Reload this Page >

Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 6/30/2017 (III) -- possibly a Member Only Code

NOTBORING (thanks logboy)
15% Off Single Item online -- unknown exp
appears to be one time use, but please report if it works more than once

15% Off Single Item
OFFERS15
GROUPON15
RMN15
CABIN15
Expiration 6/28 -not sure if 6/28 or 6/29 2:59am ET though I suspect the latter

ONLINE CODES
ALL BELOW CODES ARE EXPIRED 5/23
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
None

15% off One Item Online --
None

Upcoming possible codes -- let me know if you find they;re active

Finally hooked up with new coupons. With the coupon reset and possible new coupon policy, all bets are off on one-time vs multiuse online or instore. Note a few new variations for the first time since 2010 or so
"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES ONLINE August 28, 2017 2:59am ET -- these should be one-time use per member online
M9A8N4E $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item
R9M3X8V $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item
Y9V3W9J $15 off Any Turntable
U7A4V4M $5 off Vinyl LP (THIS DOESN'T APPEAR TO WORK ON CDs)
U3F7K3D $5 off $50 or more total Purchase
C3M9W9M $5 off one DVD/Blu-ray priced $10 or higher (SO FAR I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THIS TO WORK FOR ANY ITEM)

"New Member" Printable IN-STORE MEMBER ONLY Coupons Expire end of business August 27, 2017
In store Free Tall Caffé Latte with Any Café Purchase
In store $15 Off One Turntable
In store $5 Off One Vinyl LP
In Store $5 Off One DVD/Blu-ray price of $10+
In store $5 off $50 Total Transaction
Print Wikipost

Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Amazon discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Amazon got 90% of my business this year, B&N about 9%, and BB got 1%. Just for the Wolverine Extended deal and guess what? My store doesn't have King of Comedy on BD, so I got fucked out of that one even after I the pick-up at store option was selected. Typical bullshit from BB.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-01-14 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds about right for me too. Numbers would be a little higher for Amazon and a bit lower for B&N.
Old 12-01-14, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Amazon decided losing money on Black Friday media items was not a winning business plan, resulting in their worst BF sales this century.
Contradictory, confusing and unsupported by reality.

1. If they didn't want to lose money on media items, they wouldn't have priced-matched, would they?

B. This: http://www.businessinsider.com/black...y-ever-2014-11

Which is it? Is Amazon DOOOOOOOMED because some people with hundreds and hundreds of Blu-rays couldn't find another hundred to buy or could the fact that they have hundreds make deals moot? I know I was scrolling through the miles of titles at Best Buy and could only find 17 I wanted and the definition of "want" was pretty broad. (I had Independence Day on it when I don't care for the movie, have had the Five-Star Collection DVD for a decade and never watched it. How badly did I really want it?)

Amazon got 100% of my money unless you count the five $5 double-packs I got today at Dollar General. Best Buy could've sold me King of Comedy, but didn't have it on my side of town. Oh well. I just don't get the eagerness to burn Amazon to the ground because they didn't do $10 Criterions or read your mind and deliver what you wanted. It's as if you feel they've somehow forgotten how to sell stuff.
Old 12-01-14, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
ZERO Blu-ray buys from Amazon this year. I've spent at least $100 or more the past four or five years...and unlike previous years, I haven't bought a lot of Blu-rays during the year, so there should have been plenty for me to add to my collection - there were no titles/prices at all that appealed to me.

I'll be interested to see if in a month or so, Amazon reports their Black Friday sales were down this year...I know I'm not the only one who thought their sales were pretty lame (nothing on the videogame or book front either that caught my eye).
I ordered Stat Trek: The Next Generation. Basically a buy 1 get 1 free type of deal. I also used the 30% off to get a good deal on a pricey book. Other than that, nada.

I wonder if the $35 threshold for free shipping doesn't have something to do with it. Unless you're a prime member, paying shipping or meeting the $35 quota pretty much negates any bargains you get when you factor in the way Amazon staggers their deals. It would be nice if they had some kind of order hold in effect where you could keep adding items to an order over the week.

Prime also has to be kind of a bad deal for Amazon when you're looking at lots of low margin items being shipped out for free in individual orders.
Old 12-01-14, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by filmsoncon
This year, I got so frustrated with the gone-in-one-second Lightning Deals that I just gave up and went to Best Buy--and was pleasantly surprised by how easy everything was to find, and how well-stocked they were (and at LD prices--or better--to boot).
I rarely go to Best Buy but went on Saturday afternoon and most of what I wanted was gone. I did find three copies of Edge of Tomorrow that were labeled $24.99 while the bin for it labeled $7.99 was empty. I asked and it was indeed $7.99 so I bought it, though I'd forgotten it was going to be $6 in the Amazon lightning deal. It was about 20 minutes away when I was in BB and I thought about waiting there for it, but I'd already been there too long and wanted to leave.

