Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

has anyone seen a 5.99 table at their local Blockbuster?...mine had a lot of blu's priced more than 9.99 but with white stickers covering their store barcodes ... and going for 5.99 which made them work on the 5 for 20...picked up Salt, House of Flying Daggers, Broken Embraces, Coco Before the Chanel and Up in The Air....not bad
Old 05-28-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only one in the city that got 3.99 blu's was the one closest to me so I picked up

Sleepy Hollow
Case 39
Sahara
Rock N Rolla
Elf
Scott pilgrim X2 for trade.

Ok, i got the american, now pm me if you have anything to offer for Scott Pilgrim :P

Last edited by glassdragon; 05-28-11 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-28-11, 08:29 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

My local store had a special table out today....everything was $3.99 (so you didn't have to buy 5). Lotta stuff they didn't have last week...

Grabbed many, paired the stack down to 6, proceeded to the somewhat befuddled clerk, who rang me up at $21.72! (That's $3.62 a piece!)

My haul:

Easy A
Dogma
I, Robot
The Lost Boys
Piranha (2010)
Superman Returns

Happy day!
Old 05-28-11, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found Seven Years in Tibet at one today.
Old 05-28-11, 09:29 PM
vgc

Hi, I visited 3 Blockbusters today. Two of them had a whole table of $3.99 Blu Rays and there were a lot of 12.99 titles for $3.99 also. The clerk told me they would be marking the blu-rays down $1 each day until they were gone. I live in Kansas City so maybe this will be nationwide. Picked up Salt, The Expendables, Christmas Story, and Knight and Day for $3.99 each. I am blu-ray rich but cash poor. Thanks for all the posts.
Old 05-28-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vgc
Hi, I visited 3 Blockbusters today. Two of them had a whole table of $3.99 Blu Rays and there were a lot of 12.99 titles for $3.99 also. The clerk told me they would be marking the blu-rays down $1 each day until they were gone. I live in Kansas City so maybe this will be nationwide. Picked up Salt, The Expendables, Christmas Story, and Knight and Day for $3.99 each. I am blu-ray rich but cash poor. Thanks for all the posts.
It is, shhhhhh
Old 05-28-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just called 10 stores around mine and my girlfriend's area and 7 said they hadn't received more stock or they just got stuff for the 5/$20 sale.

However, one store said they already had $3.99 items out, but (and he volunteered this) they were talking about doing $2.99 tomorrow and 99 cents on Monday, depending on how stuff was shifting out the door.

Another store told be they had stock, but it wasn't out yet and they were doing 99 cents Monday and that all corporate stores were supposed to be doing this.

Finally, another store said they were expecting stock "for another sale" in the next day or two. I asked if they were getting individual backstock for the $3.99 sale and he said yes. I asked about 99 cent Monday and he said that they plan was to do sliding price drops on a daily basis, a buck a day, so perhaps 99 cents on Wednesday; it was dependent on when they were supplied the stuff.
Old 05-28-11, 10:35 PM
Cool New Member

same story at my local BB. 2.99 tomorrow, and 99 cents on Monday. I really scored, as they allowed me to pillage their 900+ new shipment (still in shipping boxes) and store away the ones I want so I can buy them for 99 cents on Monday

unfortunately there were was no copies Zodiac or Hot Rod, but there were plenty of others that I wanted. I picked out about 30, and when I show up Monday I'll probably grab another 10 if any good ones are left. at 99 cents its hard to resist buying one of each.
Old 05-28-11, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by giant panda
same story at my local BB. 2.99 tomorrow, and 99 cents on Monday. I really scored, as they allowed me to pillage their 900+ new shipment (still in shipping boxes) and store away the ones I want so I can buy them for 99 cents on Monday

unfortunately there were was no copies Zodiac or Hot Rod, but there were plenty of others that I wanted. I picked out about 30, and when I show up Monday I'll probably grab another 10 if any good ones are left. at 99 cents its hard to resist buying one of each.
It's pretty dumb of the store to hold things for you to get at 0.99 when they probably could have sold them today at 3.99. Hopefully you have a good relationship built there.... I wouldn't be suprised if they sold yours anyway or decide to keep for themselves.

I had a stack that the employee told me to leave behind the counter while I continued looking... 5 minutes later I see another employee with my stack putting them back on the shelf which I had to quickly stop.
Old 05-28-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by vgc
so maybe this will be nationwide.
Yeah, and monkeys fly.

Originally Posted by glassdragon
It is, shhhhhh
Stop the bullshit... No, it is not. That shit may be cute on the blu forum but it is still bullshit. shhhhhh
Old 05-28-11, 11:26 PM

Went to 3 stores and couldn't find a single copy of Yes Man so I ended up getting Zombieland, Funny People, Easy A, Coraline, Observe and Report and Shutter Island. The clerk only gave me to the bonus features disc for Funny People so I'll have to make a trip back, which sucks, but maybe they'll have some new stuff next week.
Old 05-28-11, 11:35 PM
Cool New Member

if they didn't give you the bonus disc chances are they don't have it.
Old 05-28-11, 11:37 PM

No she only gave me the bonus disc. She forgot to give me the actual movie. At least I hope they have the movie.
Old 05-28-11, 11:39 PM
Cool New Member

oh, I misunderstood. good luck, at the very least you can get your money back.

and thanks for reminding me to (try to) pick up Caroline. looks like a really neat movie.
Old 05-28-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Yeah, and monkeys fly.

