Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Media Prices (September 5 - 11, 2010)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Media Prices (September 5 - 11, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Re: Best Buy Media Prices (September 5 - 11, 2010)

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
You've been misinformed. I saw the DVD Talk review called it the "3rd funniest movie of the year" (doesn't say what #1 or #2 were)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and (although it took me a second viewing to really appreciate it) Hot Tub Time Machine took my top two spots. There's no denying that MacGruber is stupid, but to my mind, it's gloriously, hysterically stupid. It's definitely not perfect, and I think it gets caught up in the dimwitted flavor of raunch just to justify its R rating, but I still laughed longer and harder than almost anything else I've watched this year.
Old 09-04-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

MacGruber for the win! It's worth the 27 bucks just for the stereo bits.
Old 09-05-10, 07:12 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MacGruber is VERY hit or miss. I thought Kristen Wiig was funny in it, and Val Kilmer did have a couple good scenes but on the whole, I didn't laugh much. Thing is, a buddy of mine saw it and we have similar comedy tastes and he loved it, so it's a movie where your mileage may DEFINITELY vary.
Old 09-05-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time someone buys MacGruber on Blu, an online community closes it's adult services listings.
Old 09-05-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and (although it took me a second viewing to really appreciate it) Hot Tub Time Machine took my top two spots. There's no denying that MacGruber is stupid, but to my mind, it's gloriously, hysterically stupid. It's definitely not perfect, and I think it gets caught up in the dimwitted flavor of raunch just to justify its R rating, but I still laughed longer and harder than almost anything else I've watched this year.
I just skimmed through your reviews to see what other comedies you've reviewed and for the most part I'm on the same page as you (Mr. Show, UCB), so I'm hoping it stays the same with MacGruber. The one review that I was hoping to see from you was Hot Rod. Not a popular choice, but I loved that movie. Since some of the same people are involved with both films, I'm thinking it may be something I'll really dig as well.

The only two reviews that I noticed where we didn't jive was Anchorman (loved it) and Zombieland (didn't think it was much of a comedy). Here's to hoping MacGruber is more Hot Rod, than Zombieland.
Old 09-05-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kory
Damnit! Two bonus discs for "The Office" Season 6. Ugh. Going to have to figure out a way to get my hands on both. Any idea what Best Buy's bonus disc has on it, and if it's going to be a DVD only like their recent exclusives, or available as both a Blu-ray and a DVD?
I wish I knew the content difference as well..........but, I have no interest in a t-shirt (Best Buy), so Target's lower price ($37.99) may be my decision point.

I was able to go in and grab the Beauty Beast Iron book today - probably about 5 left on the shelf. They look great and more than likely I will just go back after release day and get my deposit back as I have on all their other similar deals (you have no obligation to actually buy the movie from them, the ironbook is "Free for pre-ordering").
Old 09-05-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well i picked up mycopy of beauty and the beast Iron pack right at open this morning at the west hollywood bestbuy, I made a point of making sure i was there atleast 30 mins before open(like last week with the bluray exclusives) so that i would definately be the first one in the store, and sure enough 15 mins before open one of the recognizeable scalpers and ebayers and his ghetofabulous girlfriend were there in full force. (seen him and his girlfriend around the local retailers enough to recognize them and over here them braging how they turn around and sell them for a high profit... anyway)when the doors open i walked right to where the endcap was set up, and started going through the 10 or so on display , i find my copy that looks good and go to walk away, by this point there were probably like 6 people behind me in the store at the endcap as i walk away i see that the guy that was behind me grabbed up pretty much every single remaining copy, the other people who were there started complaing and the guy and his girlfriend ran up to the registers, (actually ran past me) and put them down.
The cashier was ringing him up when the manager walked over and said he and the girl could only buy up 1 each since there was limited stock and other customers were complaining. Of course he and his loud mouth gheto girl protests being told only 1, the manager doesnt budge on the 1 limit,saying something about the store has a right to set a limit on the number sold per person, and the guy walks off mad shouting something with the girl following behind.

The manager then took them to customer service counter where some of the others who had complained were waiting, I am pretty sure that the remaining ones were distributed up at the guest services.

I walked up to the cashier and said Dont worry "I only need one and only have one"

Glad I got my one, and i am glad that the other people there were able to get one each as well and the 2 goofballs got none. Iam sure they sped off to one of the other nearby bestbuys though.

