Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Guide to Disney Coupons

Old 03-17-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guide to Disney Coupons

We keep running into redundant posts in various threads, so I thought it might be helpful to have a singular place to answer newbie questions.

"What can you tell me about the Disney Upgrade to Blu-ray Program?"

Disney has a program where you send them a Proof-of-Purchase tab from a DVD you own, and then they e-mail you a downloadable, printable coupon good for $8.00 off the purchase of the same movie on Blu-ray. Disney has a handy FAQ guide you can read here. Go ahead, click the link and read it. It won't take long, and they do a far better job than I could.

"What about coupons for new releases?"

We don't know how long we can expect Disney to keep doing this, but so far they've been posting downloadable, printable coupons for new releases. They have been good for $10.00 off the purchase price of a new release, valid for a very limited time. For instance, The Princess and the Frog was released on 16 March, and its coupon expires on 21 March.

These coupons are posted the weekend before the actual release date of the Blu-ray. The Princess and the Frog coupon went active 12 March, giving us a four-day head start before the release day.

Click here to see which coupons are active. Currently, you can print $5.00 off Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (they print as two separate coupons).

What about those Disney Movie Rewards coupons?

Periodically, Disney will also make coupons available through their Disney Movie Rewards website. If you're buying Disney Blu-rays anyway, you really ought to have a Disney Movie Rewards account (after all, it's free). You know those paper inserts with codes printed on them? Well, you enter those codes here and they earn you points, which you can then redeem for free stuff. Occasionally, you can enter a code that will unlock a printable coupon good toward the purchase of a new release.

Right now, if you own either Toy Story 1 or 2 on VHS or DVD, you can enter the UPC code from the package just as you would enter a Magic Reward Code. This unlocks a $10.00 off coupon good toward the purchase of the Blu-ray combo pack of whichever title you entered. So, if you entered the UPC from Toy Story on VHS, you would get a $10 coupon for the Toy Story Blu-ray combo pack. If you entered the UPC from Toy Story 2 on Special Edition DVD, you would get a $10 coupon for Toy Story 2 Blu-ray combo pack. This is a potential $20 in coupons, just for already owning these movies!

Last edited by Travis McClain; 03-20-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Guide to Disney Coupons

I doubt this will put an end to the questions.....

Thanks anyways.
Old 03-17-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
I doubt this will put an end to the questions.....

Thanks anyways.
Yeah, I know. I just hoped this thread might be a lightning rod to attract some of the questions that overrun other threads. It's obviously too late to save the Ponyo, Princess and the Frog and Toy Story thread, but maybe whatever comes next can deflect its clutter here.
Old 03-17-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read, like, the last 5 posts of the other thread and can't find out where the Toy Story coupons are. What gives?
Old 03-17-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I read, like, the last 5 posts of the other thread and can't find out where the Toy Story coupons are. What gives?
In case you aren't kidding it mentions in the first post here that they probably go on site march 19th, so they aren't there yet.

Last edited by whotony; 03-17-10 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I approve of this thread.
Old 03-17-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Disapproved.
Old 03-17-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
In case you aren't kidding it mentions in the first post here that they probably go on site march 18th, so they aren't there yet.
Who can be bothered with reading all those words? Needs more bold.
Old 03-17-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Who can be bothered with reading all those words? Needs more bold.
How about this:

Spoiler:
We keep running into redundant posts in various threads, so I thought it might be helpful to have a singular place to answer newbie questions.

"What can you tell me about the Disney Upgrade to Blu-ray Program?"

Disney has a program where you send them a Proof-of-Purchase tab from a DVD you own, and then they e-mail you a downloadable, printable coupon good for $8.00 off the purchase of the same movie on Blu-ray. Disney has a handy FAQ guide you can read here. Go ahead, click the link and read it. It won't take long, and they do a far better job than I could.

"What about coupons for new releases?"

We don't know how long we can expect Disney to keep doing this, but so far they've been posting downloadable, printable coupons for new releases. They have been good for $10.00 off the purchase price of a new release, valid for a very limited time. For instance, The Princess and the Frog was released on 16 March, and its coupon expires on 21 March.

These coupons are posted the weekend before the actual release date of the Blu-ray. The Princess and the Frog coupon went active 12 March, giving us a four-day head start before the release day.

Click here to see which coupons are active. Note: Disney has also provided a title-specific webpage for each movie's coupons, and you'll want to check for those. The next coupon will be $5 off Toy Story, and will also be posted at www.toystorysave5.com. We expect these to go live 19 March, and that we'll be able to print one $5.00 coupon for each of the two Toy Story movies.
Old 03-18-10, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Toy Story $5.00 coupons are now live. Note: as of right now, only Toy Story is active for the U.S. Both titles are active for Canada. The printed form under the coupon reads:

"This coupon is valid for Toy Story Special Edition Blu-ray or DVD Combo Pack." The cover image is repeated beneath that, and then it continues: "Don't forget to get your $5 coupon to save on Toy Story 2."
Old 03-18-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Toy Story 2 coupon for the US is now up on Disney's site.

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/disneymagicalsavings/

Last edited by seymouru; 03-18-10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-20-10, 09:10 AM
Cool New Member

"For instance, The Princess and the Frog was released on 16 March, and its coupon expires on 21 March."

I just printed off the Princess and The Frog $10 off coupon and it states now that it expires on 3/28.
Old 03-20-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrmooseesq View Post
"For instance, The Princess and the Frog was released on 16 March, and its coupon expires on 21 March."

I just printed off the Princess and The Frog $10 off coupon and it states now that it expires on 3/28.
Nice! I can't say why this is, but go with it.
Old 03-20-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably expires x no of days after you print it.
Old 03-20-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Added info about the Disney Movie Rewards $10.00 off coupons for Toy Story and Toy Story 2. If you're too lazy to go back to the beginning (and, really, who can blame you?), it's simple. Go to your DMR.com account and enter the UPC from the previous DVD or VHS releases of each movie just as you would normally enter a DMR code. This unlocks a $10.00 coupon good for whichever title's UPC code you entered. Each movie has its own unlockable $10 coupon, so that's $20 in savings right there!