Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Dollar Tree BLU Rays!

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
My closest store had some DVDs/BDs on their front table today. Only half a table which makes me wonder how many might have been out and were already bought before I noticed them. There were a grand total of 3 BDs, 2 copies of Duplicity, which I own and a single copy of Life Happens which I picked up because it was a $1.
The store I went to earlier today had about a half table too. The cashier told me they put them out yesterday, and the table was "stacked high" then.

There were only four BDs (Duplicity, Life Happens, Killer Elite, and American Pie Presents: The Book of Love), the rest were DVDs (mostly Penguins of Madagascar).
Old 05-17-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Your post makes me feel a little better in that perhaps I didn't miss much.
Old 05-17-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your post makes me feel a little better in that perhaps I didn't miss much.

Reading my last post again, it wasn't very clear - The cashier said the DVDs and BDs had been out for a day, and they started yesterday with a full table that was "stacked high." The table only had a few rows of DVDs and those four BDs on it today around noon. Sorry.

It sounded like they had sold a lot. How many of those were BDs is anyone's guess.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-17-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had some running to do, so swung by 2 other Dollar Tree locations a little further from me. I didn't see any media at the first one. At the 2nd one, they had the sign on the front window promoting DVDs/BDs as the "Item of the Week". When I went in, there were 2 shelves of 'em. The only BDs were Duplicity, Killer Elite (bought) and Silent Hill Revelation (bought *only* because it was $1).

As I was making my way back home, I called the first Dollar Tree and asked if they had BDs/DVDs as the Item of the Week and when they would be out. The lady replied, "Yes, we just put some out and have several more boxes we're unloading."

So, yes, I made my way back to that store with visions of going through unopened boxes of quality stuff. I found a shelf immediately with a copy of Killer Elite and Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. I found a guy stocking a shelf and asked him about other boxes and he went to the back to retrieve them. The BDs are boxed separately from DVDs.

They had:

American Pie: The Book of Love
Battlestar Galactica : Blood and Chrome
Charlie St. Cloud
It's Complicated
The Killer Elite
L!fe Happens
Love Happens
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Silent Hill: Revelation
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Unleashed

And as much as I wanted to resist, I did purchase a few $1 DVDs at both stores.

Sadly, the guy who was helpful, did mention there were a couple more boxes in the back. I stopped short of directly asking him to pull them out since he didn't offer. I tried several somewhat-subtle methods, such as "Do you know if (a particular random title) is in the back?" and "I don't live close-by, so I probably won't make it back to see what else there is". He didn't budge.
Old 05-19-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On Tuesday I went to the 1 store in my area that put them out Tuesday last time. They hadn't received them yet, but still had dozens of DVD's from last time. I went by again early today, and they had gotten them yesterday, put them up front, and were sold out of all Blu's and may or may not have gotten any dvd's. Everything still there looked to be from last time, except maybe the dvd of Lake City. They did say that they only got 2 cases this time, but had gotten 8-9 last time.

I then drove to a store that got them late last time, 8 cases on the Tuesday after. Nothing up front, but I checked the aisles and found about 30 Blu's.

Children of the Corn Genesis, Delhi Safari, Open Road, Justin and the Knights of Valour, Hit & Run and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. But there were a lot of boxes all over, and recalling what the other store said, I found 1 more unopened box. I then, um "donated" my time by opening said case, inventorying all that was inside (only BD's), and displaying those titles in a manner consistent with the others already on display.

Each case said there were 30 Blu-Rays or DVD's inside. And there were already 30 out. Here is the count for 2 different cases. Note that 5 titles were in the second box but not the first:

21 Hit & Run
10 Justin and the Knights of Valour
9 Open Road
7 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4 Changeling
2 Children of the Corn Genesis
2 Darkman
2 Delhi Safari
2 Dream House
1 Born 2 Race

It looks like this one store got totally different inventory from other peoples' stores. I don't know why they needed 21 Hit & Run, but I'd have loved to have found some different ones, like Killer Elite. I did pick up 7 titles.

I then hit 2 more stores, one of which said they hadn't gotten them yet, and the other saying they'll place them out tomorrow.

Last edited by Strapped4Cash; 05-19-16 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I'll stop by tm to see if I can snag a copy of Darkman.
Old 05-20-16, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just hit the DT in my hood and scored five Blu Rays: Frost/Nixon; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; Admission; Killer Elite; and Seeking a Friend. There were more, but that's all I wanted. I think I was the first person to get to the display.
Old 05-20-16, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reposting from the DVD thread:

Based on what has been reported around the web, the only Blu-rays I couldn't find were American Pie (original), Darkman, and Seeking a Friend For the End of the World (but I did see the DVD, which I probably should've gotten). My two closest stores hadn't stocked as of this morning, so there's hope yet.

