Reload this Page >

Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 6/30/2017 (III) -- possibly a Member Only Code

NOTBORING (thanks logboy)
15% Off Single Item online -- unknown exp
appears to be one time use, but please report if it works more than once

15% Off Single Item
OFFERS15
GROUPON15
RMN15
CABIN15
Expiration 6/28 -not sure if 6/28 or 6/29 2:59am ET though I suspect the latter

ONLINE CODES
ALL BELOW CODES ARE EXPIRED 5/23
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
None

15% off One Item Online --
None

Upcoming possible codes -- let me know if you find they;re active

Finally hooked up with new coupons. With the coupon reset and possible new coupon policy, all bets are off on one-time vs multiuse online or instore. Note a few new variations for the first time since 2010 or so
"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES ONLINE August 28, 2017 2:59am ET -- these should be one-time use per member online
M9A8N4E $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item
R9M3X8V $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item
Y9V3W9J $15 off Any Turntable
U7A4V4M $5 off Vinyl LP (THIS DOESN'T APPEAR TO WORK ON CDs)
U3F7K3D $5 off $50 or more total Purchase
C3M9W9M $5 off one DVD/Blu-ray priced $10 or higher (SO FAR I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THIS TO WORK FOR ANY ITEM)

"New Member" Printable IN-STORE MEMBER ONLY Coupons Expire end of business August 27, 2017
In store Free Tall Caffé Latte with Any Café Purchase
In store $15 Off One Turntable
In store $5 Off One Vinyl LP
In Store $5 Off One DVD/Blu-ray price of $10+
In store $5 off $50 Total Transaction
Print Wikipost

Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I like a lot of the output from Olive Films but it is slightly irritating given how they price their titles that the discs are always bare bones. They've put out some great stuff though that probably wouldn't have come out otherwise. I'm thankful to them for finishing off King of the Hill from where Fox left off years ago.
Old 08-25-15, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Amazon DotD is Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD) for $97.99.
*discount is 56% off

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 08-25-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Companies like Criterion are involved with their transfers.
Which probably explains, in part, why their once excellent booklets are now nothing more than flimsy brochures. Had to cut somewhere, so out with the some of the scholarship and context that made Criterion's name, I guess.

Considering Kino and Olive (and presumably Shout in certain cases?) are working with titles that Criterion wouldn't touch, and in many cases even the original studio couldn't be bothered to treat with respect, I think Kino in particular has increasingly gone above-and-beyond in giving these second- and third-tier titles a fitting treatment. If people prefer to hold out for Criterion-grade masters of stuff like, uhh, Harry In Your Pocket, Woman of Straw, Navajo Joe, Bank Shot or what have you (all good shows, mind you, but quite forgettable in the grander scheme of things), then more power to them. I'd rather enjoy the films now, with perfectly acceptable audio and picture quality that, in most cases, vastly improves on earlier releases, assuming there were earlier releases at all!

None of this forgives Olive's high prices and lack of supplements, of course. Price is really the only thing that keeps me from loading up on their stuff (unless better U.K. editions exist, in which case my money goes there). At least Kino has a large enough catalog now (and growing like crazy) that they've eased up on pricing restrictions, it seems. I'm sure they'll relent even further when they start repackaging their catalog into double- and triple-features and 4-film collections. I can picture quite a few already . . .

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
& also a lot of Kino's choices of titles over the last year have not been up to their previous standards.
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I'm assuming Kino/LORBER is getting the licenses for these films dirt cheap.

Sounds about right, which is why, instead of expecting full-blown, speck-free HD restorations and whatnot, we can at least be grateful that: 1) titles like these are getting released on Blu-ray in OAR over here at all and 2) that Kino is flexible when it comes to allowing sale pricing on this kind of stuff, and 3) that Kino bothers to re-use existing supplements and commission new ones (huge case in point: Convoy, among many others). Much of Kino's "Studio Classics" catalog wasn't treated this well when MGM put them out originally (if ever).

Last edited by Brian T; 08-25-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Olive and Kino Lorber don't do their own transfers, that's why...they're stuck with whatever they're provided by the studio. Twilight Time is also stuck with whatever transfer a studio provides.

Companies like Criterion are involved with their transfers.
Both Olive and Kino Lorber have furnished new film transfers on occasion for Blu-ray. What they don't really do are film restorations, which separates them from labels like Criterion and Arrow Video.
Old 08-25-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Both Olive and Kino Lorber have furnished new film transfers on occasion for Blu-ray. What they don't really do are film restorations, which separates them from labels like Criterion and Arrow Video.
Which sucks and that's why I go for the Eureka! version of anything they would release here.
Old 08-25-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yes, but the transfers were/are done by the studios who own the movies - that's what I was trying to say. They aren't supervising the transfers that appear on their releases, so any blame needs to go to the studio that owns the film.
Old 08-25-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

My #1 bitch about Olive is that they apparently licensed the Betty Boop catalog & are releasing it in such a haphazard manner. I greatly prefer my Republic VHS box (yes I did say VHS).
Old 08-27-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water for Elephants $4.72

The Spy Next Door $4.97

Henry's Crime $6.60

Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam - Extended Edition (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) $7.86

Goal! The Dream Begins $7.87

House Broken $8.14

Bring It On $8.67

The Flintstones $8.88

Paycheck $9.11

Kissing Jessica Stein $9.57

Death at a Funeral $9.83

Witness (Pre-order) $9.99
Kiss the Girls (Pre-order) $9.99
Boulevard (Pre-order) $9.99
Old 08-27-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Witness and Kiss the Girls are quite enticing at those prices (and I would like to upgrade my DVD of Witness for sure). And so is Boulevard, but yet I have a feeling a certain member in my household just won't get that film and therefore I will have to watch it by myself when everybody else is off to bed. Hrmmm, decisions, decisions.
Old 08-29-15, 06:05 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Just ordered Witness, one of my faves. Thanks!
Old 08-29-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We Are Still Here - $9.99
http://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Still-H...ZJAFGJ5Q67VEJD
Old 09-03-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Looks like all FOX pre-orders were pulled from Amazon. I was thinking about pre-ordering Empire season 1 and it's currently not available.

