Print Wikipost

Costco discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Costco discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
Well, the idea is that a Costco membership is for more than just buying blurays and dvds. At least I go for more important items than media stuff.
i guess i hoped it would be a nice perk, maybe some special prices or exclusives like a target has.
Old 11-14-14, 10:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i guess i hoped it would be a nice perk, maybe some special prices or exclusives like a target has.
They do have occasional exclusives. Iirc, never a bonus disc or added content; but non-media extras like a hat or toy.
Old 11-15-14, 10:24 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Rodgers and Hammerstein set that was exclusive to Amazon is now at Costco for $65.
Old 11-15-14, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
They do have occasional exclusives. Iirc, never a bonus disc or added content; but non-media extras like a hat or toy.
The I Love Lucy DVD complete set has the I Love Colorized Lucy Christmas DVD shrink wrapped around the set with the set marked Costco exclusive.
Old 11-16-14, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steven Spielberg's Director's Collection is $69.99.
Old 11-16-14, 04:51 PM

Holiday Inn $10.
Old 11-20-14, 10:23 AM

Terminator Anthology (5 disc) -- $16.99
Big Lebowski (Metal case) -- $9.99

Both at Columbus OH Polaris location.
Old 11-20-14, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mickactual
I was really hoping Costco, of all places, would offer a better deal on this.
Costco pays the same per item as any other outlet, and offers items cheaper by not marking them up as much as other outlets (a byproduct of the membership that we pay for). Media has a low markup by all outlets, so it's not surprising that you don't see much of a difference in pricing. They aren't going to sell at a loss, the membership cost is not that high.
Old 11-20-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My Costco in San Jose, CA had the Harry Potter 8-film collection for $45.99
Old 11-20-14, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine had band of brothers and pacific individual sets not box set , 21.99 each.
Old 11-21-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nycdude
Is the Max Max Trilogy in the steel tin packaging at $21.99 worth it? I saw that there also.
For me yes.I'm a big fan of first two.And the third is not too bad either.I bought the Uk set about A year ago for about the same price.
It might go under $20 sooner or latter.
And Shout Factory is going to release Mad Max next year.But it
will not be cheap.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They had It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie Blu-ray for $10.
Originally Posted by Classic Films
Holiday Inn $10.
Thanks will buy if I can find.

Originally Posted by The_Vector
Terminator Anthology (5 disc) -- $16.99
Big Lebowski (Metal case) -- $9.99

Both at Columbus OH Polaris location.
They have 6 steelbooks for $10 each,the list is on page 40.
Best buy and Amazon also have them for sale,they even might go lower this BF.

and thanks everyone for posting the deals.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 11-21-14 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dogg
Costco pays the same per item as any other outlet, and offers items cheaper by not marking them up as much as other outlets (a byproduct of the membership that we pay for). Media has a low markup by all outlets, so it's not surprising that you don't see much of a difference in pricing. They aren't going to sell at a loss, the membership cost is not that high.
I doubt that, I am sure it is not a huge amount less but I think they get more of a discount then a regular B&M store.

Why on earth would they stock 15 copies of a huge box sets like Casablanca?

I think their M.O. is to release it at the highest price they can get to make up some margin, then throw in one of those "instant rebates" during the holidays to clear them out.

That is why I never touch these sets without their "sale".

History says that Batman set will be under $100 eventually.
Old 11-21-14, 12:26 PM

Based on the statements made by the Costco CEO in a recent article, the low prices are not achieved by buying products at a lower price as you indicate or believe. They are the result of having less markup (ie: profit) on said items.

Last edited by Dogg; 11-21-14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dogg
Based on the statements made by the Costco CEO in a recent article, the low prices are not achieved by buying products at a lower price as you indicate or believe. They are the result of having less markup (ie: profit) on said items.
I'm sure that is what he would want consumer's to believe.
It doesn't jive with what I see.

Why pay the same as standard B&M for hundreds of copies of expensive box sets, then when they don't sell, pull them from the shelves overnight, then bring them back months later and try selling them again???

That is not the normal retail model.
Old 11-21-14, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
History says that Batman set will be under $100 eventually.
I certainly hope so. I don't pay Costco $55 a year for a membership so I can find something there at the same price Best Buy and Amazon are selling it for.
Oh, and speaking of Best Buy... Local Costco in NJ had about 3 of the Batman boxes out on the floor - and they all had Best Buy "price" stickers on them (the damned annoying non-removable white stickers that say "Best Buy", but have no actual price on them). I went to customer service to get a price check, and questioned the stickers. No answer was forthcoming.
Old 11-23-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickactual
I certainly hope so. I don't pay Costco $55 a year for a membership so I can find something there at the same price Best Buy and Amazon are selling it for.
Oh, please. It's a membership club and you're paying the membership fee in order to shop there. Costco isn't the price leader on many items.
Old 11-23-14, 05:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Oh, please. It's a membership club and you're paying the membership fee in order to shop there. Costco isn't the price leader on many items.
One could argue that they aren't the price leader on anything.

