Wreck-It Ralph release week pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wreck-It Ralph release week pricing

Thanks for the info on "Out Of Stocks"

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Picked up the non-3D version at Target today with the coupon. Wasn't planning to get it right away but for $13 it's worth it. The coupon clearly states any Blu-ray pack so I don't see why anybody would have a problem using it on the non-3D version.
The coupon's Blu Ray image is that of the "3D version"

Hope this helps!
Old 03-06-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
The coupon's Blu Ray image is that of the "3D version"
Yes, but the wording on the coupon doesn't restrict it to the 3D version. (while the wording on the $5 coupon specifically does)
Old 03-06-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Picked up the non-3D version at Target today with the coupon. Wasn't planning to get it right away but for $13 it's worth it. The coupon clearly states any Blu-ray pack so I don't see why anybody would have a problem using it on the non-3D version.
The only reason I know both Target and BB were out of stock on the 3D was because BB refused to honor the $7 coupon (I had a $5 reward zone coupon to stack). I said that it only says combo pack, but the manager refused to honor it, I'm fine with that if that really is only what the coupon is for and they wouldn't be reimbursed but 3D isn't mentioned anywhere. I simply walked away without saying a word. Target took it no problem.
Old 03-06-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to get the last 3D copy they had at a nearby Best Buy store. However had to order it online and do store pick up to make sure it would still be there. Then I had to return and repurchase it, so I could use the $7 coupon along with some RZ certs. If I took a chance buying it directly from the store doubt I would have found a copy. Seems all stores within a 50 mile radius are out of stock.
Old 03-07-13, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I was able to use my $7 coupon and $5 reward certificate at Best Buy today easily. Not quickly, but easily. There was only 3 copies left of the 3D version when I found mine--though the two people in front of me bought copies too. Not sure if they picked it up before I did or not, but am glad I got there when I did. Had to wait until today as there was a snowstorm and there was no way I was driving into town just for that! But hey, got it and without problems, so I'm glad about that!
Old 03-07-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by xage
Thanks for the info on "Out Of Stocks"
I'm out of stocks too and have been for several years because I don't trust the economy or stock market any more.

Speaking of the intended subject...

I went to 3 different Target stores (2 on Tuesday morning and 1 on Wednesday morning looking for stuff (besides Wreck It Ralph) which was OOS as usual at various stores... I had to go to 3 different stores to get everything I wanted... gone are the days when any 1 B&M store will have everything I want in stock at the same time). The first one had about 8 Wreck It Ralph 3D BDs around 9 AM and maybe 30 2D BDs out on display. I don't know how many they had in back. The second store was down to 3 3D BDs when I left it around 10am, and no 3D versions were to be found at the other Target on Wednesday morning. I expect all the 3Ds were gone by noon on Tuesday unless they had more in the back.

Given past experience with certain Disney releases at Target only getting 12 copies (it seems to be a magic number), I think that was the case in my area too. Even though I got mine, I think 12 copies is pretty pathetic for release day. I didn't go to "that other place" to see how many they had, but I'd think even they would have more than Target.

So these days when we have a movie (especially a Disney 3D one) in an ad at a price we like (and even better if we have a coupon in hand), the worry is no longer the price we'll pay but whether our beloved B&M stores can bother themselves to get more than 4-12 copies so that they aren't OOS early Tuesday morning. Good prices and coupons don't do much good if every store is OOS.

Now for a little Manzana rant: B&M stores in their ever-growing cheapness have given the words "low inventory" a new meaning in their attempts to have "just in time" inventory delivery which in reality usually ends up being "not in time" inventory delivery. Apparently they'd rather have customers annoyed and leave empty-handed than dare risk having a few too many copies and having to send some back to the distributor.

I've run into the OOS issue on Disney new releases (3D or Studio Ghibli ones especially) on Tuesday mornings around 10 AM a few too many times in the past and had to go through trouble and grief to get them. I finally ended up being forced to leave for work and go to Target shortly after they open at 8 AM just to make sure I can get them. Marvel Avengers 3D got 12 copies at my Target store on release day and was OOS at precisely 8:02 AM. I know this because I was the first one through the door, hustled to electronics, grabbed 1 for myself, and several other people grabbed the rest a few seconds behind me, and then one hoarder/reseller guy grabbed the remaining 5 copies... all OOS by 8:02 AM (I checked my watch). So I thank their low inventory new release business model for making me alter my Tuesday schedule so it's less convenient for me.

