Old 01-14-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: Upgrade and Save coming back! 1/13 - 2/2

Picked up for $4.99 each after coupon:

Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Scrooged

Also, they are giving away $5 coupons for checking your mobile phone upgrade eligibility again.

And, this will be a YMMV, but in the HBO section, I found that the True Blood Season 5 Episode 1 samplers for the promotion a couple months ago were all marked down to $0.01 now. However, they still scanned at $3.99 at the register. A manager didn't have any problems with adjusting them down to the $0.01 sticker price though, so I got 8 DVD's and 3 Blu-ray's that will make great future Upgrade & Save fodder.
Old 01-14-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Unless you happen to live in an area with a lot of DVD Talkers or blu-ray.com'ers, I doubt that many people will rush down on Sunday and wipe out stock. But I wouldn't wait too long ...
Its also a case of whether they have any stock on certain titles to begin with, which they didn't of a few advertised $9.99 titles at my store.
Old 01-14-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Picked up for $4.99 each after coupon:

Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Scrooged

Also, they are giving away $5 coupons for checking your mobile phone upgrade eligibility again.

And, this will be a YMMV, but in the HBO section, I found that the True Blood Season 5 Episode 1 samplers for the promotion a couple months ago were all marked down to $0.01 now. However, they still scanned at $3.99 at the register. A manager didn't have any problems with adjusting them down to the $0.01 sticker price though, so I got 8 DVD's and 3 Blu-ray's that will make great future Upgrade & Save fodder.
Which BB was this at, Iwilei or the Aiea one? I saw 2 copies of Scrooged last week there (Iwilei) and wanted to pick one up but can't make it there till tomorrow? Also did you see any of the other Oscar films (only saw Inception, Training Day, Matrix) in stock?
Old 01-14-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, Scrooged is $9.99 in store right now?
Old 01-14-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes, the Warner release on January 1 is listed at $9.99. It has sku #7388171.
Old 01-14-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Been to multiple stores, all gutted. No Book of Eli, Austin Powers 3pk, Barbarella, Scrooged...

Only title I have found on my list was Guns Of Navarone.
Old 01-14-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Been to multiple stores, all gutted. No Book of Eli, Austin Powers 3pk, Barbarella, Scrooged...

Only title I have found on my list was Guns Of Navarone.
So lucky...that was my most wanted $9.99 title and my local Best Buy didn't have any copies.

I will likely go back tomorrow to check on Scrooged and likely upgrade my HD-DVD copies of Batman Begins and The Departed for $5 each.

Not really an "upgrade" in quality, but convenience considering I'm the only person I know with a HD-DVD player, so if I wanted to watch either movie elsewhere, Blu would be the way to go.
Old 01-14-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be shocked if they actually do strip the shelves of certain titles. I almost took pictures of the store when I went in today since there were entire areas of $9.99 titles that were just, well, stripped bare.

I wanted Guns Of Navarone and it was a nightmare. First off, like almost everything else in that section, it was tagged but empty. I asked a guy about it and he told me since it was an old that it was discontinued and they no longer sold it. I had to just about drag him to the tag, and he told me it was old. I told him to look closer, and finally he believed me when it was obviously a brand new tag printed just that morning listing that the price is good until March.

I finally talked him into taking a look at it on the in store customer kiosk. Since it came up as "shipping to store not available" he told me that it was indeed discontinued and they wouldn't ever have it again. Once more, I had to just about force the moron to take the SKU and actually look that up in their actual in store database. When he finally did that it came up as having three in their system, shown as in stock and available to purchase. I asked him to check the back, and he finally went back there. He came back and said that they must be in new boxes unsealed. I told him that may not be possible since they are already listed as in the store and available, and he told me all he could do is tell me to come back the next day when they'll put more stock out.

I said fine, whatever, and went back to the tag on the shelf and took it to customer service. I told them what the other moron told me and put me through, and they acted all amazed and went on how if it shows in their system, it is their policy to go get it and sell it to any customer asking for it. They checked the back, I waited for around 10 or 15 more minutes, and they finally came back saying they couldn't find it and again for me to come back the next day. I asked them since I had been waiting all this time for someone to find it for me if they could pull one and hold it for me for me to pick it up today, and they got incredibly snarky with me saying no, that I could just check back the next day and buy it if it happens to still be there.

I went back in today to pick up a few things, and not only was the shelf still almost totally empty but they hadn't even put the sales tag for this one back in the empty slot. A blue shirt happened to walk by and I asked about the movie, and he acted all offended and said for me to listen, they checked last night when I was there before and they didn't have it then and they never found it and didn't have it now.

Even though it was clearly listed as being in the store.

My wonderful experiences with this awful company continues.
Old 01-14-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so far I have went to two best buys and have had success especially compared to past sales.

first trip I found I saw the devil and barbarella which was my main goal and didnt think they would have it, but sure enough i found a copy of each. the steels and 3packs were not on sale at the first location and rang up normal prices so i skipped on them and reanimator was not tagged on sale and rang up 14.99

day 1
Dog Day Afternoon
Moon
Romeo n Juliet
Barbarella
I saw the Devil

i went to another best buy today for a second haul and scored the 3pack and re-animator i was looking for but had no steels

TMNT 3pack
A Nightmare on Elm St
American Beauty
Re-Animator
Ozombie - only title that was more then 5$ - was 7,99 after coupon.