I got most of the LDs I wanted from Amazon except Malificent. I didn't like the selection as much as previous years and I thought I might not get anything, but then I succumbed.

Originally Posted by Pizza
Music offerings were awful too.
Yeah, in the past they've had a number of big hits, but most of this year's sale titles I had never heard of.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I wonder if the $35 threshold for free shipping doesn't have something to do with it. Unless you're a prime member, paying shipping or meeting the $35 quota pretty much negates any bargains you get when you factor in the way Amazon staggers their deals.
This is the first BF with the $35 threshold so I'm sure it had some effect, though it'd be impossible to measure. Obviously the idea is to drive more people to Prime so I'm sure they'll consider it a success if that number increased.

It would be nice if they had some kind of order hold in effect where you could keep adding items to an order over the week.
You mean it would hold the pricing in your cart as you compiled enough items for free shipping? It would be nice, but we all know that will never happen. I kind of think of it as tucking your selections onto a shelf at Best Buy and coming back to pick them up the next day.

Prime also has to be kind of a bad deal for Amazon when you're looking at lots of low margin items being shipped out for free in individual orders.
It's definitely a big hit. That's why I laughed at the person who was saying in another thread that Prime was "pure profit." And that's just shipping cost, not the cost of Prime video and other stuff that people may or may not use.
Old 12-01-14, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered Stat Trek: The Next Generation. Basically a buy 1 get 1 free type of deal. I also used the 30% off to get a good deal on a pricey book. Other than that, nada.
Amazon had a 30% off coupon this year? Or are you talking about B&N? I know they have one today for clothing/shoes/jewelry/watches, but I didn't hear about one for books. I remember they did that last year but I think it was 20% off...
Old 12-01-14, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was for books only, max $10. It expired yesterday.
Old 12-01-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple fact is Amazon was not very competitive AT ALL. They offered no real unique deals, were slow to PM and there was no way to plan your purchases for those items they would PM in LDs (because they wouldn't reveal their calendar). It's hard to believe that any deal hunter would defend them, unless they were a fanboy. The only reason many of you were able to get the deals you did is because OTHER retailers had them first.

I can't help but feel this may hurt their Prime renewals. But I'm sure Amazon is anticipating that and is fine with purging their "devil" customers in favor of a clientele that will not be too concerned with price but with convenience and store loyalty.
Old 12-01-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now we've arrived at the part of the show in which the people who found plenty of good deals are told they're stupid fanboys for not knowing they were actually totally ripped off according to people who didn't get what they wanted. If they're not happy, then no one else could possibly be happy unless they were dumb. Yawn...

There's a lot of this going around lately. Some toolbox on a phone forum was howling about how defective he felt the phone was and how everyone was suffering from problems and if they didn't have complaints it was because they were either dumb fanboys or had no experience with quality phones before. Total presumptuous a-hole.
Old 12-01-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And why should Amazon be offering unique deals or going above and beyond what B&M groups are doing? So that you'll bare the weather and the traffic to get to their stores? Because video is a strategic and growing category? Please.
Old 12-01-14, 08:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just couldnt land any of the lightining deals, was never around at the time of the items hitting the market..

wound up buying $35 of stuff at BB to take advantage of some of the $3.99 deals and get free shipping
Old 12-01-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
It was for books only, max $10. It expired yesterday.
I don't think this is correct.

I used the code last night because I thought it was expiring, but the wording is still on my Amazon account. The fine print actually says: The promotion is valid for a limited time only, from November 26, 2014 at 9pm PST to December 1, 2014 at 11:59pm PST. So it looks like it's still good based on that.
Old 12-01-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I don't think this is correct.

I used the code last night because I thought it was expiring, but the wording is still on my Amazon account. The fine print actually says: The promotion is valid for a limited time only, from November 26, 2014 at 9pm PST to December 1, 2014 at 11:59pm PST. So it looks like it's still good based on that.
They extended it. Good through midnight tonight.
Old 12-01-14, 09:45 AM

I wonder if the $35 threshold for free shipping doesn't have something to do with it. Unless you're a prime member, paying shipping or meeting the $35 quota pretty much negates any bargains you get when you factor in the way Amazon staggers their deals. It would be nice if they had some kind of order hold in effect where you could keep adding items to an order over the week.

