Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Does "Star Trek: TOS" ever go on sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Does "Star Trek: TOS" ever go on sale?

Amazon has them for around $65 a piece, while all B&M stores want around $100.

As anyone seen them on sale for less than $60? I'd love to pick them up, but $195 is a bit steep for three seasons of a show, even though the releases are loaded.

Come to think of it, Paramount has always gouged on price when it come to Trek TV releases; I think TNG DVDs are still $40-$50 each.
Old 08-19-10, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Does "Star Trek: TOS" ever go on sale?

Several months ago, Beast Buy had them for $40 each and there was a 5% Bing Cash Back for a couple bucks off that. (Almost covered my sales tax.) Even though I try not to pay more than $20-$25 per season for shows on BD, I pounced on this deal. Yeah, Trek sets have always been a gank; they make HBOs old pricing look like bargains.
Old 08-19-10, 07:36 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

According to camel, the first season was $53.99 for most of the month of July. I'm too lazy to look up the rest, but I know all of the seasons have been around that price off and on since their release.
Old 08-19-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Besides the obvious $40 deal for each season BD at Best Buy which lasted about a month, I know I've seen some prices in that ballpark at Amazon or Buy.com when checking dvdpricesearch's front page (which is usually but not always accurate). Given that $40-$50-ish prices seem to be common, unless you're desperate and have to have them now, I'd suggest keeping your eye on Amazon, Buy.com, and Best Buy for another $40-$45 price which I'd expect will happen before the year's over.

I got mine at Best Buy as it was one of those rare times when they have a good deal on something (but watch these be under $30 on Black Friday somewhere since I already have them).
Old 08-19-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As a quick addendum... Walmart.com may have been 1 of the other sites I've seen these cheap at via dvdpricesearch. Right now they have S3 BD for about $40, S2 for around $50, and S1 for around $55. Still expensive but certainly better than $65 for those who don't want to wait for another deal.
Old 08-19-10, 01:25 PM

A couple months ago, some website had the complete series for $5... then orders got cancelled....
Old 08-19-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wal Mart had season 3 for $38.00 not that long ago and also season two was low. I was tempted but never got around to it...seemed like other expenses came up and I just never got to get it. There's no way I can afford them this month or the next, unfortunately, even if they were cheap. But it's good to see they go down in price from time to time. It lets me know it's worth waiting for a good price drop when I can get around to buying them.
Old 08-19-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

My local Best Buy only had the first season when they had the sale. Was able to get in on the $38 walmart deal for season 3 that was mentioned. But I still am missing season 2. waiting for a deal on season 2.
Old 08-19-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wait it out. The dvds were expensive for a long time too but after awhile you could find them for $30 each.
Old 08-20-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Just wait it out. The dvds were expensive for a long time too but after awhile you could find them for $30 each.
+1 I mean after all they are 30+ years old. What's waiting another year or so for a price drop?
Old 08-20-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Oh, I'm waiting. I check a couple places periodically. Not really any rush to get it.