Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon.com Discounts and Deals on Blu-ray Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon.com Discounts and Deals on Blu-ray Part II

Originally Posted by beebs
Yes, these two deals stack. Add in Psycho to match up with Carlito's Way and get another $5 off.
Nice. I picked up Carlito's Way, The Last Starfighter, 8 Mile, and Psycho for $36.96
Old 10-27-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Texan26
Save up to $50 on select titles: promotion Picked up seven titles for $33.93.
great find. Thanks.

I wish they had more of a selection. The ones I really want , I have already.
Old 10-27-10, 08:29 AM
Banned

What the hell? They couldn't even include all the Fast & Furious movies? Sucks I missed it last year when they had the first 3. There are plenty of other Universal titles that should be on that list too. A disappointing start.
Old 10-27-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I was thinking about jumping in on this one, but Pitch Black went from $14.99 to $18.99 when I placed it in my cart.
Old 10-27-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks!
U-571, Eastern Promises, Do the Right Thing, Last Starfighter, Away We Go, 8 Mile, The Express
Total for this Order: $34.93
Old 10-27-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The fact that you can add Carlito's Way and get an extra $5 off another title from the list made this slightly better. My problem with Carlito's Way is I already have the (unopened) Ultimate Edition, and though I liked the movie, it's not something I like paying $9.99 for (after $5 discount). I liked Psycho more, but paying $14.99 (after $5 discount) again is too much for me.

I thought U-571 (which has great picture/sound quality reviews but is missing some extras and is single layer (those cheapskates!)) + The Last Starfighter (also single layer but apparently is a poor video transfer) + Carlito's Way (which dropped a few minor extras from the UE) + another title from the buy 2 get $5 off list.

Psycho is an interesting one on that list but too expensive for me at $14.99 (after $5 off). Dune is on that list for $9.99 (after $5 off). Dune + the other 3 movies would be $31.96 or $8 each on average, no tax... just a couple dollars more than my SD to BD upgrade price limit. Of course I don't have The Last Starfighter at all so my price point can go higher on it, BUT if the BD presentation of it is so bad (not much better than the Anniversary Edition DVD) I don't know...

Can any owners of The Last Starfighter on BD comment if the picture quality is really as bad as most reviews say? A few reviews don't ding the picture quality much, but most do.

Maybe I can trade in my unopened Carlito's Way UE DVD for $5-$10 after Christmas? If I'm just missing a trailer, photo gallery, and a 5 minute featurette, it doesn't sound like I'd need it with the BD.
Old 10-27-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Psycho is an interesting one on that list but too expensive for me at $14.99 (after $5 off).
They raised the price of Psycho; it was 17.99 last night or 12.99 after the promotion.

Another option is to get the Back to the Future box set along with Carlito's Way and 2 more from the second promotion. With the $5 promotion that drops BTTF to $43.
Old 10-27-10, 10:26 AM

Too bad about raising the price on Psycho... but even at $12.99 (after the $5 discount) it would be borderline for me... $9.99 after discount would've been a yes. Someone else mentioned Pitch Black going up in price, but I saved a screenshot of the prices last night at 9 PM and it was $18.99 then. So, if Pitch Black was $14.99 (before discount), that was before 9 PM yesterday.

Once you get to 3 or 5 titles, then adding another 2 is tempting because those extra titles cost less due to a bigger discount. The problem is that too many of them would be blind buys for me. I'm fiddling around with titles, but I'm going to be late for work and I'm out of time. If we could trust Amazon not to jack up the prices on these, we'd have until November 22, but we know we can't trust Amazon not to screw with prices. Also bizarre is that on the order page The Last Starfighter insists on shipping separately and immediately even if you choose the fewer shipments option. I guess they really want to make sure you get that one... must have too many in stock.

