Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Criterion Blu-ray Sale at Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Criterion Blu-ray Sale at Amazon

I just pulled the trigger on Sweet Smell of Success & The Double Life of Veronique for $35.61(both in the GB). This will do it for me unless they add some new titles(I would love to see the pre-order of Kiss Me Deadly make the drop).
Old 05-02-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

And... I just ordered 27 Criterions from this sale, basically everything that was under 20 bucks apiece. I am beginning to wonder if it is a good thing that I have extra money hanging around or not.
Old 05-02-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
And... I just ordered 27 Criterions from this sale, basically everything that was under 20 bucks apiece. I am beginning to wonder if it is a good thing that I have extra money hanging around or not.
It's either you spend it on Criterions or waste it on gas.
Old 05-03-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 Criterion Blus in my Gold Box today, proving that Amazon are malicious bastards with a mean streak.
Old 05-03-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
Got the same offer in my Gold Box today. Not what I was hoping for, but over 60% off is about the cheapest I've seen a Criterion go for. Since they say it won't ship for 9-13 days, I can always cancel if I change my mind.

I've seen Hidden Fortress and enjoyed it, but I haven't really gotten into Kurosawa just yet. I ordered Seven Samurai on sale at Borders.com a couple months back, so I'll give that a spin in the next day or so and see what I think.
Old 05-03-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
8 Criterion Blus in my Gold Box today, proving that Amazon are malicious bastards with a mean streak.
I had a couple yesterday; nothing I wanted though. Today I only have Seven Samurai, which I own on the three-disc DVD and isn't on sale anyway. I don't feel a need to upgrade that yet when there are other Criterion releases either out or in the pipeline that I want.

The rest of my GB lineup is A.I., Papillon, Platoon, and a bunch of nature documentaries. A. I. and Platoon are titles I might buy when they get to $14 or less.
Old 05-03-11, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yojimbo/Sanjuro just shipped, so that completes my order

Previously bought:
Blow Out
8 1/2
Seventh Seal
Double Life of Veronique
Paths of Glory
Old 05-03-11, 08:57 PM

Only one I bought so far is: Topsy-Turvy
Old 05-04-11, 03:38 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Still none in mine, even though I've already ordered a few. Any suggestion as how to "get them to appear"?
Old 05-04-11, 08:01 AM

Ordered the Sanjuro/Yojimbo set last night, because the price is so good. I'll eBay my Sanjuro DVD so hopefully I'll wind up paying about $10 for this upgrade. Thanks for the thread!
Old 05-04-11, 08:35 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Keesie
Still none in mine, even though I've already ordered a few. Any suggestion as how to "get them to appear"?
You have to go into your recommendations list and clear out what you are not interested in. I do this once a month or so, and my Quick Picks are usually pretty decent. I had to remove dozens of Android apps since I've been picking up the free app of the day.
Old 05-04-11, 09:25 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by PerryD
You have to go into your recommendations list and clear out what you are not interested in. I do this once a month or so, and my Quick Picks are usually pretty decent. I had to remove dozens of Android apps since I've been picking up the free app of the day.
Thanks, good tip
Old 05-04-11, 01:50 PM

Alright! Veronique and Breathless appeared in my Gold Box today. Those were the last two sale titles I was hoping would show up. I also threw in Senso for good measure. Might not be my type of film, but I love Alida Valli, so I'll give it a try.

So I've ended up ordering 12 movies total during this sale (11 had the GB discount). I feel totally ridiculous spending that much, but at least these prices trump the B&N sale. My emergency fund will be taking a hit this month, but I'm happy to be picking these up at a decent price.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-05-11 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-04-11, 02:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I didn't have any quick picks for a couple months there, but they reappeared a few days ago. It might be based on how often you placed orders, as their disappearance coincided with a lull in my shopping.

Can't we only get one gold box item discount per day?
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
These were in my quick picks and it seemingly gave me the discount for both in one order.
I figured out a trick to get multiple gold box/quick pick discounts.

For each item you want in your discount section, open the "add item" link up in a new tab or window. I haven't tested it with more than two items, but I imagine it would work with all the items if you're so inclined.

Adding just one item at a time has always locked me out of getting further "quick pick" discounts that day.
Old 05-04-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I ordered Blow Out last night but it seems that they dont have it in stock. Its shipping between one and two weeks
Old 05-04-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Adding just one item at a time has always locked me out of getting further "quick pick" discounts that day.
How does it lock you out? I ordered 2 or 3 items from my GB on multiple days in the last week and received the discount on all the items. I added one to my cart and went back to the GB and added another and so on. I then looked at the total discount and it included all items.
Old 05-04-11, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl
How does it lock you out? I ordered 2 or 3 items from my GB on multiple days in the last week and received the discount on all the items. I added one to my cart and went back to the GB and added another and so on. I then looked at the total discount and it included all items.
Every since Amazon had this feature, if I leave the gold box/quick picks page after adding one of them to my cart, I can no longer get another extra discount. The price and the discounted percentage next to each item disappear.

Is it not that way for everyone else?

I suppose it's possible the extra discount is still there, but it doesn't show up on that page at least. Let me test it. Stand by. Or remain seated.

Ok, cool! It appears the extra discount is still there even after using it twice today. But I'm not completely crazy am I? The price and discount percentage do disappear after buying an item from the quick picks, which certainly makes it appear to be a once per day offer, right?
Old 05-04-11, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....I've no idea wtf you just said.
Old 05-04-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, cool! It appears the extra discount is still there even after using it twice today. But I'm not completely crazy am I? The price and discount percentage do disappear after buying an item from the quick picks, which certainly makes it appear to be a once per day offer, right?
The price does disappear but the Add to Cart button does not. In my experience, you can just go ahead and add it to the cart and you will get the discount.
Old 05-04-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it not that way for everyone else?
That's what I see after buying a quick pick. I've never tried to order two in one day, so I had no idea if it would apply the discount or not. It says in the quick pick terms and conditions that you're only allowed one a day, so I just assumed it wouldn't work. As little as I've used the feature in the past, I doubt I'll ever run into a situation where I need to use it more than once a day.
Old 05-04-11, 03:42 PM

^ It definitely works. I ordered three titles from my Gold Box this afternoon and got the discount on all of them.

But Trevor is right -- as soon as you add one of the Quick Pick to your cart, the price disappears from all the other items in your Gold Box. But if you want to order something else, just go to the item page. It will still give you the GB discount as long as that item also appears in your GB that day.
Old 05-04-11, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ It definitely works. I ordered three titles from my Gold Box this afternoon and got the discount on all of them.

But Trevor is right -- as soon as you add one of the Quick Pick to your cart, the price disappears from all the other items in your Gold Box. But if you want to order something else, just go to the item page. It will still give you the GB discount as long as that item also appears in your GB that day.
Thanks for the confirmation all. I can't believe I didn't try/figure this out earlier. I know there have been several times in the past where I wanted multiple items in my quick picks and I begrudingly picked just one.
Old 05-04-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Interesting--thanks for the discovery. I'd always assumed like Trevor, that when the other ones disappeared I was not eligible to cash in on more.
Old 05-04-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Any idea when this sale is over and the spending can mercifully come to an end?
Old 05-04-11, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Any idea when this sale is over and the spending can mercifully come to an end?
I asked amazon but they weren't so helpful. They're price drops...not sales per se I guess. They couldn't find a Criterion Collection sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.