Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

AMELIE (new Canadian SE) - $17.99 @ Amazon.ca; 20.99 @ Future Shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts
AMELIE (new Canadian SE) - $17.99 @ Amazon.ca; 20.99 @ Future Shop

I posted about this over in the HD thread, but thought it might be appropriate here as well. Granted, those aren't spectacular prices, but for those whose only prior option was the higher-priced (and less-supplemented) Australian release, which apparently had extra features that were inaccessible on some players, this new Canadian edition might be a good option. Not sure what Amazon.ca charges to ship to the U.S. (for those so inclined), but they currently seem to have the best price at $17.99 CDN.

As mentioned in the other thread, this was just released up here on Tuesday. I purchased one tonight, but won't be able to view it for quite some time, so can't comment on audio and picture quality.

Amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003H9LIUC/).

Future Shop:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...fb4ebd597den02 Amazon.ca

From the back of the case:

Video: 1080p High Definition 16x9 2.35:1 / 2 h 02 min
Audio: Francais: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English

Extras are ported over from the 2-disc Alliance DVD from many moons ago (which I believe was identical to the Miramax version in the U.S.)

Again, from the package:

- Audio Commentaries with Jean Pierre Jeunet (English and French)
- The Look of Amelie
- Fantasies of Audrey Tautou
- Screen Tests
- Q&A with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- Q&A with Director and Cast
- Storyboard Comparison
- An Intimate Chat with Jean-Pierre Jeunet
- "Home Movies" Inside the Making Of Amelie
- Trailer and TV Spots

The DVD version also included "The Amelie Scrapbook" and "Cast & Crew Filmographies", neither of which are listed on the back of the new blu-ray, though this doesn't mean they've actually been excluded (and even if they were, I'm not sure I'd miss them). I'm sure that will be confirmed soon enough.

Considering Alliance's reputation for exclusive but bare-bones blu-rays up here (like the BLADE movies), it was a rather pleasant surprise to see this one retain most (and maybe all) of the special features from the DVD. Fingers crossed on the A/V stuff . . .
Old 07-24-10, 12:29 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: AMELIE (new Canadian SE) - $17.99 @ Amazon.ca; 20.99 @ Future Shop

Originally Posted by Brian T
Not sure what Amazon.ca charges to ship to the U.S. (for those so inclined), but they currently seem to have the best price at $17.99 CDN.
Unfortunately, Amazon.ca charges a huge shipping fee to the USA:

$7.99 per shipment
$1.99 per item

Total Price = CDN$ 27.97
Old 07-24-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Unfortunately, Amazon.ca charges a huge shipping fee to the USA:

$7.99 per shipment
$1.99 per item

Total Price = CDN$ 27.97
Yeah, I had a feeling that might be prohibitive. The only positive, I suppose, is that it puts it one the (slightly) low price side of the Australian disc (CDN $25-something + shipping at Chaos; AUD$29.97 + shipping at EzyDVD.com), only with considerably more special features. It goes without saying that it's miles ahead of the previous Canadian blu-ray, which was only produced for the French speaking market, and thus without English subtitles. I'm sure a U.S. version will show up soon enough (hopefully along with a few other Miramax and New Line titles released up here by Alliance in inferior editions)

Last edited by Brian T; 07-24-10 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-24-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Not continuing to be a wet blanket but with shipping, this is only $23.94 US from Axel Music to the US.

Link

It has been confirmed to be missing "The Amelie Scrapbook" and Cast & Crew Filmographies. The latter extra would have been seriously outdated if it were ported from the 2001 DVD set. It also has burned-in English subtitles rather than optional English subtitles.

Last edited by emachine12; 07-24-10 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-24-10, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this movie, and am in Canada but I'm going to hold off and see what the US gets. I learned my lesson with Sin City.
Old 07-24-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe this isn't available as a U.S. release yet. Pathetic.
Old 07-25-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I can't believe this isn't available as a U.S. release yet. Pathetic.
The problem is that in the USA Amélie was a Miramax release and is controlled by Disney. Disney has been very slow to release non-animated titles in general, and Miramax catalog titles in particular, on Blu-ray Disc.

I'm happy with my Australian BD even if I can't watch the extras, but if this Canadian release has the proper subtitles (and you don't speak French and want them off) I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a good price. It may be awhile before Disney releases it here.
Old 07-25-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: AMELIE (new Canadian SE) - $14.99 @ HMV stores

Lowest price yet: $14.99 at HMV. Seems to be in-store only, though -- their website says $20.99 -- and I can only confirm one store that I visited today, and that's the flagship location in downtown Toronto, where they had tons of them. I'd imagine it's the same at all locations. Time to return the previous one to Future Shop -- had a feeling it would be smart not to open it. Price sticker on the HMV discs aren't "sale" stickers, so that's probably going to be their regular price. And because it's an Alliance release, I give it about two months before it joins their ongoing 2/$20 Blu-ray sale.
Old 07-25-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
The problem is that in the USA Amélie was a Miramax release and is controlled by Disney. Disney has been very slow to release non-animated titles in general, and Miramax catalog titles in particular, on Blu-ray Disc.