Still, I feel blessed by this amazing haul.

Blu-rays

- Admission (with slip, which is YMMV)
- American Pie: The Book of Love
- Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome
- Brokeback Mountain
- Changeling
- Charlie St. Cloud
- Dream House
- Duplicity
- Frost/Nixon
- Hit and Run
- Justin and the Knights of Valor
- Killer Elite
- Life Happens
- Love Happens
- Mr. Hockey
- Open Road
- Silent Hill Revelation
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
- Unleashed
- The Ward

DVDs

- 4 Movie Marathon: Cross My Heart / Fierce Creatures / Opportunity Knocks / Splitting Heirs
- 4 Movie Marathon: The Perfect Man / Head over Heels / Wimbledon / The Story of Us
- Angels in Stardust (with slip) [yesterday]
- Being Flynn
- Bowfinger
- The Eclipse
- I Really Hate My Job
- John Doe: Vigilante [yesterday]
- Red Dog
- Scorpion King 3 (Batista)
- Sound of Music Live (with shrinkwrapped slip, which is YMMV)
- The Squeeze [yesterday]
- The Wedding Date

Book

- The Unseen World of Poppy Malone

BTW, outdated "Item of the Week" signage at every location (still advertising solar flares or whatever the hell it was) and a front table at only one location - the rest were on a bottom shelf in Electronics/Automotive.
Old 05-20-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

My DT also had the original "American Pie" BD/DVD set, which has a LOT of extras.
Old 05-20-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hit up the 2 stores that weren't putting them out until today. First one was still unloading from the truck, but I gave them a few minutes, then asked, and they brought up first 1 box, and then 3 more by the end. First one had almost all the Blu-Rays, 2nd one a couple, and the latter 2 none. Completely different selection from what I found yesterday, but surprisingly few dups among the BD's.

American Pie
American Pie: The Book of Love
Baby Mama
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome
Charlie St. Cloud
Duplicity
Frost/Nixon
Killer Elite
Love Happens
Mercury Rising
The Kids Are Alright

I picked up all but the Jennifer Aniston one.

The last store had 4 boxes, with 7 items already removed, but it was a pretty bad selection. I saw a couple that were the same from the previous store, but the only thing decent (and that I bought) was Unleashed.

Last edited by Strapped4Cash; 05-28-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-20-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This morning I went to the store closest to home and they didn't have any BDs or DVDs out, and when I asked, they said they didn't get any. The next one I went to had just put them out, but they didn't have anything that I really wanted. I did buy a few, but other than American Pie Unrated, I figure I'll probably just watch them once and get rid of them. The third store had also put them out this morning, but they only had about five BDs. I bought Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I was hoping to find Darkman and Changeling, but no dice.

I did find a couple of books I've been looking for at a thrift store, so it wasn't too bad a morning.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-20-16 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1 of the 3 stores that I checked here had the BDs out this morning. Saw all of the titles mentioned on this page.

Scored the one title - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - that I really wanted. So, happy dance.

Also picked up Assassin's Bullet, Dream House, Killer Elite, Hit&Run, BSG: Blood and Chrome and Duplicity.

I already owned two of the best (IMO) movies in the bunch - Frost/Nixon and Changeling -I highly recommend grabbing those two if you have never seen them.
Old 05-20-16, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any blu-rays/DVDs that come with Digital movie codes?
Old 05-20-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least in this area today is the day these hit the floor. I stopped by the two in my area and between them I got:

- American Pie: The Book of Love
- Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome
- Duplicity
- Frost/Nixon
- Killer Elite
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
- Unleashed
- The Kids Are All Right
- Assassin's Bullet
- 4 different Penguins of Madgascar titles on DVD

Sadly I didn't see some of the titles mentioned by others or I would have got them. Was really hoping to find Silent Hill Revelation and Brokeback Mountain. Wonder if there is more stock that was not put out? I'll check back this weekend to see what is left, or if anything new was put out.

And yes, many come with digital copies according to the packaging. . I'll know if they expired or not later when I try to redeem them. Most are also DVD combo packs
Old 05-20-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My closest store had some DVDs/BDs on their front table today. Only half a table which makes me wonder how many might have been out and were already bought before I noticed them. There were a grand total of 3 BDs, 2 copies of Duplicity, which I own and a single copy of Life Happens which I picked up because it was a $1.
Went by this store first thing this morning and there was nothing new. On my way back by there a short time ago, I noticed they just now have the "item of the week" poster up advertising the DVDs/BDs. I go in and they probably have 10 DVDs left. Asking around didn't help. No one knew if there were any more and suggested calling the manager tomorrow.
Old 05-20-16, 09:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Found a few at my closest DT today. Not Tinker Tailor, but coincidentally we just watched it. Good, but I'm not sure I fully understand what happened. Wasn't awake enough probably.
Old 05-20-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I hit 3 Dollar Trees on my way home from work today.

