a better transfer. I would rather go with better picture quality over extras any day so I went with the Code Red version.

laidbacklarkin 07-25-16 08:08 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Was just checking this list out again - the # of titles have reduced significantly. 'Pandora and the Flying Dutchman' is no longer available as well

PhantomStranger 07-25-16 08:51 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
The Crimson Cult is a fine piece of vintage horror in the British tradition.

alfonsosoriano 07-26-16 08:52 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Didn't see this before, but happy to get Thieves Like Us and Buffalo Bill... at those prices. Also added in Long Weekend, the Australian horror flick, which was $10 on Blu.

g 08-25-16 08:52 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Hamilton just added some cool WARNER titles for $5.95 like Action Jackson, Dangerous Liasions, Postman Always Rings Twice with Jack Nicholson, Grand Hotel, Bonfire of vanities, jeremiah Johnson and others.
I hadn't bought some of these because it was hard to get good price.

Warner Titles
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/products...h=Start+Search


Another good deal is Atonement for 1.95
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/atonement


Avoid posting to that other forum to avoid these going out of stock.

MooMooMooMoo 08-26-16 01:37 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Unreal prices! Unfortunately with my finances, I can't even justify $6 for an upgrade of something I already own on an acceptable quality dvd.

This recession has got to end................. right?????

Living Deadpan 08-26-16 02:52 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
They added a lot of new studio catalog Blu-rays for $5.95, I'm seeing Sony & Universal too.

Some $5.95 BDs:
13 ASSASSINS (Canadian BD)
CENTURION (Canadian BD)
EASTERN PROMISES
ELYSIUM Steelbook
ISHTAR
MANDINGO (Legend Films release, AFAIK)
THE KILLER (Dragon Dynasty)

$6.95 - REC 2 (Canadian)
$7.95 - THE SEARCHERS / THE WILD BUNCH / HOW THE WEST WAS WON
$9.95 - HOOSIERS / ROCKY / BULL DURHAM / RAGING BULL

dex14 08-26-16 10:16 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Is the only way to see all of the blu-rays by searching for "blu-ray" ?

There are some really good deals on some DVDs too.

laidbacklarkin 08-26-16 11:57 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12883021)
Is the only way to see all of the blu-rays by searching for "blu-ray" ?

There are some really good deals on some DVDs too.

Yes, to your question. And agree on DVD pricing as well - one e.g is the Samuel Fuller collection that's the lowest that you can find anywhere: http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-samu...lectors-choice

EDIT: Here's another one for a buck and its a great feature: http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-man-and-the-monster

BobO'Link 08-26-16 01:21 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
^They still have a few other Casenegra titles at bargain pricing:

Curse of the Crying Woman - $3.95
The Living Coffin - $3.95
The Witch's Mirror - $3.95

And don't forget:

The Elia Kazan Collection - $19.95

And the incredible Ford at Fox Collection for $39.95

Cardsfan111 08-26-16 02:42 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
I just sent off a mail order a few days ago. Haven't ordered that way before, but I figured I'd save some on the S/H cost that way. But I'm crossing my fingers things stay in stock by the time my order is received.

g 08-26-16 03:05 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
If it gets mentioned on that other forum, the items get sold out. They bought out the black pirate and other kino items when there was a thread about it over there. Its why I dont know why people post limited items there. When The Ash vs Evil Dead set was posted in the deal thread there it migrated to SD as well causing many orders to be cancelled.

Brian T 08-26-16 07:07 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by g (Post 12883272)
If it gets mentioned on that other forum, the items get sold out. They bought out the black pirate and other kino items when there was a thread about it over there. Its why I dont know why people post limited items there. When The Ash vs Evil Dead set was posted in the deal thread there it migrated to SD as well causing many orders to be cancelled.

In our favour, we did post an early heads-up when Kino itself unloaded Black Pirate and a bunch of other going-OOP titles at even better $4.99 fire sale prices a few months back. I'm sure the other place got wind of it, too, but at least several folks here got some unbelievable deals. :)
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...-jan-31-a.html

Living Deadpan 08-26-16 08:27 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
If you're interested in more of HB's DVD deals, you can find some perusing HB's long-running thread over at "DVD Bargains".