I'm happy with my Australian BD even if I can't watch the extras, but if this Canadian release has the proper subtitles (and you don't speak French and want them off) I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a good price. It may be awhile before Disney releases it here.
Except for crap like Old Dogs and likely the Sorcerer's Apprentice once it blows through the theaters.
Old 07-26-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Except for crap like Old Dogs and likely the Sorcerer's Apprentice once it blows through the theaters.
I don't know why Disney has decided to discontinue live action movies in favor of animation (except for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise?). They used to be pretty good at producing live action movies, especially in the family genre. But I would guess that they have decided that animated movies are more consistently profitable and less risky.

That is certainly true of releasing catalog titles on BD as well. How many copies of Snow White do you think Disney sold? How many copies of Amélie do you think they could sell? Surely sales of the latter would be a tiny fraction of sales of the former. I can see why they aren't releasing Miramax catalog titles. But I still find it disappointing because another top ten favorite of mine—which I won't name—is a Miramax title owned by Disney.
Old 07-28-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Amazon.ca says this is out of stock. How soon does it take to get movies when they are out?
Old 07-29-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know why Disney has decided to discontinue live action movies in favor of animation (except for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise?). They used to be pretty good at producing live action movies, especially in the family genre. But I would guess that they have decided that animated movies are more consistently profitable and less risky.

That is certainly true of releasing catalog titles on BD as well. How many copies of Snow White do you think Disney sold? How many copies of Amélie do you think they could sell? Surely sales of the latter would be a tiny fraction of sales of the former. I can see why they aren't releasing Miramax catalog titles. But I still find it disappointing because another top ten favorite of mine—which I won't name—is a Miramax title owned by Disney.
Reindeer Games?
Old 07-29-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI:

Disney has suspended releasing Miramax/Dimension titles, Amelie is a Miramax title.

Disney has released When In Rome and The Last Song is coming soon, both of which are Touchstone Pictures titles.

Last edited by emachine12; 07-29-10 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Amazon.ca says this is out of stock. How soon does it take to get movies when they are out?
I can't imagine it would take very long. The title is plentiful in most stores up here, so I doubt there's a limited supply. Alliance has a habit of flooding the market, which is ultimately why prices for most of their Blu-rays tend to drop fairly quickly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally Posted by emachine12
Disney has suspended releasing Miramax/Dimension titles, Amelie is a Miramax title.
I've read recently that the 611-film Miramax library is the subject of negotiations to be sold by Disney to new owners, who reportedly see the price as a "bargain":

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4161975.story

Who knows how this could affect future DVD releases. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath. The Canadian DVD of AMELIE may be the safest bet for quite some time.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-29-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-07-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really want to order this, but I want confirmation from someone that it does include these bonus features. I know the box list's them, but has anyone checked out the disc yet?
Old 08-07-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to assume that since you didn't answer my question the first time that it is Reindeer Games.
Old 08-08-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disney has released When In Rome and The Last Song is coming soon, both of which are Touchstone Pictures titles.
The last Miramax or Dimension title Disney released onto Blu-ray was the re-release of Gangs of New York. Prior to that? The special editions of Clerks and Chasing Amy.

I'm completely fine with purchasing the Alliance BD releases, especially since nobody knows when we will be seeing proper releases of the Miramax catalog here in the US anytime soon. I already own 40 Days and 40 Nights, The Faculty, the Halloween triple pack and the Scream trilogy is on the way to my house.
Old 08-08-10, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I really want to order this, but I want confirmation from someone that it does include these bonus features. I know the box list's them, but has anyone checked out the disc yet?
All extras as listed are there. It is missing two extras from the DVD release which are a photo gallery and outdated cast & crew information from 2001.
Old 08-08-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All extras as listed are there. It is missing two extras from the DVD release which are a photo gallery and outdated cast & crew information from 2001.
Thanks for the information. I've gone ahead and ordered it. This is one of my all time favorites, and it's about time I had it in my collection (I don't own the DVD)!
Old 08-08-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a chance to watch this last weekend and am thoroughly satisfied with the purchase (especially at $14.99). I couldn't do a running comparison, but was able to pop in the old Alliance DVD and see an instant and substantial improvement in picture quality on this Blu-ray version. Just gorgeous.

Didn't think to compare subs, unfortunately, but the ones included were just fine with me. I suspect any American edition (whenever that might show up) won't make substantial enough improvements to warrant another purchase.
Old 08-10-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in stock at AxelMusic today, and mine shipped earlier this morning.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 08-10-10 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to assume that since you didn't answer my question the first time that it is Reindeer Games.
No. I've never even heard of Reindeer Games, much less seen it.
Old 08-11-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. I've never even heard of Reindeer Games, much less seen it.
LOL! It would instantly become one of your top 10 upon viewing.
Old 09-01-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mentioned this in the HD section, but figure it bears repeating here. Digital Bits gives the Canadian AMELIE Blu-ray a solid review (with the expected warning about the subs). Hope it's useful:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...3110b.html#ame
Old 09-01-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL! It would instantly become one of your top 10 upon viewing.
Ben Affleck: You're like a child. What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture. But then sometimes you gotta do the payback picture because your friend says you owe him. And sometimes, you have to go back to the well.
Matt Damon: And sometimes, you do Reindeer Games.
Ben Affleck: See, that's just mean.