Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Originally Posted by sirbrady
I've never had this problem before. Can we just call our CC company without attempting to contact him first? At bluray.com someone said he cancelled orders but won't refund anyone.
They usually want you to try and work things out yourself with the company but if you send an email and don't get a response, you can honestly say you've tried.
Old 01-27-12, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Thanks.. I'll send an email next week, but I don't expect an answer.
Old 01-27-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
here you go, its saved here. pretty shitty on their part to play it off, nothing is ever simply deleted on the internet.
Yeah, shame on Blue Underground. You'd think they would have more control over what gets posted on their Facebook and Twitter pages -- especially when those posts convinced a lot of new customers to roll the dice with this guy. Unless their accounts got hacked by someone, apologizing and claiming ignorance is just going to annoy people further.
Old 01-27-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Got a shipping notice for Stendhal Syndrome today. Still waiting for the accursed Salon Kitty as we as House by the Cemetery, New York Ripper, and City of the Living Dead. Things are starting to shape up over here. Honestly, for these prices I'm satisfied with the wait.
Old 01-28-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally received a shipping notice today for the three non-preorders (Crazies, Two Evil Eyes and Daughters of Darkness) in my 12/19 order, and was told in response to my 1/19 email that 'Night train will be shipped once we get it in.' When I punch the tracking number into Google I am told that the USPS 'has no record of this item', but I'll check back on Monday.
Old 01-29-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I finally received a shipping notice today for the three non-preorders (Crazies, Two Evil Eyes and Daughters of Darkness) in my 12/19 order, and was told in response to my 1/19 email that 'Night train will be shipped once we get it in.' When I punch the tracking number into Google I am told that the USPS 'has no record of this item', but I'll check back on Monday.
Just a head's up, they seem to be having a problem with their tracking system. I just checked 2 tracking numbers of packages I sent to a fellow member here which have both been previously updated and now both show up as "no record of this item".

That said, I still don't trust HME.
Old 01-29-12, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Buy.com sent tracking information with the latest package they sent to me. It was USPS as well. It took a couple days to even show up. I wouldn't be too worried about that ... yet.

He said on Facebook that all inquiries from on or before Jan. 19 had been answered. I checked my email records, and I replied to his "all orders out" email as a followup on Jan. 19. But that wasn't to the ordersinquiry email. I forwarded something to that one on Jan. 20, so I guess that doesn't cover me yet. It's encouraging that NoirFan has at least received a shipping notice.
Old 01-29-12, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've often had the experience of no updating in USPS tracking until events are way past. USPS tracking often sucks for live action tracking.
Old 01-29-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
It's encouraging that NoirFan has at least received a shipping notice.
And I was just about to file a Paypal claim. We'll see what happens with Strip Nude and Thou Shall Not Kill in March.
Old 01-29-12, 09:17 AM

Hopefully things will get moving now. I already asked for a refund so lets see what happens.
Old 01-29-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was USPS as well. It took a couple days to even show up. I wouldn't be too worried about that ... yet.
I just checked again and my status is now 'Electronic Shipping Info Received'. I still can't believe these are actually on the way. Even with the $10 prices, I don't think I'll deal with this madness again. Of course, I still have two more pre-orders placed.
Old 01-30-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I received a reply from my order inquiry. He apologized for the delays and says as soon as Night Train Murders is in (my only pre-order) that all will be sent out to me. He said that should be Tuesday, so I guess we'll see what happens. Just for everyone's reference, I placed my order for 12 titles on Dec. 20.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I just checked again and my status is now 'Electronic Shipping Info Received'. I still can't believe these are actually on the way. Even with the $10 prices, I don't think I'll deal with this madness again. Of course, I still have two more pre-orders placed.
I know. It has been more stressful than I anticipated, but at this point, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-30-12, 07:09 AM

all will be sent out to me. He said that should be Tuesday, so I guess we'll see what happens. Just for everyone's reference, I placed my order for 12 titles on Dec. 20.
All is in reference to your entire order, but I'm sure it's no coincidence about the time-frame he's giving. 46 days and it's kaput on PayPal claims. By Tuesday, depending on what constitutes 45 days for claims, claims have to be filed by Tuesday, January 31, for 12/19 orders if they have received nothing.

Credit Card orders have to play it by their terms and conditions, which vary.
Old 01-30-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vivafriend5
All is in reference to your entire order, but I'm sure it's no coincidence about the time-frame he's giving. 46 days and it's kaput on PayPal claims. By Tuesday, depending on what constitutes 45 days for claims, claims have to be filed by Tuesday, January 31, for 12/19 orders if they have received nothing.

Credit Card orders have to play it by their terms and conditions, which vary.
That could be true, although I paid with a credit card so I wouldn't be held to the 45-day Paypal window.
Old 01-30-12, 09:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Has ANYONE who had an order cancelled by HME received a refund (either by credit card or Paypal)? I recieved cancellation notices on 1/24/2012, but have yet to see any refund via PayPal (six days and counting...) --Peter
Old 01-30-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ Did you file a claim against him, or did you just request a cancellation directly? It's appears he's sitting back and letting PayPal handle the disputes. I only pray there is still money in his account to cover my refunds. I've never encountered such a terrible situation with a seller in my life.

