Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old Dogs, Princess & the Frog, Toy Story 1&2 $5/$10 Coupons

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Old Dogs, Princess & the Frog, Toy Story 1&2 $5/$10 Coupons

Originally Posted by kstublen
Well, Best Buy continues to disappoint. I've used these Disney Coupons at Best Buy for Snow White, Up, and Monsters, Inc. and when I tried to use it for Ponyo today it wouldn't scan; the manager said he looked up the coupon on Disney's website and it said my coupon wasn't valid.

I walked upstairs to Target (they are located in the same building/plaza) and purchased Ponyo with the coupon, no problem.
Go back to Best Buy with your receipt and find that manager and point to him that the coupon did work and remind him he lost a sale.
Old 03-02-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coupon worked just fine for me earlier today at Target. $14.99 out the door.
Old 03-02-10, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My coupon was hardly legible because my printer ran out of ink and Target still took it.
Old 03-02-10, 04:55 PM

I have a question for anyone who plans to purchase or has purchased Ponyo at Wal-Mart. Is there some type of shortage of the Blu-ray? I asked someone to pick it up for me who was going grocery shopping. They came back with a DVD copy, given to them as the Blu-ray by the electronics clerk who took it from a locked cabinet. The coupon was accepted, but it's not the right version. I called and the same clerk picked up and said they didn't have it. I really dislike Wal-Mart but it's the only retailer selling Ponyo for around twenty-five miles that would accept this coupon. Can anyone confirm or deny a shortage of the Ponyo Blu-ray at Wal-Mart?
Old 03-02-10, 05:00 PM
Cool New Member

Our walmart had the same amount of Ponyo BluRays as the DVD but they both look the same! There both all blue. But ours did have some this afternoon.
Old 03-02-10, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by HannahFan2009
Our walmart had the same amount of Ponyo BluRays as the DVD but they both look the same! There both all blue. But ours did have some this afternoon.
Thanks for the info. I noticed the blue DVD slipcover and thought it played into the mistake. A blue slipcover does not mean Blu-ray. I guess the Wal-Mart workers need a memo.
Old 03-02-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my Ponyo at Wal Mart. $25-$2.50 (brother's employee discount)-$10 Coupon=$12.50. Total with tax was about $14.
Old 03-02-10, 05:21 PM

Bought 2 copies of Ponyo at Best Buy. There must be some unadvertised promotion becuase both copies were discounted to $19.99 on the receipt and then then 2 x $10 coupons ($20 off) were applied. So $9.99 + Tax each.
Old 03-02-10, 05:23 PM

I called Wal-Mart earlier to ask for the Ponyo Blu-Ray price and she said they didn’t have it in stock. *shrugs*
Old 03-02-10, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lance_G
Bought 2 copies of Ponyo at Best Buy. There must be some unadvertised promotion becuase both copies were discounted to $19.99 on the receipt and then then 2 x $10 coupons ($20 off) were applied. So $9.99 + Tax each.
What? Why is your's $19.99? It's listed on the ad for $24.99. I guess it's YMMV.
Old 03-02-10, 05:50 PM

I bought 2 copies on the same receipt and the system took an addtional $5 off each one before the coupons were applied.
Old 03-02-10, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

Bestbuy has a deal on their website where if you buy Ponyo, you can get another Miyazaki movie for $10 off. They probably counted the second Ponyo as another movie and you got $10 off. If this is true, then it would be an even hotter deal! I'm gonna try it out.
Old 03-02-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had heard that Best Buy was offering a promo where they took $10 off the combined purchase of Ponyo and one of the other Studio Ghibli titles, including the three that were re-released onto DVD today (My Neighbor Totoro, Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service).....

Yep, here is a link to this specific offer on their site:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at204200050008

Apparently you found the trick in their programming and the promo is also being applied to the purchase of two copies of the same title....nice find! This same exploit has been used by others in the past at Toys R Us for some previous Disney new releases with coupons and dollar-off combined purchases....
Old 03-02-10, 07:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

One copy to one and one to lick! Sweeeeeeeeeeet
Old 03-02-10, 07:41 PM
Cool New Member

Just bought two Ponyo's and the $10 discount works! So it's $30 off two!
Old 03-02-10, 09:06 PM

I was barely able to use the coupon at walmart tonight. The cashier immediately walked over to customer service with it before trying to scan, and came back saying they wouldn't take it because it's fake. I assured the lady it was real and offered by disney, when the customer service person came over to join.

