Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Originally Posted by dino88
My cases already shipped. I only placed the order 4 hours ago.
Super Media Store is great about quick shipping, I ordered some ink a couple of weeks ago and got a shipping email less than an hour after placing the order.

I went to one Blockbuster today on my lunch break and was told something like "the bluray sale is pushed back to the 22nd, we're repricing everything". So before I left work I called one about 6 miles from my house and they said the sale was on. So I picked up:

Friday the 13th
Inglorious Bastards
Star Trek 2009
The Truman Show
Zombieland
Old 05-18-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I went today and there was a shitty selection at my store. Only picked up 5. I will probably go to another one or two later on since the sale ends on the 6th of june.

Ghost Writer
Lucky Number Slevin (don't think this was on the front page list)
Natural Born Killers
The Other Man
The Brothers Bloom
Old 05-18-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

^^Which store said they weren't having the sale? I was at Fuquay and Apex today and it was going on at both of them. I'm going to hit up the three on Capital tomorrow.
Old 05-18-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up another 5 today at a different store

Funny People
Surrogates
Star Trek
Grown Ups
Karate Kid

Just a heads up, the manger came over to me and we started talking for a bit. Supposedly the distribution center is going to start sending out craploads of DVDs and Blus that were left over from all the store closings that they were not allowed to sell during the clearance sale. She said the first shipment comes in on Friday. Also, after the sale ends, they are going to decrease the remaining moves down around a dollar a week until the shipments are gone. So $9.99 to $8.99 to $7.99 ect. Again, don't if she is 100% right or not but it might be worth looking into.
Old 05-18-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran to a couple more stores today, bringing my total up to 35. Eek!

I saw some stuff that isn't in the OP yet, so I'll add those:

Jerry Maguire

Can't think of any more, so just that one.
Old 05-18-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
^^Which store said they weren't having the sale? I was at Fuquay and Apex today and it was going on at both of them. I'm going to hit up the three on Capital tomorrow.
Apex said they weren't when I went in around 1. Older tan guy with protruding chest hair and a gold chain was behind the counter. He said it works for DVDs, but it won't for blu-rays yet. Crap, wish he would've known what he was talking about, could've saved some gas/time. Oh well, I think they had pretty much the same selection as Fuquay, but I might check back tomorrow or Friday.
Old 05-18-11, 07:45 PM

It was definitely working at Apex, I stopped there yesterday as well. Not the best selection, but they said there will be more out on Friday (this was said by the store manager).
Old 05-18-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this is a great sale, I just ran into the helpless corporate disservice that is killing them off and not a moment too soon for my tastes.

As I mentioned last night, I discovered after coming home from my local store - how local? I can see it from where I'm sitting now - that Jet Li's Fearless was eligible but the copy I was looking at was priced at $12.99. I'd picked up The Replacement Killers as a 5th title, but I've already got both cuts on DVD and would rather get something new, so I figured I'd exchange them.

I figured wrong.

The very cute but utterly helpless girl with a Manager name tag told me that she couldn't exchange it for another title unless it was defective and the last one in the store. The reason was that the studios forbade it for copyright reasons. (Huh?) She'd have to ask her manager (aren't you a manager, Toots?) and she wouldn't be in until tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm going to be away until next week and I'm guessing it won't last on the shelf until then and the Bigger Manager may still thumb it down.

I've exchanged DVDs a couple of times before without a peep of hassle, so I wasn't expecting this buzz saw. Copyright my fat, indignant arse! I could've lied it was defective because I think it was the last one there, but noooooooooooooo! I'm honest and the drones just bleat lies about policy. The guy upthread who wanted to return 44-Inch Chest because he didn't like it; whatever happened with that? I don't want a refund; I want to exchange one eligible title for another - no harm, no foul. Cute Helpless "Manager" said I should've asked about the price if I wasn't sure. I told her I didn't know until I got home.
Old 05-18-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear about your experience, Dirk.. I've had nothing but good luck so far.

