DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   40% off used Blu @ gohastings.com (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/567659-40%25-off-used-blu-%40-gohastings-com.html)

nycdude 01-11-10 08:41 PM

Re: 40% off used Blu @ gohastings.com

I received 2 out of the 4 that I ordered. Both so far are in excellent condition. The "Ugly Truth" blu that came has a digital copy attached but no insert code included.

Am I SOL on accessing it??? Its not a biggie but would be nice.

If I knew it was this nice, I should have ordered a few more. :(

Kory 01-11-10 09:04 PM

Email the company and say you bought the Blu-ray but there was no code inside. The worst they can do is say no.

stingermck 01-11-10 11:17 PM

Still have a few waiting to ship, but now I see The Day the Earth Stood Still has been canceled.

atlantamoi 01-12-10 03:51 AM

All 8 have shipped. Ordered at 6am. Funny, I wanted to order Ice Age 1 and accidentally ordered Ice Age 2. Ice Age 3 showed up instead and then I realized I already had Ice Age 2. Goofs all around worked out. This used disc showed up with only the Blu and no DVD. Don't care.

collven 01-12-10 04:39 AM

I received 3 of them yesterday, including the Rental version of Night at the Museum 2. Does anyone think I could exchange that for a used copy of the regular version if one of the local stores have it in stock? It's got residue from the label around the center of the disc and I can't get it all off. I really don't want to put it in my PS3 like that.

PhantomStranger 01-12-10 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by collven (Post 9938142)
I received 3 of them yesterday, including the Rental version of Night at the Museum 2. Does anyone think I could exchange that for a used copy of the regular version if one of the local stores have it in stock? It's got residue from the label around the center of the disc and I can't get it all off. I really don't want to put it in my PS3 like that.

Use a cotton ball dipped in Goo Gone or other similar fluid, and gently wipe off the residue. That works for me.

sotra 01-13-10 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sotra (Post 9936204)
So, a couple of questions if they do the same sale online again on Friday -

Are there any valid coupons now that the $5 off $25 expired? If not then it is probably best to just do one big order to save a little bit on shipping, right?

When do their online sales usually go live? It seems like last sale crashed their website several times after 8am, but I'm sure the sale started earlier.

Anyone know? Looks like all my orders shipped btw. Received 7 Monday morning and they were in very good condition with inserts and slipcovers on some. Got all the codes for digital copies too.

izatright 01-13-10 01:43 PM

This is the first bad batch I got! They DID send me the commercial version of Star Trek with all three discs and digital copy code, but I got two messed up sends. My Wanted was missing a disc, and my Doomsday had some of the graphic torn off due to that stupid sticker. I have a feeling an employee tried to remove it, as I never have those included, and it peeled so they left it on. :(

BUT I wrote them and I expect replacement. :D

Kory 01-13-10 02:57 PM

I've received like five of my 11 so far. All of them have had their discs, except "Bruno" which was missing the digital copy disc. No slipcovers all around.

Jaymole 01-13-10 03:33 PM

I have received 20 so far, and all have been in excellent condition with all discs included. Star Trek & Adventureland both had slipcovers.

Kory 01-13-10 03:44 PM

I think that "Adventureland" is the one I'm most pissed about missing out on. That NEVER gets put on a decent sale.

flashburn 01-13-10 04:15 PM

Two of mine, The Wrestler and Valkyrie had "Rental Exclusive" on the bottom of the cover, but the only difference was that they are missing the digital copies, no big deal, since I never use those. Two others came in stupid DVD rental cases, so I'm going to have to buy some Blu-ray cases.

sotra 01-13-10 05:11 PM

I've now received 16 out of 17 ordered and all were in excellent condition (Terminator even came in original shrinkwrap and with lenticular slipcover). The only things missing are the digital copy code for the hangover (guess I'll try and contact them about it, but no big deal if I don't get it) and Night at the museum 2 was a stupid barebones rental exclusive - which I'll contact gohastings about.

maxfisher 01-13-10 06:49 PM

I've received 11 of the 25 I ordered. One was still in the shrinkwrap, one looked like someone had taken a razor to the front and back of the case and the rest were in decent shape. All the discs look good, though a couple had some fingerprints. Of the other 14, I'm showing 5 have shipped and 9 are out of stock, which I'm guessing will end up resulting in them being canceled.

kyle 01-13-10 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 9941148)
I think that "Adventureland" is the one I'm most pissed about missing out on. That NEVER gets put on a decent sale.

I never even saw that become available--and I checked around 8am EST on Friday.

kyle 01-13-10 06:58 PM

Most of mine didn't include slipcovers (not sure which ones should have). My Four Christmases arrived with slipcover (a little torn) and digital copy, Hangover had digital copy but no slipcover. GI Joe didn't come with Digital Copy code or slipcover--which is annoying since the slipcover has all the specs. The digital copies I don't particularly care about--except it's nice to have the WB ones for their Insider Rewards. Waiting to see what I get for Night at the Museum 2 before I call on GI Joe since I saw others received a rental version--I specifically chose the Used one, so we'll see. All discs themselves look brand new--some of the cases look like they were covered with bumper stickers and then removed.

dan30oly 01-13-10 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 9941148)

I've had Adventureland on my wish-list for months now and it's either never had a decent price, or been available during a sale.

Today is the first day I've had a issue with Hastings (and I've probably gotten at least 100 blu-rays from them). They sent out Pinnochio instead of Predator 2. I don't have much interest in Pinnochio, but I probably came out ahead anyway.

