Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Criterion 50% off Valentine's Day

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 08:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Criterion 50% off Valentine's Day

For those who got an order in - was the 50% taken off their SRP price or the Criterion Store price?
Old 02-14-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Msrp.
Old 02-14-12, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Interesting because my 50% was taken from the sale price. I had the items in my cart already before the sale started, so I don't know if that made a difference. But I got Godzilla, 12 Angry Men, Traffic, and Rushmore for a total of $63.92. Each one showed up on the checkout as $31.96 before the 50% off. Now I wish I had Belle Du Jour on there, but I forgot to add that one on.

12 Angry Men
Criterion Blu-Ray (CC2091BD) - Quantity: 1$31.96
Rushmore
Criterion Blu-Ray (CC2093BD ) - Quantity: 1$31.96
Godzilla
Criterion Blu-Ray (CC2098BD) - Quantity: 1$31.96
Traffic
Criterion Blu-Ray (CC2102BD) - Quantity: 1$31.96
Total Merchandise:$127.84
Subtotal: $127.84
Standard shipping: $0.00
Promotion Code:- $63.92
Order Total:$63.92
Old 02-14-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh wow. Didn't work for me.
Old 02-14-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on setting up the My Criterion profile this past week, and I coincidentally just set up a wishlist early this morning (before news of the sale hit). I didn't get the $10 GC, which is disappointing, but I may still place an order.
Old 02-14-12, 10:23 PM

50% taken off from MSRP so most of Blu-ray was about $20 each. I didn't order any. I'm just gonna wait for BN and Amazon sale.
Old 02-14-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Couldn't get an order in to save my life. Emailed Criterion and they didn't really care too much either. Said to try later. Sure, after titles I want are out of stock. Guess I'll just skip it and keep my money.
Old 02-14-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

What's the point if they aren't prepared to handle the site traffic or stock? They shouldn't overextend themselves, it did nothing but hurt their brand name to me today.
Old 02-14-12, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Well the sale isn't over yet, they've sent updates on the state of their site, and have already said they're going to send out another code on the out of stock items. Not sure how they've hurt their brand name.
Old 02-14-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
and have already said they're going to send out another code on the out of stock items.
Where's the announcement for that?
Old 02-14-12, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Email that they sent out. Check post #48.
Old 02-14-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Email that they sent out. Check post #48.
Well, despite having an account I didn't receive it. The hard truth of it is when you're a specialty company you can't afford to mess up. Amazon has a bad day and most everyone will be back the next day. That's just the reality, do you understand sir?
Old 02-14-12, 11:13 PM
Banned by request

Criterion isn't going to suffer because their site got clogged. You can either choose to buy from them or from Amazon. That's the reality. I doubt they rely solely on sales from their site to keep their business running. And like i said previously, they are communicating what's going on, even though you didn't get an email.
Old 02-14-12, 11:28 PM

Site is working well now (2130 hours, PST). I ordered 4 favorites I already have on DVD (Night of the Hunter, For All Mankind, Walkabout, Days of Heaven), and would have ordered The Three Colors Trilogy if it was in stock. 50% off MSRP, still a good price.

Last edited by Lije Baley; 02-14-12 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Criterion isn't going to suffer because their site got clogged. You can either choose to buy from them or from Amazon. That's the reality. I doubt they rely solely on sales from their site to keep their business running. And like i said previously, they are communicating what's going on, even though you didn't get an email.
Unless you work for them I don't know why you're going to the trouble...

I wasted some time registering and thinking I could get the same level of service I would from established retailers, so that's on me. I don't need to buy them for $20, it won't bother me to either wait or purchase them for more. I just don't like being inconvenienced.
Old 02-14-12, 11:41 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Criterion treats their fans (who are usually crying little babies about everything, see their Facebook) like gold, by far the kindest company I know of. If this makes you not want to support an independent company which is keeping you up to date and apologizing about it and letting you know they'll make it right, by all means feel free to. I quit going to the Criterion Facebook because for the most part Criterion fans are annoying people who are more concerned with collecting then they are with film, I can only imagine the bullshit Criterion puts up on a daily basis.
Old 02-14-12, 11:45 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Artman
Unless you work for them I don't know why you're going to the trouble...

