Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Criterion BBS Story 50% at bn.com + discounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion BBS Story 50% at bn.com + discounts

Title says it all. I couldn't get a B&M store to match so I could use one of the 25% off in-store coupons, but ordered online with a 15% off code. Total was $56.24.
Old 12-23-10, 06:12 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Criterion BBS Story 50% at bn.com + discounts

Great Find! Better than Amazon.com recent price of 69.99.
Old 12-23-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice find! I wonder if we'll see another 25% off coupon before the sale price is gone? I'm going to grab one and if we do I'll rebuy it and take back the other one.
Old 12-23-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fabulous...even better than the $64 I got it for during the Criterion sale period.

I have a B&N gift card and would love to use it for something like this...just need a deal on something I don't own already!

Anyway, this is a fantastic package so if interested jump on it...less than half price, wow.
Old 12-23-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sumdeus
Nice find! I wonder if we'll see another 25% off coupon before the sale price is gone? I'm going to grab one and if we do I'll rebuy it and take back the other one.
That seems like a pretty good idea. There is no way that I'm going to go to a B&N tomorrow even if they have a copy and match the price.
Old 12-23-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Title says something, but what is BBS story?
I'm out of the loop on that one.

Maybe a link
Old 12-23-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Title says something, but what is BBS story?
I'm out of the loop on that one.

Maybe a link
Quick search of the reviews here:

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story
Old 12-23-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Quick search of the reviews here:
Yeah I figured it out by accident when I was just on amazon, it always appears on my page there for some reason.
So it's actually called America Lost and Found: The BBS Story.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/...USRI=bbs+story

I guess I find it a tad irritating that people post these bargains without a link to the bargain.
Old 12-23-10, 09:16 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I find it a tad irritating that people post these bargains without a link to the bargain.
Wow, some people are NEVER satisfied, I am much appreciative for the leads on sales, I don't mind the effort of typing in BN.COM and searching BBS Story....

Anyway, thank you for posting this, picked up 2 copies (one of myself and one for a friend) - this will probably be my favorite release of 2010.
Old 12-23-10, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I agree. If you're going to the trouble of creating a thread, you should at least post a link.

BUT, in this case I think we can let the OP off the hook. I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can post links.
Old 12-23-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered, thanks. I might have saved more if I had waited until the next Crit sale in July, but who knows what the coupon situation will be then. I used for an additional 8% off so pretty close to what my in-store membership discount would be anyway. Plus, I don't have to wait six months for what is arguably the #1 release of 2010! This was my first order with e bates - I've seen mixed reviews online. How do they compare with the late, great Bing?
Old 12-23-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I agree. If you're going to the trouble of creating a thread, you should at least post a link.

BUT, in this case I think we can let the OP off the hook. I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can post links.
I think 30 is the cut off, but I'll let him off the hook anyway.
Old 12-23-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Use BIG c r u m b s for 9.6% cashback.
Old 12-24-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. I held off as long as I could. But 50% off plus a 15% coupon plus 10% cash back was too much to resist.
Old 12-24-10, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks pathman.

Was bummed at first when word got out this wouldn't be making the B&N Criterion sale cut-off date, then as time passed I found I could easily live without this one for a while.
Almost caved with the Amazon sale price, until I came to my senses and canceled the order (thank God it was backordered for a couple weeks).

But $57 and change (after tax) is my tipping point.

and the spending continues...
Old 12-24-10, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl
Thanks. I held off as long as I could. But 50% off plus a 15% coupon plus 10% cash back was too much to resist.
If you used a BN credit card, that would be another 5% cash back on top of all the discounts. The credit will show in your monthly statement. I got the extra 5% credit on all the Criterions I bought during their last 50% off promo.
Old 12-24-10, 08:43 AM

I'm leaning towards a blind buy of this set. I've only seen Easy Rider and I've heard of a good number of the other films. Anyone want to try and convince me how great (or unimpressive) it is? I've read some reviews online, but I always like to hear the opinions around here, too.
Old 12-24-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I'm leaning towards a blind buy of this set. I've only seen Easy Rider and I've heard of a good number of the other films. Anyone want to try and convince me how great (or unimpressive) it is? I've read some reviews online, but I always like to hear the opinions around here, too.
The period in time covered by this set is, arguably, my favorite in all of American cinema and represents a period of seemingly unfettered creativity in Hollywood-sanctioned films, one that had not occurred before and has not occurred since. Regardless of whether you love all the films or not, the set, with its bevy of bonus features and generous booklet, would be an excellent education piece as to why this period in American film is important.

