Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

$10 Gift Cert. From BB Reward Zone- Merry Christmas.

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

$10 Gift Cert. From BB Reward Zone- Merry Christmas.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: $10 Gift Cert. From BB Reward Zone- Merry Christmas.

I'm not sure I believe the "charges weren't done manually" thing. A lot of people had their first order cancelled, with an annotation that the "buyer returned item," and then had a second order set up for the larger amount. That seems a lot more shady than an automated mistake.
Old 01-01-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
you might live in a world where if you get charged 60 bucks for something that your consented to pay 11.49 for it wont hurt you , but most people in the real world have a set budget and when a company does that crap, it can very quickly cause the customer to start pileing up over drafts.

there are allready several ppl online who have said that getting charged 64 bucks for hellboy and wanted or coraline instead of the aprox 25 bucks they were suppose to be charged has caused them to have a overdraft on their account.
First of all it was stupid of BB to charge more than what the order initially noted.

With that said, if your finances are such that you don't have a $50 cushion in your checking account then you really have no business spending money on movies.
Old 01-01-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

and here I thought this was a thread about gift certificates.. too bad this can't be moved to the Store Forum.. as this has changed in focus... as it is no longer about deals or GF to use on Blu's.. just saying...
Old 01-01-11, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nugent
First of all it was stupid of BB to charge more than what the order initially noted.

With that said, if your finances are such that you don't have a $50 cushion in your checking account then you really have no business spending money on movies.
I'd happily live on Ramen for a month to buy a copy of the Full Disclosure Editon of Apocalypse Now if I "couldn't afford" movies.

Everyone deserves quality entertainment, so long as they're willing to make the payments.
Old 01-01-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I'd happily live on Ramen for a month to buy a copy of the Full Disclosure Editon of Apocalypse Now if I "couldn't afford" movies.

Everyone deserves quality entertainment, so long as they're willing to make the payments.
Dude, you are loaded! You know this isn't applicable to you!
Old 01-02-11, 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nugent
Dude, you are loaded! You know this isn't applicable to you!
Yeah, but I remember all the "lean times" I've had, and I ain't referring to my physique!
Old 01-02-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, but getting them to turn the electricity back on may take more than a month of Ramen. By the time you can afford to buy the movie and pay for the electricity, you'll be evicted for not paying rent...
Old 01-02-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by b2net
and here I thought this was a thread about gift certificates.. too bad this can't be moved to the Store Forum.. as this has changed in focus... as it is no longer about deals or GF to use on Blu's.. just saying...
I went into this thread thinking "why the hell is this thread still going, this should be long done" and then I joined in on the current conversation, LOL! I'm not sure where this thread went awry, I don't feel like reading back that far, but I agree it is now way OT...
Old 01-02-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It went awry somewhere when people started getting mad that they didn't get a GC when they shopped there a lot and the people who didn't shop there got 20 bucks.. So page 1 basically
Old 01-02-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But what kind of ramen? Stuff from the dollar store or the fancy Top Ramen? If you can afford the ramen that's more expensive than these two, you're not poor.

