Last edit by: TheBang
deleted
Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Man, I think I'm gonna have to go at midnight to check things out. I hate going to our Walmart anytime, it's always packed here, this shall be madness.
Old 11-16-10, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Then it looks like I'll be getting even less sleep (probably none at all Thursday night/Friday morning). I'll head over once at midnight and again at 5 AM. Fortunately my Walmart (as crappy as it is because it's an older store with a smaller inventory I believe) is a 2 minute drive from my house. It would be less but there are 2 stop signs and 1 light between me and it, and I rarely make that light. Normally that light has a 1 minute cycle time but I think late at night it's more like 2 minutes.
TMI mate.
Old 11-16-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melih69
TMI mate.
At least he didn't mention he drives in the nude...
Old 11-16-10, 05:27 PM

Looks like they are having a sale tomorrow 11/17 on about 10 items. It list a few blu-ray but I don't believe the sale price will go active until tomorrow.

They list the following blu-ray:

The Karate Kid (2010)
How to Train Your Dragon
Avatar Extended Collectors Edition
Iron Man 2

http://www.walmart.com/cp/1082600?wmlspartner=VJQZNxQ9nek&sourceid=07613676863357492123
Old 11-16-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So those aren't the sale prices, and they'll be cheaper?
Old 11-16-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought How to Train Your Dragon was only available in a combo pack. Is that new?
Old 11-16-10, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

I think those are the sale prices, but they won't take effect until tomorrow (17th). I guess I don't need Amazon afterall For Avatar Ext. blu.
Old 11-16-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those aren't the prices, the Blu Ray player is advertised in a picture on the site for $65 on the 17th and it's listed as $119 through the link.
Old 11-16-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Dragon is $10 I will snatch it up. And I seen both a Combo Pack and a single disc version of HTTYD at wal-mart when it was released
Old 11-16-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reading some reviews it looks like the single disc was a stripped down "exclusive" to Walmart. I guess I'll pass.
Old 11-16-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JJE-187
If Dragon is $10 I will snatch it up. And I seen both a Combo Pack and a single disc version of HTTYD at wal-mart when it was released
There's no BD combo pack at WM. Only a DVD combo pack (2 DVDs).

If Avatar is $20 or less I'll bite.
Old 11-16-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sotra
There's no BD combo pack at WM. Only a DVD combo pack (2 DVDs).
My dad and I both bought BD combo packs at different Walmarts on release week. It was overpriced but it was there.
Old 11-16-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
My dad and I both bought BD combo packs at different Walmarts on release week. It was overpriced but it was there.
I stand corrected. No sign of them here.
Old 11-16-10, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
At least he didn't mention he drives in the nude...
How did you know? I figure when it's dark nobody can see inside the car and tell. It's fun to shiver when it's cold outside.

Seriously, though, what does "TMI mate" mean? The only thing I can think of is "That's my intention".
Old 11-16-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Too much information.
Old 11-16-10, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any employees on here that know the complete list on blurays for sale on BF? Thanks
Old 11-17-10, 07:23 AM
Cool New Member

It's the 17th, but the prices seem to be the same from the link--the prices of the flicks, anyway. Does anyone have newer information? Would make a special trip to pick up Dragon and Avatar ext blu if I knew the prices were lower than what we see at the link. Thanks.
Old 11-17-10, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bobwil54
Are there any employees on here that know the complete list on blurays for sale on BF? Thanks
I can say from past experience that if such a list materializes before BF it will come from an employee peeking inside the wrapped displays. I'm pretty sure from talking to employees in the past that they are clueless what's inside a wrapped display and Walmart doesn't send them contents lists (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Once BF hits and people start buying, the lists will show up in 1 of these threads. My strategy is very simple (and people may think I'm crazy): I know I'm going to Walmart anyway and I don't have time among all the grabby hands (mine included) to consult a list of what I do/don't have, so I merely buy 1 of everything (except pan & scam stuff... and yes, it's a big bill), then I have 3 months to sort it all out and return what I don't want (usually more than half the stuff). Otherwise all the stuff would be gone by the time I figured out what I didn't have.
Old 11-17-10, 08:46 AM