Probably why they raised the annual membership fee $20.
Old 12-01-14, 10:01 AM

We are used to having the deals calendar a week in advance. In some cases, we had it a day in advance. Not the worst thing ever. THAT would have been no calendar and no notice.

Becuz WE are media bargain hunters through and through, we want everything to be laid out in front, which gives us a chance to strategize. Only, we represent a small minority of movie shoppers (or hustlers date I say it), so the actual rules won't favor us, without loopholes or oversights that can be exploited or used to our advantage. If I was running a business, I wouldn't cater to us.

So, when Plan A is blown up, rather than complain about Plan A, you develop Plan B. And when that goes awry, Plan C, etc. In this case, some of us either braved the B&M store holiday traffic or we adjusted our plans to capture the LDs that interested us. Hell, I walked outside of a bingo hall outing with my mother-in-law three times ($350 purse for each game, at least, before you laugh) to get three LDs on an iPad through a rigged wifi connection. Others of us spent many parts of their holiday weekends watching deal countdowns on a computer screen, some of which were during very sporadic timeframes.

But, that's the life of any bargain shopper. In the past, we were able to stick and move how we wanted, when we wanted. Now, we have to grind just like the next man running around town, trying to find the deals of choice; only we do it from the comforts of home (or other places) at hours of the day and night that sometimes arent so convenient.

Live with it and deal with it. Otherwise, break out your big coat, sleeping bag and board games as you sleep outside a store in order for the right to be "first."
Old 12-01-14, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very true.
Old 12-01-14, 11:01 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
They extended it. Good through midnight tonight.
Then WHAT IS IT, please..?!
Old 12-01-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DirkBelig
And now we've arrived at the part of the show in which the people who found plenty of good deals are told they're stupid fanboys for not knowing they were actually totally ripped off according to people who didn't get what they wanted. If they're not happy, then no one else could possibly be happy unless they were dumb. Yawn...
Yes. If the deals are better or easier to acquire at Best Buy, or some place like that, feel free to shop there. Since the nearest Best Buy is 190 miles (RT) from where I live, I'd rather not. YMMV.

Amazon doesn't really "owe" us anything. While I preferred the LD calendar structure of previous years, I was able to accumulate an adequate calendar of BF deals this year (albeit with a lot more time and effort). Or so I thought. Can't please everyone and I am disinclined to try.
Old 12-01-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
We are used to having the deals calendar a week in advance. In some cases, we had it a day in advance. Not the worst thing ever. THAT would have been no calendar and no notice.

Becuz WE are media bargain hunters through and through, we want everything to be laid out in front, which gives us a chance to strategize. Only, we represent a small minority of movie shoppers (or hustlers date I say it), so the actual rules won't favor us, without loopholes or oversights that can be exploited or used to our advantage. If I was running a business, I wouldn't cater to us.

So, when Plan A is blown up, rather than complain about Plan A, you develop Plan B. And when that goes awry, Plan C, etc. In this case, some of us either braved the B&M store holiday traffic or we adjusted our plans to capture the LDs that interested us. Hell, I walked outside of a bingo hall outing with my mother-in-law three times ($350 purse for each game, at least, before you laugh) to get three LDs on an iPad through a rigged wifi connection. Others of us spent many parts of their holiday weekends watching deal countdowns on a computer screen, some of which were during very sporadic timeframes.

But, that's the life of any bargain shopper. In the past, we were able to stick and move how we wanted, when we wanted. Now, we have to grind just like the next man running around town, trying to find the deals of choice; only we do it from the comforts of home (or other places) at hours of the day and night that sometimes arent so convenient.

Live with it and deal with it. Otherwise, break out your big coat, sleeping bag and board games as you sleep outside a store in order for the right to be "first."
This pretty much sums up BF for me. Well, without the bingo.

