Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Miramax/Echo Bridge $5.99 Blu-rays

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 06-27-12, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several titles that are scheduled for release on 7/17 (on Amazon) are already available for much cheaper at Best Buy. These include Dirty Pretty Things, O, Darkness, etc. All are $5.99 this week in store.
Old 06-27-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Best Buy Miramax/Echo Bridge $5.99 Blu-rays

I aw two in the 5.99 bin. Faculty and Imposter.
Old 06-27-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Already discussed in the Best Buy blu-ray bargains thread.
Old 06-27-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Supporting Echo Bridge is like subscribing to dismal quality knowingly. Why would anyone want to own any of these titles on substandard bluray if you already have the DVD counterpart ? this will be no better than an upconverted DVD. There should be no 'acceptable' BD's. The technology exists to create an audio visual experience bar none. And Echo Bridge is not the ticket to such a requirement. This is a perfect 'bridge' by studios to outsource titles that do not warrant significant restoration, to cheaply produce it onto a bluray format using substandard algorithms, just to ensure Bluray sales. Stick with the DVD's if you already own them. I have seen a few of these and they are an insult to BD technology.
Old 06-27-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Supporting Echo Bridge is like subscribing to dismal quality knowingly. Why would anyone want to own any of these titles on substandard bluray if you already have the DVD counterpart ? this will be no better than an upconverted DVD. There should be no 'acceptable' BD's. The technology exists to create an audio visual experience bar none. And Echo Bridge is not the ticket to such a requirement. This is a perfect 'bridge' by studios to outsource titles that do not warrant significant restoration, to cheaply produce it onto a bluray format using substandard algorithms, just to ensure Bluray sales. Stick with the DVD's if you already own them. I have seen a few of these and they are an insult to BD technology.
I've read nothing but good things about The Faculty and Dirty Pretty Things, from both reviews and those who already have them. I wouldn't call them spectacular by an means, but definitely not as you described them to be. I wasn't able to find DPT, but I'll pick it up when I can and I'll know it's hardly dvd quality.
Old 06-27-12, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 331 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I've read nothing but good things about The Faculty and Dirty Pretty Things, from both reviews and those who already have them. I wouldn't call them spectacular by an means, but definitely not as you described them to be. I wasn't able to find DPT, but I'll pick it up when I can and I'll know it's hardly dvd quality.
Same goes with Equilibrium. While they've botched the first couple of releases, the newest release (albeit, as part of a disc with 2 other movies) is actually pretty good. And for the price, there's not much to complain about.
Old 06-27-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Same goes with Equilibrium. While they've botched the first couple of releases, the newest release (albeit, as part of a disc with 2 other movies) is actually pretty good. And for the price, there's not much to complain about.
Is this disc with 2 other movies only $5.99 too? That'd be awesome.
Old 06-27-12, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 331 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Is this disc with 2 other movies only $5.99 too? That'd be awesome.
It's part of a 6 movie/2 disc set. I got it for $12.99, but it's $15 online and in store at Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19897385
Old 06-27-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy cow! How good can the PQ/AQ be when they've got THREE movies crammed onto a disc?!
Old 06-27-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Theez Blue-grays R fer speshal pee poleses.
Old 06-27-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Holy cow! How good can the PQ/AQ be when they've got THREE movies crammed onto a disc?!
Well, considering the 2-disc release of Equilibrium/Renaissance was crammed onto a 25GB disc and the 6movie/2disc pack are 50GB discs ... it is approximately 4GB better.
Old 06-27-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Own the Movie in HD or never owning the movie in HD...

That's your options. Blame the respective studios who refuse to release them properly.
Old 06-27-12, 11:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Own the Movie in HD or never owning the movie in HD...

That's your options. Blame the respective studios who refuse to release them properly.
Own the movie in HD DONE RIGHT. Echo Bridge and Mill Creek show you how not to do it right
Old 06-28-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Own the movie in HD DONE RIGHT. Echo Bridge and Mill Creek show you how not to do it right
Won't happen. Blu-ray is it. It's either this or nothing.
Old 06-28-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 613 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
How large are HD movies on HBO/Showtime when they're shown on DirecTV or Dish Network?

I'm often surprised by how little space some HD movies take up on my DVR. I'll occasionally have a 2 hour HD movie that only takes up 2% of my DVR storage, whereas two hours of HD from other channels, mostly the major networks, may take up 4-5%.
Old 06-28-12, 08:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with Gizmo, this is it in the US anytime soon, so your other options are go for a foreign release if available or wait and hope that they might be re-released in the US at some point in better quality.

The fact is, Echo Bridge gets too much generalized crap. I know that they released some real clunkers, but let each release stand on its own. The Faculty has been getting solid reviews, and c'mon, it's only 5.99! I'm sure there's some people that already bought the Canadian release from Alliance for more, and the EB release is being considered better than the Alliance release.
Old 06-28-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't Be A Menace To South Central... is a nice EB release with extras. Same goes for Renaissance and The Faculty has been getting good reviews.

Mill Creek's Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend and the Ernest two pack are great MC titles and the prices are great. White Squall and Duets have also gotten good reviews.
Old 06-28-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm watching The Faculty right now, it won't be anything to show off your new TV but it is a pretty good transfer and well worth $6
Old 06-29-12, 12:39 AM

Anyone in Sacramento find The Faculty? So far, I have struck out. Thanks.
Old 06-29-12, 08:28 PM

I picked up Impostor on a blind buy. I actually enjoyed it, but I found the double twist ending to be a little much. Does anybody know if Renaissance or Ninja are worth picking up? I was considering both of those.
Old 06-30-12, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Echo Bridge "Hellraiser" 4-film DVD some months ago. Though the 4 movies are listed as "1080P", the PQ is about that of a standard DVD. Not surprising, as they crammed 4 movies onto one BD.
...So now I see that one of the films from the 4-movie disc is a separate BD release in BB for $5.99 ("Hellseeker"). Can anyone confirm if the PQ on this standalone is in any way an improvement from the version on the 4-movie disc?
Old 07-01-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was going to pick up Impostor until I noticed it's the shorter PG-13 cut and not the longer R-rated Director's Cut.