Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B&N 50% Criterion blu-ray sale now live through July 30

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: B&N 50% Criterion blu-ray sale now live through July 30

Just got up this morning and saw emails indicating shipment of all three of my Buy 2 Get 1 orders. It says they're coming USPS. I wonder if that means Priority Mail. (What other kind of USPS shipping could be considered expedited--not that their expedited shipping is ever that fast).

Also reserved the David Lean set at my local store. Might try the $8 off $40 with that one. Should bring it to $36.99.
Old 07-11-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Happily reporting that my order of 6 Criterions shipped last night. Outstanding deal.
Old 07-11-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Still waiting for my B2G1 / 50% off orders to ship:

Both have an estimated ship date of 6/10.

Almost a year wait? Wow.
Old 07-11-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Ordered yesterday afternoon and got a shipping notice late last night:

The 39 Steps
Antichrist
Belle de Jour
Broadcast News
Fish Tank
Howard's End
Shallow Grave
Something Wild
The Thin Red Line
Tiny Furniture

Most of my order was titles I wanted to get during Criterion's own 50% off sale a few months back, but were out of stock on...plus a few newer ones I wanted, like The 39 Steps and Shallow Grave.
Old 07-11-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
When the worker saw that I was looking at Criterions, she volunteered that I could also pre-order next month's Quadrophenia for 50% off, which I did.
Wow, you got really lucky on that one. I've tried a number of times to pull that off, and was told that the item had to be listed in the system at 50% off to get it at that price.
Old 07-11-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All five of my b2g1 orders shipped last night. Should hopefully get them before the week end. Only have about 2 or 3 more titles I like to get before the sale ends and before my membership expires July 13. Hopefully I can make it to a store tomorrow to use some of my surprise coupons to pick up the David Lean Directs Noel Coward set, and put in a ship to home order for the Last Days of Disco.

Anyway here is was I got coming in the mail and by UPS. All are blu-ray.

Order 1
Sommaren med Monika (Summer with Monika)
Shallow Grave
The 39 Steps

Order 2
The Gold Rush
Harold and Maude
My Life as a Dog

Order 3
The Rules of the Game
Solaris
À Bout de Souffle (Breathless)

Order 4
Fish Tank
Beauty and the Beast
The Lady Vanishes

Order 5
Certified Copy
The Phantom Carriage
A Night to Remember
Vivre Sa Vie
Metropolis (Kino)
M
Old 07-11-12, 10:50 AM

tight on cash, so i ordered only 1 just 20min. ago & already got a shipping notice:

Product Description: Samurai Trilogy
Quantity: 1

Expected Ship Date: 07-12-2012

Price: 34.99 / $37.18 w/ tax, but STILL cheaper than anyone else
Old 07-11-12, 11:31 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd heard of the occasional deal overlap with the B2G1 offer, but I don't think it's happened during the last few sales I participated in. Really sorry I missed out. What an unfortunate time to have been on vacation and away from my computer.

There has almost always been at least one non-member online coupon active during past sales (usually 20% off one item). I had been averaging $17.99 per title when buying in pairs. Without that little extra incentive, I'll probably just hold out for a better deal. There's no B&N store close enough for me to justify a membership fee.
Old 07-11-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joe_b
I'd heard of the occasional deal overlap with the B2G1 offer, but I don't think it's happened during the last few sales I participated in. Really sorry I missed out. What an unfortunate time to have been on vacation and away from my computer.

There has almost always been at least one non-member online coupon active during past sales (usually 20% off one item). I had been averaging $17.99 per title when buying in pairs. Without that little extra incentive, I'll probably just hold out for a better deal. There's no B&N store close enough for me to justify a membership fee.
Yeah, I was surprised the sale overlap happened since B&N has tightened down on them with the last few sales.