Some of the DVD bargains posted in the last year are still surprisingly in stock.

For starters, they're still selling some Code Red & Scorpion DVDs that are now OOP or mainly sold direct.

Strapped4Cash 08-26-16 11:05 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by g (Post 12883272)
If it gets mentioned on that other forum, the items get sold out. They bought out the black pirate and other kino items when there was a thread about it over there. Its why I dont know why people post limited items there. When The Ash vs Evil Dead set was posted in the deal thread there it migrated to SD as well causing many orders to be cancelled.

True. Although the sale at DVD Empire was first posted there on the 6th, before being posted here (I believe). It was just in the dedicated thread, where SD didn't notice it. So they had it for awhile and it stayed active.

The problem was much later when, as you say, a member there posted it in the Deals sub-forum too, and particularly when it went to SD.

PhantomStranger 08-26-16 11:27 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
SlickDeals kills any good deal.

AaronSch 08-27-16 01:04 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Thanks for this thread. I simply chose "movies" from the drop down and then refined the search by selecting "Blu-ray." It filtered down to just 490 titles and there were quite a few I wanted to add to my collection for $5.95 and less. No tax and averaged about $5.63 per title before shipping. It looks like shopping the deals at Big Lots! and Dollar General are now pointless. The selection is far better.

laidbacklarkin 08-27-16 01:19 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Darn, waited too long and missed 'The Black Pirate' :-(...but still, plenty good deals to be had. And definitely check out DVD's too - titles that are OOP elsewhere and stand little/no chance to make it on HD

MooMooMooMoo 08-27-16 08:39 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Does anyone know if they have an email "Newsletter"/sale list sign up? I don't see one.

Pretty picked over for me, but I suspect they could be a good resource based on what I am seeing at the link posted above.

BobO'Link 08-28-16 08:13 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
^Not that I know of. I make semi-regular purchases and all I receive are regular catalogs in the mail. The only emails I've ever received are order verification and order shipped. Even though they have PDFs of their print catalogs online you don't know there's a new one until it arrives in the mail or you check the site. In spite of having a online presence they're very much "old school" when it comes to marketing. It works for them so they don't change it.

I try to remember to check the site every so often to look for new titles, which is fairly easy. Do a Power Search using a date range and set it to look for stuff added since the last time you searched the site. Add other filters as needed/desired (DVD or BR as media and maybe a publisher). I also look at the "Price Cuts and Last Chance Titles" list a couple of times a month. I don't know of a easy way to see what's been added there.

g 08-30-16 07:22 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
I got my shipment of Warner titles and some of them are slashed on the barcode and some just have a sticker on the barcode.. But I guess that explains the great price. I probably would have bought anyway, but they should note it in the description. I bought from them before and hadn't got many of those. But Warner has their way of doing things. As you find this kind of thing at Big lots too.

BobO'Link 08-30-16 09:10 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
^I looked for the post by GoldenWheels in the regular Hamilton Book Bargains thread where he talks about the slashed UPCs. I couldn't find it but here's what I recall him saying: They *do* have a indication by DVDs showing them to be "remaindered" *but* that doesn't always/necessarily mean there's a slashed UPC. They've received titles where one box will be slashed and another box *of the same title* will have a new sticker or nothing at all. Because of this they have no way of indicating this accurately in the catalog or online so don't put the information out there. Generally it's the "majors" who'll slash the UPC and the smaller distributors just don't bother as it takes too much time/effort to do this.

PhantomStranger 08-31-16 01:50 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Smaller distributors don't have the complicated talent deals where each sold copy directly translates to extra money for the director or lead actor. Most Hollywood studio movies have strict accounting for each unit sold, which is why the studios are obsessed about making sure cut-outs don't count as a unit sale.

js2shops 08-31-16 11:51 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Phantom-I could be wrong, but I think DVD/CD is like books...once it gets "sold" to a retailer/distributor, that already counts as a sale in terms of accounting, at least for royalties. I think when it gets returned (usually on credit for the retailer as unsold) is when it gets the slash. That's how it works for books, as legally they cannot sell it as a "new" product even though it was unsold.

