Last edit by: TheBang
deleted
Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Good price for those that don't already own Sherlock.
Old 12-01-10, 07:26 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I knew I should have checked out the Blu Ray section when I was in there tonight. Will pick up 'The Shawshank Redemption' and 'The Blind Side' next time I'm there, and hopefully they have the same display.

What exactly is concession money? Never seen or heard of it before
Old 12-01-10, 07:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic

What exactly is concession money? Never seen or heard of it before
You use it for popcorn, snacks, candy, drinks, etc.. at the movie theater.
Old 12-01-10, 07:41 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Texan26
You use it for popcorn, snacks, candy, drinks, etc.. at the movie theater.
lol...ok, kinda thought that's what it was
Old 12-01-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel real dumb for buying Sherlock when it came out, since I haven't watched it yet. I have got to stop buying new releases unless it comes with an exclusive, or if I will positively watch it right away... I saw Sherlock in the theater, so knew I wouldnt watch it right away...
Old 12-01-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Batman: Under the Red Hood was in the assortment at our store tonight. My wife won a $5 WM gift card during McDonald's Monopoly promotion, so we picked it up for $5.00 out of pocket. Strangely, the copy we brought home doesn't seem to have the concession cash offer. Also, don't expect these to include Digital Copies (for the titles that originally did).
Old 12-01-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, the Hellboy cartoon movies were in a dual-pack blu-ray for $8.50 on an endcap.
Old 12-01-10, 09:36 PM

How does the concession bucks work? Which theaters can they be used at? It says get up to $5 off, does that mean you have to purchase a certain amount of snacks/drinks?

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't go to the movies, and got our friends some movie tickets as a gift and thought about adding this to it.

Thanks
Old 12-01-10, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jane2001
How does the concession bucks work? Which theaters can they be used at? It says get up to $5 off, does that mean you have to purchase a certain amount of snacks/drinks?

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't go to the movies, and got our friends some movie tickets as a gift and thought about adding this to it.

Thanks
Usually it's like $5 cash towards any concession item(s). I believe you have to spend it all at once (most likely won't give cash back if you spend less than $5, but is that even possible at the theater snack bar? lol). There should be a list of eligible theaters that you can check first.
Old 12-01-10, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I feel real dumb for buying Sherlock when it came out, since I haven't watched it yet. I have got to stop buying new releases unless it comes with an exclusive, or if I will positively watch it right away... I saw Sherlock in the theater, so knew I wouldnt watch it right away...
Yeah, I stopped buying blu's on release day, unless they are a steal (like the Disney blu's). Look at the 'Back to the Future" Trilogy blu-ray. Waited just over a month since it was released, and picked it up for $27. It'll probably be $15 this time next year.

What annoyed me was going back to Walmart on Sunday, and seeing a ton of returned blu-rays that were on sale on Black Friday. Hoarders picked them up Friday morn, and then returned them on Saturday. Basically, robbing those of us who might have actually kept them.
Old 12-01-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
Hoarders picked them up Friday morn, and then returned them on Saturday. Basically, robbing those of us who might have actually kept them.
Well, not all of us were hoarders. Some of us were impulse buyers who came to their senses. For instance, that Predator looked great for $5 until I read DVDtalk's reviews.
Old 12-01-10, 11:34 PM

Thanks DonkeyKong

Might have to check out what is available out our local walmart
Old 12-01-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