PGHFlyer 01-13-10 08:48 PM

So far all of mine have been in perfect condition and even got a few digital copies w/codes. Past experience says I will probably get one that is messed up of this lot I ordered, but the nice thing is I have had no problems with their customer service. They don't respond to e-mail (I know, kind of irritating), but wait time on phone is never over a couple of minutes and they are friendly and always offer to take return with full refund (including all shipping) or to just refund the cost and keep the item.

mordaane 01-13-10 09:37 PM

Wow,

Standards folks.

If it is a two-disc special...then best come with both discs. I can't believe anyone would let a company get away with that.

illennium 01-13-10 11:21 PM

I ordered Wall-E (BR) from a previous GoHastings sale, and both discs came pretty scratched up. I had read that Blu-Rays were supposed to be scratch-resistant, but I guess they can still get scratched? Are they pretty much like DVDs, where you can look at them and generally tell whether they'll play by the depth and nature of the scratch? Pardon the stupid question. I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet and that was actually the first used Blu-Ray I'd bought. I haven't tested it yet but it was very cheap so I'm not that bothered if it doesn't work.

Jaymole 01-14-10 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by kyle (Post 9941489)
I never even saw that become available--and I checked around 8am EST on Friday.

I placed my order around 6am, it was available then.

dan30oly 01-14-10 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 9941996)
I placed my order around 6am, it was available then.

Just out of curiousity, how much was it?

Jaymole 01-14-10 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 9942008)
just out of curiousity, how much was it?

Adventureland
Jesse Eisenberg

Used - Blu-ray
Shipped $23.99 1 $9.73

dan30oly 01-14-10 07:11 AM

that's not a bad price, but considering the deals on his sale,that's still too much.

Jaymole 01-14-10 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 9942175)
that's not a bad price, but considering the deals on his sale,that's still too much.

I have been waiting almost 5 months to get this used at a decent price at gohastings. I can't find this for less than $15 used anywhere, so I am happy to get it for this price, especially since it is a $45 retail Blu-ray and it came in perfect condition.

Same thing for Kiss of the Spider-Woman, which I have been waiting to get for over a year. I can't find it for less than $20 used, so I was happy to get it for $13 during this sale.

To each his own.

zombeaner 01-14-10 08:57 AM

Got 5 titles in the mail yesterday, including a sealed (!) copy of My Bloody Valentine 3D. Pretty psyched about that. I do need to buy a couple of Blu-ray cases, though.

collven 01-14-10 09:18 AM

I ordered the used version of Up, but received a previously viewed rental version. It still had the barcode sticker around the ring of the disc. Would they do an exchange if I contacted them, or just offer a refund?

PGHFlyer 01-14-10 09:25 AM

I have never had an exchange offer. They usually send you a pre-paid return label and then will refund you the cost and pro-rated shipping charges paid. One isolated occurrence I had them tell me to just keep the item and they issued a refund for the item and shipping charges. Every time I had to call them due to non-responsive e-mail.

collven 01-14-10 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jkzahn (Post 9942372)
I have never had an exchange offer. They usually send you a pre-paid return label and then will refund you the cost and pro-rated shipping charges paid. One isolated occurrence I had them tell me to just keep the item and they issued a refund for the item and shipping charges. Every time I had to call them due to non-responsive e-mail.

OK, thanks. That was the one movie I made sure to order used instead of pre-viewed, since I wanted the extras and, hopefully, the DVD copy. Oh well.

sotra 01-14-10 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by collven (Post 9942359)
I ordered the used version of Up, but received a previously viewed rental version. It still had the barcode sticker around the ring of the disc. Would they do an exchange if I contacted them, or just offer a refund?

I got the barebones rental exclusive of NATM2 and called them last night. They told me to reorder it to get the3 disc version and then call them back to get refunded price paid plus shipping.

pattanbd 01-14-10 07:23 PM

Recieved 17 out of the 21 ordered. only two have issues with missing code inserts for Digital Download.
1. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
2. He's Just not that into you.

If any of you folks are not planning to use it but have the code, will really appreciated if you can share it with me. Please PM me the code. I can send you code for Inglorious basterds.

zombeaner 01-14-10 07:49 PM

Well, I was told that my phantom order for which I received a confirmation e-mail is gone, but they'd honor the prices in my order for the available titles if I wanted to reorder. So I did. That brings my total ordered to 19 and the total received is now 7. The operator I was being helped by, who was very nice and helpful about the whole thing, said they are starting some sale on Sunday. No details though.

mattysemo247 01-14-10 08:18 PM

Well I opened my package expecting Crank 2 and found Snakes on a Plane. I sent them an e mail so hopefully it will be easy to exchange.

collven 01-14-10 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sotra (Post 9942399)
I got the barebones rental exclusive of NATM2 and called them last night. They told me to reorder it to get the3 disc version and then call them back to get refunded price paid plus shipping.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they would do that for me.

stingermck 01-15-10 05:46 AM

So far I do not see 40% off online

zombeaner 01-15-10 06:36 AM

It isn't there, the CS rep mentioned a sale starting Sunday, though. Maybe it is the same sale.

sotra 01-15-10 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner (Post 9943478)
The operator I was being helped by, who was very nice and helpful about the whole thing, said they are starting some sale on Sunday. No details though.

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 9944023)
So far I do not see 40% off online

Hopefully Sunday is correct then. So far nothing today and probably won't happen either.

stingermck 01-15-10 12:18 PM

Just had 7 titles canceled from my order, with 1 left in progress

The Wicker Man
Stargate
Road Warrior
Alexander
XXX: State of the Union
See No Evil
The Ugly Truth

kyle 01-15-10 12:28 PM

Just refreshed my order and see that my last item (Primal Fear) was canceled.

Jaymole 01-15-10 12:38 PM

8 titles have been cancelled from my orders.

I doubt that they are going to have another Blu-ray sale Sunday, especially since almost every Blu-ray on my wishlist (over 60 titles) is out of stock.