I bought 20 titles at one store yesterday. After coming home and starting to exchange the cases for standard blu-ray cases, I noticed that a couple of them had damaged cover-art, and that Transformers 2 was only "Disc 1". I called and asked if I could come back and at least trade out the damaged ones for different copies. Went in and was relatively painless. They let me exchange Transformers 2 for another title, and they didn't have another copy of Friday the 13th (Original), so I grabbed something else instead. Talked friendly with the girl (manager) while I was there the first time, telling her I heard about the sale through Twitter (lie), and asking for some price checks on stuff to verify (like Bolt). When I came in the second time, I mentioned how glad I was that they weren't getting shut down and we talked about that for a few minutes. She even offered me her job since I seemingly knew more about what was going on than she did.

Today, I hit up three more stores closer to my work. I bought 5 titles at one place, and 5 at another. At the third store, there was only one title I wanted (Eyes Wide Shut). I asked the lady there if I could exchange a title I bought at the store down the road for that one, and she said that would be no problem. I went back to my car and looked through my purchases to see which I wanted least, and noticed that The Informant was a "Rental" version, meaning no special features, so I took that in with the receipt and did a straight trade.

I think it's really all about how you approach these situations. If you're kind and patient, I think most people are more likely to help you out if you need it. Just my opinion.

Sorry about the long-winded post.
Old 05-18-11, 08:40 PM

From someone who worked retail for about 7 years to get through HS and College, Shagrath is correct. Bonus if you have tits.

Of course, you'll always run into the occasional hard ass douchebag who's going to be an ass no matter what.
Old 05-18-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Thanks everyone! I just placed an order for 25. That's a ridiculous deal.

If anyone is planning on ordering more than 25, you should place separate orders to take full advantage of the coupon code.
I guess this is dead? I keep getting a message saying the code is only good for $3 off $30 purchase.
Old 05-18-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to 4 different Blockbusters but none had Gandhi or Let Me In so if anyone has either or saw either in their store and are willing to part with it, I'll trade one below to you (minus the select few I definitely wanna hang onto). PM me

Lonesome Dove
Moon
Valkyrie
G.I. Joe
Last House on the Left
The Final Destination
State of Play
Benjamin Button: Criterion
Bolt
The Uninvited
Red Cliff International 1 + 2
Speed Racer
Up in the Air
District 9
A Single Man
Zombieland
Ponyo
The Collector
Drag Me to Hell

Last edited by Jamezuva; 05-18-11 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
I forgot to ask if the titles above 9.99 were indeed 3 for $20. Has anyone asked, attempted or been able to get this deal?
My branch said that 3 for $20 was for DVDs only and there were no deals for Blus above $9.99 at this time.
Old 05-18-11, 09:07 PM

Quick few questions - does anyone know if Indiana Jones or Star Trek come with the second bonus disc?It seems from the post above that Transformers 2 doesn't. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-11, 09:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by rkndkn
My branch said that 3 for $20 was for DVDs only and there were no deals for Blus above $9.99 at this time.
same here, according to the facebook page of BB and the employees I've talked to they put out a memo to all employees to clarify that the 3 for 20 for ONLY dvds
Old 05-18-11, 09:14 PM

After visiting 3 stores (Champlain/Perrin, First/Bullard, Clovis/Kings Canyon), I think I'm done. For those in the area, First/Bullard had a mediocre selection, while the other two had fairly good selections. Here's what I picked up:

