Reload this Page >

Columbia House adds BDs to enrollment selections

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Columbia House adds BDs to enrollment selections

Old 04-26-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue
I scoured the entire list of enrollment selections and settled on the following Blu-Ray titles:

Shutter Island
Doomsday
Forrest Gump
Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Collective Soul & the Atlanta Youth Symphony: Home (or something like that)
Dances With Wolves
Pirate Radio

My credit card has been charged and I have been assigned an account number. However, when looking at the order history for my account the status of each selection reads “Backordered”. Two of the titles are expected to be back in stock on 05/02/11 but there’s no word on the rest of them.

If this is how CH will continue to operate I’m afraid this very well could be my last account with them. The savings just aren’t worth the trouble.
Did your card really get charged or was it a temp charge? My temp charge has disappeared because the enrollment package hasn't shipped, so the "real" charge hasn't been placed yet.

With so many newcomers here it is probably worth pointing out that Columbia House is not a store. It is a membership club and the promotional (enrollment) package is not like ordering from Amazon or something like that. Columbia House usually ships the enrollments in one package. If some are out of stock they will hold the order for a time to wait for them to come back in stock. If that doesn't work, they will issue rain checks for the missing titles (often the missing titles are back in stock by the time one receives the rain checks). The "backordered" status on titles without dates is probably just a formality because the whole package is being held, not because those titles are also out of stock.

I also have my enrollment package being held because several titles were OOS. One seems to have come back in stock, because the date has disappeared, but two still have dates on them. My guess is that the package will ship when the last of those two comes back into stock.

If this sort of thing bothers you, getting $6 BDs via a Columbia House club membership probably isn't for you. CH has its quirks and it takes some patience and experience to navigate the system and optimize a membership. That's why the Clubs forum exists.

Columbia House is likely getting hammered by new membership applications and they probably didn't expect it. The addition of BDs to enrollment selections isn't just being discussed here among the handful of us who frequent this forum (plus all the lurkers), it has also been reported at such new sites as bluray.com and generic deal sites like slickdeals.com. It isn't the first time CH has been overwhelmed by a particularly good deal going "viral".
Old 04-26-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Columbia House adds BDs to enrollment selections

I've never done this before but I figured why not since I wanted some catalog titles. Also, after I logged in I was pleased to see their prices are very reasonable on many titles.

My enrollment titled:

Once Upon a Time in America (OOS till who knows)
Stardust (OOS till 5/9)
Beautiful Mind
Lost in Translation
Patriot
Deliverance
Old 04-26-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lizard
If some are out of stock they will hold the order for a time to wait for them to come back in stock. If that doesn't work, they will issue rain checks for the missing titles (often the missing titles are back in stock by the time one receives the rain checks). The "backordered" status on titles without dates is probably just a formality because the whole package is being held, not because those titles are also out of stock.

I also have my enrollment package being held because several titles were OOS. One seems to have come back in stock, because the date has disappeared, but two still have dates on them. My guess is that the package will ship when the last of those two comes back into stock.
I'm not sure what their threshold is, but they shipped 6 of my titles, leaving one backordered title. Maybe 6 is the magic number, because we only needed to order 6 to join, and the 7th title was optional (at 9.95).
Old 04-26-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I'm not sure what their threshold is, but they shipped 6 of my titles, leaving one backordered title. Maybe 6 is the magic number, because we only needed to order 6 to join, and the 7th title was optional (at 9.95).
That makes sense. But, as you know, the ways of Columbia House are mysterious.
Old 04-26-11, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your card really get charged or was it a temp charge? My temp charge has disappeared because the enrollment package hasn't shipped, so the "real" charge hasn't been placed yet.
Looks like it's just an authorization at the moment.

CH has its quirks and it takes some patience and experience to navigate the system and optimize a membership. That's why the Clubs forum exists.
I've been recycling CH accounts for over twenty years (dating back to cassette tapes). It's never been as hit & miss as it is today. And you're right, it's probably not for me anymore. It's become more of a nuisance trying to stay on top of the CH offerings than ever before. I'll chalk that one up to getting older and lifestyle changes. Of course, I hadn't opened a new CH account in over a year until I noticed this thread so perhaps the issue is me more than Columbia House.
Old 04-26-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ordered seven BDs on Thursday and two BDs on Friday, and they all shipped Monday...no backordered titles, luckily.
Old 04-27-11, 12:24 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep I did 2 accounts -- 1 with 7 seasons of Macgyver and 1 BR all shipped the next day and I have them. Already ordered another set (Friday Night Lights and 2 DVDs for free to trade to Amazon for decent $$ using the 801490 code) and I am ready to close this account. 2nd account had 5 BRs, 3 TV sets (CSI NY, Batman Brave and Bold) and they shipped 2 days later.

