Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Criterion Blu-ray Sale at Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 08:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Criterion Blu-ray Sale at Amazon

Price drops imply the new lower price is now the standard price. A sales price means a temporary lowering of the price. I think we can all safely assume that these prices are not the new standard prices for these Criterions. Based on past 'sales' - these prices will likely remain in effect for another two or three weeks. --Peter
Old 05-04-11, 11:54 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Pulled the trigger on:

Breathless - $17.49
Blow Out - $18.99
America Lost and Found: The BSS Story - $50.39 (Goldbox Deal price)

I really hemmed and hawed over the America Lost and Found set. I've been meaning to buy The Last Picture Show on DVD for $12 or so (I absolutely love the book) but something about that price for all of these cult classics really pulled at me. This is not the way to save money.
Old 05-05-11, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet Smell of Success just popped up in my Gold Box. I've never seen it and I've yet to make a purchase from this sale.

Seriously considering this one.
Old 05-05-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet Smell of Success is really good. If you like fast talking noir pictures it is one of the best.
Old 05-05-11, 07:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
That's a nice discount.

I regret making that my first purchase of this sale. I'm getting some of the others in my quick picks, but could have maximized it a bit better most likely.
Old 05-05-11, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Pulled the trigger on:

Breathless - $17.49
Blow Out - $18.99

I really hemmed and hawed over the America Lost and Found set. I've been meaning to buy The Last Picture Show on DVD for $12 or so (I absolutely love the book) but something about that price for all of these cult classics really pulled at me. This is not the way to save money.
I have watched the first couple of movies from the set so far (Head and Easy Rider) and have enjoyed them both. Head is a little directionless and weird but I wish the Monkees would have done more psychedelic music...
Old 05-05-11, 11:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Head, Last Picture Show and Easy Rider are all classics...but the remainder of the BBS output I found to be pretty mediocre...even King of Marvin Gardens left me cold. --Peter
Old 05-05-11, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Head, Last Picture Show and Easy Rider are all classics...but the remainder of the BBS output I found to be pretty mediocre...even King of Marvin Gardens left me cold. --Peter
I'd agree with you, if you included Five Easy Pieces.
Old 05-05-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Proglodite
My favorites are The Last Picture Show and Five Easy Pieces. Easy Rider I find pretty phony; definitely not a fan of that one although I know lots of people are.
Old 05-05-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After a couple days with 8 Crit Quick Picks, I had two yesterday and only one today, with nothing else. Blow Out still hasn't shipped. Grrr.
Old 05-05-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm actually thankful none of my Criterions have shipped yet. Hopefully, they'll end up on next month's billing cycle.

What I do find strange is that I ordered The Vicar of Dibley Collection (Deal of the Day on 4/27) and it still hasn't entered the shipping stage. According to Amazon, it's still In Stock. In fact, I don't think it's ever gone out of stock since I placed the order. Don't know what the hold up is on that one.
Old 05-06-11, 06:42 AM
Cool New Member

Just received an email from Amazon. Looks like the sale ends on 5/9.
Old 05-06-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like Amazon restocked the Criterions. I received two emails that my delivery estimates have been moved forward. My replacement copy of Blow Out is shipping today and should be here Monday. The Red Shoes was originally scheduled for a May 18-25 delivery, but now it looks like it will be arriving here on Wednesday.
Old 05-07-11, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Finally gave in to the blind buy on Blow Out. Still want Broadcast News but maybe it'll come into my Gold Box.
Old 05-07-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I got my copy of Amarcord in yesterday and the box/sleeve was partially crushed. Should I go through the hassle of trying to have it replaced?
Old 05-07-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I got my copy of Amarcord in yesterday and the box/sleeve was partially crushed. Should I go through the hassle of trying to have it replaced?
Contact Criterion at [email protected] and explain the situation. They'll take care of it.
Old 05-07-11, 12:32 PM

I actually had this problem as well. I ordered five single titles and a box from this sale. Everything shipped separately (still waiting on one title) and two arrived in simple bubble wrap envelopes. One was fine, the other was crushed in the corner.

The return process was surprisingly simple. I printed out Amazon's return label, ripped the old labels off the envelope, pasted the new label on and dropped it off at a UPS box. (Turns out there are two on the same block as where I work.) The combined process took about five minutes of my time. Amazon reshipped -- in a box this time -- and I had my new, undamaged copy two days later. The next day, I got an email from Amazon saying they'd received the one I mailed back.

I do have Prime, so maybe a non-Prime member wouldn't get the same level of service, I don't know.
Old 05-07-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Contact Criterion at [email protected] and explain the situation. They'll take care of it.
I emailed them over a week ago and never heard back.
Old 05-07-11, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't contact Criterion. This is more Amazon's problem and their return process is surprisingly quick and easy. I've had a great experience returning with Amazon and their CS has been helpful with me in the past. In most cases, I believe they ship you another one before they even receive the package (if the returned item doesn't reach their warehouse in something like 30 days, then they charge you for the second one).

If the case isn't to your liking, I would certainly return it...I've only had to do it once before on a BD, but it was really simple.
Old 05-07-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the replies about my copy of Amarcord. I was almost willing to just accept it as it is but I just can't do it. I'll be contacting Amazon sometime today. Thanks again!
Old 05-08-11, 06:56 PM
Cool New Member

I had a good experience getting replacement cases directly from Criterion directly. Then again, I was referencing an order I had placed on the Criterion website (when they had the 50% off sale a few months back). But they didn't ask for any proof of purchase or anything, they just sent replacement cases.
Old 05-08-11, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the replies about my copy of Amarcord. I was almost willing to just accept it as it is but I just can't do it. I'll be contacting Amazon sometime today. Thanks again!
In recent shipments I've received, I've noticed that Amazon has started to get a little lazy with their packaging. For some BDs, I've received it in a padded yellow envelope. That is the only BD I've had to return; it was completely destroyed.
Old 05-09-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Finally gave in to the blind buy on Blow Out. Still want Broadcast News but maybe it'll come into my Gold Box.
Got Amacord as a quick pick but nothing else. May have to give in if the sale indeed does end today.
Old 05-09-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The past 4 days they have not given me one Criterion in my quick picks.
Old 05-09-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today my Quick Pick (singular) is Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM for Large Dogs. My g/f and I have cats, not dogs. Dogs suck. I've never looked at dog stuff on Amazon or anywhere. They may as well toss Michael Moore propaganda films into my Box while they're thumbing their nose at me. Jerks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.