Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

blu rays 2 for 25 PV blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: blue rays 2 for 25 PV blockbuster

No sale at the Irvine, CA location near Tustin Marketplace. Used BDs are still $16.99.
Old 05-02-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Checked Dearborn, MI y'day and they had no idea what I was talking about but said "maybe Sunday." Found Alias S1 for $3.99, though, so it wasn't a wasted trip.
Old 05-02-09, 02:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

nothing at mine. YMMV.
Old 05-03-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

according to my BB, the sale starts 5/5
Old 05-03-09, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Man, I wish my local stores were corporate owned. The ones near me never have any sales going, and their used Blu-rays all run about $20.
Old 05-03-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i spoke to the manager at my local store and he also said this deal is effective as of 5/5
Old 05-03-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to four BBs today - they were all along the path I was already taking, so I wasn't just driving around - and none had the sale, but one said they had the signage in back and he guessed that Tues. would be the day because that's when they change prices.

My bigger problem is coming up with four movies worth paying $12.50 ea. for. Other than Hellboy II, Tropic Thunder, and Wanted, I'm pretty much screwed for something else. Stuff like Hancock or Pineapple Express are best left for $4-$5 regular DVDs IMO.
Old 05-04-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
My bigger problem is coming up with four movies worth paying $12.50 ea. for. Other than Hellboy II, Tropic Thunder, and Wanted, I'm pretty much screwed for something else.
That's sort of my problem as well. Not so much finding something to pay $12.50, but paying that for BD that I could get new on Amazon Marketplace. I don't have any extra replacement BD cases at the moment, so I'd have to order those.

Stopped by my local BBV (Novato, CA) to check out what they had. Pretty decent selection. The only ones that interested me were Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and National Treasure 1 & 2.

Also I'm pretty anal about the artwork condition in my collection, so seeing the BD's in the BBV rental cases was kind of a turn off. Reminded me of the HWV HD-DVD clearance a year or so ago. The rental cases are bigger than BD cases, so when switching cases they leave a big crease on the back where the rental spines were.

Either way, I hope everyone finds something they like in this sale!
Old 05-04-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought about getting some red cases for my HWV HD DVDs, but never got in on a good deal and frankly I don't give a darn. When I'm not playing the movies, they cases sit out of sight on shelves or in a back room and I don't worry that they don't look the same on the edges. I remember when they started cutting holes in cardboard slipcovers for the UPC to scan thru to prevent people sticking Criterions into bargain cases. Some people filled their diapers that they didn't want "damaged" sleeves and blah-blah-woof-woof. I pointed out that when it's on the shelf, you can't even see the hole and they'd have none of it. Their lives were ruined and they wanted clerks to have to take the time to pull the cases out of the sleeves to make sure the proper discs were inside. Yeesh.
Old 05-04-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My order from Square Deal for BD cases already got here. Very fast turn around on the shipping. I'm definitely ready for the sale tomorrow.
Old 05-04-09, 09:01 PM
Banned

Disney Joins Fox In Excising Extras From DVD Rentals
4 May 2009 2:28 AM, PDT

Disney will become the second studio to delete "extras" from DVDs that it provides to online and brick-and-mortar rental outlets, including Netflix and Blockbuster. The decision follows a similar one by Fox Home Video, which received widespread criticism among video "rentailers," and apparently sparked a retreat by Fox, which decided to provide a movie-only version at a discounted price and allow the movie-with-extras version to be sold to stores at a premium price.
Old 05-04-09, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I have to check out my BB. Thanks for the "Heads Up."
Old 05-04-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ilovedealsbaby
Disney Joins Fox In Excising Extras From DVD Rentals
4 May 2009 2:28 AM, PDT

Disney will become the second studio to delete "extras" from DVDs that it provides to online and brick-and-mortar rental outlets, including Netflix and Blockbuster. The decision follows a similar one by Fox Home Video, which received widespread criticism among video "rentailers," and apparently sparked a retreat by Fox, which decided to provide a movie-only version at a discounted price and allow the movie-with-extras version to be sold to stores at a premium price.
Ummm, that's great and all, but we're talking about Blu-ray Discs in this thread, and so far no studio is taking the time to make stripped down, rental only versions of those.....
Old 05-04-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Ummm, that's great and all, but we're talking about Blu-ray Discs in this thread, and so far no studio is taking the time to make stripped down, rental only versions of those.....
That's not true. The copy of The Wrestler BD has Rental Only (or something similar) written along the bottom of the artwork.
Old 05-05-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

we're talking about Blu-ray Discs in this thread, and so far no studio is taking the time to make stripped down, rental only versions of those.....
Yet.

I HATEHATEHATE that they're doing this because I'm an extras fiend. All these shens just make me hold off on getting the 2-discers a year later when they're marked down or getting a cheap PPV BD. I wanted the extras for Tropic Thunder and instead of the $5 PPV DVD, I'm getting the $12.50 PPV BD. Net profit to greedy anti-consumer studios: ZERO!!!!
Old 05-05-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

so far picked up:

Nick & Norah
Get Smart
Old 05-05-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
That's not true. The copy of The Wrestler BD has Rental Only (or something similar) written along the bottom of the artwork.
Hmmm, this is the first I am hearing of this, disappointing to say the least....Where did you rent it from? Just curious, as my local Blockbuster is still carrying the regular versions of the BDs (for now)....
Old 05-05-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm, this is the first I am hearing of this, disappointing to say the least....Where did you rent it from? Just curious, as my local Blockbuster is still carrying the regular versions of the BDs (for now)....
It was at Family Video, but I didn't rent it so I can't comment on what is or isn't missing from the retail disc. I guess they felt they needed to label the cover art after the Slumdog fiasco.
Old 05-05-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No sale in San Antonio. Asked at two corporate stores and they acted like they had never heard of it.
Old 05-05-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up Wanted and Tropic Thunder from a woefully stocked store near my work. I'll be hitting others on the way home.
Old 05-05-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up Get Smart and Forgetting Sarah Marshall during lunch. Not bad for $12.50 each.
Old 05-05-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just called and checked the local stores again and they decided that now they are doing it. They say they didn't find out about it till this afternoon. No idea if that is true, but I'm going to make a run and see if I can get anything decent.
Old 05-05-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 833 Likes on 552 Posts

Anybody spot Role Models or Midnight Meat Train at this sale. I'm guessin they are too new, but my closest Blockbuster has a crap selection. Maybe another area store has it.
Old 05-05-09, 06:20 PM

Stores in the Tempe, AZ area had no idea about the sale.
Old 05-05-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hit one store who had no idea about it, but they went and checked their email and found it was live. Yeesh.

OK, first problem, possibly: Is Hellboy II supposed to be one or two discs. The reviews I see say it's a 2-disc set with the movie on BD and a DVD of the extras. I've only got the movie disc, but the case art clearly lists all the features of both discs. Just popped it in and it only has the first disc's extras. Aw crap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.