Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Up and Monsters, Inc. deals (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Up and Monsters, Inc. deals (Part 2)

Agreed, I never thanked everyone for making it possible for me scoring two awesome Pixar Blu-ray's for under $4!!!
Old 11-10-09, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
I gotta wonder if this will ever happen again (folks getting 2 blu-rays for almost nothing). There's no money in it.
You gotta figure that the majority of people (especially newbie Blu-Ray buyers) don't think to look for coupons or check forums like this for deals. Plus, there are those who would just as soon not go to all the bother of hunting down a deal (and can afford not to). I'd be interested in seeing the numbers, but I'll bet distributors sell a lot more of these titles at full price (or retail price) than at whatever ridiculous prices all us deal-hunters are getting them for.
Old 11-10-09, 08:54 PM

SO......I go to my local Target today and they have 1 copy of Monsters Inc. Blu-ray on the shelf and no Ups (Blu-ray)..........I ask the guy in the electronics dept and eh says they have 55 copies in the back so I will get one for you. I ask if I can check out in the electronics dept. and do a price match and he says sure. After showing him the Best Buy ad he says they can't and this wannabe manager says they can't match it because of the book. After taking 3 copouns the 4th says too many coupons which I explained it will work if he hits the button and it does. I paid $11.20 with tax.

While walking to the front of the store I decide to go to customer service to see if I can get the price match there. Well after asking both customer service reps they call over an assistant manager and then the store manager. A customer service rep decides to put her 2 cents in and says NO. I said thanks I am talking to the manager. After explaining that Manufacturer Coupons have mothing to do with the price match and telling him that UP is only sold at TARGET with the journal I got an $8.48 refund to make my FINAL TOTAL $2.72.
Old 11-10-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
SO......I go to my local Target today and they have 1 copy of Monsters Inc. Blu-ray on the shelf and no Ups (Blu-ray)..........I ask the guy in the electronics dept and eh says they have 55 copies in the back so I will get one for you. I ask if I can check out in the electronics dept. and do a price match and he says sure. After showing him the Best Buy ad he says they can't and this wannabe manager says they can't match it because of the book. After taking 3 copouns the 4th says too many coupons which I explained it will work if he hits the button and it does. I paid $11.20 with tax.

While walking to the front of the store I decide to go to customer service to see if I can get the price match there. Well after asking both customer service reps they call over an assistant manager and then the store manager. A customer service rep decides to put her 2 cents in and says NO. I said thanks I am talking to the manager. After explaining that Manufacturer Coupons have mothing to do with the price match and telling him that UP is only sold at TARGET with the journal I got an $8.48 refund to make my FINAL TOTAL $2.72.
I gotta be honest, it sounds like you were kind of a dick about it. The Target version was an exclusive package not sold anywhere else, so they were well within their rights to refuse the pricematch.
Old 11-10-09, 09:02 PM

Question and comment:

First the question:
I got a DEAL at Target [I didn't know about the $10 Up! coupon at the time] for $10.98. If I go back in there with my receipt and the $10 Up! coupon will they let me do that and adjust the price or is that a YMMV? I don't wanna be greedy here - $5.50 per BD is a GREAT deal, but if the Up! coupon fits and is applicable, then I'd do that too.

That is the best possible deal.

Up! $19.99 + $18.99 [best buy price match] - $8 Monsters Inc [disney rewards] - $10 Target website - $10 [on Monster's Inc pack] - $10 Up! coupon = $0.98 + tax

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Old 11-10-09, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I gotta be honest, it sounds like you were kind of a dick about it. The Target version was an exclusive package not sold anywhere else, so they were well within their rights to refuse the pricematch.

Actually the Manger was very nice it was other employees sticking their noses where it didn't belong. As far as your statemen of me being a DICK...........QUITE THE CONTRARY. I was very nice and I EVEN told the manager if it could not be done I understand.
It was not the MANAGER saying no it was employees and last i checked the MANAGER has the final say and he even said that they don't have to because of the exclusive, but he would gladly do it for me.

If you think based on what I typed I was a DICK, then YOU REALLY NEED TO RE READ IT AND PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES.

BUT THANKS FOR KNOWING ME SO WELL AND GIVING YOUR $HIITY 2 CENTS.

(btw NOW I AM BEING A DICK)

Last edited by doctaheath78; 11-10-09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 09:13 PM

Not really money in it, but it has happened before and will again. The first two blu rays I ever got...even before I had a blu ray player were Cars and Ratatouille. ToysRUs had a buy one get one free and a coupon for each plus a rebate on Cars. Ended up being $1.50 each. The community in DVDtalk and other sites that take every last drop from these deals is probably very miniscule compared to everyone else that will see it in on sale for $19.99 or $26.99 and pay that price, or close to full. Of course, I could be completely wrong.....

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
I gotta wonder if this will ever happen again (folks getting 2 blu-rays for almost nothing). There's no money in it.
Old 11-10-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by izatright

But it gets better. Using Nick Crushian accounting: $13.66 - $15 from Best Buy steelbook refund = -$1.34!