I would LOVE to have an industry lawyer/accountant give me the lowdown on the particulars of that.

laidbacklarkin 09-01-16 12:06 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
But seriously, what's with this intense scrutiny on slashed UPCs ? As long as it's not the disc that's slashed, can't the condition of the cover be overlooked owing to its bargain pricing ? I mean, really who cares about a 1 inch slash on the back of a DVD case, when it in no way affects the viewing experience ?

AaronSch 09-01-16 01:13 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 12887073)
But seriously, what's with this intense scrutiny on slashed UPCs ? As long as it's not the disc that's slashed, can't the condition of the cover be overlooked owing to its bargain pricing ? I mean, really who cares about a 1 inch slash on the back of a DVD case, when it in no way affects the viewing experience ?

Yeah, a slashed UPC isn't as much an issue as a beat up insert. You can buy Viva Elite and Vortex cases for around 50 via Discmakers and pop that insert in the sleeve and the slash through the insert is a non-issue. I purchased titles from Hamilton books for $5-$6 that are typically priced at $10-$13 via Amazon.

GoldenWheels 09-01-16 11:16 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 12884244)
Does anyone know if they have an email "Newsletter"/sale list sign up? I don't see one.

Pretty picked over for me, but I suspect they could be a good resource based on what I am seeing at the link posted above.

We are working on a New Arrivals style email but we're in a weird spot...we need to protect our catalog customer, they built the business. And they're largely saddled with snail mail, both for the catalog out and order in. If I let everybody on the web in on the good stuff day 1, you guys are smart to the market, and you wisely pick off the best bargains/OOPs etc, sometimes before the snail mailers even have the catalog! We're trying to figure out a fair way to serve both groups.


Originally Posted by g (Post 12886061)
I got my shipment of Warner titles and some of them are slashed on the barcode and some just have a sticker on the barcode.. But I guess that explains the great price. I probably would have bought anyway, but they should note it in the description. I bought from them before and hadn't got many of those. But Warner has their way of doing things. As you find this kind of thing at Big lots too.

I'm sorry about that g, we don't do a good job on that but if there's no * on a title, you have to assume it could have a remainder mark of some sort. When we came up in the book world, this was a known thing ("bargain books" meant a remainder mark, period) but as we moved into DVD/Blu (and into a modern age!) with newer customers we haven't gotten it across well.


Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12886634)
Smaller distributors don't have the complicated talent deals where each sold copy directly translates to extra money for the director or lead actor. Most Hollywood studio movies have strict accounting for each unit sold, which is why the studios are obsessed about making sure cut-outs don't count as a unit sale.


Originally Posted by js2shops (Post 12887063)
Phantom-I could be wrong, but I think DVD/CD is like books...once it gets "sold" to a retailer/distributor, that already counts as a sale in terms of accounting, at least for royalties. I think when it gets returned (usually on credit for the retailer as unsold) is when it gets the slash. That's how it works for books, as legally they cannot sell it as a "new" product even though it was unsold.

I would LOVE to have an industry lawyer/accountant give me the lowdown on the particulars of that.

I'm actually not sure myself...I think studios are stuck taking returns and they DON'T count as sales for royalties purposes. But that's above my level! (we do NO returns, vendors love us for it)

Remainder marks/cutouts also are simply to keep a title from being returned for a full credit at a store or vendor that may be selling it for more than the new bargain/overstock price, allowing an unscrupulous guy/company to make a few bucks by buying bargain and returning as new.

GoldenWheels 09-01-16 11:20 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
And thanks for the thread guys, seriously! I am trying to expand blu but the bargain market for it is not great, period, and on big studio stuff it's near impossible for me to beat the 5$ prices you'll find on Amazon.

But with the smaller guys like Kino and Shout etc, I work hard to build up a good relationship and buy up as much of their OS as possible when it is shown to me, and price it right so I can move it fast. There are opportunities there to be had. I should hit up Code Red actually, haven't done that in a while.

laidbacklarkin 09-01-16 12:01 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 12887320)
And thanks for the thread guys, seriously! I am trying to expand blu but the bargain market for it is not great, period, and on big studio stuff it's near impossible for me to beat the 5$ prices you'll find on Amazon.