Now I'm 25, but I look younger so they weren't taking me serious at all. Luckily an older man was behind me in line, and after he spoke up to say the coupon was real and that he'd used them before they decided to let me use it but had unhappy looks on their faces.

Afterwards the lady tried to explain they were told by security to not accept them since the company wasn't reimbursing them for the coupons due to people making copies. I completely understand that viewpoint and wouldn't have minded if they said that in the beginning... but don't come out and accuse me of using fake coupons.
Old 03-02-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gatorclaws
Afterwards the lady tried to explain they were told by security to not accept them since the company wasn't reimbursing them for the coupons due to people making copies. I completely understand that viewpoint and wouldn't have minded if they said that in the beginning... but don't come out and accuse me of using fake coupons.
I really wish that retailers would educate their employees better on how these work, The disney coupons are coded so that even if someone tries to use a photocopy, it wont work if the orginal coupon has allready been used.
not only that but they are watermarked in the background of the save 10.00 so its easy to tell its a legit coupon.

luckily though my bestbuy today gave me know issues about the coupon.
Old 03-02-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Best Buy gave me huge crap about using the $10 off Snow White coupon back in October (they ultimately chose not to take it), that I don't even bother with them anymore. Have used the Ponyo and Surrogates coupons with ease at Target. They just scan and I'm out the door in seconds. Even stacked a generic $3 off Disney DVD/Blu-Ray coupon on top of the $10 Ponyo one.
Old 03-02-10, 11:39 PM

Best Buy in Southern California would only let me use one coupon per transaction, thereby avoiding the additional $10 off on 2 Ghibli titles. Cashier (and a supervisor) insist that manufacturers will only reimburse Best Buy one coupon per transaction, rather than one coupon per purchase. They had no problem ringing up two Ponyo BR DVD's in separate transactions, and allowing me to use the coupon on each one.
Old 03-03-10, 09:09 AM

I also got 2 Ponyo's for $9.99 + tax at BB B&M... I had to argue a bit with the manager... My argument was nothing on the coupon states one coupon per transaction. It says one coupon per specified item. And I had two coupons for two items. Now.. if they make up something like Disney won't reimburse two on the same transaction.. I wouldn't know how to rebut that....

Cashier didn't even scan in the coupon.. she just punched in -$10 twice and kept the coupon.

YMMV.
Old 03-03-10, 09:27 AM

I love these Disney Coupons. I would never double dip on Disney DVD's otherwise (Snow White).
Also I have less issues in just blind buying titles I otherwise may not have even considered otherwise!
Old 03-03-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,415 Likes on 1,036 Posts

My Best Buy had trouble scanning the coupon, but a floor manager just overrode it and put it in manually. But they didn't scan my Reward Zone card so I have to figure out how to put it manually on the website.
Old 03-03-10, 11:47 AM
Suspended

No problems at Target. Hope Ponyo is good!
Old 03-03-10, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by gatorclaws
I was barely able to use the coupon at walmart tonight. The cashier immediately walked over to customer service with it before trying to scan, and came back saying they wouldn't take it because it's fake. I assured the lady it was real and offered by disney, when the customer service person came over to join.

Now I'm 25, but I look younger so they weren't taking me serious at all. Luckily an older man was behind me in line, and after he spoke up to say the coupon was real and that he'd used them before they decided to let me use it but had unhappy looks on their faces.

Damn dude, I'm not that old, only 41. Glad I could help out!

My 2 daughters and myself had just come from the advanced screening of Alice In Wonderland next door at the Regal Deerfield Theater.

Last edited by Indy Jones Fan; 03-03-10 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Damn dude, I'm not that old, only 41. Glad I could help out!

My 2 daughters and myself had just come from the advanced screening of Alice In Wonderland next door at the Regal Deerfield Theater.
OMG, Soul Mates!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.