Someone previously mentioned seven titles for $33.93, but that's probably only if you pick the cheapest ones. Problem is I just don't think I'd like 8 Mile, Do the Right Thing, or Bruno.
Old 10-27-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

All the rest of the ones I was considering went up:

Please note that the price of U-571 [Blu-ray] has increased from $10.99 to $13.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Please note that the price of Do the Right Thing [Blu-ray] has increased from $10.99 to $13.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Please note that the price of Psycho (50th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray] has decreased from $19.99 to $17.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Please note that the price of Carlito's Way [Blu-ray] has increased from $14.99 to $18.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Please note that the price of Love Actually [Blu-ray] has increased from $14.99 to $18.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.
Old 10-27-10, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
All the rest of the ones I was considering went up:
Same here, had a bunch in my cart and wow, many of them jumped up in price. Eastern Promises is now $18.99! Gotta act quick next time. I'll wait for the next "sale".
Old 10-27-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The current Lighting Deal is Masters of Horror: Complete First Season (Vols. 1-4) BD for $33.
Old 10-27-10, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuckin A...thankfully I bit immediately.
Old 10-27-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Psycho (50th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray] back down to $17.99
Old 10-27-10, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well this is a surprise (somewhat)...never seen it..but...that production design from what I've seen looks damn gorgeous. I hear the film is a bit weak though...I MIGHT get it at this price..

The Wolfman (2010)- $12.99
Old 10-27-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well this is a surprise (somewhat)...never seen it..but...that production design from what I've seen looks damn gorgeous. I hear the film is a bit weak though...I MIGHT get it at this price..

The Wolfman (2010)- $12.99
They are matching Best Buy's price this week. I only watched the DC version but I thought it was entertaining.
Old 10-27-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

either I'm doing something wrong or there is almost no selection.. only 24 titles. Only a few interest me.. but i've seen em as much as half the price.. so no order here.
Old 10-27-10, 08:11 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Escape from New York (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging) $11.49 not sure if it was mentioned...
Old 10-27-10, 10:48 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bse

for those of you without a region-free player, that is the link to the region 2 version. here is the region 1 version for $12.99.
Old 10-27-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwstl
The current Lighting Deal is Masters of Horror: Complete First Season (Vols. 1-4) BD for $33.
I had to sit out on that one...expenses get a bit thin this time of the month with insurance coming out of my account and rent due this weekend. Bummer...

I hope they do a Dexter type of thing here where they mark these down for the lightning deal price later on just as a regular sale. Probably not seeing Halloween is almost here and gone but there's always hope.
Old 10-27-10, 11:33 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Amazon is selling Alien Anthology for $89.99, but scroll down and check out the Best Value deal:

Buy The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut [Blu-ray] and get Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] at an additional $20.00 off Amazon.com's everyday low price.

Buy Together Today: $86.98
Not too bad.
Old 10-27-10, 11:35 PM

I knew Amazon would jack up prices on a lot of those titles soon, but I didn't think they'd do it quite so fast. Fortunately I placed my order early this morning even though I was running short on time precisely because I know it could happen at any moment. Unfortunately there were a few blind buys and double dips (i.e. DVD to BD upgrades) in my order which I don't like when the price per BD is around $7, but I'm thinking I probably have some of these in my unwatched HW Video 50 cent DVD stack and if I don't like any of them, hopefully I can get some credit for the unopened BDs somewhere after Christmas.

2 shipped already and the rest show dates out a couple weeks. I guess putting ship in fewer shipments doesn't matter.

Well, once again Amazon is like predictable clockwork raising prices when too many people seem interested in a deal. Not all titles went up in price... the ones that didn't are the ones that got the fewest orders for (i.e. the least popular).
Old 10-27-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Amazon is selling Alien Anthology for $89.99, but scroll down and check out the Best Value deal:

Not too bad.
Assholes. I bought both recently.
Old 10-28-10, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
If you haven't opened them, you could always reorder with the sale and return the previous ones and just lose the return shipping cost. I've never actually returned any movies to Amazon, but I have returned defective merchandise. Once Amazon gets into the holiday return period where you have until January to return stuff, it'll be safer to buy stuff.

I agree that Amazon, like Newegg, is very much the land of "price remorse" for me. It seems any time I jump on something, they often drop the price even more. That causes me to be very careful and more of a cheapskate when dealing with them. I just know they're waiting to give me buyer's remorse as if to say "ha ha... gotcha again". :-) In fact, whenever I order anything from either place, they should play Nelson Munds saying "ha ha" on my speakers.
Old 10-28-10, 12:46 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Even though Amazon ended their price match policy, it doesn't hurt to ask. I've emailed them a few times. Sometimes I get a refund and sometimes I don't.
Old 10-28-10, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Jumped on Alien and LOTM. I also had an AMZ reward cert, so that made it easier. (was gonna use it on the weezer releases next wk, but I can wait on those) Pumped I should be able to watch Alien on Halloween, perfect!

Thanks for posting the deal, don't know if I would've seen it otherwise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.