Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

All Single Disc Marilyn Monroe Titles $9.96 @ Wal-Mart

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
All Single Disc Marilyn Monroe Titles $9.96 @ Wal-Mart

Just got back from picking up four of the five (the other is coming from Amazon for the same price). The store I hit had these four deep (well, three now) so it looks like they should be pretty easy for people to find at retail.

Very glad I skipped on the set as I'd rather have had the single cases anyway.

If you don't have a W-M near you, since these are likely the online price as well, it's a good bet Amazon could be convinced to match these as well eventually.
Old 07-31-12, 06:15 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: All Single Disc Marilyn Monroe Titles $9.96 @ Wal-Mart

It would not surprise me if Amazon would wait until tomorrow to price match to avoid the release day price guarantee, I have seen it happen to me too many times.
Old 07-31-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that would make sense. I already ordered two of the $20 titles from Amazon, so those will be going back anyway. I'll lose $3 shipping, but it's still a savings of $17.

Even with a bit of hassle, I'm just real happy to have the whole wave for $50 and on release day no less. Didn't expect that with these titles.
Old 07-31-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are all of them worth picking up? I already plan on picking up The Seven Year Itch because I'm a Wilder fan, but if I were to only purchase two more, which two would you guys recommend?
Old 07-31-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's No Business Like Show Business isn't really a Marilyn Monroe film. She's a supporting character with one really hot musical number- but the story is more focused on the trials and tribulations of a show biz family (Ethel Merman and Dan Daily as the mother/father and Donald O'Conner and Mitzi Gaynor as the kids).
I enjoy the movie quite a bit- more than some/most of Monroe's other more popular films to tell the truth, and am a fan of both O'Conner and especially Gaynor. But it's not really representative of a 'Monroe film' so if you aren't a fan of 'backstage musicals' you can probably skip that one. It's a solid classic musical though and well worth checking out at some point.

of the other three, River surprised me the most when I finally saw it. I'm a fan of Bob Mitchum and they both have good chemistry- and there is a ton of very beautiful scenery though in keeping with the material, Monroe isn't as glamorous in this one. As much as I like Seven Year Itch, RONR is the one I'm most anxious to check out tonight. If you don't mind westerns, I would definitely consider this one.

Of the other two, Gentlemen Prefer Blonds has the 'Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend' number and is a good looking 4:3 ratio film. Next to Itch, Monroe is probably at her most Iconic in this one (of the five), but as a film I've never been able to warm up to it much. It's merely OK to me.
How To Marry A Millionaire is better paced, has a great supporting cast, is pretty funny and just a more enjoyable all around film, imo- but as one of the first Cinemascope productions, it has some image issues which will undermine just how good the Bd can look. Gentlemen will likely look a little stronger- if that's a consideration.

that's how I see 'em- I'm sure someone else will have a different take.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-31-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No Pm at Amazon yet.
Old 08-03-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Just got back from picking up four of the five (the other is coming from Amazon for the same price). The store I hit had these four deep (well, three now) so it looks like they should be pretty easy for people to find at retail.

Very glad I skipped on the set as I'd rather have had the single cases anyway.

If you don't have a W-M near you, since these are likely the online price as well, it's a good bet Amazon could be convinced to match these as well eventually.
Looks like the online price is $18.XX for all except Itch.
Old 08-05-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Looks like the online price is $18.XX for all except Itch.
Maybe that's why Amazon hasn't matched it? You can't send them a link showing the lower price.