I don't really want to push my opinions too hard, but for the record, I think two of the films in the set (Five Easy Pieces and The Last Picture Show) are masterpieces and, if forced to choose with a gun to my head, I'd probably pick them as the two best films of the 1970s. Easy Rider is a very good film also, although I'm not as convinced of its timelessness as I am of the other two. But I have great affection for "road pictures" of this era, and films that approach the counterculture in various ways. I would say that these three films alone, on Criterion-quality Blu-ray, plus all the extras in the set, are easily worth the 50-odd dollars you can get it for at this reduced price.

Opinions on the other films in the box are more divided so it's hard to say how one might react to them. Again, I think if you approach them as part of an education into this particular cinematic aesthetic, you'll find them interesting even if you don't like all of them.

There's my two cents. Hope it helps.
Old 12-24-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The period in time covered by this set is, arguably, my favorite in all of American cinema and represents a period of seemingly unfettered creativity in Hollywood-sanctioned films, one that had not occurred before and has not occurred since. Regardless of whether you love all the films or not, the set, with its bevy of bonus features and generous booklet, would be an excellent education piece as to why this period in American film is important.
This set only represents a sliver of that era. To get a far better sense of it, seek out the documentary Easy Riders, Raging Bulls- which can currently be had for under $7 new from 3 different Amazon Marketplace sellers. I'm sure the book it's based on is even better.

I'd be more inclined to talk people out of buying the set. I could think of many more ways to put $58 to use on well crafted films that are also entertaining. I'm buying the set primarily to get Last Picture Show- but even that one isn't a rousing crowd pleaser, or something I'm going to want to see very often.

I think a lot of people, including myself, that blind buy this are going to walk away admiring the idea of most of the films rather than actually enjoying them as entertainment.
Unless a couple of the other films really click with me, I expect I'll end up selling it off as soon as a stand alone copy of LPS becomes available.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-24-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
This set only represents a sliver of that era. To get a far better sense of it, seek out the documentary Easy Riders, Raging Bulls- which can currently be had for under $7 new from 3 different Amazon Marketplace sellers. I'm sure the book it's based on is even better.

I'd be more inclined to talk people out of buying the set. I could think of many more ways to put $58 to use on well crafted films that are also entertaining. I'm buying the set primarily to get Last Picture Show- but even that one isn't a rousing crowd pleaser, or something I'm going to want to see very often.

I think a lot of people, including myself, that blind buy this are going to walk away admiring the idea of most of the films rather than actually enjoying them as entertainment.
Unless a couple of the other films really click with me, I expect I'll end up selling it off as soon as a stand alone copy of LPS becomes available.
Valid point. Perhaps I should qualify my statements by saying that it can help, in watching these films, if you don't mind being somewhat provoked, as opposed to being entertained, by films. I do find these movies to be "entertainment" of sorts for me; maybe I'm just perverse.

I do love plenty of popcorn entertainment as well, but sometimes I just don't feel like watching Spielberg or Lucas and that's when I would go for films like the ones in this box.

I consider Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey--every single frame--the greatest accomplishment in cinematic history, and I know lots of people turn that one off in sheer boredom after ten minutes (or less).

So take my endorsement within this context, and of course, your own tastes before buying.
Old 12-24-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This set only represents a sliver of that era.
No argument. It wouldn't bad a bad intro (or refresher) though, for someone interested in that period. I could go on for hours about many other films of the period that I love a great deal.

The OP indicated they had not yet seen FEP or LPS. If he/she is open to the beauties of films like those, I can only say I envy them. I remember the first time I watched those films. I was bowled over. Had heard so much about them but was unprepared for their greatness.

I'm also somebody who thinks that melancholy--even outright sadness--in art can contain great beauty. And some of these films illustrate that perfectly.
Old 12-24-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm buying the set primarily to get Last Picture Show- but even that one isn't a rousing crowd pleaser, or something I'm going to want to see very often.
DVDBEAVER suggests that the Last Picture Show is the least impressive of the releases on Blu-Ray so you would be better off just getting the fine DVD single disc release and enjoy it on an upscaling DVD player.

Further, I think The Last Picture Show is a jewel that I watch every couple of years. It is terrific filmmaking with an interesting story and a great cast.

Other than that I agree with you, it's not a rousing crowd pleaser. But then again, if you want that the Criterion offerings are rarely the place to be.
Old 12-24-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What %15 percent code has worked? I have tried a few and nothing works.
Old 12-24-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try C3N8F7W
Old 12-24-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally got the C3 code to work, but I had to abandon the AAA discount, so I went thru Discover and got my %10 cash back along with %15 code.

Thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.