Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

born and raised? is the playground is where you spent most of your days?
Old 08-03-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Old 08-03-12, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Hey.....let's keep things on topic here. This is a Best Buy U&S only thread.

/sarcasm
Old 08-03-12, 06:57 PM

great one ! lol
Old 08-03-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Stopped by 1 last time (for this week) Traded in several Farscape Discs no problems about season nonsense.

After Coupon
Moon - $5
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind Ultimate Edition - $5 (had to show them the price on the shelf, rang up $15 originally)
The Darkest Hour 3D - $15 (pretty good for a 3D BR)
Predators - $8 (Was going to wait till next week to see if it would hit $10 pre coupon but last version w/ slipcover so I caved).

Last edited by SterlingBen; 08-04-12 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

Nice!
Old 08-03-12, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Stopped by 1 last time (for this week) Traded in several Farscape Discs no problems about season nonsense.

After Coupon
Moon - $5
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind Ultimate Edition - $5 (had to show them the price on the shelf range up $15 originally)
Predators - $8 (Was going to wait till next week to see if it would hit $10 pre coupon but last version w/ slipcover so I caved).
I've been borderline on the Predators sale. Can't remember if I liked the movie or not. Lol
Old 08-04-12, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I never deal with the post-purchase price-matching. It seems like such a hassle to do, and I just chalk things up to life being life. Hell, during the last U&S, I think I had three coupons left over at the end. Did I feel pissed off that I essentially gave BB three of my dvds? Not really. I ended up freeing up some shelf space, and learned a lesson that I should find the blu-rays I want to get before turning over my dvds at customer service.

If you spend all your time looking for a cheaper price on every little thing, then you might as well not ever buy anything. Everything you've purchased (with some exceptions) will always be found cheaper later on down the road. Just buy things at the price point you're comfortable paying for something, and enjoy it. If it's a lower price later, then you shouldn't get bent out of shape if the original price you paid was reasonable enough for you to make the purchase in the first place.
This x1000. If you bought the item, you MUST have been comfortable enough with the price at the time of purchase.
Old 08-04-12, 09:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

After Coupon
Moon - $5
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind Ultimate Edition - $5 (had to show them the price on the shelf, rang up $15 originally)
I need to pickup Moon. And have you seeen the Darkest Hour 3D? I know its bad, but if the 3D is good, I may give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Sith Vol
I've been borderline on the Predators sale. Can't remember if I liked the movie or not. Lol
If you remember it like I do, then you probably didn't. But for $5, ill pick it up to show off the sound.
Old 08-04-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was in Best Buy and noticed they still had BSG 1, 3, & 4 marked on shelf (at the front of the store) for $19.99 that had been missing all last week (I bet they were hiding them, bastards!)... took them to CS along with some U&S coupons. They didn't ring up for $19.99, but they honored it and took the $5 coupons (and immediately removed the shelf tags)

Didn't have Season 2, so I picked that up for $19.xx total w/ tax w/ free Ship-to-Store at Walmart.com ... good deal! $68 or so for the entire series. I sold my complete Limited Edition set a while back for $175 (w/ Cylon figure), so I actually made money on the deal! And better packaging! Woot!

I had a few discs that had water damage to the covers that I had replaced with Blu-ray copies and they happily took those for Upgrade & Save. They were gatefold cardboard sets among them too (Jackie Brown/Pulp Fiction), bleh. I think they had growth.
Old 08-04-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the 30th Anniversary Edition w/booklet? They were on display in the Glendora CA Store for $9.99 also, but manager wouldn't match it. Said its only the newer release in standard BD packaging. She was a horrible, rude person, of course I wrote to corporate, little good it did me.
Old 08-04-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Not gonna make it to BB before the store closes today. Anyone know if the Bourne movies will be on sale next week with the movie cash? Closest store is half an hour away and I need to go near there midweek next week.
Old 08-04-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up yesterday:

Date Night - $4.99
The Patriot - $4.99

Picked up today:

Camelot - $14.99
Old 08-04-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Picked up Deer Hunter today with U&S and $3 Universal coupon. A coupon is supposed to be a price modifier, not a payment method. In other words, a coupon is applied to alter the pre-tax price, yet BB processes it as a payment method like a GC or CC. Oh well....

Didn't see any of the Total Recall BD's. almost done with this round of U&S. Between this and B&N's Criterion sale, the wallet hurt pretty bad.
Old 08-04-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a counter-point to the whole post-purchase pricematching discussion, I probably do it 1/3 of the time. Some of it is pricematching, some is return and rebuy, depending on the store and policies.

I agree that when I originally buy the item, I am fine with the price, and if that's how it ends up, I won't think twice about it, but I am always looking for the cheapest price.

I am in Best Buy and Target once a week anyway ... so its just part of my normal routine to hit the Customer Service counter.

If I compared everything I bought at the original prices vs how much I have gotten back with pricematching and return/rebuy, I have probably gotten at least 1/4 of my money back, if not more (probably 1/2, if I just include the pricematched items) ... and I rarely ever buy things when they are first released. They have to meet a threshold first. Games have to be less than $20 and movies less than $15. (TV shows and sets I'll pay a bit more.)

The money I saved probably just goes to more movies and games, but I have more to show for it.
Old 08-04-12, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by flix1
As a counter-point to the whole post-purchase pricematching discussion, I probably do it 1/3 of the time. Some of it is pricematching, some is return and rebuy, depending on the store and policies.

I agree that when I originally buy the item, I am fine with the price, and if that's how it ends up, I won't think twice about it, but I am always looking for the cheapest price.

I am in Best Buy and Target once a week anyway ... so its just part of my normal routine to hit the Customer Service counter.

