Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

International Blu-ray deals

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
re: International Blu-ray deals

Stanley Kubrick - The Masterpiece Collection (Region Free) - $42.78 shipped to the USA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LUNV2RQ

10 disc BD Set with a 78 page book
Old 06-21-16, 06:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Stanley Kubrick - The Masterpiece Collection (Region Free) - $42.78 shipped to the USA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LUNV2RQ

10 disc BD Set with a 78 page book
Roughly half the lowest ever US price. I'm in, thanks.
Old 06-22-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

It appears they are no longer willing to ship the Kubrick box to the USA.
Old 06-22-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
It appears they are no longer willing to ship the Kubrick box to the USA.
While it doesn't mention international delivery, it allowed me to go through checkout with a U.S. address.
Old 06-22-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Man I wish the vigilink software from this forum would quit butchering Amazon UK hyperlinks back to Amazon.com
Use a different browser? I use Firefox (with AdBlock Plus and NoScript) and never have problems with the Amazon UK links. It could be the plugins "fixing" the links but I'm not willing to disable them to find out.
Old 06-22-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Use a different browser? I use Firefox (with AdBlock Plus and NoScript) and never have problems with the Amazon UK links. It could be the plugins "fixing" the links but I'm not willing to disable them to find out.
I use Chrome with an adblocker and have no issues with amazon.co.uk links as well.
Old 06-22-16, 04:02 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

That usually indicates that your being routed through a 3rd party/marketplace instead of Amazon.
Switch the seller back to Amazon UK on the right side of the page (backorder 10 days) and you should be fine for shipping

Man I wish the vigilink software from this forum would quit butchering Amazon UK hyperlinks back to Amazon.com
on Chrome browser, I find that holding the Ctrl key down, while clicking the link, works in routing me to Amazon.co.uk
Old 06-22-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I use Ghostery to avoid Viglink.

Viglink is pure evil.
Old 06-23-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I use FF so may have to install the plug-ins b.c none of the UK links seem to go to Amazon UK after the first hour or so.

EDIT: seems to work. Hopefully that will help a couple other websites as well.

I pretty much keep flash, java disabled anyway so yet another level of interception/interference hopefully cut out
Using NoScript is a real eye-opener to the amount of 3rd party JAVA crap some sites deal up. I've hit a few where allowing *1* site then brings in a list of several more (at times up to 20!) pulling in trackers/helpers/images and more. It's amazing how much faster some sites work with all that 3rd party crapware disabled.

Ghostery is also a good one to use.

If you want to get a somewhat disturbing view of just how sites are interlinked install Lightbeam and let it gather data a few days (you may want to use it with it's "Disable tracking" ability disabled). Right now, my visual report has a *huge* "G" in the middle... and that's with most of Google's tracking junk disabled leaving only what's necessary for some sites to work properly.
Old 06-24-16, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Great Britain voting to leave the EU, the GBP is taking a beating. So it's worth keeping an eye on the exchange rate and possibly cancelling and reordering the Kubrick set since it's currently at 10-13 days to ship, as well as looking for other deals.

The pound lost ~15 cents in 5 hours.

Last edited by mitch079; 06-24-16 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-24-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Definitely.

However, Amazon might increase their product prices to offset, so everyone will have to choose wisely and at the right time.

Currently, the Kubrick set dropped about $3 USD.
Old 06-24-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Using NoScript is a real eye-opener to the amount of 3rd party JAVA crap some sites deal up. I've hit a few where allowing *1* site then brings in a list of several more (at times up to 20!) pulling in trackers/helpers/images and more. It's amazing how much faster some sites work with all that 3rd party crapware disabled.

Ghostery is also a good one to use.

If you want to get a somewhat disturbing view of just how sites are interlinked install Lightbeam and let it gather data a few days (you may want to use it with it's "Disable tracking" ability disabled). Right now, my visual report has a *huge* "G" in the middle... and that's with most of Google's tracking junk disabled leaving only what's necessary for some sites to work properly.
No Script is essential IMO. I know it also works with Pale Moon, & likely with Sea Monkey. It will also often protect the user from drive by Malware.
Old 06-26-16, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally bit on the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection today (though I do own 2 of the 14 titles already):

Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray]

It's been down to 25 pounds since 6/15 per CamelX3 UK:

http://Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] on CamelX3UKY

It's out of stock from Amazon and the pound may well recover a bit before it ships, but it still should be a decent deal.

Reminder for links - Hold the Ctrl key and click on the link if you actually want to, you know, see the actual page that you are clicking on!
Old 06-27-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally bit on a Brexit order after staring at it all weekend. I was up to as many as 7 items but settled on 4 for $31.88 pounds for about $42 US spacebucks.