• Into The Wild
  • The Time Traveler's Wife (rental copy)
  • Planet 51
  • Red Cliff Pt. 1
  • Red Cliff Pt. 2
  • The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
  • Tommy Boy: Holy Schnike Edition
  • Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
  • The Girl Who Played With Fire
  • She's Out Of My League
  • The Men Who Stare At Goats
  • Letters To Juliet
  • Green Zone
  • Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure
  • Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
  • G.I. Joe
  • Gandhi: 25th Anniversary
  • Youth In Revolt
  • Up In The Air
  • Knocked Up
  • Couples Retreat
  • Led Zeppelin: The Songs Remains The Same
  • 17 Again
  • Funny People
  • Batman: Gotham Knight
Old 05-18-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Sorry to hear about your experience, Dirk.. I've had nothing but good luck so far....I think it's really all about how you approach these situations. If you're kind and patient, I think most people are more likely to help you out if you need it. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by John Galt
From someone who worked retail for about 7 years to get through HS and College, Shagrath is correct. Bonus if you have tits. Of course, you'll always run into the occasional hard ass douchebag who's going to be an ass no matter what.
I was polite, if somewhat incredulous. This poor girl who is blessed to be able to coast on her looks wasn't being mean or obnoxious; she was being useless and incapable of independent thought. As Shagrath related and I've experienced myself, I've never had much trouble with exchanges*, so I'm more annoyed that a "manager" couldn't do anything without a bigger manager's OK and that there was a mysterious "copyright law, studio-mandated policy" in effect.

If she'd told me she was grossed-out by my attempts to be suave and charming since I'm old enough to be her father and thus "NO EXCHANGE FOR YOU!" [/Soup Nazi voice], I would've respected that more than this mousey "the policy is that..." crapola. Policies are the refuge of the weak and simple. What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? (Note: A saying created by a customer.)

* I once bought Law Abiding Citizen on DVD for $4 about two days before Target was selling the Blu for $6. I took it back and said that "my friend had it already, may I exchange it?" and swapped it for Gamer, thus maintaining the balance of Gerard Butler in my collection.
Old 05-18-11, 09:51 PM

Haha, one of the most important things our DM ever taught me was never, ever, under any circumstance say the word "policy" to a customer.
Old 05-18-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ppawuk
Quick few questions - does anyone know if Indiana Jones or Star Trek come with the second bonus disc?It seems from the post above that Transformers 2 doesn't. Any input would be appreciated.
I picked up Indiana Jones yesterday, and it had both discs. Sorry I don't know about Star Trek. Other two disc titles I got included Zodiac and Gandhi.
Old 05-18-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My Star Trek was only 1 disc.
Old 05-18-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ppawuk
Star Trek is only one disc. You still get the commentary track, so it's not a complete bust. That's the main extra I usually want anyways.
Old 05-19-11, 12:34 AM
Cool New Member

Star Trek and The Crazies are 1 disk. Funny People and Benjamin Button have both.

and a very minor detail, but Taken and Valkyrie say "Rental Exclusive" at the very bottom. I didn't notice until I got home because the stickers were covering them up. both disks have all the bonus features, so it's no problem.

also I asked my local BB if they have any original blu ray cases, and as someone else reported, they claim the blu rays arrive in the DVD cases
Old 05-19-11, 01:50 AM

Tried to get the blu ray cases from super media store tonight and it says the coupon is for $3 off $30. Did it die in a matter of hours today? bummer
Old 05-19-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smackattack
Tried to get the blu ray cases from super media store tonight and it says the coupon is for $3 off $30. Did it die in a matter of hours today? bummer
Seems so. I wanted to use the code for some single cases after I got doubles with the code. I procrastinated since it worked during the day but waited till I got home to order and bam, it stopped working.
Old 05-19-11, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nycdude
Seems so. I wanted to use the code for some single cases after I got doubles with the code. I procrastinated since it worked during the day but waited till I got home to order and bam, it stopped working.
Though SMS' sale on BD cases may be over, it will happen again. I have a note saying these same single BD cases were $9 delivered back in December, so $11 is not the cheapest they've been. The reason I passed on this SMS deal was I'm unsure of the quality compared to the "Viva Elite" ones I'm used to for basically the same price. I don't recall reading anyone posting how these SMS cases compare. I hate flimsy cases that don't snap well together. I suppose for $11 I should've just tried 25.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.