If I compared everything I bought at the original prices vs how much I have gotten back with pricematching and return/rebuy, I have probably gotten at least 1/4 of my money back, if not more (probably 1/2, if I just include the pricematched items) ... and I rarely ever buy things when they are first released. They have to meet a threshold first. Games have to be less than $20 and movies less than $15. (TV shows and sets I'll pay a bit more.)

The money I saved probably just goes to more movies and games, but I have more to show for it.
How does it work? Will they just give you a gift card with the difference on it or cash refund?

During this U&S I don't think any of my purchases have gone lower. Maybe by $3 but nothing too major.
Old 08-04-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I think you are incorrect on how to apply the MQ. Since MQ are a form of payment, in most states it is deducted after tax is calculated unlike a store coupon (U&S) which is deducted prior to calculating tax.

This is not BBY decision and should be applied the same at Walmart or Target or the local Grocery when using a MQ. There are a few exceptions, but state law requires tax be applied on the coupon since it is considered a payment (essentially you are paying Universal;s part of the sales tax on their $3 contribution to your movie). In a sense this is why the U&S and MQ should be allowed together where 2 MQ or 2 Store coupons are not allowed together.

I think there are a handful of states where MQ must be removed prior to sales tax calculation ( Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Texas, and I'm pretty sure Missouri).
thanks. am educated now. didn't know MQ was treated as a payment
Old 08-04-12, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I think you are incorrect on how to apply the MQ. Since MQ are a form of payment, in most states it is deducted after tax is calculated unlike a store coupon (U&S) which is deducted prior to calculating tax.

This is not BBY decision and should be applied the same at Walmart or Target or the local Grocery when using a MQ. There are a few exceptions, but state law requires tax be applied on the coupon since it is considered a payment (essentially you are paying Universal;s part of the sales tax on their $3 contribution to your movie). In a sense this is why the U&S and MQ should be allowed together where 2 MQ or 2 Store coupons are not allowed together.

I think there are a handful of states where MQ must be removed prior to sales tax calculation ( Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Texas, and I'm pretty sure Missouri).
Interesting. I'm from Massachusetts and I know Best Buy has taken the manufacturers coupon off after the sales tax calculation.
Old 08-04-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sith Vol
How does it work? Will they just give you a gift card with the difference on it or cash refund?

During this U&S I don't think any of my purchases have gone lower. Maybe by $3 but nothing too major.
A pricematch (on a receipt) always results in a return of funds, either cash or refund to the credit card you used.

For pricematching to U&S, it is a little more complicated. The only time I have ever done that was when the new price was lower than the price that I paid AFTER the U&S coupon. For example, last round I paid $9.99 for a $14.99 BD after U&S coupon, but then it soon went on sale for $5.99 after the U&S promotion was over. I got a pricematch to $5.99, getting a $4 refund (NOT a $9 refund).

I'm not sure a pricematch and still having the coupon applied will work, though some have reported doing so. I would guess this is highly YMMV.
Old 08-04-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but looks like $4 would be the correct refund amount.
Old 08-04-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Yep. You only get refunded what what you paid out of pocket. No matter if you had a 100 coupons being applied to a $2,500 HDTV and knocked it down to only $9.99 on your credit card. If they discounted the HDTV down to $5.99, you'd only get $4 back, and you'd be one sorry dude, because they would not give you the coupons back.

$4 refund is correct.
Old 08-04-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If they discounted the HDTV down to $5.99, you'd only get $4 back, and you'd be one sorry dude, because they would not give you the coupons back.
But you'd still have an extra 4 bucks in your pocket at the end of the day.
Old 08-04-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

So tonight I brought in 5 more DVDs. They were in fact some movies I picked up while on a overseas vacation in Asia at the flea markets. A few of them were region 3 and some didn't have bar codes. I think I spent no more than $2-3 a piece for them at the time. They were just sitting in a box in my garage, so I figured what the hell? Might as well get $25 worth of coupons for them, than let them sit there as trash. Most of the titles were probably 10+ years old.

I got the following:

Kickboxer $5.99 with $7.50 Expendables 2 Movie Cash

Invictus $4.99

Step Up $9.99

Resident Evil: Extinction $4.99

TimeCop/BloodSport $4.99

Grand total= $33.64 after taxes. Very happy with this pickup for bringing in stuff that was otherwise junk.

I also have $25 worth of coupons from a separate trade-in at a different store. I will try to use those this week.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I had $20 worth of coupons leftover from a couple of trade-ins from the last 2 weeks. I used them earlier in the night at a different store to pick up:

Little Big Soldier (Jackie Chan movie) $9.99

Cherry Bomb $6.99

The Rite $7.99

Wes Craven's 4 Film Collection $4.99

Last edited by DJariya; 08-05-12 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-05-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Is it the 30th Anniversary Edition w/booklet? They were on display in the Glendora CA Store for $9.99 also, but manager wouldn't match it. Said its only the newer release in standard BD packaging. She was a horrible, rude person, of course I wrote to corporate, little good it did me.
Thats the one.
Originally Posted by trespoochies
I need to pickup Moon. And have you seeen the Darkest Hour 3D? I know its bad, but if the 3D is good, I may give it a shot.

If you remember it like I do, then you probably didn't. But for $5, ill pick it up to show off the sound.
I have not seen Darkest Hour, I have heard it sucks but that it has some great 3D.
Old 08-05-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought 5 BRs with the $5 off by turning in 6 DVDs, I still have 1 more coupon to use.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Incredible Hulk
Flash Gordon
Hatfields and the McCoys
Chariots of Fire (In honor of the Olympics and I love the movie)
-My collection of Academy Award winning movies are growing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.