I wasted some time registering and thinking I could get the same level of service I would from established retailers, so that's on me. I don't need to buy them for $20, it won't bother me to either wait or purchase them for more. I just don't like being inconvenienced.
I was going to ask the same thing...

Maybe that's the difference between you me about all this. Of course i don't work for them, but where you see it as wasting time registering, i like their brand and service and I've enjoyed ordering from them and their site. This has happened before, and ive emailed them and they've responded every time, including today. Same as Amazon on the customer service level. You're right, this isn't worth continuing to discuss. Just think it's nice of them to even offer it.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-14-12 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i like their brand and service and I've enjoyed ordering from them and their site. This has happened before, and ive emailed them and they've responded every time, including today. Same as Amazon on the customer service level. You're right, this isn't worth continuing to discuss. Just think it's nice of them to even offer it.
You're right, I don't have any history or loyalty built up. I tried registering and it didn't work out. Perhaps they shouldn't try and distribute themselves would be my only suggestion. Enjoy your films.
Old 02-15-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bse
Criterion treats their fans (who are usually crying little babies about everything, see their Facebook) like gold, by far the kindest company I know of. If this makes you not want to support an independent company which is keeping you up to date and apologizing about it and letting you know they'll make it right, by all means feel free to. I quit going to the Criterion Facebook because for the most part Criterion fans are annoying people who are more concerned with collecting then they are with film, I can only imagine the bullshit Criterion puts up on a daily basis.
If any other company offered and promoted a 50% off sale and then had a website perform like this you and everyone else would be bitching about it for days. Criterion shouldn't get a pass just because they are a fine company. They should be held to the same standards as everyone else. The knew they were going to have a sale and they knew the response would be good so they should have been prepared. It's really not that hard and they failed miserably. And they deserve to be chastised for it. What separates them from everyone else is the way they handled it... Acknowledge your mistake, apologize and make up for it. That's what great companies do.

Last edited by jwstl; 02-15-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 12:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwstl
Acknowledge your mistake, apologize and make up for it. That's what great companies do.
they already did...

Dear Criterion newsletter subscribers,

It’s been a frustrating day for many of our fans—and for us. While a lot of customers have been able to successfully place orders, many have not. We apologize for any difficulties this has caused. We’ve done some work on the site, and it is functioning more efficiently, but certainly not as well as we’d like. Unfortunately, we anticipate that it will remain slow for the duration of the sale.

Many of you were on Criterion.com at the same time trying to get your orders in on certain titles before we ran out of them, which caused a major site slowdown. To alleviate this pressure, after the sale ends we will announce a separate code to honor sale pricing on any titles that go out of stock.

And keep in mind that although the site is not operating at full speed, you should be able to place your order tonight with a bit of patience. Just enter the promotional code SWAK on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to get 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP) on all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs before noon EST on February 15th.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We appreciate it!
The Criterion Collection
Old 02-15-12, 07:45 AM

Every year the Future Shop and Best Buy websites here in Canada crash on Boxing Day, and it ends up taking hours to place orders, on December 24th no less. Do people keep going back every year? Yes. Do they prepare themselves for the high volume of traffic expected? Nope. Do they apologize and make up for it? Not either.
Old 02-15-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Based on the email they sent to subscribers, I think Criterion has learned their lesson. If they do a similar promotion in the future, I suspect they'll be more prepared.

The sale was a fail for me. Couldn't get the site to work yesterday and the BDs I wanted are now out-of-stock. Not too disappointed though, because I didn't really need to order anything...I have a long backlog of unwatched discs already.
Old 02-15-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

After hitting a stumbling block in trying to submit my order I backed out to the main site, tried again, and finally had success in submitting my order. I thought it was odd that you had to keep entering the code to see the sale adjustments as opposed to it automatically reflecting new additions to your cart.
Old 02-15-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by junglalien
they already did...
I know that. That's why I wrote: "What separates them from everyone else is the way they handled it".
Old 02-15-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meh can't find any titles I want that are eligible because they are out of stock!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.