When I got home I saw there was one little scratch on the lower corner of the case not really noticeable, and it will probably be the first place i have a cast member sign when I go to the Bluray and Dvd premiere on the 23rd of this month at the El Capitan.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-05-10 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still can't wrap my head around why people care so much about steelbooks.
Old 09-05-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Spoiler:
Well i picked up mycopy of beauty and the beast Iron pack right at open this morning at the west hollywood bestbuy, I made a point of making sure i was there atleast 30 mins before open(like last week with the bluray exclusives) so that i would definately be the first one in the store, and sure enough 15 mins before open one of the recognizeable scalpers and ebayers and his ghetofabulous girlfriend were there in full force. (seen him and his girlfriend around the local retailers enough to recognize them and over here them braging how they turn around and sell them for a high profit... anyway)when the doors open i walked right to where the endcap was set up, and started going through the 10 or so on display , i find my copy that looks good and go to walk away, by this point there were probably like 6 people behind me in the store at the endcap as i walk away i see that the guy that was behind me grabbed up pretty much every single remaining copy, the other people who were there started complaing and the guy and his girlfriend ran up to the registers, (actually ran past me) and put them down.
The cashier was ringing him up when the manager walked over and said he and the girl could only buy up 1 each since there was limited stock and other customers were complaining. Of course he and his loud mouth gheto girl protests being told only 1, the manager doesnt budge on the 1 limit,saying something about the store has a right to set a limit on the number sold per person, and the guy walks off mad shouting something with the girl following behind.

The manager then took them to customer service counter where some of the others who had complained were waiting, I am pretty sure that the remaining ones were distributed up at the guest services.

I walked up to the cashier and said Dont worry "I only need one and only have one"

Glad I got my one, and i am glad that the other people there were able to get one each as well and the 2 goofballs got none. Iam sure they sped off to one of the other nearby bestbuys though.

When I got home I saw there was one little scratch on the lower corner of the case not really noticeable, and it will probably be the first place i have a cast member sign when I go to the Bluray and Dvd premiere on the 23rd of this month at the El Capitan.

Care to fill us in on what you were buying?
Old 09-05-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
[/spoiler]
Care to fill us in on what you were buying?
Ha Ha lol sorry about that i realized that after i posted, it was the beauty and the beast iron pack pre order.

I had copy and pasted my response that i put on another forum that was specificly talking about the beauty and the beast iron pack, cause i didnt want to retype it all out. fixed it now.
Old 09-05-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
They look very nice.
I dont go out of my way to import them but when there are these us exclusive i do like to get them for my collection.
Old 09-05-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, people were going that crazy over Beauty and the Beast. I thought it was a PlayStation 4 or something.
Old 09-05-10, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Damn, people were going that crazy over Beauty and the Beast. I thought it was a PlayStation 4 or something.
Don't forget that it's an empty case too. I could understand if the movie itself came out early in that packaging, but it didn't.
Old 09-05-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe some copies have a golden ticket.
Old 09-05-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget that it's an empty case too. I could understand if the movie itself came out early in that packaging, but it didn't.
Its because the stupid ebayers, and Hoarders who go out to buy everysingle copy they can to flip for a high profit.
Unfortunately those people make it so that some one who just wants to legitmately pre order one copy and have it for themself have to be at the store first thing in the morning.

(and even getting there first thing on street date is not a guarentee since some bestbuys put them out on the shelf early)

if you didnt have to deal with price gouging ebayers, then people would probably not feel the need to get there early to pick them up/
Old 09-06-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Neither can I. I've never gone out of my way for a steelbook nor for a bonus disc. For me the price drives everything and I believe Best Buy isn't going to be the best deal for Beauty and the Beast. I probably have 2 or 3 steelbooks from years past when Best Buy had better deals. Now that I've heard people hoard up the steelbooks to flip them on eBay when the store opens is all the more reason for me not to try to get them. I don't have time to go to stores before they open and wait in line and fight against resellers. My only exception to that is Black Friday. I'm still proud I've never bought anything from eBay, though someday I may be forced to.