The first one didn't have any Blu's in their display, just DVD's.

At the second one, I picked up:

Life Happens
Frost/Nixon
Hit & Run*
Duplicity
Darkman
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy*
American Pie
Unleashed*
Open Road*
Killer Elite
Changeling
Assassin's Bullet

At my third and final stop, I also found and picked up:

American Pie: Book of Love
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World*
Silent Hill: Revelation*

*Indicates that the title came with a working UV code

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 05-20-16 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Checked my local Dollar Tree today, they didn't have many BDs, only American Pie: Book of Love, Frost/Nixon, Duplicity, Open Road, Killer Elite and maybe a couple others. I didn't pick any up as they didn't have the ones I was looking for (American Pie, Silent Hill: Revelation, Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader)
Old 05-22-16, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Hit a couple of DTs and grabbed the following:

Will prolly hit a few more stores tomorrow to see if they have any of the other titles. Saw lots of Billy Blanks exercise DVDs.
Old 05-22-16, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I happened into a Dollar Tree today, and noticed the bin of movies. I hadn't noticed the new post to the thread as I was out of town till late Friday night. There wasn't much left only a couple blu-rays (American Pie Book of Love, and Assassin's Bullet), but decided to try some other stores that are fairly close.

Two of the others had way more selection, including most everything listed here so far. The last store I went to was the only one to have the Deal of the Week sign in the window. I haven't seen the following titles yet...

Admission
Baby Mama
Brokeback Mountain
Charlie St. Cloud
Cosmopolis
Love Happens
Mr. Hockey
The Ward

The only one's I noticed that weren't mentioned yet (this wave) were Columbus Circle, and Sweetwater.
Old 05-24-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After striking out at about every sighting of blu rays at dollar trees in the past year (most times they only got dvds) I finally hit pay dirt this weekend, amazingly only two of the 5 stores I went to had them, and they seemed to be in better areas. The store I first spotted blus at years ago when I started this thread had none.

Was able to get
Silent Hill Revelation (mainly for the UV)
Killer Elite (for UV and replace my rental copy)
Love Happens
Duplicity
American Pie
American Pie Book of Love
Baby Mama
Life Happens
Dream House
Seeking a Friend... (great movie)
BSG: Blood and Chrome
Unleashed
Admission

so was pleased, most are being used as trade bait with my local flea market vendor after taking and switching some cases out with rental case I got with my last Hastings order
Old 05-27-16, 04:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've never seen a blu-ray at any Dollar Tree around here, ever! I've only ever seen a smattering of DVDs I've never even heard of before and wouldn't touch even if I had. I wish ours would get some of the ones I've seen in this thread...
Old 05-27-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
I've never seen a blu-ray at any Dollar Tree around here, ever! I've only ever seen a smattering of DVDs I've never even heard of before and wouldn't touch even if I had. I wish ours would get some of the ones I've seen in this thread...
If they are like the ones in my area, they originally had at least some of those Blu-Rays titles, but they went very quickly. All of them were gone from the stores in my area in less than two days. Same goes for all the better DVD titles. The manager of the store closest to me warned me, when I asked when they were putting them out, that they would all go within 1 day. So I got there a few hours after they put them out. She was probably right, but I wasn't there the next day to verify.
Old 05-28-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
My guess is that you have a reseller living in your area that has your Dollar Tree on lock-down.

The only time I've ever gotten a good selection of DVDs from Dollar Tree that hadn't severely been picked over was when the stocker literally opened the box in front of my eyes.
Old 05-28-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it worth mentioning that this time some of these stores just didn't get that many Blu-rays to begin with.

The 3rd store I checked, where I was the first one there, had a dozen different titles and after my buying 1 each of all of them (but one), there were probably 8 left total. If the next person (who was probably the cashier asking how many were left and if I was buying the last of any of them?) bought 1 each of the rest, then the store would probably have had something like 2 left total. Anyone seeing that might easily have thought resellers had been there first.

The 4th store I checked had sold 7 BD's or DVD's, and there were probably 5 Blu's left in total out of 4 cases (of 30). I bought 1 and left 4. Same thing, it looks like the store was wiped out, but there just weren't ever more than a dozen Blu-rays there.

It could be resellers, I'm sure that sometimes it is, but probably not every time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.