Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale

woot, I got Charade for $13. The girl spent a few minutes looking it over and almost didn't give it to me, but I got it in the end. She looked kinda worried when I left, but...it's a valid coupon and I used a valid membership, so...whatever.

I don't think I will be getting anything else in the sale. I would really like to get The Thin Red Line but my B&N does not have it in stock and there's no way for them to get it before the sale ends. I suppose I could try ordering it online but I dunno.
Old 11-19-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Used two more $5 coupons today. Met resistance with the "less than $20" objection, but went right around it by pointing out the fine print....served 'em up with a smile.
Old 11-19-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Couldn't locate The Night of the Hunter, so I got Bigger than Life, in addition to Black Narcissus.
Old 11-19-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My last shipment made it to B&N today:

Crumb BD $13
Thin Red Line BD $13

Ordered Christmas Tale BD but it never made it...same thing last time too. Can't complain though: 13 BDs this time for $173 including Seven Samurai and Night of the Hunter for $17.50 each.
Old 11-19-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Tonight we picked up:
The Red Shoes $13.00+tax
Days of Heaven $13.00+tax

I will probably go to another store and scrounge around again tomorrow despite telling myself a few days ago that I was done. That was 5 BDs ago.
Old 11-19-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got blu-rays 5 and 6 from this sale today...

Paris, Texas $13
Thin Red Line $15

I had to order The Thin Red Line from bn.com through the store. They took the $5 coupon, but they couldn't apply the $2 member discount. Whatever, I'll live, at least express shipping was free. I've never seen either movie, but I'm expecting big things from both. I think I'm done...I spent way more than I should have.
Old 11-19-10, 11:14 PM

Picked up my last purchase, The Night of the Hunter, tonight. My total haul for the sale was:

-The Thin Red Line
-The Magician
-Charade
-Night of the Hunter
-Paths of Glory
-Seven Samurai

Not too bad, I suppose.
Old 11-19-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I'm having a feeling this is probably the last hurrah for the $5 coupons. If there is a next sale I expect they will be gone or a lot more restrictions in place.
I get that feeling too, despite having had significantly more ease using them this sale, than the one this past summer.

Just tonight, at two different locations, I was able to use both $5 off one DVD coupons + the 15% off the entire transaction on top of it. Neither of the cashiers blinked, and one even offered to do multiple transactions on the $5 coups until I showed her the 15% off one.
I ended up picking up
Modern Times
Charade
The Secret Of The Grain

and In The Realm Of The Senses
for $12 each including tax.

The last three I had no intention of getting earlier, but the changes being made online look like a sure sign the party is coming to an end. It seems inevitable at this point. Might as well max out.

This is it for me though. 14 Bds at an average of $14.40. I originally budgeted $150 for the sale, and when the BBS set didn't make the cut off date, I thought for sure I would come in well under that. Final tally was $202. Oh well.

Now to start preparing for the DDD sale next week.
Old 11-19-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I get that feeling too, despite having had significantly more ease using them this sale, than the one this past summer.

Just tonight, at two different locations, I was able to use both $5 off one DVD coupons + the 15% off the entire transaction on top of it. Neither of the cashiers blinked, and one even offered to do multiple transactions on the $5 coups until I showed her the 15% off one.
I ended up picking up
Modern Times
Charade
The Secret Of The Grain

The last three I had no intention of getting earlier, but the changes being made online look like a sure sign the party is coming to an end. It seems inevitable at this point. Might as well max out.

This is it for me though. 14 Bds at an average of $14.40. I originally budgeted $150 for the sale, and when the BBS set didn't make the cut off date, I thought for sure I would come in well under that. Final tally was $202. Oh well.

Now to start preparing for the DDD sale next week.
Don't worry as you likely won't actually pay for or receive the majority of your order until about 3 months down the road.
Old 11-20-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

I ended up picking up
Modern Times
Charade
The Secret Of The Grain

I've also had a very easy time with store coupons during this sale. In fact it is the first out of the four sales I was never questioned or hassled about the $5 coupons not qualifying. The previous three sales on almost every purchase I had to get into a discussion over the fine print to eventually have a store employee honor them. I feel very fortunate of never getting turned down using them throughout all the sales since it was almost a constant battle with store employees.

However I think the writing is on the wall it could all be ending soon. The crack down and restrictions with the online coupons and discounts continues. I'm almost to the point of not wanting to order online at B&N.com anymore. They have actually made it more preferable to go to a store to place online orders to get around most of the restrictions they put in place.

But there are signs B&N is starting to turn their focus on stores now. There have been multiple posts during this sale about B&N corporate getting on stores about the coupons being misused. Also I noticed on a recent coupon search they are starting to prevent viewing a coupon unless you click a specific link sent to your email address. I expect in the near future it is going to be very difficult to find coupons anymore unless it was sent to your email address. It would not surprise me if it is a sign of more things to soon follow. They like to start gradually by slowly adding more barriers one step at a time.
Old 11-20-10, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, good thing I joined the party this time I guess. Have gotten over 20 BDs and only missed out on Modern Times, TTRL and any preorders.
Old 11-20-10, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are pictures of the packaging for "Videodrome" out there, and it does not disappoint. It's pretty much just like the DVD art. Video cassette art on the plastic case, which is tucked inside a slipbox with the outer art. Bravo, Criterion, although I know some people will be pissed that they have to deal with a slipbox to get the complete package. At least the case itself is plastic!
Old 11-20-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The America Lost & Found The BBS Story is back up to $99.99. Good for those that got in at the lower price.
It is back down to $75.99 before discounts. Go go go!!!

