DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Archives (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives-52/)
-   -   Lynch or Tarantino? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives/577353-lynch-tarantino.html)

JumpCutz 08-02-10 12:46 AM

Lynch or Tarantino?

Two very different filmmakers, but lets do it anyway.

You know the drill...

Blu Man 08-02-10 12:50 AM

Re: Lynch or Tarantino?

Tarantino by far.

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 12:52 AM

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/e...-1977-07-g.jpg

Fist of Doom 08-02-10 12:53 AM

I predict a landslide...

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10299151)
I predict a landslide...

Only because few here are fully familiar with Lynch. Everyone here is familiar with Tarantino, even if they hate him.

fumanstan 08-02-10 12:57 AM

Lynch's stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, outside of a couple scenes from Muholland Drive ;)

I love almost everything Tarantino's done, except for Death Proof.

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 12:58 AM

http://siamfoundation.org/movies/upl...d-1-715976.jpg

Boba Fett 08-02-10 01:00 AM

Love both, but Tarantino hasn't made a so-so movie since "Reservoir Dogs"

Lynch has made some genius stuff, some very good stuff, and a few very forgettable pieces.

Dan 08-02-10 01:01 AM

Lynch is my all-time favourite director... even though his output has been inconsistent. Tarantino hasn't made a bad film, IMO, but Lynch's best still outdoes Tarantino's best.

Lynch.

RocShemp 08-02-10 01:04 AM

I never liked Lynch's work. Well, except for Lost Highway. I really dug that flick.

I prefer Tarantino but also feel some of his work (like Pulp Fiction) is overrated. Overall, however, I'll go with Tarantino.

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 01:05 AM

http://spb.fotolog.com/photo/43/49/1...15057463_f.jpg

J. Farley 08-02-10 01:10 AM

Lynch easily. With the exception of Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds, I hate Tarantino's films. Excluding Dune, I love Lynch's body of work.

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10299155)
Lynch's stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, outside of a couple scenes from Muholland Drive

I take it you haven't seen very many of his works, period.

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 01:17 AM

http://nest.rckshw.com/wp-content/up...e_velvet_3.jpg

fumanstan 08-02-10 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine (Post 10299183)
I take it you haven't seen very many of his works, period.

Why do you say that? I didn't realize someone HAS to like his film output.

Supermallet 08-02-10 02:22 AM

This is a tough one. Lynch's output is more inconsistent by the very nature of his creative process. This leads to higher highs (Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive) and lower lows (Dune, Inland Empire, Wild At Heart). Lynch is a true original, crafting unique visions that are unmistakably his. His use of metaphor and symbolism, tied up in a surreal package, make his works rich and full of depth. There's even a word to describe strange movies, Lynchian, which should show how much of a stamp Lynch has made on the world of film.

Tarantino does the opposite of Lynch. Instead of coming from a totally unique place of creation, he gobbles up influences, synthesizes them, and spits them back out. However, the results are no less unmistakably Tarantino than Lynch's films are Lynch, which just goes to show how talented both men are. Tarantino's influence on film is also palpable, especially in the wake of Pulp Fiction, where everyone and their mother tried to ape Tarantino's style (often to poor effect). Tarantino has never made a bad film, but he's arguably not made a film with the raw seething power of Blue Velvet, either.

In the end, I chose Lynch, because his vision is so different from anything else in the world of film or television that I cannot deny its sheer haunting power. However, Tarantino is a masterful auteur whose name will go down in the history books as surely as will Lynch's.

RagingBull80 08-02-10 02:29 AM

Of the three of these "Director or Director" threads so far, this one was by far the most difficult.

David Lynch is one of the most unique and best filmmakers of all time. I can't even really describe the feeling that most of his films give me and I'm often left disconcerted and I don't know why. He also made one of my favorite flicks, Eraserhead.

