Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

The Last Starfighter - $14.99 at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Last Starfighter - $14.99 at Best Buy.com

Cheapest I've seen it. Thought it might be worth mentioning

Its $19.99 in-store, so you have to match their website.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-08-10 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Sale on BB website only
Old 04-05-10, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Last Starfighter - $14.99 at Best Buy

Thanks for the post - but check the online reviews before you buy. Apparently, the picture quality is not that great. I'll be keeping my DVD until they release a (most-likely-never-gonna-happen) remaster.
Old 04-05-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

BJs has this in the Blu-ray/DVD combo in 2 separate cases for $14.99. Also saw with the 2-case combos are:

Rundown
End of Days
8 Mile (BD is Uncensored / DVD is Censored)
Old 04-05-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by masetodd
Thanks for the post - but check the online reviews before you buy. Apparently, the picture quality is not that great. I'll be keeping my DVD until they release a (most-likely-never-gonna-happen) remaster.
I picked this up on HD-DVD and it looked the way I remember it in the theater. I doubt they'll ever do anything more for it.
Old 04-05-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has to be better than the DVD
Old 04-05-10, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't trust many of those Blu-ray reviews. Most of those reviews are posted by people who either hate the movie or who have reviewed the DVD version and posted it as a Blu-ray review.

I just picked up a copy for myself.

Sides, you need to remember that these older movies from the 80's are going to have artifacts in the video. I noticed this problem with Blu-ray releases of Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men, Dirty Harry/Magnum Force, Above the Law and many other movies from the 80's and early 90's. There bound to be artifacts. Magnum Force contains a very bad transfer, which I plan on exchanging for a better copy. Only Magnum Force was a bad transfer.

The Last Starfighter was a movie produced back in the mid-80's so, it's not going to be a perfect HD transfer. If you cannot accept that, then you shouldn't be buying any Blu-ray movies that were originally made pre-2000's. Otherwise, you're going to complain about every release.
Old 04-06-10, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
BJs has this in the Blu-ray/DVD combo in 2 separate cases for $14.99. Also saw with the 2-case combos are:

Rundown
End of Days
8 Mile (BD is Uncensored / DVD is Censored)
I saw the same ones this morning at Walmart (plus a couple/few more that I can't remember right now).
Old 04-06-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
...Sides, you need to remember that these older movies from the 80's are going to have artifacts in the video. I noticed this problem with Blu-ray releases of... movies from the 80's and early 90's. There bound to be artifacts. ...

The Last Starfighter was a movie produced back in the mid-80's so, it's not going to be a perfect HD transfer. If you cannot accept that, then you shouldn't be buying any Blu-ray movies that were originally made pre-2000's...
This appears to be a myth that will not die, as it has been discussed in many threads already.

Digital artifacts or a bad transfer can have many causes, but neither has anything to do with when a movie was filmed.

The Last Starfighter is a bit unique in that it's the first movie that relied solely on CGI for it's visual effects, but the CGI only had a resolution of about one tenth (if that much) of the resolution of today's CGI. That's not a defect, however, just the limits of the technology of the times.

The effects on the LS BR release might look better than the DVD, but HD won't make the CGI look as photo realistic as today's CGI because the resolution isn't there to begin with.

On the other hand, the live action (shot on film) should look as good as anything done today... depending on the quality of the source material used for the transfer. A bad quality master print for the source will produce a bad quality transfer.

From a strictly technical standpoint, they could to go back and re-render the CGI at today's higher resolutions and probably for much less than what the original CGI effects cost. If I remember correctly, the LS CGI effects were output directly to film from a Cray supercomputer connected to a laser. Cutting edge and expensive.

If they did, it would offer the possibility of LS being theatrically re-released with enhanced CGI effects. This wouldn't be difficult. As I recall, there were very few (if any) scenes in LS where CGI was used in a shot with live action. Scenes were either live action entirely or CGI entirely.

This would also allow for LS to be re-released in 3D... which could be even more interesting if they only did the CGI sequences in 3D and left the live action "flat."

However, none of this speculation is even remotely likely to happen.

Besides the money issues involved, the data files for the LS CGI sequences either don't exist anymore (like those of Babylon 5), or are on some obsolete medium that can't be accessed by today's equipment.

Shame though. I'd pay to see LS with high quality, enhanced CGI in 3D.

Last edited by Jon2; 04-06-10 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2

the data files. . .are on some obsolete medium that can't be accessed by today's equipment.
And that will become the norm more and more. Wait until you can't play your mp3s anymore.
Old 04-07-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2
The Last Starfighter is a bit unique in that it's the first movie that relied solely on CGI for it's visual effects.
I thought Tron was.
Old 04-07-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

don't forget the $5 facebook universal coupon. then the price is $9.99 at BB.
Old 04-07-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I thought Tron was.
A lot of the effects weren't CGI. It only contained 15-20 minutes of it.

Instead, they used a lot of backlit animation.
Old 04-08-10, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by b2net
don't forget the $5 facebook universal coupon. then the price is $9.99 at BB.
I think the sale is over. I went to BB tonight, and a price check came up $19.99, plus the $5 facebook coupon was not allowed for use on sale prices.
Old 04-08-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Last Starfighter - $14.99 at Best Buy.com

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
I think the sale is over. I went to BB tonight, and a price check came up $19.99, plus the $5 facebook coupon was not allowed for use on sale prices.
I got it for $10 yesterday with the coupon. Had to match their website price of $14.99 first. I didn't realize it was only $14.99 on the website until I went to buy it.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-08-10 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-08-10, 11:42 AM

I guess that the BB I go to is just anal about reading the fine print on coupons. Win some, lose some.
Old 04-08-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
And that will become the norm more and more. Wait until you can't play your mp3s anymore.
I think that will be some considerable time.

However, while I was referring to the LS CGI data files being stored on something like tape (or whatever those old Crays used for data storage), there's also the possibility of them existing in some proprietary file format (that was never used for anything else) developed by those who did the effects.

P.S. FWIW, if your local BB stores price match the BB website, it still shows LS (BR only) for $14.99.

Last edited by Jon2; 04-08-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
It's only $14.99 on their website. It's $19.99 in store. You have to get them to match the online price (which is their policy). But then, sometimes you have issues getting them to apply the $5 coupon after that. I was able to get them to. YMMV.