At least 12 copies of Wreck It Ralph 3D BD is better than their last Studio Ghibli BD releases which gotting a whopping 4 copies, but to quote Elton John "it's sad, so sad, so sad... it's a sad sad situation".
Old 03-07-13, 10:45 AM

I was surprised that the animated short "Paperman" that won an Oscar was included as a bonus feature. It was the first time I've seen it and it's not bad at all.
Old 03-07-13, 10:51 AM

Got my non-3d version at best buy yesterday. Unfortunately i got home and realized i got a bad copy, about 25 minutes into the movie it pauses and skips. I am going to have to exchange it this weekend.
Old 03-07-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sandman007
I was surprised that the animated short "Paperman" that won an Oscar was included as a bonus feature. It was the first time I've seen it and it's not bad at all.
They showed it before the movie in theaters so I would've been surprised if it wasn't on the bluray...
Old 03-07-13, 12:29 PM
Sem

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
Unfortunately i got home and realized i got a bad copy...
I doubt it. Most likely, your player needs an upgrade.
Old 03-07-13, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sem
I doubt it. Most likely, your player needs an upgrade.
I tried it on 2 different PS3s (that both say they are updated) and they both paused then skipped about 15-30 seconds at the same point.
Old 03-07-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sandman007
Pixar movies always have the short that came before it in theaters included on the media release.
Old 03-07-13, 02:14 PM

was able to PM target 19.99 price and use the $7 coupon at TRU and keep my pre-order. I was surprised they had the 2 disc in blu packaging, usually they only get 3d version in blu packaging. Too bad there weren't any pre-order cards for anything else to stack on top of the deal, walked out paying just a little over $9.
Old 03-07-13, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by micmac36
was able to PM target 19.99 price and use the $7 coupon at TRU and keep my pre-order. I was surprised they had the 2 disc in blu packaging, usually they only get 3d version in blu packaging. Too bad there weren't any pre-order cards for anything else to stack on top of the deal, walked out paying just a little over $9.
The Raplh BD wasn't released in DVD packaging.
Old 03-07-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Pixar movies always have the short that came before it in theaters included on the media release.
It's a good precedent; still, this wasn't Pixar.
Old 03-07-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yes, but the wording on the coupon doesn't restrict it to the 3D version. (while the wording on the $5 coupon specifically does)
What $5 coupon? I didn't know there was one for Ralph.
Old 03-07-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are some $5 mail in rebates if you buy either of these turkey products.

http://www.shadybrookfarms.com/wreck-it-ralph-rebate/

http://www.honeysucklewhite.com/wreck-it-ralph-rebate/
Old 03-07-13, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
What $5 coupon? I didn't know there was one for Ralph.
You're right. I must've just assumed there would be, as that was the case with Peter Pan.
Old 03-08-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had no problem price matching Target's ad at Wal-mart and using the $7 coupon. $14.19 out the door after tax and before I sell the DVD to my sister for $5.
Old 03-08-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Went to two stores to find the 3D Combo pack. Couldn't find it. It shouldn't be this difficult to find on release week. Ended up with the regular Combo pack because I don't want to spend all my time looking at other stores.
Old 03-08-13, 12:34 PM

The Raplh BD wasn't released in DVD packaging.
great news. I hope this is the case for all future releases as well. no more combo packs in dvd cases.
Old 03-08-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I had no problem price matching Target's ad at Wal-mart and using the $7 coupon. $14.19 out the door after tax and before I sell the DVD to my sister for $5.
are you seriously selling the DVD to your SISTER for $5?
Old 03-09-13, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by micmac36
great news. I hope this is the case for all future releases as well. no more combo packs in dvd cases.
Well, all of next weeks releases (Mulan, Brother Bear, Hunchback, Roger Rabbit) are being released in DVD packaging.

I think they're not releasing the new from theaters stuff in DVD packaging but the catalog releases are getting it. I dunno why. Brave wasn't released in DVD packaging either.
Old 03-09-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, all of next weeks releases (Mulan, Brother Bear, Hunchback, Roger Rabbit) are being released in DVD packaging.
That's crappy! I have shelves that are just tall enough for BD cases. If they put BDs in DVD cases, then I have to put them on my DVD shelves which is not where my BDs belong!

I assume this is because Disney is getting so cheap and greedy (just as they keep cutting down on new release coupons) to make separate BD and DVD case releases, so instead of cater to people who embrace new technology by going with BD cases only, they embrace people who chose to live in the past with DVDs. I'm surprised Disney still supports widescreen rather than pan & scam which the ignorant masses prefer. IMHO, if a BD is inside of a package, a BD sized case should be mandatory.
Old 03-09-13, 11:18 AM

They are being released in BD pakaging as well. I was just addressing micmac36's comment they aren't moving away from the strategy of releasing BD's in DVD pakaging, they just didn't do it for Ralph (and Brave, and some of the other recent new from theaters releases)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.