Tarantino was involved in one of the turning points in my life regarding films. One night I had a double feature of Reservoir Dogs and Goodfellas (back in the VHS days!) and I consider that one of the big events in my life. I got into Tarantino very early on and I've had a connection with every one of his films.

I had to go with Tarantino.

Eva Kaine 08-02-10 03:09 AM

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fZ7TvbeRp2A/R_...84%20baron.jpg

riotinmyskull 08-02-10 03:11 AM

lynch is my favorite director, so this was easy.

The Antipodean 08-02-10 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10299227)
This is a tough one. Lynch's output is more inconsistent by the very nature of his creative process. This leads to higher highs (Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive) and lower lows (Dune, Inland Empire, Wild At Heart). Lynch is a true original, crafting unique visions that are unmistakably his. His use of metaphor and symbolism, tied up in a surreal package, make his works rich and full of depth. There's even a word to describe strange movies, Lynchian, which should show how much of a stamp Lynch has made on the world of film.

Tarantino does the opposite of Lynch. Instead of coming from a totally unique place of creation, he gobbles up influences, synthesizes them, and spits them back out. However, the results are no less unmistakably Tarantino than Lynch's films are Lynch, which just goes to show how talented both men are. Tarantino's influence on film is also palpable, especially in the wake of Pulp Fiction, where everyone and their mother tried to ape Tarantino's style (often to poor effect). Tarantino has never made a bad film, but he's arguably not made a film with the raw seething power of Blue Velvet, either.

In the end, I chose Lynch, because his vision is so different from anything else in the world of film or television that I cannot deny its sheer haunting power. However, Tarantino is a masterful auteur whose name will go down in the history books as surely as will Lynch's.

This pretty much is everything I would have said. I love most of Tarantino's work (the godawful Death Proof aside) but he is a magpie, rather than an ostrich like Lynch, if you get what I'm saying. Not that I'm even sure what it means but it sounds suitably Lynchian. ;)

auto 08-02-10 07:11 AM

Lynch, he is my favorite director. Odd pairing for sure.

inri222 08-02-10 07:31 AM

http://pics.livejournal.com/mediadiary/pic/0002g2da

"I'm at your house right now,"
"Call me"

RichC2 08-02-10 07:34 AM

Odd selection - Lynch makes some of the best surreal movies of this generation, Tarantino makes some of the best mainstream films of this generation. They work in such completely different creative spaces that it's actually pretty damn hard to compare them.

TGM 08-02-10 07:43 AM

Tarantino by far. Lynch's movies are simply too weird to be enjoyable for me. I chuckle at all of these "Lynch is my favorite director" comments... ask these people what some of Lynch's movies are about, and they will likely not be able to tell you... and when pressed, they'll likely respond "BUT THAT'S THE GENIUS OF IT!" :jo:

Trevor 08-02-10 08:43 AM

I love Lynch, but voted Tarantino, despite his often silly posts here.

kd5 08-02-10 09:40 AM

David Lynch has more of an imagination than just shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of everyone. The only film I really liked by Tarantino was From Dusk Till Dawn and that was because it had vampires in it, the others are just new ways to shoot, stab, torture, and beat the hell out of everyone. -kd5-

riotinmyskull 08-02-10 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10299553)
David Lynch has more of an imagination than just shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of everyone. The only film I really liked by Tarantino was From Dusk Till Dawn and that was because it had vampires in it, the others are just new ways to shoot, stab, torture, and beat the hell out of everyone. -kd5-

aren't most vampire movies?

kd5 08-02-10 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10299558)
aren't most vampire movies?

Yes, but violence just for violence's sake seems to be Tarantino's claim to fame, and From Dusk Till Dawn isn't much different, the only difference being it has vampires in it which actually required a bit of imagination, something David Lynch has in abundance. -kd5-

Ash Ketchum 08-02-10 09:58 AM

I have nothing against Lynch. I have enormous respect for him and find him to be a true original. However, Tarantino's films get me excited about the art of moviemaking all over again. Lynch's films are interesting but Tarantino's films are truly stimulating and remind me in every fiber of my being why I got into film in the first place.

