Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides blu-ray only $9.95

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides blu-ray only $9.95

Thanks to pureownages on blu-ray.com for the info. Great deal if you just wanted the blu-ray anyways

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=374713

Free shipping code YT4SWBFW

Note from Family Video:
Wondering why we can sell this HOT Blu-ray for ONLY $9.95? We need tons of DVDs for our in-store customers, but because Disney is only selling the Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs and DELAYING the DVD release, Disney is forcing us to purchase tons of Blu-ray/DVD Combo packs. This means we have 15,000 UNUSED, LIKE NEW Blu-rays of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" in their original packaging and available now to ship on or by street date. No minimum or maximum per order. Our over-purchase means SAVINGS FOR you!
I'm keeping my 3d one from amazon for 22 bucks, but this is great for someone who doesn't need the dvd/dc
Old 10-07-11, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides blu-ray only $9.95

agreed
Old 10-07-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Interesting, does anyone know how easy it is to cancel an order here? I want to wait until I see the release-week ads before I decided if I want to order this, but I wonder if they'll sell out.
Old 10-07-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks op I'll take one!
Old 10-07-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Sweet, in for one, since I dont need the DVD anyway
Old 10-07-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UNUSED, LIKE NEW
Screw that. They're opening the combo packs to sell the DVD and blu-ray separately. If the blu-ray is staying in the original package, that means they're printing up something for the DVDs.

I also hope you don't care about Disney codes because it's either going to be in the blu-ray or DVD case. It can't be in both.
Old 10-07-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Screw that. They're opening the combo packs to sell the DVD and blu-ray separately. If the blu-ray is staying in the original package, that means they're printing up something for the DVDs.

I also hope you don't care about Disney codes because it's either going to be in the blu-ray or DVD case. It can't be in both.
Family Video is a video rental place just like blockbuster. They are not splitting them up to sell the separately. Since disney won't give them any dvd's for rental until later they bought like 15k of the blu-ray combo packs. They are taking out the dvd's to be used as rentals in their BM stores.

Someone on blu-ray.com messaged them and they said it will be the blu-ray in the blu-ray packaging with the original coverart, you may or may not get the disney code, but I can't imagine you wouldn't since they aren't going to do anything with it.
Old 10-07-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Family Video is a video rental place just like blockbuster. They are not splitting them up to sell the separately. Since disney won't give them any dvd's for rental until later they bought like 15k of the blu-ray combo packs. They are taking out the dvd's to be used as rentals in their BM stores.

Someone on blu-ray.com messaged them and they said it will be the blu-ray in the blu-ray packaging with the original coverart, you may or may not get the disney code, but I can't imagine you wouldn't since they aren't going to do anything with it.
Got it. We have a similar place but they remove all inserts, so you never get codes.
Old 10-07-11, 01:11 PM

Free shipping code is not working for me...
Old 10-07-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Their free shipping codes are always limited and expire early.

Does anyone know how the special features are distributed across the discs on the 3D BD, 2D BD, and DVD? Apparently there are 3 BDs in the 3D version?

Unlike for The Lion King 2D vs. 3D release, I was able to find something on Google that seemed useful:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6864

Limited Edition 5-Disc Combo Pack Exclusive Features:
Legends of On Stranger Tides
In Search of the Fountain
Last Sail/First Voyage
Under the Scene: Bringing Mermaids to Life
Deleted and Extended Scenes with Intros by director Rob Marshall

It basically says that the 3D combo pack has an extra BD with special features not on the 2D disc. So, it seems keeping the Amazon preorder for the 3D version might not be a bad idea. Of course whenever I keep an Amazon preorder, there's usually a better in-store deal with PM + coupons.

Someone on SD speculated that Disney was purposefully holding back extras even on the 3D for a double dip in the near future. Does anyone know if that's true? At least on Transformers 3 that was announced, but when it's kept a secret purposefully by the studios to trick buyers I don't like it.
Old 10-10-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

You appear to be correct, Manzana. Amazon has a grid of the different Pirates 4 versions on their product description:

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribb...8305006&sr=8-1

Under the 5-disc Blu-ray 3D release, it says the bonus features are:

"Same as Blu-ray / DVD Combo pack plus:
Under the Scene: Bringing Mermaids to Life
Legends of On Stranger Tides
In Search of the Fountain
Last Sail, First Voyage"

So, yes, it sounds like there's an additional bonus features BD that is only being included on the Blu-ray 3D release (and the Four-Movie Collection).