EDIT: A poster on the bluray.com board reportedly got the guy to respond directly to the refund issue:
i've been doing business with paypal for almost 15 years and have had my account frozen by them numerous times...finally this year i decided to open a bank account specifically for paypal in case they tried to freeze my bank account which has never happened to me but i've heard many rumors of it happening to other businesses. so i keep the bare minimum in that account. it's not something that most customers will understand unless they've been screwed by paypal before but for the health of the business i had to do it, so basically to refund someone i need to get money into that account which takes about 2-4 days to transfer, then transfer it to paypal which from that specific account takes about 2-7 days (not sure why but it always took longer to go into paypal) so most people will actually get their refunds faster with the claims process...this again is something that to explain to every customer would take lots of time, but also knowing the majority would either think it was a lie or come up with some conspiracy theory. publicly it seems like a horrible move but it actually works in most of their favor.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he would need to transfer money to his PayPal account before refunding customers, how the hell is it going to be quicker for the customer to just file a claim? From what others have mentioned, I was led to believe that PayPal cannot refund any disputed transaction if the funds are not available in the seller's account.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-30-12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-30-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Has ANYONE who had an order cancelled by HME received a refund (either by credit card or Paypal)? I recieved cancellation notices on 1/24/2012, but have yet to see any refund via PayPal (six days and counting...) --Peter
I cancelled the Arrow disc of Maniac Cop on 1/3, and received a CC refund the next day.
Old 01-30-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ Did you file a claim against him, or did you just request a cancellation directly? It's appears he's sitting back and letting PayPal handle the disputes. I only pray there is still money in his account to cover my refunds. I've never encountered such a terrible situation with a seller in my life.

EDIT: A poster on the bluray.com board reportedly got the guy to respond directly to the refund issue:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he would need to transfer money to his PayPal account before refunding customers, how the hell is it going to be quicker for the customer to just file a claim? From what others have mentioned, I was led to believe that PayPal cannot refund any disputed transaction if the funds are not available in the seller's account.
If it's linked to a bank account then the bank account acts as a "backup" to the paypal account. As long as something is in the bank account they can draw it from there. Either way, my claim should move forward on the first of the month, so I'll update my situation in this thread.
Old 01-30-12, 02:39 PM

I ordered over $200 worth of merchandise from this guy between 12/19-12/21. Last Monday, he emailed me to tell me my order would ship out "this week." It's a week later and...nothing. Sent a couple other emails, explaining that I would need to cancel orders and seek refund, if I heard nothing further from him; needless to say, I got no further assurances that the discs were actually coming anytime soon.

I paid through Paypal and since the 45-day dispute period is coming to a close, I'm left with no choice but to open disputes on my 4 orders. A case of "too good to be true," at least for this collector. I just hope I get all of my $$ back.
Old 01-30-12, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sirbrady
I already asked for a refund so lets see what happens.
He responded and said I'll be refunded on my CC.
Old 01-30-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The main problem is that he's said a lot of things did/will happen but actual results vary.
Old 01-30-12, 05:14 PM

I hesitated on ordering from this site in the beginning but ended up taking a chance. Like many here, no merchandise received and over 30 days since my card was charged. I attempted to resolve the issue via email but no response. I had no choice but to dispute the charge with my credit card company.
Old 01-30-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the last of my items today and the ordeal is done.

I cant overstate how fast things turned around after I filed a claim with paypal. I went from a string of lies saying my 3 blus were already shipped to having my items mailed (2 from amazon) in no time.

The true comedy of it all is that 2 of the 3 blus are now just a few bucks more expensive on amazon anyway.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-30-12 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 08:42 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe how many people say they feel sorry for this guy. I've yet to hear back from my e-mail on the 20th (or before to the "other address") I'll give it till Friday then file a claim.

Didn't take long for the real reason the people at the blu-ray forum are freaking out, they're afraid their Zombie blu-ray wont come with a slip cover.
Old 01-31-12, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by bse
I can't believe how many people say they feel sorry for this guy.
I hear you. If he is truly concerned about his customers' satisfaction and maintaining good business etiquette, he isn't showing it by yukking it up on Twitter, playing the victim, and passive aggressively lashing out at said customers via his various social media accounts. I waited awhile before emailing him or contacting him via Twitter. I wouldn't have as much problems with waiting further if his communications were consistent and professional AND if I hadn't paid with PayPal. I've learned now to be much more careful with which businesses I use PayPal...it will be a, sadly, very expensive lesson if I don't get that $223 back.

Didn't take long for the real reason the people at the blu-ray forum are freaking out, they're afraid their Zombie blu-ray wont come with a slip cover.
So true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.