I think there are too many more important things to worry about in life than steelbooks or bonus discs. They don't influence my buying any more unless the price is equal among the stores, but then I hardly ever buy new releases as I'm a cheapskate.
Old 09-06-10, 02:26 PM

The BATB "ironpack" is such higher quality than the steelbooks they were offering on the other titles! It has a nice finish to it and the inside is better decorated. It just seems like a higher quality case alltogether. Is Ironpack a different company?
Old 09-06-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, its the single most annoying thing here. Lets not care about the actual film, but just collect and buy something because of the piece of plastic or tin it is in. It makes absolutely no sense. People come over to enjoy and whatch movies with me, not to look at the piece of plastic or tin that collects dust on a shelf. I just don't get the idea of paying more money for something you can't share with others. And there are people here that just buy films for the steelbooks, nothing else.
Old 09-06-10, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Yup, its the single most annoying thing here. Lets not care about the actual film, but just collect and buy something because of the piece of plastic or tin it is in. It makes absolutely no sense. People come over to enjoy and whatch movies with me, not to look at the piece of plastic or tin that collects dust on a shelf. I just don't get the idea of paying more money for something you can't share with others. And there are people here that just buy films for the steelbooks, nothing else.
My first SteelBook was the Iron Man BD, but then I got the James Bond BD's and realized I hated those movies. Someone gave me a pretty penny for those and a nice chunk for Iron Man. I haven't cared since then, too expensive and the movie is all that really matters.
Old 09-06-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

WTF....weren't there Snow White SteelBooks laying around Best Buy looong after the release of the movie?
Old 09-06-10, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
WTF....weren't there Snow White SteelBooks laying around Best Buy looong after the release of the movie?
I've seen all the Disney steelbooks at various Best Buys.
Old 09-06-10, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Neither can I. I've never gone out of my way for a steelbook nor for a bonus disc. For me the price drives everything and I believe Best Buy isn't going to be the best deal for Beauty and the Beast. I probably have 2 or 3 steelbooks from years past when Best Buy had better deals. Now that I've heard people hoard up the steelbooks to flip them on eBay when the store opens is all the more reason for me not to try to get them. I don't have time to go to stores before they open and wait in line and fight against resellers. My only exception to that is Black Friday. I'm still proud I've never bought anything from eBay, though someday I may be forced to.

I think there are too many more important things to worry about in life than steelbooks or bonus discs. They don't influence my buying any more unless the price is equal among the stores, but then I hardly ever buy new releases as I'm a cheapskate.
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I completely agree. I just can't grasp why people give a shit about packaging so much that they buy multiple copies of the same shitty movie over and over again and pay ridiculous prices to import them. I could see if the Steelbooks were the exact same price as a regular edition and available at the same time, but most of them aren't.

On top of that, it seems like more people care about Blu-ray packaging at times more than the actual film. The last few pages of the Criterion thread have all been about digipacks. I just don't see how it matters. As I stated in that thread, as long as the packaging doesn't fall apart or damage the disc, I don't care. I think someone even passed on buying The Leopard due to its packaging. There is a fine line between wanting a nice looking collection and OCD.

Full Disclosure: I did buy the Snow White thing and it was the biggest waste of money. I don't know why I bought it because it's sitting in a drawer somewhere since I kept the film in the case it came in.

As for Bonus Discs, I don't think that's as bad. If you really love a film and a certain store has exclusive features for that film, I see no problem in getting it there.

Anyway, I think all the forums I look at are pretty much filled with the same people, so this packaging obsession might not be as pervasive as it appears.
Old 09-07-10, 05:16 AM

These steelbooks are free with a preorder at Best Buy. I'd rather get one than get nothing.

I don't usually go out of my way for steelbooks; but if they're the same price, I'd rather get one than not get one. They look nice, plain and simple. If you don't like them, you don't have to buy them.
Old 09-07-10, 06:34 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Except chances are that Best Buy won't be the place with the best deal, so you are still kind of paying more.
Old 09-07-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
These steelbooks are free with a preorder at Best Buy. I'd rather get one than get nothing. I don't usually go out of my way for steelbooks; but if they're the same price, I'd rather get one than not get one. They look nice, plain and simple. If you don't like them, you don't have to buy them.
Right. I think everyone who posted has said if all other things (i.e. price) are equal, then why not get the steelbook. However, if you live near TRU, then all other things are NOT equal because you could get a much better deal through chaining TRU preorders.

Originally Posted by joltman
Except chances are that Best Buy won't be the place with the best deal, so you are still kind of paying more.
If you don't plan to do the TRU preorder thing (I don't solely because TRU is too far for me to drive to multiple times... at least $5 in gas round trip for me plus 30 minutes wasted driving), then might as well get it from Best Buy with the steelbook as they'll probably be close to Target's price. Whether they'd pricematch Target who doesn't have a steelbook is YMMV, and if you're trying to apply a $10 off Disney mfg. coupon you've got another potential hassle. I remember getting the Snow White steelbook because at the time it was free and Best Buy had the same price as everyone else. My Snow White steelbook is still in a drawer somewhere because I prefer the normal size Blu-Ray case. Maybe someday I'll see what it's worth on eBay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.