Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes and Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale 7/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes and Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale 7/12

Originally Posted by TerryW
I bought some Eclipse titles along with a BD and used both coupons.
Thanks - but what I'm trying to determine is the list price of those Eclipse sets your coupons worked on. Which sets were they?

Last edited by Gypo66; 07-13-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 07:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wrapped it up for me for this sale. I think I'll start slowly loading up my savings for the holiday/Black Sale stuff now.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Paris, Texas
Bottle Rocket
The Darjeeling Limited
The Leopard
Days of Heaven
Naked
Old 07-13-11, 07:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Best bang for the buck (in-store w/membership) seems to be two $39.99 titles + 1 $29.99 title and 1 chocolate bar - with the $5 off the total comes in at just over $50.

I hit three stores yesterday while out running other errands - the first two had no problems with the $8 off the Monterey Pop blu set...the third store turned me down (Cary, NC / Southpoint in Durham and turned down at Hope Commons in Durham).

There did seem to be a scarcity of blu-ray collections in the stores (I don't think I saw the Yojimbo/Sanjuro collection at any of them) - on this trip I pretty much ignored standard DVD's.

No sign of The Killing at any stores.

Peter
Old 07-13-11, 07:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
No sign of The Killing at any stores.
Probably because it comes out in August. Unfortunately doesn't qualify for the sale. The stores here in Austin kind of suck with their limited stock as well.
Old 07-13-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

No luck trying to use the $8/$40 coupon on Seven Samurai. I must be getting too old, I can't even flirt my way into getting a semi attractive book nerd into accepting a questionable coupon anymore

I did end up picking up Solaris, Paths of Glory, and Something Wild for $16.33 each after discounts. I just went ahead and ordered Night of the Hunter and Seven Samurai online for $21.25 each and I think that will be it for this sale.
Old 07-13-11, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Thanks - but what I'm trying to determine is the list price of those Eclipse sets your coupons worked on. Which sets where they?
Sorry, they were $45 sets each.
Old 07-13-11, 08:45 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Have you seen the movie yet? You might want to try a rental first if you haven't. I bought it once on the strength of its reputation, but flipped it shortly thereafter. It just didn't seem to have that much rewatch value for me.
Oh, I’ve definitely seen it. Far from my all-time favorite, but worth owning (and it doesn’t hurt that I’m a Beach Boys fan).

I own the old Anchor Bay DVD set (the deluxe set that came in the big tin with keychain, booklet, etc.), which only makes it a bit harder to justify upgrading to the Criterion if it’s only in DVD format at this point. I know the Criterion has some new extras, and I can only imagine the image looks the same or even better.

But I think I’m still going to wait it out a bit more on the Blu front on this one.
Old 07-13-11, 08:49 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468

I would assume that it would get one EVENTUALLY, but I couldn't say if it's anytime soon.

Then again, I think most were surprised when Yi Yi, Fat Girl, and My Life As A Dog were announced, especially compared to other titles in their catalog which one could reasonably assume would have been a higher priority for rereleasing on Blu.

Now with that said, Two-Lane Blacktop did get released with the film's screenplay. The Man Who Fell To Earth is the only other Criterion DVD with a book that was released on Blu (that I can recall, anyway; and no I'm not referring to the standard Criterion booklet), and the Blu-Ray didn't have the book with it. If that's something that interests you, the DVD might be worth getting. The film itself is worth getting for Warren Oates performance alone.
I had thought of this as well, the possibility that the DVD version of “Two Lane Blacktop” might be more elaborate packaging-wise than a future Blu release. But I’m not hugely into having a copy of the script I suppose.
Old 07-13-11, 08:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by NoirFan
There hasn't been any rumor of a Two-Lane Blacktop Blu-ray as far as I know, but November's titles are being announced on Friday, so you might want to hold off on your purchase until then, just in case it's one of the announced titles.
Thanks for the tip. I can hope!
Old 07-13-11, 09:01 AM
Cool New Member

I ended up getting “Night of the Hunter”, “Solaris”, and “Crumb” yesterday. 57 and change out the door after the $5 coupon. Not bad I suppose considering “Night of the Hunter” lists for $50.

This was really my first time doing this sort of thing at B&N. I had actually had “Night of the Hunter”, “Crumb”, and two others reserved online. When I went to pick them up and told them I may not get one or two of the four I reserved, they seemed oddly annoyed if not angry about it. I just thought it was ironic that I often browse the DVD section at B&N and never buy anything, and they’re always nice almost to the point of bugging me while I shop, yet when I actually purchased items, they were not so nice all of a sudden. I obviously don’t want to make a habit of doing this, and I’m not trying to just reserve a million things that I have the slightest interest in just so nobody else grabs it. I just found it amusing.

I wish I could afford to do another round of three titles and use the coupon again, but I’ll probably end up maybe getting one other title that I’m interested in.
Old 07-13-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Picked up The Great Dictator and Amarcord online with the 10% off coupon. That should be all for this sale.
Old 07-13-11, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didn't even try the coupons this time around here in Austin. last sale i went to the 3 different locations i knew of, and they were already on red-alert for coupon usage by day 3 of the sale. it was pretty awesome putting back all 10 or so Criterions i had ready to purchase all three times. and by awesome, i mean shitty.

i just bought 6 blu's online two nights ago, totaling in at $137. i'm stoked on that.
Old 07-13-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just two Blu titles: Videodrome and Beauty and the Beast for $40 shipped. Would have pre-ordered 3 Women and The Killing, but looks like those two will have to wait for the next sale.