Theres actually quite a few titles I want that are 5$ but im gonna hold off to see next week's ad before i buy anymore.
Old 01-14-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Gotta ask -- which store (since I suspect i know) was this?
Anderson, SC

I always, ALWAYS, have a bad experience there whenever I try to actually ask anyone anything or need any sort of assistance at all, even if it's blatantly in an ad or anything that is clear as day to everyone else in the world. I generally have a bad time at any Best buy store, but the Anderson, SC store is the absolute dirt worst. Their previous manager herself was even arrested for stealing iPads. It's no wonder the store is such crap in every way from the top down.

Which store were you suspecting? Greenville?
Old 01-14-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, so you are indeed familiar with this Anderson location? How did you nail it?

It is quite infamous in this area for being so awful. It certainly isn't just me.

Last edited by Brent L; 01-14-13 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Had to go to 2 stores to find everything I wanted, but it worked out well. The guy at the first store had no idea about the promotion, and then did a thorough inspection of each of my old discs for scratches and stuff. Then he asked to see my driver's license for buying an R rated movie (I'm 32).

The kid at the second store knew exactly what I was talking about and had me checked out in about 30 seconds. Didn't even look at the discs.

My haul:

Chuck Season 2
Kubrick Triple feature
Blazing Saddles/Caddyshack/European Vacation
Fight Club
Inglourious Basterds
Old School
Road Trip
Cruel Intentions
Ghostbusters
Taken
Old 01-14-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's kinda slim pickings for me because I already have so many of what's on sale already on Blu or HD DVD or just don't want to upgrade from DVD. All $5:

* Cruel Intentions
* Scrooged
* Friends with Benefits
* Midnight in Paris (gift for g/f)
* V For Vendetta/Constantine/Watchmen (replacing the first two on HD DVD)
Old 01-14-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Picked up for $5 each
Mean Girls
Superman 1/2/Returns
Oceans 11/12/13

Went to three stores looking for Aviator/Departed/Goodfellas... struck out.
Old 01-15-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Catch Me If You Can $10
(And the rest for $5 each..)
Animal House
Changing Lanes
School of Rock
Round 2, Fight!

A Perfect World $10
(And the rest for $5 each..)

Blades of Glory
Re-Animator
Road Trip
Old 01-15-13, 12:41 AM

Picked up these for $5 on Sunday;

Guns Of Navarone
Animal House
Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
Monty Python And The Holy Grail

I'll be out and about on Wednesday looking for the 3 packs. No dice at the 2 stores I already hit.
Old 01-15-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Which BB was this at, Iwilei or the Aiea one? I saw 2 copies of Scrooged last week there (Iwilei) and wanted to pick one up but can't make it there till tomorrow? Also did you see any of the other Oscar films (only saw Inception, Training Day, Matrix) in stock?
There were 2 copies of Scrooged at Iwilei. 1 after I was done. It might still be there.

For the Oscar movies, there were a few, but I don't remember which ones, because I was only interested in Casablanca. There's an endcap for the Oscar movies (on the stockroom side of the aisle), in case you didn't see it. I had them check, and there are 2 copies of Casablanca on order, so I'll check back again on Thur. They might be restocking whatever you're interested in too.
Old 01-15-13, 01:02 AM

Picked up The Firm and Dog Day Afternoon. Thought I was going to pull off the 4-disc War Horse for $12.99, but the cashier wouldn't price match that version (didn't initially realize the DVD packaging version was the one on sale).
Old 01-15-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Has anyone found North By Northwest (Keepcase Version) at their store?

I've read that it was on a new 'Oscar' display at certain Best Buy stores. Both of my local stores had a bunch of these in stock back in January.

Now both are out and the site shows, 'Not Available For Store Pickup'
Old 01-15-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't find the triple pack with The Departed at mine, all I really wanted.

Did grab the TMNT pack though.
Old 01-15-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Has anyone found North By Northwest (Keepcase Version) at their store?
No. Saw the display but it was almost empty. I would own it if it had been there.
Old 01-15-13, 12:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1/14
The Shawshank Redemption (steelbook) 4.99
Excision 9.99
Friends With Benefits 4.99
Did You Hear About the Morgans? 4.99
No Strings Attached 4.99
Old 01-15-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Taken 2 14.99
Zombieland 4.99
The Roommate 4.99
Lost Boys 3 pack 4.99
16 Blocks/The Last Boy Scout/Last Man Standing 4.99
Old 01-15-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked these up yesterday....

I saw the Devil
Barbarella
Training Day/John Q/Pelican Brief
2001: A Space Odyssey/Clockwork Orange/The Shining
V for Vendetta/Watchmen/Constantine
Old 01-15-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was worse than I possibly could have imagined. I waited until today because I wanted Taken 2. There were entire shelves empty, and others spread out so thin, the holes in the Titanic were smaller. They should be ashamed. I know these are loss leaders to get people in the store, but today bordered on bait and switch. I had trouble finding 3 titles I needed. I ended up overpaying for Ted just to use the coupon and not have to hit another store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.