Sons Of Anarchy Season 1
How I Met Your Mother: The Legendary Season 4
Lie To Me: Season One
Burn Notice: Season Two
Old 09-17-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Just a note, The Makioka Sisters has a list price of $29.99, so $19.86 isn't a major discount.
Old 09-17-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm amazed I got everything I wanted at Walmart.com before it went out of stock (not that I ordered that much... 8 titles I think), but that's probably because I saw this a couple hours after it was first posted on SD.

The James Bond BD collections are a good price, but Amazon has had them for $18 each in the past (don't remember when). Most of the Fox 3-packs have been fairly cheap (but not quite $13) in the past. So if you missed these deals and have a little patience, I think they'll be back again.

The part I like now about Walmart and Target purchases is that we're less than 90 days away from the dread BF (I say dread because I love it and hate it at the same time) so anything you buy from Walmart or Target you can return (if you don't open it) if you see it cheaper on BF. Some of these Walmart BDs (single movies, not the packs of course) were $5 at Walmart last BF, and I expect many of these to make new or repeat appearances for $5 at Walmart this BF.
Old 09-17-11, 08:26 PM

Picked up The Hills Have Eyes(Aja) for $13.00
Old 09-18-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Was at Wal-Mart this morning and saw a display of $10 blu-rays that included a movie cash offer for the Footloose remake. The titles I remember:

Dance Flick
The Dutchess
Ghost
Ghost Town
Grease
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Mean Girls
Saturday Night Fever
She's Out of My League

All of these (plus more) were on DVD for the same price, also with the free ticket offer.

EDIT: All of the above titles are currently $9 (with the ticket offer) on WalMart.com

Last edited by joe_b; 09-21-11 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-18-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I saw these and similar titles.. but it was $10 Blu & $7.50 DVD.. which is the same value as the movie cash to Footloose ($7.50)...
Old 09-18-11, 05:56 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

saw those as well, but my local store had it set up where they had 'Mean Girls', 'Grease' and 'She's Out Of My League' blu rays mixed in with the section that was priced at $7.50, and all with the movie cash.

If I had any interest in them I'm sure I could get them for the $7.50 since there was a whole stack of them and not just a lone copy that might have been misplaced.
Old 09-18-11, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! {snaps finger}
The 3 Bond sets and the one with the two Fantastic 4 movies are all sold out...
Old 09-19-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by b2net
I saw these and similar titles.. but it was $10 Blu & $7.50 DVD.. which is the same value as the movie cash to Footloose ($7.50)...
May have just been an error at my store, as they only had the $10 tags displayed. The blu-rays and DVDs of each movie were all filed together. In some cases, the BDs were hidden behind the DVD copies. Kind of a mess.
Old 09-19-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I ended up ordering Child's Play and Misery for $5 each. I was waiting for a cheap price to pick these up.
Old 09-19-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I couldn't pass up the Spartacus and Prequel combo set for $50 at Walmart. I've wanted S1 for sometime now but couldn't see paying over $30 for it.
Old 09-20-11, 09:56 AM

Some new discounts: Hot Tub Time Machine and Percy Jackson & the Olympians are both $5. Glad I waited - almost bought both for $7.50 earlier this week.

A few of the sold out titles (including a couple $13 triple features) are back in stock, but not all of them are showing up when you search for them on the site. You might have to do a Google search to find the product page.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-20-11 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-20-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks!

In for Burn Notice S2
Old 09-20-11, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
Some new discounts: Hot Tub Time Machine and Percy Jackson & the Olympians are both $5. Glad I waited - almost bought both for $7.50 earlier this week.

A few of the sold out titles (including a couple $13 triple features) are back in stock, but not all of them are showing up when you search for them on the site. You might have to do a Google search to find the product page.
I had a feeling this would happen. Snagged Hot Tub Time Machine and Percy Jackson as well as 3 of the 3-packs. For those that can't find the links.

Old 09-20-11, 09:36 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

James Bond Vol 3 - $20
Never Say Never Again - $6.50
Patton/Behind Enemy Lines/Rescue Dawn - $13

thanks to all of you...this was my first Walmart purchase in 3 years, the price couldn't be beat
Old 09-20-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Just an FYI, the Patton in the 3-Pack set isn't the new HD remastered version. Probably doesn't make much of an issue either way, as the movie itself is what, $4.25? But if you REALLY like PATTON, then the new transfer is coming out later this year. Still not sure exactly when, however.
Old 09-21-11, 06:13 AM

^ Fox released a limited 40th Anniversary Digibook for Patton back in May, but it reportedly has the same transfer as the first release - the only difference being the packaging.