But with the smaller guys like Kino and Shout etc, I work hard to build up a good relationship and buy up as much of their OS as possible when it is shown to me, and price it right so I can move it fast. There are opportunities there to be had. I should hit up Code Red actually, haven't done that in a while.

Awesome news !! Keep the updates coming...just mailed in a $150 catalog order

GoldenWheels 09-01-16 01:41 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 12887354)
Awesome news !! Keep the updates coming...just mailed in a $150 catalog order


Thank YOU! :)

PhantomStranger 09-02-16 12:03 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by js2shops (Post 12887063)
Phantom-I could be wrong, but I think DVD/CD is like books...once it gets "sold" to a retailer/distributor, that already counts as a sale in terms of accounting, at least for royalties. I think when it gets returned (usually on credit for the retailer as unsold) is when it gets the slash. That's how it works for books, as legally they cannot sell it as a "new" product even though it was unsold.

I would LOVE to have an industry lawyer/accountant give me the lowdown on the particulars of that.

Hollywood accounting is an arcane entity unto itself. Each guild in Hollywood (producers, writers, actors, etc) has very strict rules written into the standard contracts negotiated over the decades about the limits of allowed cut-outs and other contractual legalities.

Brian T 09-02-16 12:15 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 12887314)
We're trying to figure out a fair way to serve both groups.

Any chance of adjusting your billing/shipping address fields to accommodate people with U.S. shipping addresses but Canadian (or other) billing addresses? Or a Paypal option? You're just about the only online seller of your type that I'd use that doesn't have either option, and it's prevented me from placing many multiple-hundred-dollar orders over the years. I can do a snail mail order but I see no guarantee that it would be accepted because of this, plus it's rather inconvenient when a simple drop down menu option to select "country" (for billing only, not necessarily shipping) would do the trick. :)

GoldenWheels 09-02-16 02:50 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 12887868)
Any chance of adjusting your billing/shipping address fields to accommodate people with U.S. shipping addresses but Canadian (or other) billing addresses? Or a Paypal option? You're just about the only online seller of your type that I'd use that doesn't have either option, and it's prevented me from placing many multiple-hundred-dollar orders over the years. I can do a snail mail order but I see no guarantee that it would be accepted because of this, plus it's rather inconvenient when a simple drop down menu option to select "country" (for billing only, not necessarily shipping) would do the trick. :)


We have been working on Paypal for months, and we are getting closer. We switched to them for credit card processing specifically so people could use Paypal. It's going to happen, I just can't say how soon. :thumbsup:

Cardsfan111 09-02-16 02:58 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
I placed a mail order just over a week ago. First time I've ordered like that, having placed a couple of online orders previously. My shipment came today, so I wanted to offer another :up: to the folks at Hamilton. Great prices and fast shipping. Very satisfied. :up:

Ky-Fi 09-02-16 08:34 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
I (and my family members) have ordered from Hamilton Books for about 25 years, I think. Fantastic service and quick shipping--and the catalogs are just plain fun to browse.

AaronSch 09-03-16 10:26 AM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 
Just my two cents for what it's worth. This Hamilton Books thread should be a sticky albeit with a title change. There are incredibly good deals in addition to the Kino stuff. As soon as my first order arrives, likely Tuesday, I plan on placing a follow-up.

BobO'Link 09-03-16 02:15 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by AaronSch (Post 12888784)
Just my two cents for what it's worth. This Hamilton Books thread should be a sticky albeit with a title change. There are incredibly good deals in addition to the Kino stuff. As soon as my first order arrives, likely Tuesday, I plan on placing a follow-up.

FWIW there's a Hamilton thread in the DVD area. Goldenwheels regularly gives updates on noteworthy deals/titles he's acquired.

laidbacklarkin 09-13-16 07:49 PM

Re: Select Kino titles at Hamilton Book starting at $6.95
 

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 12887438)
Thank YOU! :)

Just received my $150 mail order. Well packed and super fast shipping. Thanks, Goldenwheels

EDIT: Two of the Warner DVD sets had deeply slashed UPCs and one of the BDs had a hole punched into the UPC. No issues but, cos the price is right


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.