Originally Posted by lizard
Amazon doesn't really "owe" us anything. While I preferred the LD calendar structure of previous years, I was able to accumulate an adequate calendar of BF deals this year (albeit with a lot more time and effort). Or so I thought. Can't please everyone and I am disinclined to try.
We appreciate your efforts, lizard!
Old 12-01-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
Music offerings were awful too.
i got the john mellencamp boxset two years ago when it was a LD for about 37, this year they had it for 57. i remember getting U2 deluxe editions the same year. this year was a pretty paltry music selection.

i cackled for years getting the bourne boxset for 19.99 on a LD. this year it is 14.99 and i feel like someone kicked me in the stomach. if only i had waited three years... (never even had a chance to open the damn bourne set either)

i also wish they matched more of the 3.99 offerings, like breakfast at tiffanys and kept titanic at 3.99

aside from Catching Fire i wasn't really excited about any of the lightning deals in movies this time around.

hopefully others got things they liked more, and thanks to Lizard for posting all these deals, as it looked daunting.
Old 12-01-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Then WHAT IS IT, please..?!
The code is HOLIDAY30

Here's the Terms & Conditions:

Spoiler:

Terms & Conditions
▪ To use this promotion, you must enter "HOLIDAY30" at checkout under the "Gift cards & promotional codes" section to receive 30% off any ONE (1) book purchased in your order (up to $10 promotional credit).

▪ This offer is only valid on print books. Excludes Kindle eBooks and Audible Audiobooks.

▪ The promotion is valid for a limited time only, from November 26, 2014 at 9pm PST to December 1, 2014 at 11:59pm PST. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.

▪ Offer only applies to products sold and shipped by Amazon.com.

▪ Limit one promotional code per customer and account.

▪ The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $10.

▪ Offer good while supplies last.

▪ Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.

▪ The offer discount will be allocated to the highest priced book in your order.

▪ If any of the products or content related to this promotion are returned, the value of the offer will be subtracted from your return credit.

▪ This promotion may not be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates.

▪ Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.

▪ If you violate any of the Terms & Conditions, the promotion will be invalid.

▪ Void where prohibited.

▪ Shipping charges may apply to discounted and free promotional items.

▪ Offer does not apply to Amazon Gift Cards.
Old 12-01-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
We appreciate your efforts, lizard!
I'm not looking forward to my next credit card statement but thanks for the updates lizard!
Old 12-01-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hostage $5.00

The Comancheros $5.96

Gettysburg: Director's Cut $5.99
Gods and Generals: Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray Book) $5.99
Safe $5.99

I Love You, Beth Cooper $6.90

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) (Three-Disc Special Edition) $6.96
Harry Potter Double Feature: The Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2 $6.96

Hellraiser: Revelations $7.36

Pawn (Blu-ray + DVD) $8.20

Gamera: Ultimate Collection V1 (4 Pack) $8.32

Chicago in Chicago $9.16

Searchers / Wild Bunch / How the West Was Won (Triple-Feature) $9.96
Twister / Poseidon / The Perfect Storm (Triple Feature) $9.96

The Bible / The Robe $9.99

Duck Dynasty Season 1 $10.99

Duck Dynasty Season 2 $11.49
Duck Dynasty Season 3 $11.49
Duck Dynasty Season 4 $11.49

Duck Dynasty: Season 5 $12.49
Duck Dynasty: Season 6 $12.49

Camelot (1967) $13.89

Fringe: Season 4 $15.34

Orange Is the New Black: Season 1 $15.99
Mad Men: Season 6 $15.99

Duck Dynasty: Seasons 1-3 Collectors Set $29.49

Last edited by lizard; 12-01-14 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

The Saw boxset is down to $16.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Saw-Complete-M...rds=saw+boxset

Reading some reviews though it sounds like a poor quality presentation in comparison to the individual releases. Still the best price on it so far though.
Old 12-01-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Contradictory, confusing and unsupported by reality.

1. If they didn't want to lose money on media items, they wouldn't have priced-matched, would they?

B. This: http://www.businessinsider.com/black...y-ever-2014-11

Which is it? Is Amazon DOOOOOOOMED because some people with hundreds and hundreds of Blu-rays couldn't find another hundred to buy or could the fact that they have hundreds make deals moot? I know I was scrolling through the miles of titles at Best Buy and could only find 17 I wanted and the definition of "want" was pretty broad. (I had Independence Day on it when I don't care for the movie, have had the Five-Star Collection DVD for a decade and never watched it. How badly did I really want it?)

Amazon got 100% of my money unless you count the five $5 double-packs I got today at Dollar General. Best Buy could've sold me King of Comedy, but didn't have it on my side of town. Oh well. I just don't get the eagerness to burn Amazon to the ground because they didn't do $10 Criterions or read your mind and deliver what you wanted. It's as if you feel they've somehow forgotten how to sell stuff.
It's PhantomStranger's MO. He seems to sincerely believe that Blu-rays drive a business like Amazon and will take any perceived problem with them as an example that the site is doomed and a husk of itself. If you see a post by him in this subforum, 95% of the time it will be some kind of complaint about Amazon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.