may have to get sherlock next check.
Old 12-01-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. Good deal on Sherlock Holmes. I'm going to ask for it for Christmas!
Old 12-02-10, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by izatright
For instance, that Predator looked great for $5 until I read DVDtalk's reviews.
It wasn't perfect, but I sure felt Predators was closer to the original Predator movie than the comedy farce Predator 2 ever was.
Old 12-02-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Predators alright. Picked it up for 10 at BB. I just wish they'd release the first one without all the problems. I might pick up the first if they ever put on some good extras and don't screw up the transfer too much.
Old 12-02-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I've adopted that philosophy too on movies (as you may know from reading my past posts). I normally won't pay more than $10 for a BD movie unless I plan to watch it right away in which case the limit is $15 (Avatar EE was a rare exception but at least I watched it immediately). I try to keep DVD to BD upgrades at $5-$8 depending on how much I liked the movie (and almost every time I cave into that rule I soon regret it just like the recent Walmart $5 BD BF deals). On TV series I sometimes go higher, but usually regret it (like buying Mad Men S2 & S3 on BD for $19 + tax each only to find Amazon selling them for $9.99 each not long after my return period expired). Same thing happens on video games almost every time I pay more than $10. I bought Infamous PS3 for $20 last year, never opened it, and it was $10 this year. I bought Demon's Souls PS3 for $15 this year, so expect to see it for $10 or less soon (unless I actually find time to play it over Christmas).

Of course I always intend to watch or play these things right away, but stuff often happens that delays those plans. So, I agree the key is whether you're going to watch it right away or not. This BF was what I'd call the yearly slap in the face I deserve every time I cave in on my price limits. Fortunately I haven't done it too often. It's really hard to know where to draw the line on TV sets. Movies are easy... $15 limit if you'll watch it right away, $10 limit if you won't watch it for a long time, and $5-$7 limit if it's a DVD upgrade.

And I'll be preemptive for the inevitable sarcastic comment from somebody when I write long messages discussing my price limits:
"Manzana, thanks for sharing your buying strategies and price limits with us. I couldn't have made it another day in life without knowing those because what you think is SO important to me".
You're welcome. :-)
Old 12-02-10, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by adam_omega
It wasn't perfect, but I sure felt Predators was closer to the original Predator movie than the comedy farce Predator 2 ever was.
The poster you quoted was talking about the DNR'ed to hell "Ultimate Hunter Edition" of the first movie that was onsale at Wal-Mart for 5$.
Old 12-02-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I might get Sherlock Holmes for $10 as well. I just bought and watched the Blind Side, and I'm sure the coupon is inside the packaging so I missed out on that $5 concession money. However, I'll take a guess given the name is "Hollywood Concession Money" that it's restricted to the same theaters that accept "Hollywood Movie Money" which basically means only theaters at least 5 miles away from me (i.e. Harkins) and not the best theater right next to where I live (AMC). If that's true, then I wouldn't have used the concession money anyway.

Could anyone confirm if this concession money works at AMC Theaters?
Old 12-02-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Could anyone confirm if this concession money works at AMC Theaters?
You're probably right if it's the same company. I don't think it can be verified yet because the offer doesn't go live until the 14th.

As for the concession, it was stickered to the factory wrap. Don't throw it away, as the code is on the flip side!
Old 12-02-10, 01:51 PM

Someone send these to Amazon to price match, I'm so getting Sherlock and Full Metal Jacket for that price and then I'll have all 3 of my fav war movies on blu!
Old 12-02-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does Sherlock Holmes still come with the DVD and Digital Copy?
Old 12-02-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Was at close Walmart, literally the only wrapped package one they had was 10,000 BC.

I need Sherlock. I'll check another Walmart tomorrow/over the weekend.

Is 10,000 BC worth getting? I never saw it.
Old 12-02-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Does Sherlock Holmes still come with the DVD and Digital Copy?
I already unwrapped this blu and there is no dvd or digital copy. It's a blu-ray in one of those green friendly blu cases. The barcode for the wrapping paper packaging slipcase is different than the barcode on the blu itself, which is 883929086993. (Throw this into your amazon search bar and you'll see the deets of this release).
Old 12-02-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
I already unwrapped this blu and there is no dvd or digital copy. It's a blu-ray in one of those green friendly blu cases. The barcode for the wrapping paper packaging slipcase is different than the barcode on the blu itself, which is 883929086993. (Throw this into your amazon search bar and you'll see the deets of this release).
That's what I suspected. For those who bought Sherlock Holmes earlier, at least you received something more for the extra money you spent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.