I love Costco, but with research, patience, and coupons at other places; I've never found anything at Costco that couldn't be beat. Well, maybe the hot dog and refillable soda for $1.50.

Last edited by Trevor; 11-23-14 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-23-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I love Costco, but with research, patience, and coupons at other places; I've never found anything at Costco that couldn't be beat. Well, maybe the hot dog and refillable soda for $1.50.
They used to run media items at loss-leader prices. My guess with declining media sales, they have some kind of metric for pricing everything so high per square foot. Costco has been killed by inflationary pressures in food stuffs and other commodities.
Old 11-23-14, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I shop at Costco every weekend. Mainly for items like drinks, cereal, milk, paper product when needed, fill up for gas, and the occasional DVD or blu-ray. It isn't that I couldn't beat the price with patience and coupons elsewhere, but that I don't have to go to all that trouble. I mostly get a fair and decent price at one place (maybe not always the absolute lowest) without any extra effort.

When I do pick up media there it is within my normal shopping and typically for a better than average price. I picked up many criterions there over the last few months at $20 a piece. Could one do better from a BN criterion sale with coupons and membership? Probably so but the difference wasn't enough for me to worry about, or to wait and plan for. Then there was the Wonder Years S1/S2.

Now i don't just assume every DVD/blu-ray is a great price. I generally do a quick look-up to see what it is going for elsewhere and what it has been in the past.
Old 11-23-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
The only things that would make them better for me is if they would move 30 miles closer and if they had a self checkout line when I just want 5 items (I'm pretty sure some stores even have those).
Yeah, they have self checkout at every store I've ever been in, but they don't take cash at the self checkout. Only giftcards, debit, or AmEx. It's not that inconvenient, but sometimes I just really want to pay in cash because I have it on me, but then I look at the other lines and think, "Nah"
Old 11-24-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yeah, they have self checkout at every store I've ever been in, but they don't take cash at the self checkout. Only giftcards, debit, or AmEx. It's not that inconvenient, but sometimes I just really want to pay in cash because I have it on me, but then I look at the other lines and think, "Nah"
Not any longer. Costco has started removing the self-checkout lanes at stores. The one closest to me removed them a few months ago.

Here's an article from last year about the decision to do so: http://www.businessinsider.com/costc...heckout-2013-6
Old 11-24-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
Not any longer. Costco has started removing the self-checkout lanes at stores. The one closest to me removed them a few months ago.

Here's an article from last year about the decision to do so: http://www.businessinsider.com/costc...heckout-2013-6
They still have it at the stores I frequent, but that sucks for me, as I frequently make runs to Costco for 2 or 3 items, and there is no way that the manned checkout lanes are faster.
Old 11-24-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They still have it at the stores I frequent, but that sucks for me, as I frequently make runs to Costco for 2 or 3 items, and there is no way that the manned checkout lanes are faster.
Actually, they are much faster than self-checkout for the typical Costco shopper. Every time I've been in the self-checkout there have been items that don't scan, people with large or heavy items they want to or have to leave in the cart, etc. Each of those issues requires an employee to come over and scan the items manually. And that slows things down. And then there's the fact that most people show little consideration for others and take their damn time scanning their items and then putting them in the cart.
You don't have those issues in the employee manned lanes. They always have 2 people putting things on the belt, scanning, putting items in the cart. It moves very quickly since it's not left up to the customer. And as this is Coscto not Sams's Club, the employees are well trained, very fast, accurate, and friendly. Since I was forced to use the employee lanes, my time in checkout has gone down.

Anyway back to the deals...
Old 11-24-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Self-checkout is a hassle because the weight verification system used excludes so many items as to be worthless. Why does an employee need to key in so many exceptions for self-checkout?
Old 11-25-14, 11:06 AM

There has never been a self service checkout at Costcos around the NY, CT, and New Jersey area that i am aware of. I have seen it when I have traveled around the country on business and have used it as it has been quicker. What I would like is an express lane limited to 10 items or less. While many people are generous and let you go ahead of them when they see you only have one or two items, an express lane would be appreciated. I have never asked to go ahead of someone when I only had an item or two but I have accepted the offer when someone has made it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.