Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Canadian Blu-ray Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Canadian Blu-ray Bargains

For those who might be in the area, Toronto's legendary Queen Video is closing their last location, on Bloor in the Annex.

I popped in yesterday and the shelves were still well-stocked but the selection was nowhere near as deep as what they had at the flagship Queen Street location when they closed it two years ago. THAT place was a goldmine, and I'm glad I was able to spend several visits there stocking up (and Suspect Video, too). Most of the library at this location is of a more recent vintage, though they do have some obscurities tucked here and there. DVDs outnumbered Blu by a fair margin; not sure if that's because the Blus had already been picked over or because this shop generally had more DVDs all along. Pricing to start was too steep -- $8.00 for family films, comedies and docs, $10 for horror + sci-fi, and $13.50 (!) for recent releases, classics, foreign, etc. -- but the registers were constantly ringing. No purchases for me, though; I might go back in a few weeks to rummage what's left once the prices get a lot more realistic, but I really didn't see much that I wanted anyway. Still, might be worth a peek if you happen to be in the neighborhood, just for old times' sake, or because there's lots of good eatin' nearby :

<iframe src="https://globalnews.ca/video/embed/5087082/" width="670" height="372" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>

Last edited by Brian T; 03-25-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Canadian Blu-ray Bargains

Here's a 'your mileage' deal for Canadians only:

Some Walmarts here seem to have the 4K/Blu-Ray combo of John Carpenter's CHRISTINE mis-labeled at $5.00, both on the rack tag and via a price sticker on the slipcover. Noticed this at two locations last night and ended up buying one even though I have no interest in 4K! When you check out, the disc will (probably) ring up at $15.00, but pointing to the sticker will make the cashier override for the lower price. Again, not sure if this is at all stores, but could be worth a look for those interested in this title.