In fact, it looks like the extra features on the main BD are very slim:

Bloopers of the Caribbean
LEGO Animated Shorts: Captain Jack's Brick Tales
Audio Commentary by Director Rob Marshall
Disney Second Screen
Old 10-12-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problem with them keeping the dvd, it means you cannot sell it unless you put it on ebay describing the missing dvd. I was in for one but I like the complete package. I don't even know if what they are doing is legal. O well.
Old 10-12-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by felcher
I don't even know if what they are doing is legal. O well.
Why wouldn't it be? Once you buy something you have the right to do with the original what you please. And that includes making it available for rent and selling all or part of it. You can't make copies and rent or sell those but there are no restrictions on the original.
Old 10-12-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Why wouldn't it be? Once you buy something you have the right to do with the original what you please. And that includes making it available for rent and selling all or part of it. You can't make copies and rent or sell those but there are no restrictions on the original.
Actually you are not allowed to rent or sell it unless you have a agreement with the studio whos titles you are selling to do so. Ofcourse selling a used copy is one thing but a retailer buying a bulk of an item with the intent of breaking apart the contents to sell seperately because they arent happy that DIsney is holding off on releasing a dvd only version is definately something that they could get in trouble with from disney.
The DVD and digital copy discs in most combo packs say right on the disc not for individual sale or rental
Disney made it clear to them that the DVD only version wont be availble till a latter date. the people who run this online retailer are choosing to circumvent that. yes its great for consumers who only want the bd for this low price, but technically its something that could wind up costing them future releases from Disney. Its not unheard of for studios to withhold titles from retailers who dont play by the rules.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 10-12-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Actually you are not allowed to rent or sell it unless you have a agreement with the studio whos titles you are selling to do so.
Disney made it clear to them that the DVD only version wont be availble till a latter date. the people who run this online retailer are choosing to circumvent that. yes its great for consumers who only want the bd for this low price, but technically its something that could wind up costing them future releases from Disney. Its not unheard of for studios to withhold titles from retailers who dont play by the rules.
It may be part of the agreement between Family Video and the studios but it's not law. If they purchased the movies via another channel bypassing their agreement with the studio they can do what they want as established by the "first sale doctrine" and set as a precedent in NEBG v Weinstein in 2007 or 2008.

I agree that's it's certainly going to anger the studio and will likely cost them in future dealings but, again, it's not illegal.
Old 10-12-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It may be part of the agreement between Family Video and the studios but it's not law. If they purchased the movies via another channel bypassing their agreement with the studio they can do what they want as established by the "first sale doctrine" and set as a precedent in NEBG v Weinstein in 2007 or 2008.

I agree that's it's certainly going to anger the studio and will likely cost them in future dealings but, again, it's not illegal.

I like selling off titles when I am through with them. I can't sell a product with missing content. I'll wait til B Friday and see the title sell at a lesser price.
Old 10-12-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can sell a product with missing content.
Old 10-13-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You are correct, but the thing is though they say outright they are purchasing them from Disney though.
Old 10-14-11, 09:59 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Actually you are not allowed to rent or sell it unless you have a agreement with the studio whos titles you are selling to do so. Ofcourse selling a used copy is one thing but a retailer buying a bulk of an item with the intent of breaking apart the contents to sell seperately because they arent happy that DIsney is holding off on releasing a dvd only version is definately something that they could get in trouble with from disney.
The DVD and digital copy discs in most combo packs say right on the disc not for individual sale or rental
This makes sense. My thinking is that this has not been brought to Disney's attention or it would have been addressed.
Old 10-14-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Problem with them keeping the dvd, it means you cannot sell it unless you put it on ebay describing the missing dvd.
I like selling off titles when I am through with them. I can't sell a product with missing content. I'll wait til B Friday and see the title sell at a lesser price.
What's your downside here? $10. I would imagine you could sell it for at least that much. Worst case, you get like $8...$9....less than the cost of a rental.
Old 10-15-11, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could buy most of them up.. and resell them without the dvd and make $.. There is no downside here unless you are wanting the dvd.

For me, I'm just going to buy it at best buy because I already bought the Metalbox preorder.
Old 10-15-11, 01:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with jswtl. There is no law prohibiting this. If there is an agreement barring this, it only means they could be sued for violating whatever agreement they have with Disney, and Disney could refuse to sell to them in the future. It would not be "illegal" in the sense of criminal penalties. The "first sale doctrine" should apply to allow them resell whatever they want.

Last edited by sherm42; 10-15-11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 07:36 PM

Anybody have another code for free shipping that works?
Old 10-16-11, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sherm42
Agree with jswtl. There is no law prohibiting this. If there is an agreement barring this, it only means they could be sued for violating whatever agreement they have with Disney, and Disney could refuse to sell to them in the future. It would not be "illegal" in the sense of criminal penalties. The "first sale doctrine" should apply to allow them resell whatever they want.
I agree its not "illegal" in the sense of criminal penalties, but it does most likely break the agreement that this particular retailer has in regards to how they are allowed to sell disneys product.
And Disney can if they want punish them for doing so.
Old 10-18-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I end up spent $21 for 3D Blu-ray version at amazon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.