1 X-Men: Days of Future Past - Rogue Cut [Blu-ray] [2014] B00X5ZT04E £7.49
1 ParaNorman 3D / Coraline 3D [Blu-ray] B00AMYOIZ2 £7.50
1 Ladyhawke [Blu-ray] [1985] | B00FYPI05I £5.78
1 The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [Blu-ray] [Region Free] B003ZDNLCS £5.83
Shipping Charges £6.05
Promotions -£0.77 (X-Men, ParaNorman/Coraline 3d and Ladyhawke were 3 for £20.00)
TOTAL: £31.88

(and it already shipped as well)
Old 06-27-16, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..there are some great deals now at amazon.uk with the british pound getting pounded..
Old 06-27-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Definitely.

However, Amazon might increase their product prices to offset, so everyone will have to choose wisely and at the right time.

Currently, the Kubrick set dropped about $3 USD.
Doubt they would do this due to falling Pound prices. U.S purchases at Amazon UK are a very small % of their overall sales that an increase in their prices would decrease theor own domestic sales. Now increased demand on certain titles likw Doctor Who may affect some of their prices but the effect overall will likely be very small/
Old 06-27-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
I finally bit on the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection today (though I do own 2 of the 14 titles already):

http://Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] on CamelX3UKY

It's out of stock from Amazon and the pound may well recover a bit before it ships, but it still should be a decent deal.

Reminder for links - Hold the Ctrl key and click on the link if you actually want to, you know, see the actual page that you are clicking on!
I placed an order so I'll wait and see. Thanks!
Old 06-27-16, 12:44 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23

Thanks I didn't know about the "Ctrl"Key sending you to the actual Amazon site in the UK instead of the USA one. I think the pound will probably get lower in the short term. Especially if this story proves true.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/us...ge-rate-222311
Old 06-27-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Doubt they would do this due to falling Pound prices. U.S purchases at Amazon UK are a very small % of their overall sales that an increase in their prices would decrease theor own domestic sales. Now increased demand on certain titles likw Doctor Who may affect some of their prices but the effect overall will likely be very small/
I've heard 40-50% of amazon.co.uk's business is from North America.
Old 06-27-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Per the net, the day of "Brexit", the offcial exchange had dropped to 37% between the Pound & the USD. Amazon UK offered considerably worse, so I took a chance with my bank, who was around 46% (worse then Amazon.UK).

I wouldn't have placed the order I did if I had known that.
Old 06-27-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

One deal that seems decent thanks to the drop in the pound is the Hobbit Trilogy 3D Extended Edition boxed set. Not the easiest item to find for a reasonable price in North America for whatever reason, but it can be had for about $53US/$71CDN shipped from Amazon UK, after VAT, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZX1Y7O6/

(Cheapest U.S. price is about $68.80 plus shipping from Marketplace sellers.)
Old 06-27-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found out the problem isn't my bank, but it's VISA (another too big to fail bank). Today's official rate is 32%, Visa is charging almost 38%
Old 06-27-16, 04:36 PM
pgm

[QUOTE=Brian T;12836687]One deal that seems decent thanks to the drop in the pound is the Hobbit Trilogy 3D Extended Edition boxed set. Not the easiest item to find for a reasonable price in North America for whatever reason, but it can be had for about $53US/$71CDN shipped from Amazon UK, after VAT, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZX1Y7O6/

(Cheapest U.S. price is about $68.80 plus shipping from Marketplace sellers.)[/QUOTE

Are the Special Features on the Extended Bluray 3-D Versions region-free as well? Thanks.
Old 06-27-16, 05:29 PM
pgm

Many thanks!
Old 06-28-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It appears that Visa Exchange rate has a delay in catching up to these massive swings. Normally I've always found the rates mirrored almost exactly xe.com bank rate, but after hearing a couple stories like this from you and at Bluray I checked VisaExchange site and found earlier todya the VISA exchange registers at 1.437 (even with 0% Forex fee) when xe.com was under 1.32. Since the rates never change more than a penny or so day it never crossed my mind that Visa/XE used different numbers. I'm not sure if the weekend had an effect as well, but it will be interesting to see how long the catchup takes. That number hasn't changed in several hrs so I'm guessing it's not real time

From an old VISA FAQ on how they calculate their rate -- mastercard, etc may have slightly different methods but it appears to be slightly separated from the market which isn
t really noticeable except crazy times
"Every day—except weekends, Memorial Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day—Visa calculates the rate for the next day’s transactions. The Visa rate is selected from a range of rates available in wholesale currency markets or the government-mandated rate in effect one day prior to the applicable central processing date. Visa makes this rate available to issuing banks, which may adjust the rate when billing cardholders by applying a foreign transaction fee. The rate Visa makes available to issuing banks may vary from the rate Visa itself receives. Most consumers find that using Visa is a convenient and cost-effective way to make purchases and obtain cash when traveling internationally."
We must have viewed different parts of there site. I did find a lower rate posted than you did; though Visa claims part of the rate is based on what the bank wants to make; while my bank said the opposite; it's all on Visa.

Either way Visa gets rich & we get screwed. The reason I chose my bank for the Britex day order was Amazon's built in optional currency convertor was way over the 37% also.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.