Really want to grab De Palma's Sisters, but the DVD is something like 10+ years old, and I get the feeling that a Blu announcement (either from Criterion or somebody else) is on the horizon. Can anyone confirm/deny my suspicions?
Old 07-13-11, 12:33 PM

They hinted at a Sisters blu on facebook a few months ago.
Old 07-13-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vichyfrance
Looks like I'm sticking to watching the movie on Netflix streaming for the time being then. Thanks!
Old 07-13-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vichyfrance
Sweet! That's one of my favorite films they have released, but it was in need of a better transfer. I wonder if I can even get $10 out of my DVD if it does get the BD treatment.

BTW, my order was delivered this afternoon. For free shipping, that is a new record! Unfortunately, the case on Black Orpheus was a little beaten up -- with holes poked in the back artwork. I guess I'll be e-mailing B&N about it. I know some have suggested contacting Criterion directly about new cases, but I did that with Night of the Hunter (after exchanging it with Deep Discount and STILL receiving damaged goods) and they were not responsive. Perhaps Mr. Mulvaney is backlogged, but it's been a couple weeks now and I never got a reply.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-13-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
BTW, my order was delivered this afternoon. For free shipping, that is a new record! Unfortunately, the case on Black Orpheus was a little beaten up -- with holes poked in the back artwork. I guess I'll be e-mailing B&N about it.
If you have a local B&N which has the title, they should be able to exchange it instore. I've done that several times.
Old 07-13-11, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
A question: there are two 5 off 50 coupons currently listed, each with a different expiration date. Are you using the same one each time or changing up the coupons at different stores?
no I just had multiple copies. I always strike up a friendly conversation while checking out, raving about how great the sale is etc. The girl that wouldn't pass the $8 coupon on Che or Raffaello did apply the $5 coupon to the purchase with both of them (which actually is a hair under 50, pre tax, but she was being nice. So I told her, "I printed out two copies of that 5 off 50 coupon, would it be okay to use another one and get a couple more?" She said, "Normally, no," big grin, "but go ahead just today." I think she felt sorry about the rejected $8 coupon.
Old 07-13-11, 02:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Probably because it comes out in August. Unfortunately doesn't qualify for the sale. The stores here in Austin kind of suck with their limited stock as well.
I mentioned them not having something to the cashier when I was checking out yesterday and he brought out a big ole box of blu-rays that he hadn't had the chance to put out yet. It might be worth a shot for some others to ask if there is something that doesn't seem to be in stock.
Old 07-13-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielocke
no I just had multiple copies. I always strike up a friendly conversation while checking out, raving about how great the sale is etc. The girl that wouldn't pass the $8 coupon on Che or Raffaello did apply the $5 coupon to the purchase with both of them (which actually is a hair under 50, pre tax, but she was being nice. So I told her, "I printed out two copies of that 5 off 50 coupon, would it be okay to use another one and get a couple more?" She said, "Normally, no," big grin, "but go ahead just today." I think she felt sorry about the rejected $8 coupon.
Thanks. Going to try the other $5 coupon at least, and may try the $8 if I buy something where I know it should work. Not going to push my luck, but glad you got to re-purpose that $5 coupon on some more titles.
Old 07-13-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stopped by B&N after work to pick up my reserved copies of Le Cercle Rouge, Army of Shadows, and Night of the Hunter. Had been in this store maybe once or twice before, years ago. Was surprised to see just a few Criterion DVDs in the movie department but couldn't find the BDs. Based on online searches, this store seems to be THE one to go to locally if you want Criterions, so I wondered where all the stock was.

A woman working in the department asked me if I needed help; I said I was there to pick up movies. I asked her where the other Criterion BDs were, and she pointed them out. Still seemed like a pretty puny stock; I guess they must keep extra copies in the stock room or something. She asked if I wanted to look around, but I had to go pick up my kids so I said, "Not now, but I will be back, as soon as I decide what else I want." lol

Used member discount and one of the 5 off 50 coupons. Average $17.83 plus tax each, which is okay with me. Planning to hit up the store again this weekend.
Old 07-13-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked up Something Wild and grabbed a Gordon Ramsey book off clearance for the wifey to get it over the $25 hump. I am pretty much good on Criterion blus currently, so didn't really see anything else I wanted.
Old 07-13-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

E7E4K8K - 7% off entire order

worked for me online
Old 07-13-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cineman
E7E4K8K - 7% off entire order

worked for me online
And you prefer that over the code that gets you 10% off your entire order and can be used multiple times?
Old 07-13-11, 11:04 PM

Picked up a few more things in-store and put my damage at about $250 for the sale entirely so that leaves a little left of my $300 limit. Bottle Rocket, Chungking Express, Darjeeling Limited, Lola Montes and Mystery Train all blu's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.