I posted this in the DVD version of the Walmart thread, but not much seems to be happening there (perhaps because BDs are "where it's at" :-)). I'm hoping there will be a discussion (now would be a good time) of how these midnight and doorbusters things are going to work. I didn't see a Walmart BF thread in the store forum, so it seems like here is as good a place as any:

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
As for the doorbusters. There will be numbered balloons with associates near them throughout the store where each doorbuster is being passed out. Look for "Line-up here" type signs for those items. Each item corresponds with a specific inventory number/wristband. At 5am those in line with the wristbands will receive the item they hae a wristband for.
Am I reading this right that after midnight you can walk around and collect numbered balloons for the 5am doorbusters from employees stationed at each doorbuster, go home, and come back at 5am to collect/pay for your items?

That seems a little hard to believe because (1) it would require a lot of extra employees to be guarding every doorbuster item (normally they are just wrapped up with a security guard standing within "eyeshot" of several wrapped displays) and (2) those who come at 5am might find they end up with nothing if all of the balloons have been passed out after midnight.

Given that I'm mainly looking for movies and games, I'll definitely be there at midnight to get that stuff out of the way. The real question is this... will everyone else be there at midnight too (meaning all this will accomplish is shift the mad rush earlier by 5 hours) or will this make things calmer?
Old 11-17-10, 08:47 AM

are there any news on better deals coming on blurays from Walmart for black friday?
Old 11-17-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by frk74
are there any news on better deals coming on blurays from Walmart for black friday?
Yes, indeed:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...friday-ad.html
Originally Posted by starman9000
I thought How to Train Your Dragon was only available in a combo pack. Is that new?
As mentioned by several others, Walmart had an exclusive single disc BD version of HTTYD in addition to the combo pack. Be advised that the single disc is missing most of the extras of the combo pack and the extras are quite good.

$19.96 is the regular price for the single disc BD at Walmart. The lowest price for the combo appears to be an advertised sale price of $17.99 at Best Buy from November 21-24.

Whether or not it will be available for less than that on BF remains to be seen. If you spot a lower price for "Dragon" I'd appreciate it if you would post it in this thread.
Old 11-17-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Manzana
I can say from past experience that if such a list materializes before BF it will come from an employee peeking inside the wrapped displays. I'm pretty sure from talking to employees in the past that they are clueless what's inside a wrapped display and Walmart doesn't send them contents lists (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Once BF hits and people start buying, the lists will show up in 1 of these threads. My strategy is very simple (and people may think I'm crazy): I know I'm going to Walmart anyway and I don't have time among all the grabby hands (mine included) to consult a list of what I do/don't have, so I merely buy 1 of everything (except pan & scam stuff... and yes, it's a big bill), then I have 3 months to sort it all out and return what I don't want (usually more than half the stuff). Otherwise all the stuff would be gone by the time I figured out what I didn't have.
That's a clever strategy that wouldn't have occurred to me.
Old 11-23-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't see this mentioned, but there are new $6.50 blus at walmart.com, including

The Mist
Lonesome Dove
Tinman

This will show you all of them, as well as all of the cheap blus available.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...onstraint=4096
Old 11-24-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I was in WM this evening and they were getting the displays ready. We already know the partial list of titles based on the Black Friday ad but I saw some other titles thru the Saran wrap:

Family Guy something something dark side
Seth McFarlane Cavalcade
Aliens in the attic
Alvin and the Chipmunks
All About Steve

The first two I think will be in the $5 blu Ray display while the latter 3 will be in the $10 bin. That's just my guess though based on the display.

Oh yeah, they all have the same color coded PROMO sticker just like last year.
Old 12-01-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Instore: $10 blu-rays with $5 concession bucks via Hollywood Concession Money. Offer starts 12/14/10 and expires 1/9/11

Blindside
Shawshank Redemption
Terminator Salvation
Sherlock Holmes
Full Metal Jacket

Last edited by izatright; 12-01-10 at 07:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.