Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Is it realistic that I'll find a better deal for Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection?

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Is it realistic that I'll find a better deal for Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...than the current price at Amazon ($107.49)

No store that I have looked at has anything that good, but I thought I could find a $100 or or lower deal this time of year (Yeah I know - $107 is pretty close).

Does anyone know if it got lower last year?
Old 12-04-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is it realistic that I'll find a better deal for Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection

Amazon.co.uk is probably the best option. Currently $80 shipped, but it's been cheaper. Note that it does not include North By Northwest.
Old 12-04-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Is it realistic that I'll find a better deal for Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection

The UK version (region free) is currently 47.22 pounds shipped . Only difference is it does not have North By Northwest . That is about $78 at the current rate of exchange.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Price quoted is after the removing the VAT and adding shipping.
Old 12-04-13, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I may have to consider that.

I'm somewhat surprised that this set and other smaller sets haven't been part of any great deals.
Old 12-04-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_m
...than the current price at Amazon ($107.49)
That's the lowest price it's ever been on Amazon. (I paid almost twice that last year!)

As far as great deals on high-def Hitch go, the MGM collection (Notorious, Spellbound, and Rebecca) is $14.96 on Amazon right now. The Essentials collection (Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds) is $32.49, also averaging about $5 a movie.
Old 12-04-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except for a few sets, most go down even when you think it's as low as it can be. Look at Alien, Potter and Lord of the Rings. I saw the Planet of the Apes set for around $20 last week.
Old 12-04-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Except for a few sets, most go down even when you think it's as low as it can be. Look at Alien, Potter and Lord of the Rings. I saw the Planet of the Apes set for around $20 last week.
It took a full year for that to happen. I remember that many of these were about $5 more a year ago and a year later, they are only $5 less. That LOTR EE set has not gone any farther than $39.99. The Bond set was $129 last year (and $99 on a LD that went by in a flash) and is $99 this year. So a year later, these will all definitely go down much more.

That being said, please also be aware of the mixed quality of presentation on the AH set - a new lower price might still not justify spotty quality. Please read reviews on various forums before taking the lower price plunge.
Old 12-04-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't doubt it will be $75 (or less?) a year from now, right about that $5/movie mark. How much value you put on the enjoyment of them between now and then is up to you.
Old 12-04-13, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UK version of Vertigo does not have the original monaural soundtrack. That is a deal-breaker for me.

I'll wait.
Old 12-04-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

I just watched through the entire UK set over the last couple months and it's the best dvd/blu purchase I've ever made.