Stop the bullshit... No, it is not. That shit may be cute on the blu forum but it is still bullshit. shhhhhh

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. The guy at my bbv confirmed it and many, many, many others confirmed it was told to them too at their store so it is national. Seriously, the personal attacks are not necessary.
Old 05-28-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
As I posted above, two of the three stores that said they'd be having these deals said that ALL THE CORPORATE STORES would be doing it. (They could be wrong, but they seemed to know what they were talking about.) The question is which locations are corporate and which are franchise?
Old 05-29-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up the following today:

Bullitt
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
An Education
Eyes Wide Shut
Good Night and Good Luck
The Informant (going back since it's a rental exclusive; sticker was covering up the RENTAL on the cover)
Leaves of Grass
Public Enemies
Red Cliff Parts I and II
A Serious Man
The Taking of Pelham 123
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Watchmen: Director's Cut
Old 05-29-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm praying that my store has the blurays reduced to $0.99 on Monday, considering that they just received a big shipment on Friday.
Old 05-29-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From someone over at bluray.com. This right here sounds believeable as any of the stores by me give me WTH look when I even mention this $3.99 and dropping deal that is supposed to be going on. So I guess my stores are franchises and/or just suck which I think is the case

They haven't lowered the price of anything. Select stores are receiving the excess discs from closed stores to liquidate at $3.99 yesterday, $2.99 today and .99 tomorrow. If your store is not one of those stores, Catfish will continue to be $16.99. Only items from other stores count so your store could have copies for 2.99 and copies for 16.99.

It's just a mass sale of leftover stock so they don't have to pay to store it all. There are no permanent price drops as of this moment
Old 05-29-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to the Hazel Park, MI store (9 Mile btwn John R. and I-75) and they're doing $2.99 today and 99 cents tomorrow. I was disappointed by the selection as they had a bunch of Grey's Anatomy discs and other lame (for me) titles. No Salt, for example. Picked out 15 or so and put back six, picking up the stuff that I would've jumped on for 5/$20. Got these:

* The Mist (only copy)
* The American
* Alien vs. Predator (the first, less bad movie, not AvP:R; only copy)
* Domino (only copy)
* The Other Guys
* Sky High (only copy)
* Resident Evil Afterlife (might've been only copy)
* Piranha
* Planet Terror (only copy)

The had single copies of White Ribbon, The Young Victoria and some others that weren't interesting to me for more than a buck, like The Expendables. I'm sure there's some things others may like. Cheers!
Old 05-29-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Stopped to two stores today. One being my local store and the other a store that is near my girlfriend's place that I hadn't been to.

Rohnert Park, CA

Alright selection of titles. All scattered between a marked table, endcaps and some BDs in section. Only issue worth mentioning is a fair amount of titles near the end of the alphabet face a window, so there was a lot of sun fading on select titles.

Picked Up:
Brothers
It's Complicated
Shutter Island (last copy)
The Wolfman
Repo Men

Novato, CA

Doesn't seem like this sale is picking up here or if this store is getting a lot of restock. Titles at both the table and in section were basically the same from when I stopped by here last week.

Didn't see $3.99/5.99 BD table/bin at either store.
Old 05-29-11, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for the people finding the clearance blus

Are you sure there gonna be 99 cents tomorrow? I called 10 stores and only 2 had them but didnt know if there would be 99 cents. Thanks
Old 05-29-11, 02:54 PM
Cool New Member

Went to my store today just to check for added titles/price drops, but found a $2.99 table. Took 6 titles to the register and while being checked out, asked, "Are you getting any more titles in any time soon?". She responded, "We have all of those boxes over there to unpack and those Blus will be sold for a dollar tomorrow". The woman who was ringing me out seemed to be a manager (though I don't know for sure), so I imagine that the stores that have $2.99 titles today will most likely be selling them for a buck tomorrow. It's worth a drive to those stores atleast!
Old 05-29-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

By posting this deal you guys made me drive 10 miles today! Oh the horror of it! :-) Seriously, I called a couple Blockbusters and they said they hadn't gotten any BDs for this price, but then I was told 2 stores (1 5 miles away and 1 12 miles away) got them, so I went to the closer store. It was pretty much 1 side of 1 row top to bottom (not a table). I did find a couple dozen to get at $2.99, but didn't see Knight and Day which I wanted.

The manager told me the titles were dropping from $2.99 to $1.99 on Monday and then to 99c on Tuesday. That's different than what everyone else is posting (which is 99c on Monday). I casually mentioned (jokingly) to the manager if he could hold the ones I wanted to buy until Tuesday when they're 99c and (as I expected) he said no. I find it hard to believe a previous poster found a manager to do that for him. The manager also said they had just put these out last night and claimed there were no more unopened boxes.

Simply waiting to go on Monday (or Tuesday) seems like a big gamble that the titles you want would still be there. Most of them were 1 or 2 of each. Maybe the ones that had 6+ copies (like The Men Who Stare at Goats or Boondock Saints II) would survive until 99c day.

There were at least 30 titles I had bought last week on the 5 for $20 deal that I saw for $2.99. I wish I could predict the future and know I should have waited on those to save $1 each. Of course at Blockbuster all sales are final and no price adjustments within 30 days which makes me glad they don't do these sales too often. I have no problem with everyone getting 5 for $20, but if within 30 days they offer the same stuff a lot cheaper that bothers me. If I go back on 99c day, everything I bought will probably still be there and everything I didn't buy but wanted to won't (Murphy's Law).

A couple dozen titles for $2 less each is about $50. To wait or not to wait. I didn't wait, and I'll probably regret it... if I have time to go out there tomorrow which I probably won't.
Old 05-29-11, 07:08 PM

Anyone in San Antonio know which stores are coporate and will have the sale?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.