Overall not bad. My main BR order (second account) was in backorder for 2 days but after that no problem. Considering another account but like you guys not much left I am looking for that can be gotten as an enrollment though.

Still I am managing to get 14 TV season sets, 6 BRs, and 8 DVDs that I trade/sell for a grand total of about $150 before trade in/sale so I am not complaining.
Old 04-27-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GCS
Yep I did 2 accounts -- 1 with 7 seasons of Macgyver and 1 BR all shipped the next day and I have them.
I joined with 6 sets I wanted but didn't want to pay full price for and a BR but the BR is on backorder so I'm still waiting. Not bad for $12.89
BR The African Queen Backordered , expected in stock on 05/02/11
DVD Less Than Perfect: Season One
DVD My Wife And Kids: Season 1
DVD Dexter's Laboratory: Season One
DVD Courage the Cowardly Dog: Season One
DVD Just Shoot Me! The Complete Third Season
DVD The Nanny: The Complete Third Season
Old 04-27-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GCS
Yep I did 2 accounts -- 1 with 7 seasons of Macgyver...
Still I am managing to get 14 TV season sets, 6 BRs, and 8 DVDs that I trade/sell for a grand total of about $150 before trade in/sale so I am not complaining.
I did not realize you could select TV seasons as enrollments (unless of course you were joining the TV club). Time to start looking for another 7 enrollments now! Thanks for the tip...
Old 04-27-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts

Damn, was going to get Friday Night Lights after reading this but they're showing up as Member Only titles for me.
Old 04-27-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He meant he used FNL for his fulfillment purchases using the B1G2 code I think.
Old 04-27-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Damn, was going to get Friday Night Lights after reading this but they're showing up as Member Only titles for me.
Interesting. I just got FNL in the mail today as one of my .49 selections.
Old 04-28-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Interesting. I just got FNL in the mail today as one of my .49 selections.
The movie or the TV series?
Old 04-28-11, 06:28 AM

How are you guys getting the 7 bluray offer ? When I go to there site all it says is 3 movies for $1 then I can pick 2 more for like $10 each.
Old 04-28-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdfreak2005
How are you guys getting the 7 bluray offer ? When I go to there site all it says is 3 movies for $1 then I can pick 2 more for like $10 each.

http://www.columbiahouse.com/pages/n....jsp?YSID=1556
Old 04-28-11, 09:23 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Whenever I try the links posted, I keep getting an offer for DVDs. Is there an enrollment code I can enter to get the deal?
Old 04-28-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ButchW
Whenever I try the links posted, I keep getting an offer for DVDs. Is there an enrollment code I can enter to get the deal?
Delete your CH cookies and then try the link. If that doesn't work, try another browser. You can no longer enter enrollment code.

EDIT: I just noticed that you mentioned DVDs. The Blu-rays are on the enrollment site. You just have to look for them.
Old 04-28-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Clear your cookies.
Old 04-28-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ButchW
If you pull up the DVD for a title that is available in Blu, it will say "Also available in: Blu-ray" right below the Add to Cart button, and you can click the Blu-Ray link. Note that you must be on the product page itself to see this.
Old 04-28-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

and don't forget not all titles are available either.... there are many titles are for members only.. and some they label that way.. others they just don't show you..
Old 04-29-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI...all of my enrollment titles were Backordered but today they all show as Shipped.
Old 04-29-11, 12:03 PM

Keep checking your account. They have not actually shipped yet. When there is a date displayed, then they have actually shipped. I just got my enrollment titles on the 26th. Ordered on the 18th; physically shipped on the 20th.
Old 04-29-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

All mine showed backordered but now they all show as shipped except Stardust, which is supposed to be in stock 5/9. The only other with a date had been Once Upon a Time in America (5/2), so this seems pretty good.
Old 04-29-11, 02:37 PM

Yeah, mine have all shown to be shipped as well. But I'm assuming shipped is the equivalent of shipping soon from Amazon and when the date appears next to them, that's the actual confirmation? And will there be an email sent to us confirming the shipment?
Old 04-29-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

Mine are all on backorder, i do wish I had seen the Superman thing efore I sent this order though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.