Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

(DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: (DEAD) Lord of the Rings Trilogy $7.99 @ Target.com

Originally Posted by Commander Dan
I was eating breakfast with my family at a restaurant right beside my local Target, so at about 10:30am I checked online using my Droid and it showed LOTR as being "available." So, curiousity got the best of me and I walked over to take a look.

I located the bin tag, but there were none on the shelf. I found a nearby employee who suggested there could be some in customer's baskets, but she never offered to check "in the back." Thus, I left emptyhanded.

Funny thing, though; the Target website STILL shows it as being "available" for my store. Hmmm...
Yeah thats because the employees that are hoarding them for themselves cant pay for them till the end of their shifts.
Old 11-26-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by melih69

Target Employee 1: I am going to grab couple of them (while he is leaning towards Blu-ray isle)
Target Employee 2: Are you going to get.... (Some title I can’t remember right know)
Target Employee 1: Yeah I am going to get that one for my grandma (at this point he is on the floor reaching back of the Blu-ray shelf and grabbing 3 LOTR trilogy)
Target Employee 2: Are you going to get all 3 of them???
Target Employee 1: (laughs) Yeah! (While he is grabbing 2-3 other titles and moves toward checkout)
Wow, that's an asshole move on that Target employees part. I'd be pretty pissed.
Old 11-26-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Wow, that's an asshole move on that Target employees part. I'd be pretty pissed.
and it makes perfect sense when you factor in the employees who are quick to tell you its out of stock even when u give them the number to look up, or act like your putting them out by asking you to help them. theres a reason why the stores site says availble or limited quantity. And there system updates imeadiately after each sale, and you can see it when you check it will show right away if they have dropped to limited availbilty or sold out.
Iam just glad that i got mine earlier in the week and was able to get it price matched.

The thing is there are actually rules at quite a few retailers(or atleast there used to be) to prevent employeess from doing just what it appears what some have done. .
Old 11-26-10, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Wow, I checked the Target website to see if this LotR trilogy BD set was at any of my nearby Target stores, and the website said that one store 6 miles away had low stock, but I took a chance and drove there (needed to get something to eat anyway), gave the clerk the proper digits and he found a set in the stock room. Hooray!

Usually deals like these, where it's been such long time between it being posted and me finding out, the deal has sailed on past me. Oh lucky day.
This incredible luck you had doesn't work for all of us!! I tried this after I read your post, and the stores that showed "available" did NOT have them. It takes a good day for the system to update, so most people are getting false readings. So I barreled out to Targets across town for nothing!!!!
Old 11-26-10, 08:03 PM

I went to a store that showed "limited availability" online and an employee said that the product had been pulled from the shelf earlier in the day as his department thought it must have been a price mistake. He said he was going to check and see where they had been sequestered. He got on the phone with someone and then told me that they do not have them after all even though the website shows limited availability. I then asked for a manager who showed me a computer screen indicating there were none in the store. She said they were either immediately shipped back or had been sold because they would otherwise still show up as in stock even if they had been pulled. Incidentally the website still shows "limited availability" at this store, two hours after my visit.
Old 11-26-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you guys are failing to understand is that the computer isn't always indicative of what is actually in the store. And also getting mad at the employee's for being quick to say they don't have any, in that case what if they have already been asked that very same question earlier in their shift?? So they would then know the answer without having to check every time.

Possible reasons why the computer would say "(x) # of onhands, but they don't actually have it.

1. lost in backroom. This happens all the time.. and with this being a crazy shopping day, i'm sure things get messed even more.

2. THEFT- - If you're in a store that has all those plastic cases houses the blus.. chances are you're in a high theft store.

3. maybe someone already has it in their cart.

and Yes.. the employee that isn't going to bring them to the floor to sell them, but to buy it themselves is breaking policy. I would report the person to an manager. Could get that person fired.
Old 11-26-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiski
This incredible luck you had doesn't work for all of us!! I tried this after I read your post, and the stores that showed "available" did NOT have them. It takes a good day for the system to update, so most people are getting false readings. So I barreled out to Targets across town for nothing!!!!
You're absolutely correct. I should have also included the following in my previous post:

YMMV.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've been on the flipside, read about a deal, drove out to the stores to press my luck, and I've come up empty. It happens.
Old 11-26-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I sure hope that my online order ships.
Old 11-26-10, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this does end up shipping, I wonder if it would be better to return the individual releases I bought from Amazon at $7.99 each and pay return shipping or if I could flip them online for a better profit. What do you other guys in the same situation plan on doing?
Old 11-26-10, 09:26 PM

You might try this guys: I got a raincheck at my Target for the 7.99 trilogy. They'll tell you it won't work, but tell them to try it and it does. Now I just have to wait for them to come in again...
Old 11-26-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red5bv06
You might try this guys: I got a raincheck at my Target for the 7.99 trilogy. They'll tell you it won't work, but tell them to try it and it does. Now I just have to wait for them to come in again...
I imagine that's still going to be a pretty big YMMV, since their internal memo specifically says "no rain checks". So even if you get one, chances are they might not honor it later on, and it would seem they'd be within their right to.
Old 11-26-10, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I sure hope that my online order ships.
Same.

Has anyone had their order ship, and/or their card charged?

Also noticed this is a 6 disc edition, and the ones I've seen are 9. I assume its just the digital copies that are missing. Does the 6 disc set still have a box like the 9 disc, or is it just the movie case from the 9 disc set?

Last edited by DarthPrime; 11-26-10 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 11:15 PM

This what I get-

Shipping Status:
Not Yet Shipped
Delivery Estimate:
Dec 1, 2010 - Dec 3, 2010

If so, I don't mind waiting another week
Old 11-26-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
This what I get-

Shipping Status:
Not Yet Shipped
Delivery Estimate:
Dec 1, 2010 - Dec 3, 2010

If so, I don't mind waiting another week
My order shows the same thing.
Old 11-26-10, 11:33 PM

My order is the same too.
Old 11-26-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
My order is the same too.
My WHOLE order said that, including my Dragon Dynasty blus. However only my Dragon Dynasty blus shipped today...
Old 11-27-10, 12:17 AM

When does Target update their inventory? I just checked and the 2 of the Targets near me show "Limited Availability", others are "Out of Stock".
Old 11-27-10, 03:36 AM

This is the email I just received
We wanted to let you know that there is an unexpected delay with one or more items in
the order you placed on November 24 2010.
This may prevent us from delivering some items for December 24.
Please accept our apologies for this delay.

Please approve this delay so that we can continue processing your order.
(Note that if we haven't received your approval by December 27 2010,
we'll still try to obtain and ship the item(s) before that date.)
To do so, visit the following Order Update page in My Account:

Items Ordered Price $7.99
1 of: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (6 Discs) (Blu-ray)
estimated delivery: Jan 13, 2011 to Jan 18, 2011

still worth it
Old 11-27-10, 03:51 AM

^just updated...
Old 11-27-10, 03:51 AM

Just got the same email. Mine was ordered on November 25, 2010.
Old 11-27-10, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is this? MLK Sale? Fark!!!
Old 11-27-10, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered mine on the 24th, roughly about the same time it went live. The only updates I got on this was when the other items in my order shipped. It had a section listing what was shipped, and then:

"The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (6 Discs) (Blu-ray)
Not yet Shipped: 1 - $7.99

Estimated Shipping Date: Nov. 26-Nov. 29, 2010"
Old 11-27-10, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the same email, and I ordered mine within 15 minutes after this was first posted...
Old 11-27-10, 07:37 AM

The clerk at my store wouldn't do a raincheck--she pointed to "limited quantity" language in ad. Plus they got a restock shipment of dvds/blu-rays overnight but this title wasn't included. I'm done.
Old 11-27-10, 08:21 AM

Checked online this morning, and it showed a store near me with "Limited Availability". Went in and no place for it on the shelf at all. Went to find a employee and asked if they had any in back. He pulled out his scanner and started looking up the information (I printed the item availability from Target.com). Another employee came up to him and quickly told him that they didn't have any yesterday or today, and the sale was for the individual releases.

He asked if it was in the ad, and I said yes. He couldn't believe it was listed for $7.99. He went in the back to check. He was gone about 10 minutes and came back with one copy of the 6 disc edition. The shrink wrap was beat up pretty bad, but the case, etc... were fine. He said this was the only one they had left, and kept telling me how good a deal it was.

I went ahead and cancelled my Target.com order. Fantastic deal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.