How many times does Amazon have to re-negotiate their wholesale prices with the studios? I thought we just went through this with FOX.
Old 09-04-15, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Godzilla vs. Destroyah/Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is going for $8.62

It immediately shows the seller's price of (currently) $8.35. You have to see other sellers for Amazon. So pick and choose, yo.
Old 09-04-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Witness (Pre-order) $9.69 [anybody who pre-ordered at the higher price will get this new lower price]
Old 09-05-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Interstellar - bonus deal of the day for $8.99.
Old 09-07-15, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Amazon DOTD 9/7 GOT 1+2 BD: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-C...1616393&sr=1-1

$38.99
Old 09-08-15, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pre-order price for Criterion's Mullholland Drive Blu-ray has dropped to $22.49: http://www.amazon.com/Mulholland-Dr-...rive+criterion
Old 09-08-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Witness (Pre-order) $9.69 [anybody who pre-ordered at the higher price will get this new lower price]
I actually slept on the original $9.99 only to see it jump to $14, so I just pre-ordered at $9.69 before it changes again.
Old 09-08-15, 08:00 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Pre-order price for Criterion's Mullholland Drive Blu-ray has dropped to $22.49: http://www.amazon.com/Mulholland-Dr-...rive+criterion
why would you want to pay $22.49 when you can pick up this region free set of 3 DL movies for under $20 shipped ?

http://www.amazon.de/David-Lynch-Box.../dp/B004LV1N28

(from Amazon Germany) and I don't know why it never links properly when posting a non USA site. Go to Amazon.de and search for item B004LV1N28

EDIT: Just found out this set does not have English subtitles :-(...too late cos my order's on the way from Deutschland

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 09-08-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

West Side Story for $5
Old 09-09-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
why would you want to pay $22.49 when you can pick up this region free set of 3 DL movies for under $20 shipped ?

http://www.amazon.de/David-Lynch-Box.../dp/B004LV1N28

(from Amazon Germany) and I don't know why it never links properly when posting a non USA site. Go to Amazon.de and search for item B004LV1N28

EDIT: Just found out this set does not have English subtitles :-(...too late cos my order's on the way from Deutschland
Do these films need subtitles?

Last edited by jwstl; 09-10-15 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe because some people don't want to deal with international shipping?
Maybe because some people don't want to take a chance that a disc won't work on their player (even if it's region free) and have the hassle of trying to return it?
Maybe because movies are sometimes released differently in other countries and they might have a slightly different cut?
Maybe because it could be a completely different transfer of dubious quality?

And in this particular case the US release is from Criterion which has a reputation for going the extra mile to release a film correctly. This version of Mulholland Dr. was actually supervised by Lynch.

Most people on a DVD forum are aware that you might get a cheaper version of any movie if you look at international sites. But for the reasons listed above (and probably others) why waste your time when you can just pay a little more and know you're getting it done right?
Old 09-10-15, 09:49 AM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Maybe because some people don't want to take a chance that a disc won't work on their player (even if it's region free) and have the hassle of trying to return it?
Maybe because movies are sometimes released differently in other countries and they might have a slightly different cut?

And in this particular case the US release is from Criterion which has a reputation for going the extra mile to release a film correctly. This version of Mulholland Dr. was actually supervised by Lynch.

Most people on a DVD forum are aware that you might get a cheaper version of any movie if you look at international sites. But for the reasons listed above (and probably others) why waste your time when you can just pay a little more and know you're getting it done right?
>>lame. if there's a problem, the retailer bears the risk. and Amazon's great customer service is the same across all their setups. besides, if you haven't shopped Zavvi, Arrow etc, you don't know that sometimes you receive their orders faster across the pond, than you do with coast to coast shipping here in the USA. And all of these retailers have great customer service

>>makes no sense speculating on this. there are reasons forums and reviewing sites exist - to put out this sort of information clearly out there. Region free Bluray HD content is region free - there's no ifs and buts. however, standard content encoded in PAL (usually on extras) can be a limitation depending on the equipment you use for playback. But again, am not saying EVERYONE has to get this - am saying consider an alternative when it makes financial sense and for the informed masses that knows how to work around limitations. Its my assumption that a good percentage of folks here on these forums are savvy enough that way. And this is also an option for some (like me) for who the main feature is the driver, not the extras

>>review sites. is there anything you cannot find on the internet now ?

>>same answer as above - review sites

for this set, go to bluray.com, set your country to Germany, find this set, check out the reviews for the individual movies and be your own judge. am not dissing Criterion here - am just saying be aware of alternatives that may work for you. with the Euro being at record lows, there's just so much value importing many titles even with shipping charges.
Old 09-10-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

am not dissing Criterion here - am just saying be aware of alternatives that may work for you.
To be fair to Dr. Mantle, that's not how you expressed your original thought. It's easy for tone to be misunderstood when there's just text, but the tone of your question seemed to be looking down on anyone who would pay $22.49 for the U.S. release, rather than graciously offering an alternative for people to consider. You asked a question to which Dr. Mantle provided many very reasonable answers.
Old 09-10-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...with the Euro being at record lows, there's just so much value importing many titles even with shipping charges.
In agreement with your observations up to this point. The Euro may be at recent lows but I remember traveling once when it was worth 90¢ and the all time low was about 83.95¢ on Oct. 20, 2000. It's currently a long ways from record low territory.
Ah, those were the days to travel to Europe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.