EDIT:

Ok, wow, what a bait and switch. I had the BD version in my wish list, noticed the price, put it in my cart to buy and BAM, it automaticly switched over to the DVD version at that price. That is not cool at all.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited by Brent L; 11-20-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-20-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
It is back down to $75.99 before discounts. Go go go!!!
That's the DVD version. BD is $99.99.
Old 11-20-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FINALLY got TTRL in the "greater" Los Angeles area. They had a few copies pop up at some outlying stores a couple days ago and I was able to track one down to the 605/Carson store in Long Beach.
Old 11-20-10, 01:13 PM

Alright I'm done. Returned The Darjeeling Limited, then caved in and used two separate $5 off coupons for Modern Times and M on Blu-Ray. My final haul is:

Bottle Rocket - $13 + tax
Paths of Glory - $13 + tax
Modern Times - $13 + tax
M - $13 + tax
The Thin Red Line - ship-to-home for $15 + tax

I only intended to get two Blu-Rays. Damn this sale. But hey, I'm pretty frugal and never really "splurge" like this.
Old 11-20-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hope you enjoy them, georgec. I will have to say that when you say splurge on 5 titles, I don't even know what to say on all that I've purchased.
Old 11-20-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Used a 15% off coupon today on my final purchase:

Von Sternberg - $35.19
Modern Times - $17.84
Terminal Station - $16.26

Neither the Von Sternberg set or Modern Times were in-stock, so I didn't get the member 10% off in addition to the 15% discount, but both were still cheaper then if I had bought them online as opposed to having a clerk order them for me in-store.
Old 11-20-10, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Hope you enjoy them, georgec. I will have to say that when you say splurge on 5 titles, I don't even know what to say on all that I've purchased.
Hahah yea I know I'm small potatoes to you guys, but being a grad student I don't have much flex in the budget! Down the road I'll hopefully be able to really dig into some of these sales.

I'm just so impressed with what Criterion has done with all these titles. I wasn't considering Modern Times, even though it's one of my favorite Chaplin movies, but a glance at the special features won my heart.
Old 11-20-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get it, a year or 2 ago, I never would have been able to purchase all that I have. Maybe not even 5. I was pretty broke then.
Old 11-20-10, 05:01 PM

OK, I thought I was done... I had 8 Blus left to complete all of the released titles so far including TTRL. Woke up today, found that one of my six "local" BNs had TTRL in stock. Reserved it online. Found out about the 15% off coupon as well... So I hit 2 stores today and used a $5 off and 15% off to pick up 2 titles at each store.

Seriously thinking about hitting 2 more stores tomorrow to pick up my last 4 remaining titles. I think that will put me at 25 Blus and 1 DVD title this time around. Still need to pick up...

Close-up
Monsoon Wedding
Marienbad
Hunger
Old 11-20-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YES!!!!!!!! Finally got TTRL. Had ordered it for instore pickup 4 times earlier during the sale, but each time I got a notice saying oos. So, I wasn't too optimistic. They also finally got Modern Times and NOTH, but when I saw the same lady that had done 6 separate transactions with the $5 off coupon I was afraid I would be denied all my coupons. However, instead she asked me if I wanted to do it all in one transaction. So, she used 4 $5 off coupons and 15% off coupon for $50 out the door! So, all set with this sale with 1 day to spare
I'll get Cronos and BBS set during the next sale even without coupons.
Old 11-20-10, 09:05 PM

Final tally. All are Blu-Ray except the last 2. No store nearby so all were ordered online using 10% off CAA discount and shipped to my US PO Box.

Antichrist
Paths of Glory
The Magician
The Darjeeling Limited
The Red Shoes
Breathless
Crumb
Vivre Sa Vie
Red Desert
Chungking Express*
Stagecoach
Charade
The Leopard
Black Narcissus
The Night of the Hunter
The Thin Red Line
Modern Times
Gomorrah
Secret Of The Grain
Summer Hours
Lola Montès
Days of Heaven
Everlasting Moments
Seven Samurai

The Fugitive Kind
That Hamilton Woman

*I figured it was time to get Chunking Express. Last year I ordered a bunch of replacement cases and thought I already owned this. I didn't, so I've had an empty case lying around for awhile.
Old 11-20-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is the 15% off coupon expired? it keeps saying it won't accept it.
Old 11-20-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mifuneral
is the 15% off coupon expired? it keeps saying it won't accept it.
Are you trying to use that coupon on Criterions? B&N.com stopped allowing coupons on Criterions some time ago. Look closely on the product page and you'll see this: This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.