Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blu-Ray Coupons Inside Insignia Players

Old 01-25-10, 10:52 AM
Cool New Member

Blu-Ray Coupons Inside Insignia Players

Hi all -

I received an Insignia Blu Ray Player for Christmas (inexpensive wireless netflix streaming version) and inside the box there was a flyer for about 8-10 Blu Ray Discs with an $8.00 Off Coupon for each. (Star Trek, Braveheart, Transformers, GI Joe, etc...)

This has come in quite handy for matching them up with some of Best Buy's sales (or having them price match and include the coupons on top of the PM). Now I've actually used up all of these coupons and I was considering getting another Player for a separate room in the house and was wondering if anyone knows that they may be sending out another sheet of these coupons in any of the players, or where I might just obtain one of the coupon sheets on their own!?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-25-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Blu-Ray Coupons Inside Insignia Players

I bought three of the Insginia players and didn't get any coupons. Go figure.
Old 01-25-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you see a manufacturing date on your box, please post it here. That could sway me to get one of these players for another room in the house...
Old 01-25-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$8.00 coupon for each movie is a sweet deal indeed.
Old 01-26-10, 06:04 AM
Cool New Member

There's no noticeable manufacture date on the box that I can identify.

It was model number NS-WBRDVD and above the UPC code there is an alphanumeric code (9K111751)

I purchased one of these in WI and got the coupons, and we also purchased one in NY for my mother for christmas and she got a sheet of them as well, so I know they are out there somewhere. I'd definitely like to find more similar pack-in offers if anyone knows of any
Old 01-26-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When do the coupons expire?
Old 01-26-10, 08:39 AM
Cool New Member

Expiration date is 2/28/10

Unfortunately kind of close. Most of the items that have been in the coupons have already gone on sale for a relatively good price.

Braveheart/gladiator was $14.99 at best buy (then - $8 = $6.99 plus an additional $10 mail in rebate if you owned the DVD!)
Star Trek was on sale for $16.99 (then minus $8 = $8.99) etc...

Great sales to take advantage of, but still good savings without the sale+coupon pairing.
Old 01-26-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ShallowDepths View Post
Expiration date is 2/28/10

Unfortunately kind of close.
That's not too bad. I was worried you were going to say 1/31, since I wouldn't even bother then... Thanks for the info! I'm in WI too, so I'm glad you said you bought one here that had the coupons...
Old 01-26-10, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I bought three of the Insginia players and didn't get any coupons. Go figure.
OOC (and it's really none of my business), but why would you buy three cheapo BD players?

TLK
Old 01-26-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
OOC (and it's really none of my business), but why would you buy three cheapo BD players?

TLK
Maybe all he needs is something to play blu-rays and steam Netflix movies. Nothing wrong with that.

..and whose says its a cheap player.
Old 01-26-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nycdude View Post
Maybe all he needs is something to play blu-rays and steam Netflix movies. Nothing wrong with that.

..and whose says its a cheap player.
That's all I'm looking for, for my bedroom... Maybe he bought one for the rec room, and 2 bedrooms. Or perhaps the kitchen!
Old 01-26-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

TLK
It Plays DVD. Blu-rays. Netflix. Wireless N. Can play any movie type (MKV, AVI, etc) from USB. Only a few BD players can do all that for $109. (1 for me, 1 for mom, 1 for GFs parents)
Old 01-26-10, 06:33 PM

It Plays DVD. Blu-rays. Netflix. Wireless N. Can play any movie type (MKV, AVI, etc) from USB. Only a few BD players can do all that for $109. (1 for me, 1 for mom, 1 for GFs parents)
Is the netflix streaming solid via Wi-fi? I have trouble with my TIVO Series 3 pausing quite a bit. Also, is the DTS-HD MA Decoding 7.1 or 5.1?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by steak-too View Post
Is the netflix streaming solid via Wi-fi? I have trouble with my TIVO Series 3 pausing quite a bit. Also, is the DTS-HD MA Decoding 7.1 or 5.1?

Thanks!
Yeah, works well for me. Not sure about internal DTS MA decoding (bedroom player so I don't care).
Old 01-26-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That does sound nice. If I upgrade my Sylvania that I got bundled with my Samsung TV from Amazon, I'd have to seriously consider this. What's the model number?

The only thing that has me hesitating from upgrading is that my Sylvania plays EVERYTHING. It doesn't have internet capability, and therefore isn't upgradeable as far as firmware I don't think, but right out of the box has never had an issue with any Blu-ray I've thrown in it, which, going by other people's experiences, is impressive.
Old 01-26-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kory View Post
That does sound nice. If I upgrade my Sylvania that I got bundled with my Samsung TV from Amazon, I'd have to seriously consider this. What's the model number?

The only thing that has me hesitating from upgrading is that my Sylvania plays EVERYTHING. It doesn't have internet capability, and therefore isn't upgradeable as far as firmware I don't think, but right out of the box has never had an issue with any Blu-ray I've thrown in it, which, going by other people's experiences, is impressive.
There is a Wired and Wireless version. Best Buy exclusive. Don't have the model #'s off hand, but they are the only ones available at the retailer. Typically they can be had for $99/$119 every few weeks.

And no disc issues whatsoever. My GFs dad uses it several times a day for months now and has had no problems.
Old 01-26-10, 06:53 PM

Can the wireless version be connected "wired"? I'd be interested in that one for the future, but right now I don't have wireless capability (although my Wii connected itself to a neighbor's wireless without me telling it to.)

And if you can take a moment to answer, what are the negatives to buying a "cheap" Blu-ray player? Do they not display the image as well as others?
Old 01-26-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can the wireless version be connected "wired"? I'd be interested in that one for the future, but right now I don't have wireless capability (although my Wii connected itself to a neighbor's wireless without me telling it to.)

And if you can take a moment to answer, what are the negatives to buying a "cheap" Blu-ray player? Do they not display the image as well as others?
I think it (WiFi version) has an Ethernet Jack on the back. I'd have to check (wait, I'm sure it does as it has the options of Wired or Wireless in the network settings).

Thankfully, this Insignia seems to be some sort of LG/Samsung hybrid (more towards LG, the remote is Samsung), so it hasn't had any issues. For $100, it's well worth it. Pictures Quality is the same for 9 out of 10 BD players. The DVD quality may be not as good, but BD picture will likely be the same (except on some higher-performance BD players like Oppo). Unless you really have a keen eye or an amazing setup, you won't be able to tell.

If you know me at all, I've dissed many POS Blu-ray players, and did so with the first two Insignia's. But this one is really fantastic. The ONLY downfall is the poor Remote response which is a bit iffy, but a firmware update fixed that a little. I liked the player so much I grabbed extras for family members.
Old 01-26-10, 07:31 PM

Sounds great, thanks! My family just got a 32" Samsung 720p (same TV I have) and I was thinking about getting them a Blu-ray player for it. Might give them my Sylvania and buy one of these Insignias.
Old 01-26-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds great, thanks! My family just got a 32" Samsung 720p (same TV I have) and I was thinking about getting them a Blu-ray player for it. Might give them my Sylvania and buy one of these Insignias.
Well worth it. The Sylvania's were actually Insignia clones before the recent change to LG/Samsung. So if you were happy with the Sylvania, you'll love the new Insignia.