Awesome.
Old 11-10-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Target - Total price paid was $5.53 out the door. I am glad I canceled my Amazon order for $32.00.
Old 11-10-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Murmur
Not really money in it, but it has happened before and will again. The first two blu rays I ever got...even before I had a blu ray player were Cars and Ratatouille. ToysRUs had a buy one get one free and a coupon for each plus a rebate on Cars. Ended up being $1.50 each. The community in DVDtalk and other sites that take every last drop from these deals is probably very miniscule compared to everyone else that will see it in on sale for $19.99 or $26.99 and pay that price, or close to full. Of course, I could be completely wrong.....
You're on the ball. Outside of the forums, nobody else would've taken as full advantage of the deal as we have. However, the forum has also been proactive about the deals regarding these two movies for weeks now.

I posted a comment regarding the price I paid on Facebook and I've had not only numerous people comment on how I did it, but tons of people call and text. I'm like the second coming of the Blu-ray Christ in my social circle now due to this.
Old 11-10-09, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
I got a YMMV deal...
Up at Target was $19.99
PM BB -> Monsters $18.99
---------------------------
Total $38.98
$10 off UP (disney)($10.00)
$10 off Up/Monster($10.00) from the Monsters slip cover
$10 off Up/Monster($10.00) from the Target online ad
---------------------------
Total $ 8.98
plus tax on $28.98 $ 2.38 (this is what the receipt said)
------------------------
Out the door $11.36

Boy did I get lucky.
I should point out that I was not able to use the $8 Monsters coupon (from Disney) because Target automatically limits you to one manufacturers coupon per item. The ladies at customer service we very nice, and I decided not to push it. In the end it was a nice combo of 1 Disney coupon per item plus a Target coupon.
Old 11-10-09, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
I should point out that I was not able to use the $8 Monsters coupon (from Disney) because Target automatically limits you to one manufacturers coupon per item. The ladies at customer service we very nice, and I decided not to push it. In the end it was a nice combo of 1 Disney coupon per item plus a Target coupon.
Not true. They just have to hit a button to allow it since it won't automatically take it. The computer DOES NOT reject it though if they hit the button.
Old 11-10-09, 10:02 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't have the patience to fight with Target tomorrow...

Is anything preventing this deal at Best Buy:

$19.99 + $18.99 - $10 Up - $8 Monsters Inc = $20.98 + tax ?
Old 11-10-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mao

Only their own computer system not in sync with what the ad specifies.
Old 11-10-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao

Their system doesn't seem to want to allow that deal. It took me 30 minutes to get a cashier to do it. Then, she refused to honor the coupons. I promptly left. I'll have to try again later with another cashier.
Old 11-10-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Best Buy's register system takes $5 off each title, so price matching Up doesn't work to your advantage. Unless you can somehow finagle them to manually drop Monsters Inc to $18.99.
Old 11-10-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Best Buy's register system takes $5 off each title, so price matching Up doesn't work to your advantage. Unless you can somehow finagle them to manually drop Monsters Inc to $18.99.
I had to argue it too, but it worked for me. Basically I told the woman at the CS desk that if I were to order the two movies online for pick-up, I would get them for the cheaper price, so why can't I in-store? She then dropped UP to $14.99 to make up the difference.
Old 11-10-09, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mao

Went to one Best Buy -- they claimed that both coupons were fake! They said that someone posted invalid barcodes (even though these were from the Disney site!!), and thus, could not accept the coupons. Their excuse also was that if the coupons don't scan, they can't accept them. BB knows that NO manufacturer's coupons scan in the system (correct me if I'm wrong?). They have to manually enter the coupons after the sub-total.

Another BB location would only allow me to do 2 separate transactions...not use both coupons in the same transaction (to go along with the added $10 instant savings with purchase of both flicks)....
Old 11-10-09, 10:30 PM

Not true. They just have to hit a button to allow it since it won't automatically take it. The computer DOES NOT reject it though if they hit the button.
And which button would that be ? I dont wanna go over there tomorrow and hand the 4th coupon and say just hit the button when the computer refuses it.
Old 11-10-09, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It was in a reply to the snow white discount. Instead of doing it like all the other CSRs did, they made me click a link to get the $10 refunded after it shipped.

I ended up getting another reply to the second email I sent out, at the same time, and they just applied it normally. So they basically gave it to me twice, in two different ways.
Thats what she said.

PS: I am sorry man i had to do it.
Old 11-10-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy an additional cheap item(I bought a Gatorade), the computer does take all 4 coupons without issue.
Old 11-10-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
Went to one Best Buy -- they claimed that both coupons were fake! They said that someone posted invalid barcodes (even though these were from the Disney site!!), and thus, could not accept the coupons. Their excuse also was that if the coupons don't scan, they can't accept them. BB knows that NO manufacturer's coupons scan in the system (correct me if I'm wrong?). They have to manually enter the coupons after the sub-total.

Another BB location would only allow me to do 2 separate transactions...not use both coupons in the same transaction (to go along with the added $10 instant savings with purchase of both flicks)....
I'm glad I'm not the only one that got screwed over.
Old 11-10-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm glad I'm not the only one that got screwed over.
I'm sure that DonkeyKong would disagree.
Old 11-10-09, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I'm sure that DonkeyKong would disagree.
I just can't believe they pulled the fake coupon story. They said that BB corporate was alerted by Disney to not take the coupons....!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
I just can't believe they pulled the fake coupon story. They said that BB corporate was alerted by Disney to not take the coupons....!!!!!!!!

My BB girl was aware of them both and said they could take them before I really even offered them to her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.