Unfortunately there are not many online codes at the moment, but B&N is running a surprise coupon offer starting tomorrow. If you are receiving coupon emails from B&N you should get a online or store coupon that is valid through July 15. I also expect a few more coupons before the Criterion sale ends.
Old 07-11-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm surprised this sale is still so popular. Doesn't Amazon regularly have most CC Blu's around $20.00?
Old 07-11-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm surprised this sale is still so popular. Doesn't Amazon regularly have most CC Blu's around $20.00?
Yes, but the added potential for savings with a membership and coupons piques interest (as well as a possibility for an overlap with a b2g1 sale, as happened this time).
Old 07-11-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regularly? No, I wouldn't say "regularly". The Criterion Blus I have on my wish list always seem to hover around $30, although I do tend to focus on the newer titles.

The only times I see them around $20 is in response to B&N's semi-annual. As already stated, with the membership discount and the frequent coupons, you can reasonably expect to be under $15 on the $40 MSRP titles.
Old 07-11-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't Amazon regularly have most CC Blu's around $20.00?
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Regularly? No, I wouldn't say "regularly". The Criterion Blus I have on my wish list always seem to hover around $30, although I do tend to focus on the newer titles.
Definitely not regularly, and only one of my three has ever fallen below $20. I checked camelcamelcamel for Amazon's all-time lows on the three titles I bought and discovered that...

Amazon total at their all-time lows: $62.97 ($20.99 per title)

I paid $48.47 ($16.15 per title)
Old 07-11-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All my tracking numbers are now working, and they show my B2G1 orders coming via Priority Mail. That should mean I will have them all by the weekend, which is awesome since I'll be away next week and would have had to get someone to collect them for me.

Planning on getting to the store tomorrow morning for the David Lean box I have on reserve, and will use the 8 off 40 coupon. That should do it for me this go-round, unless some awesome coupon shows up before the end. Not holding out much hope for the surprise ones, since I never get emails from B&N despite being signed up for them.
Old 07-11-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I've been is pretty much every BN Criterion sale and this is the first time I ever caught this overlap.
Same here. I actually had forgotten about checking for it, but I was up late that night--watching a movie, of course--and jumped on the computer afterward and stumbled on the overlap in progress. After picking my jaw up off the table, I made three orders within forty minutes.
Old 07-11-12, 06:53 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Yes, but the added potential for savings with a membership and coupons piques interest (as well as a possibility for an overlap with a b2g1 sale, as happened this time).
don't forget. unless you get at least $25 in savings and order more for subsequent savings, you are not covering the $25 for the B&N membership. every dollar counts
Old 07-11-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

As others have said, using the term regularly is really stretching it. I would say it's not uncommon for some titles to get to in the range of $19.99 plus tax, not quite the 50% off but close. But the coupons offered from B&N along with the cash back options make a huge difference. And the titles that Amazon usually marks down are typically older releases; it's certainly not across the board. Some titles seem to never get a significant price drop.
Old 07-11-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
don't forget. unless you get at least $25 in savings and order more for subsequent savings, you are not covering the $25 for the B&N membership. every dollar counts
I can't speak for others but for me Barnes and Noble has enough sales each year to easily cover the cost of the membership: 2 Criterion sales, B2G1, British TV...and more. And of course the book sales.
Old 07-11-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

How does B&N ship out products? Do they use USPS, UPS or Fed Ex?
Old 07-11-12, 07:50 PM
Banned

Dhl. FML.
Old 07-11-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Dhl. FML.
Thanks! How long until they actually make it where you can click your tracking number and see where it is? All 3 of my orders have shipped and have numbers but none of them are clickable and none of them bring up any information.
Old 07-11-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Dhl. FML.
I get the majority of mine from UPS. Expedited shipping is a benefit of membership and I think they use UPS for most of those.
Old 07-11-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get most of mine through USPS. In fact, the first order I placed after this bad boy went "live" early Tuesday, was on my from porch today. Two more will arrive tomorrow, with the rest due Friday. Only one title, Modern Times, is backordered.
Old 07-11-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, damn! How in the hell are we supposed to know which service to search under? Also, some of my tracking numbers are around 16 digits long while others are over 20. And for some reason they broke up each of my 3 orders into 2 parts. I have no idea why the did this.
Old 07-11-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Normally, I just Copy & Paste the numbers into Google. It'll automatically show the correct shipper.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.