RocShemp 08-02-10 10:01 AM

Although Tarantino wrote From Dusk Till Dawn, it's very much a Robert Rodriguez flick. So let's give credit where credit is due.

Mr. Cinema 08-02-10 10:10 AM

I'm not wise enough to get the genius of Lynch, so I voted for the other guy.

Solid Snake 08-02-10 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10299553)

...I'm not sure how to understand your post. Lynch isn't a genre director so..maybe that's why you think QT lacks as much imagination as DL.

I think Lynch is ok to see every once in a while but QT was the guy that made me want to become (and know be) a student filmmaker and hopefully a successful professional filmmaker in my future.

Supermallet 08-02-10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 10299384)
Tarantino by far. Lynch's movies are simply too weird to be enjoyable for me. I chuckle at all of these "Lynch is my favorite director" comments... ask these people what some of Lynch's movies are about, and they will likely not be able to tell you... and when pressed, they'll likely respond "BUT THAT'S THE GENIUS OF IT!" :jo:

Which movie do you want to know about? The only film I couldn't make heads or tails of is Inland Empire. Rather, I don't think Inland Empire has a head or tail to make out.

For a very long time, Lynch was my favorite director, and I find it funny that you would paint every single Lynch fan with the same brush stroke. Just because you don't enjoy his movies doesn't mean there isn't something there to enjoy, or ponder, or appreciate.

dick_grayson 08-02-10 12:37 PM

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medi...6/18819980.jpg

nando820 08-02-10 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10299589)
I have nothing against Lynch. I have enormous respect for him and find him to be a true original. However, Tarantino's films get me excited about the art of moviemaking all over again. Lynch's films are interesting but Tarantino's films are truly stimulating and remind me in every fiber of my being why I got into film in the first place.

Yes first time I watched Pulp Fiction I was blown away. I watched that movie so many times I memorized every single line of dialog then came "Kill Bill" which was the first time in my life I got the same feeling as watching japanese animation but this time with real actors. And then "Inglorious Basterds" blow me away again with its celebration of movies and history.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 10299608)
I'm not wise enough to get the genius of Lynch, so I voted for the other guy.

Yeah I think that applies to me. I get 40% percent of his films when i watch them then i have to go read about what they meant and then i go "Ohhh i can see it now... pretty clever" but then again i already spent 2 hours going crazy watching them.

jmu878 08-02-10 12:52 PM

Tarantino by a long shot...it's not even close. I've only seen a handful of Lynch films and never have the desire to revisit any of them.

Hokeyboy 08-02-10 03:41 PM

God DAMN you!

Hmmm... Mulholland Dr is my favorite film of the 2000s... but I fucking hated Lost Highway, and I don't fucking hate anything Tarantino ever did... plus the perfect trifecta of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown... the Kill Bills run out of steam at the end of Part 2, but what a ride to get there... but wait, Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are mesmerizing, and I love the look and feel of Dune and, to a lesser extent, the flawed Elephant Man... but Inglourious Basterds is a total freakin' hoot...

Bah. Tarantino takes it. But it wasn't easy. :(

Sessa17 08-02-10 03:41 PM

Haven't read through this thread, but since this forum blindly worships Tarantino like a God, I'm assuming this debate is a mute point here. That aside, realisticly this isn't even a debate worth discussing, Lynch is so beyond Tarantino in artistic talent it is laughable. Tarantino's career is nothing more than copying obscure films that mainstream audiences have never seen, & then passing them off to the masses who then think its just so cool & original. Lynch changed television with a TV series that was so influential it is still copied today, he pushed boundaries a way network television has never seen before. He pushed boundaries in Sci-Fi in a way that had never been seen before in film & has constantly tried to bend-genres with his creativity. Lynch is a true artist that embodies what creativity in the medium can be, