Originally Posted by trespoochies
For only $24.99!
By Sunday they will most likely be $34.99
Old 09-26-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Target -- Marvel's The Avengers 3D Combo Pack with Bonus Disc for $19.99

Originally Posted by jedi_shadow
The news of the mess up and the adjustment came late. Also, there's an internal message stating there are more copies on the way to the stores.
That may be true, but since the UPC is the same as the regular 3D version, it might not be the exclusive. Time will tell.
Old 09-26-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I've only watched the initial segment and the Iron Man part and so far it's the best extra of the package and it's a shame that everyone isn't getting it. The main extras are mostly fluff and Whedon's commentary wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but the Building the Cinematic Universe disc is cool.
Agreed. I watched all of the bonus material on the standard package and it was pretty meh. The Target bonus disc was easily the best of all of the extra material.
Old 09-26-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I see nothing wrong with doing that. Heck, half the time Target don't even have decent slipcovers on their movies and technically they are selling this one.
Except for the guy that buys the returned copy at Target expecting the documentary. Good luck to that guy trying to explain things to the CSR...
Old 09-26-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Took me 3 Different Targets before finding a 3D copy. And this was between noon and two. Either these Targets are poorly stocked on the 3D versions, or something shady is going on.
I have never, NEVER, noticed my local Target not receiving any certain DVD or Blu-ray right on release day. I absolutely think that my local store at least is holding them in the back and just refusing to sell them at the discount. A number of people I asked about it in store tried to tell me that the 3D version doesn't exist, and that is why the Blu-ray was reduced to $19.99, even though they also have the sign up front explaining what is actually going on.

They told me that they get their movies on FedEx, and they come in every day, so I should check back every day around lunch to see if they got it in yet, to come in or call. I just called, someone else told me they only get a shipment in on Fridays and it's on their main truck, not FedEx, and they wont have this version in their store before the next week of ads turns over.

Something is defiantly going on at some stores if you ask me.

Last edited by Brent L; 09-26-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-26-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I have never, NEVER, noticed my local Target not receiving any certain DVD or Blu-ray right on release day. I absolutely think that my local store at least is holding them in the back and just refusing to sell them at the discount.
What motivation would they have in holding this back a week, though, seeing as how corporate is the one that pushed this price adjustment? I would think week 1 is when most DVD/Blu sales are made, deliberately taking them off the rack so that you don't have to honor the sale would seem counter-intuitive, since people will just buy it elsewhere. More than likely they either ran out and/or some hoarder/reseller got there first (seeing as how people here got multiple copies no problem, I guess there's no limit).

You can try scanning the tag and seeing if they have any stock in the back.
Old 09-26-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I have never, NEVER, noticed my local Target not receiving any certain DVD or Blu-ray right on release day. I absolutely think that my local store at least is holding them in the back and just refusing to sell them at the discount.
Why not just pick up a raincheck for the 3D version then, and grab it when your store finally decides to release their secret stock?
Old 09-26-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
What motivation would they have in holding this back a week, though, seeing as how corporate is the one that pushed this price adjustment? I would think week 1 is when most DVD/Blu sales are made, deliberately taking them off the rack so that you don't have to honor the sale would seem counter-intuitive, since people will just buy it elsewhere. More than likely they either ran out and/or some hoarder/reseller got there first (seeing as how people here got multiple copies no problem, I guess there's no limit).
I have no clue the motivation unless they just don't want to sell them at the discount. They didn't run out either, so it wasn't a hoarder or reseller. They claim they never received the stock, not a one of them. I refuse to believe that. It has never happened before, especially for any major title like this, at my local store and I always go in on release day at least to browse. Heck, even on their site it shows as "In Stock":

You can try scanning the tag and seeing if they have any stock in the back.
Oh I asked them to take the tag to scan it for me and two different employees, one a manager, gave me quite the spiel. They claimed it wasn't possible, I told them I've had it done many times before. They said fine and took it to a computer, did something that looked like they were B.S.ing me and said their entire computer system was down. I asked if they had one of the hand things, and sure enough not a single one of them could find their scanners as they had been mysteriously misplaced.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it sure smells like crap to me.

Originally Posted by clappj
Why not just pick up a raincheck for the 3D version then, and grab it when your store finally decides to release their secret stock?
That was my first thought but the tags for it blatantly say "NO RAINCHECKS FOR THIS ITEM". I asked about that and they said absolutely not, that they couldn't do it for this release.
Old 09-26-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 872 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Except for the guy that buys the returned copy at Target expecting the documentary. Good luck to that guy trying to explain things to the CSR...
There's nothing stating that all copies purchased at Target will have the bonus disc. I'm sure those will all be gone within a week (if they're not gone already) and the next stock Target gets will be without the bonus disc. As long as he peels the Target exclusive bonus disc sticker off before he returns it, the next person who buys it will have nothing to complain about.
Old 09-26-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
It's not a lithograph slp it's a lenticular. I think oly Target has a plain cover on the 3D version.
I stand corrected.
Old 09-26-12, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks op for the heads up. I scored a copy.
Old 09-26-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks to this Forum, on Tuesday I saw the Avengers 3D BR set on sale for $19.99, went to Target at 10:45am and was able to get one of the last 5 copies they had. In 10 min before I left it seemed like all the rest of the copies were snatched up.

Thanks to the Posters on DVDTALK...
Old 09-26-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, it turns out it is the same UPC number. Since Target doesn't have the lenticular cover, I guess I have to swap slipcovers, peel off the sticker indicating the bonus disc, then return the unopened Amazon copy with Target slipcover to Target for $21 credit and keep the Target copy with the bonus disc, with the Amazon lenticular cover, then see if I can get a refund on the Best Buy deposit and yet still keep the steelbook.
That seems kind of slimey, but if it works, I'll get the four disc set, the bonus disc, the lenticular cover and the steelbook for the low, low price of $14.99 (and a little bit of my soul). Epic deal, if it works out.
In post #60 I said "I was surprised to see that Target's exclusive 3D BD has a sticker with the same UPC (786936819670) as the normal (lenticular cover) 3D BD release at Amazon or other retailers." I didn't say anything more because I figured if I mentioned what you did I would've been attacked by the Ethics Police, but since the messenger is sometimes more important than the message others can bring up such things. Also, you said IF it works... there is no IF since the UPCs are the same. On the steelbook, I guess I'm a freak in my total disinterest for them. They look cool, but I've never considered them worth the preorder/return effort at BB to get them, especially since BB tracks returns and can ban you if you do too many.
Old 09-26-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,717 Posts

I guess I missed your post. I haven't done the swap/return thing yet, but I'll probably give it a try.

I agree the steelbook isn't a huge deal (and I didn't grab one for Cinderella though I could have), but in this particular case it would be nice since this packaging involves a lot of disc-stacking and an extra cardboard sleeve, so to be able to keep the 2D BR disc + the Target bonus disc in the steelbook, while keeping the 3D BR and the DVD+ Digital Copy discs in the lenticular case would be ideal.
Old 09-26-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Went by my local Target today and they had plenty of the exclusive 3d sets. In fact, I did not see any of the 3d versions that were not exclusives.

I did notice that the Target exclusive set had an extra set of barcode numbers(00003) on the sticker that was different from the Best Buy 3d set(00004). Not sure if all copies came like that or not.
Old 09-26-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 342 Likes on 206 Posts

Oh I asked them to take the tag to scan it for me and two different employees, one a manager, gave me quite the spiel. They claimed it wasn't possible, I told them I've had it done many times before. They said fine and took it to a computer, did something that looked like they were B.S.ing me and said their entire computer system was down. I asked if they had one of the hand things, and sure enough not a single one of them could find their scanners as they had been mysteriously misplaced.
Yeah, stock on hand would have shown preorders and they probably thought it would look like they were trying to hide it from you which is ironically what their other actions made you think.
Old 09-26-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yesterday my Target didn't have any 3D sets and had a lot of 2 disc sets. They said they had sold out of the 3D sets, but should have more in by the weekend.
Old 09-26-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 732 Likes on 537 Posts

In light of "Brent L's" experiences posted above, I do find it interesting that so many eBay sellers offering just the bonus disc have waaay more than one copy on hand.

Since I'm way up here in Canada but managed to score Amazon's $14.99 3D Pack (shipped free to my U.S. box), figured I'd follow "efordvt's" lead and just grab the cheapest buy-it-now I could find on eBay (before the inevitable gouging) and was surprised to find at least two sellers with "more than 10" in their possession, and depleting quickly.

Buy early folks. In fact, buy a few and sit on them for a while . . .
Old 09-26-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I called a number for Corporate and talked to someone for a long time about. I told them exactly what I suspected, and how the person I talked to today told me that they wouldn't be in until the main Target Truck this weekend and likely wouldn't have them on the shelf until AFTER the sale period, and said they would contact my store to talk to them about it since it is blatantly against their policy to hold product and for me to go in later in the afternoon and see if they put them out.

Well, I went by the store just a short while ago and sure enough they had a few on the shelf (all of them with the Target exclusive disc), after being told just earlier today they didn't have it and that no truck shows up today and only will show up this weekend. What a shocker. So they were either holding them as I suspected, or the manager who told me they get these releases on the main Target truck on the weekend lied to me, or both. They only had a handful as well, in one small location while the other spots were still empty.
Old 09-26-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to Target during lunch today, and they had a GAZZILION of them both in front by the registers, and in back in the normal endcap. ALL with bonus disc. I picked up 2 more, one for a friend who asked me to, and one for a potential Christmas gift. I truly do not think these will be rare. But many people will miss out on the $19.99 price, if their store doesn't re-stock by Saturday.
Old 09-26-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading the last few posts, I checked target's site, and it shows the 3D set as in stock now at my local store. I might have to swing by after work to check.
Old 09-26-12, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
I overheard the employees talking at our Target and basically it was 'no rainchecks.'
Old 09-26-12, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I called a number for Corporate and talked to someone for a long time about. I told them exactly what I suspected, and how the person I talked to today told me that they wouldn't be in until the main Target Truck this weekend and likely wouldn't have them on the shelf until AFTER the sale period, and said they would contact my store to talk to them about it since it is blatantly against their policy to hold product and for me to go in later in the afternoon and see if they put them out.

Well, I went by the store just a short while ago and sure enough they had a few on the shelf (all of them with the Target exclusive disc), after being told just earlier today they didn't have it and that no truck shows up today and only will show up this weekend. What a shocker. So they were either holding them as I suspected, or the manager who told me they get these releases on the main Target truck on the weekend lied to me, or both. They only had a handful as well, in one small location while the other spots were still empty.

Damn! It's very against policy to hold product, unless there has been sufficient time for a guest(you) to buy it. i.e. about 5 minutes. Then it can be held for 24 hours. Generally however, if there is limited stock on something in demand, it cant be held at all. Obviously the store personnel didn't care, and wanted the item for themselves.

My store sold out of the 58 copies of the 3d we received, and sold 42 of the dvd and 127 off the regular 2 disc combo, on tuesday alone.
Old 09-26-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

My local Target didn't have any in stock yesterday but they did today.
Old 09-26-12, 06:09 PM

someone at blu-ray.com confirmed that Target will be restocking the 3D exclusive. The pic that is displayed on the post still shows a 19.99 price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.