I'd also heard rumors that Fox was taking another shot at the transfer, but I'm not sure when/if that will see the light of day on BD. Still, it's enough to make me hold off on purchasing the triple pack - especially since I have no interest in owning Behind Enemy Lines.
Old 09-21-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In for:

Marvel 3 Pack
Percy Jackson
HTTM
This is Spinal Tap

That's a lot of goodness for less than $30.
Old 09-26-11, 12:19 AM

Good I bit a few days ago on some of the boxed sets on which I was on the fence....all sets are up in price. Got all three Bond sets for $20 each - now they're way more than that. As are all those 3 pack Fox sets
Old 09-26-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I usually miss these quick deals but I got in on all the ones I wanted. They have shipped to the store but have not arrived yet. I'll need a small Uhaul to get them home
Old 09-27-11, 09:44 AM

At Walmart and Amazon, deals like these rarely last long. It seems the prices are good, they go OOS and the price jumps, and sometime later (usually weeks or months) they go on sale, and the cycle repeats. I've never understood the reason for all the price volatility, but maybe (wild guess) it's because once they're OOS on stuff they've already bought (and know how much they paid) they aren't willing to sell it as cheap because future batches may cost more. So they overcompensate by jacking the price way up until they get more.

I was amazed and happy that this time at Walmart I got everything I wanted. I was just waiting for stuff to disappear out of my cart like normal, but it didn't happen. I think it lasted almost 2 full days. Of course the in-store pickup process was its usual painful self... nobody at the photo/pickup desk, had to search the store to find an employee not trying to run away from me to call someone over to photo, and then 10 minutes for the employee to go through the orders while constantly getting interrupted by the phone or other passing employees asking for help. The employee kept saying "X and Y called in sick today so I'm the only person in electronics and photo right now and I can't do anything more". I felt like saying "1 employee for all of electronics and photo at Walmart? Sounds normal to me". Had it been anything else I would've just taken it to the front registers. So, it was the usual Walmart store pickup experience and made me glad I don't do it that often.
Old 09-27-11, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
At Walmart and Amazon, deals like these rarely last long. It seems the prices are good, they go OOS and the price jumps, and sometime later (usually weeks or months) they go on sale, and the cycle repeats. I've never understood the reason for all the price volatility, but maybe (wild guess) it's because once they're OOS on stuff they've already bought (and know how much they paid) they aren't willing to sell it as cheap because future batches may cost more. So they overcompensate by jacking the price way up until they get more.

I was amazed and happy that this time at Walmart I got everything I wanted. I was just waiting for stuff to disappear out of my cart like normal, but it didn't happen. I think it lasted almost 2 full days. Of course the in-store pickup process was its usual painful self... nobody at the photo/pickup desk, had to search the store to find an employee not trying to run away from me to call someone over to photo, and then 10 minutes for the employee to go through the orders while constantly getting interrupted by the phone or other passing employees asking for help. The employee kept saying "X and Y called in sick today so I'm the only person in electronics and photo right now and I can't do anything more". I felt like saying "1 employee for all of electronics and photo at Walmart? Sounds normal to me". Had it been anything else I would've just taken it to the front registers. So, it was the usual Walmart store pickup experience and made me glad I don't do it that often.
precisely my experience too. I despise the Walmart stores...not gonna do this in store pick up in future unless price is really attractive. terrible customer serivce in store...same shit as the one mentioned above. perhaps it was the same store :-)
Old 09-28-11, 05:06 PM

I saw a new display up at one of my Wal-Marts today advertising the Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash. I can't remember the exact titles but know they had Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd blu-rays for $15 each and those both came with $10 movie cash for Paranormal Activity 3. They also had the blu-rays without the movie cash for $10 a piece. On the right and left of the main display they had rows of $10-$15 blu-rays. I noticed that American Beauty, The African Queen and the newest Ferris Bueller were all part of the $10 group while Road To Perdition was one of the $15 titles. I can't remember every title but there was a nice selection.

I believe if you search Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash on Walmart.com it will list all the titles available as part of that promotion.
Old 09-28-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dugnarug
I saw a new display up at one of my Wal-Marts today advertising the Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash. I can't remember the exact titles but know they had Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd blu-rays for $15 each and those both came with $10 movie cash for Paranormal Activity 3. They also had the blu-rays without the movie cash for $10 a piece. On the right and left of the main display they had rows of $10-$15 blu-rays. I noticed that American Beauty, The African Queen and the newest Ferris Bueller were all part of the $10 group while Road To Perdition was one of the $15 titles. I can't remember every title but there was a nice selection.

I believe if you search Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash on Walmart.com it will list all the titles available as part of that promotion.
According to the website

Sweeny Todd
Sleepy Hollow
Paranormal Activity 2
Paranormal Activity
Friday the 13th Uncut
Friday the 13th Part 3 (3d)
Case 39

All are listing on the website at 13 but they are probably 15 in store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.