I remember those days and it wasn't because I was saving up for a movie. If only I knew then what I know now, I could have gotten a lot farther by buying beans and rice instead.
Old 01-03-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After not receiving a reply to my first email I decided to email them again. I got a quick response stating that they will give me the points equivalent of a $10 certificate. Awesome.
Old 01-03-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If only I knew then what I know now, I could have gotten a lot farther by buying beans and rice instead.
Speaking of wishing I knew then what I know now, I think I'd be rich right now if I had never bought movies on VHS, then the first DVD release, then the 2nd DVD release, or even the 3rd DVD release, and had just waited until the last few months to buy them all on Blu-Ray. Man, I would have saved a fortune!
Old 01-03-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Speaking of wishing I knew then what I know now, I think I'd be rich right now if I had never bought movies on VHS, then the first DVD release, then the 2nd DVD release, or even the 3rd DVD release, and had just waited until the last few months to buy them all on Blu-Ray. Man, I would have saved a fortune!
Another one of the underlying reasons why I rent 90% of everything and buy just a few each year. I was in early on the Beta then VHS. I was a latecomer to the LD's in the early days of DVD because so much was available that wasn't released yet on DVD. I went apeshit on the DVD collecting only to end up with a ton of crap I didn't want. So now I make sure the title is a great rewatchable title before I'll buy. After buying some titles 4 or 5 times that's enough.
Old 01-03-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Another one of the underlying reasons why I rent 90% of everything and buy just a few each year. I was in early on the Beta then VHS. I was a latecomer to the LD's in the early days of DVD because so much was available that wasn't released yet on DVD. I went apeshit on the DVD collecting only to end up with a ton of crap I didn't want. So now I make sure the title is a great rewatchable title before I'll buy. After buying some titles 4 or 5 times that's enough.
Fortunately, I rented in the VHS era and knew absolutely no one that did LD so I didn't get hooked then. Like you I "went apeshit" on DVD collecting before I realized it wasn't collecting really but just purchasing stuff that sat on shelves. At least I didn't double dip except for the Bond films and a couple other things.

So, it makes me sad to see guys buying A-Team and fourth seasons of TV shows that won't be worth anything in a couple years ... but I guess most have to learn the hard way (including me).
Old 01-03-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

But odds are, none of these will be "worth" anything even a year down the road. There are the occasional flukes - TRON, Salo, Titus, etc - but these are commodities. Just like most commodities, they tend to drop in price and value pretty quickly. If anyone is buying for a financial investment, they're foolish - put that money in even a savings account and you'll do better unless you get lucky. If it's an "investment for the future", ie, "I want to be able to watch this whenever", or "I want my kid to see the shows I grew up on", that's different.
When I first got into the hobby, yes, I wasn't very discerning a consumer - but I think that's common to many people when they first get into a new hobby.
Do some people spend too much on nonessentials? Sure. But that's not specific to this hobby, and in many ways it's better to have a new DVD a week, than eat out at lunch 3/4 times a week.
Old 01-04-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Deleted

Last edited by Manzana; 01-10-11 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FINALLY got a response to my email. They credited me with $20. However, they told me it appears they gave me a gc in October that long since expired, so maybe I'm not as lucky as I appear.
Old 01-06-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
But odds are, none of these will be "worth" anything even a year down the road. There are the occasional flukes - TRON, Salo, Titus, etc - but these are commodities. Just like most commodities, they tend to drop in price and value pretty quickly. If anyone is buying for a financial investment, they're foolish - put that money in even a savings account and you'll do better unless you get lucky. If it's an "investment for the future", ie, "I want to be able to watch this whenever", or "I want my kid to see the shows I grew up on", that's different.
Well, I can honestly say that I didn't buy anything expecting a financial windfall for reselling it ... but it would be nice if I could thin out my collection and get more than $1.50 per disc. I guess it is a vicious circle that we, the DVD cheapskates of the world, started.
Old 01-08-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crazy things are going on with this whole situation. First, I had to call 3 times to get things straight with this. Got $20, guess because I had two non active accounts and each had a $10 certificate in them. Got that before Christmas I think it was. Then two days ago I received email saying that they merged the dead accounts into one I use and for my inconvenience they were giving me 500 points and that they would appear in my account in 5-7 days.

Yesterday get email saying I had $10 certificate available and I checked, it said customer satisfaction so I know it wasn't for purchases. Today I check my email and had another email saying they were merging my accounts and for my inconvenience I was getting 500 points and they would appear in my account 5-7 days. So what I am wondering is would the first 500 appear in my account in a day or in 5-7 days do you think I will see another $10 certificate and then couple days after that $10 more?
Old 01-08-11, 07:53 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Sigh....why is this tired, whiny thread in the Blu-Ray Bargain Forum again?
Old 01-09-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

agree.... why not move it to the store forum or the hot deals...