Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

FYE Avatar Pre-Order

Old 04-14-10, 07:25 PM
Cool New Member

FYE Avatar Pre-Order

Just a head's up - not sure if this is nationwide or not but the Connecticut based FYE's have an Avatar blu-ray preorder deal @ $22.99 with a $5 mail in rebate (good for pre-ordered copies only).

Total = $17.99

***Oh..and the person at the checkout counter told me FYE WILL pricematch to ads in circulars. I'm not sure if they include the rebate in with the pricematch though...might try to get them to PM the Target flyer (if CT Targets carry Avatar at $19.99).

Last edited by 1895Gus; 04-14-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: FYE Avatar Pre-Order

Welcome to the forum, fellow nutmegger! Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 04-14-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 1895Gus View Post
...$5 mail in rebate (good for pre-ordered copies only)...
somewhat related and interesting news for those who shop twec, it seems fye lately is giving out rebates at the cashier for new releases only with pre-order.

in other words, if you dont pre-order a new release, you dont automatically get the mail-in-rebate form. i guess its something about trying to wean customers off that mir or something like that.
Old 04-20-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This could potentially be a sweet deal at FYE for Backstage Pass members. If they allow you to use this coupon-

-then it should break down like this-

$22.99
-$2.30(10% BSP discount)
-$3.00(BSP coupon)

Total $17.69 plus tax with a $5 MIR to boot.
Old 04-20-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Backstage Pass costs $25/year. No refunds after that day.
Old 04-21-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James View Post
This could potentially be a sweet deal at FYE for Backstage Pass members. If they allow you to use this coupon-

-then it should break down like this-

$22.99
-$2.30(10% BSP discount)
-$3.00(BSP coupon)

Total $17.69 plus tax with a $5 MIR to boot.
Where does this coupon come from?
Old 04-21-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post
Where does this coupon come from?
Credit goes to WTK-

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10115879-post187.html

I can confirm the deal in Connecticut.

$22.99
-$2.30(BSP loyalty discount)
-$3.00(aforementioned coupon)

Total $17.69 plus tax

$5.00 deposit with $12.69 due tomorrow plus the $5 MIR form.

With tax and the cost of a stamp for the MIR, my final cost should be just a tad over $14. If there is indeed an upgrade coupon for the super-duper edition that is coming in November, this version will end up costing me the price of a rental.

Thanks again, 1895Gus!
Old 04-21-10, 04:50 PM
Cool New Member

Cool. Thx for confirming SBJ.

The rep at FYE told me they do pricematch but I've never tried it there before.

I suppose potentially you could PM it with a Target flyer and get the base price down to $19.99 and then apply the coupons and stuff.

Not sure if they'll allow it though...
Old 04-21-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool. Thx for confirming SBJ.

The rep at FYE told me they do pricematch but I've never tried it there before.

I suppose potentially you could PM it with a Target flyer and get the base price down to $19.99 and then apply the coupons and stuff.

Not sure if they'll allow it though...
I've been able to price match at FYE but, as stated, they will only price match printed ads. And they will keep that page of the ad. They have to have it so the folks in charge know why they sold an item for less than the stated price.
Old 04-22-10, 11:53 AM
Cool New Member

I should have known.

Went to FYE today. My pre-ordered Avatar showed a base price of $27.99. I said I was told the base price was $22.99. They said the rep must have meant AFTER the $5 deposit. Then when I asked about PM'ing to the Target flyer they said they would but the $5 rebate would be canceled out.

So....

$27.99 PM'd to Target $19.99
and I got a bucket of trans fat loaded popcorn and an Avatar poster for free.

Not a horrible deal but not anything special. Had I paid the $27.99 and gotten the rebate I still wouldn't have done as well as the Target PM.

Beware of shady FYE reps.
Old 04-22-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

The same thing just happened to me at the Trumbull location. They wouldn't PM the Target ad and I didn't get the poster. However, I did get the tub of fat, so all is not lost. BTW, which location did you go to?
Old 04-22-10, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

Hey SBJ,

I went to the Meriden Mall location.

While I have found some decent used BRs there and the occasionally sweet $10 deal I won't pre-order anything from them again. The times I've done it they can never tell me what the actual price will be when I pre-order it. They flip through a booklet and shrug and say they don't know. I pre-ordered the Criterion "Days Of Heaven" from them several weeks ago. They told me it would "probably be $24.95". Turned out it was $34.95! The only reason I ordered it from them was to use up trade in credits. But I swore when I got into BR that if it wasn't a fat box set I wasn't gonna spend more than $20 a disc...don't want to repeat my old DVD habits...or my Laserdisc ones for that matter!

Anyway....I don't like that they don't know the price before they receive it and the constant upselling at the checkout counter has really turned me off (would you like to join the BSP club? Would you like to pre-order anything else? Are you hungry for a candybar? Do you want the Batman Mask Blu-Ray for $10.99? Etc....)

So did they just outright refuse to PM the Target ad? Did u get the rebate slip?
Old 04-22-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So did they just outright refuse to PM the Target ad? Did u get the rebate slip?
They said that they don't do price matches. I did get the $5 MIR slip. I was able to get the BSP 10% discount and the $3 off coupon applied. So my final cost was $22.19 plus tax and I'll get the $5 later on. Fortunately, I've always had good luck with receiving the MIR. I also had some brown bag trade-in credit to burn, so I went ahead with the purchase.
Old 04-22-10, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

Wow - that's amazing that they said they didn't price match....weird.
Old 04-22-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i believe twec stores do not have a company-wide policy for price-matching. its possible individual stores and managers will do whatever they want though.
Old 04-23-10, 08:04 AM

anyone know which upc is required to send in for the rebate? is it the one off the outer cardboard carton that looks more like an in-store label, or the official one that's actually in the blu-ray case? i noticed the bar codes are the same, so i was just gonna send in the one off the cardboard and not mess up the blu-ray case.
Old 04-23-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CodSteaks View Post
anyone know which upc is required to send in for the rebate? is it the one off the outer cardboard carton that looks more like an in-store label, or the official one that's actually in the blu-ray case? i noticed the bar codes are the same, so i was just gonna send in the one off the cardboard and not mess up the blu-ray case.
Welcome to the forum.

FYE has always accepted the yellow price sticker as the UPC. No need to cut up your case. However, you should make copies of everything, including the yellow price sticker. FYE has been known to deny rebates. However, if you call them up or e-mail them, they will process the rebate because of you being a valued customer.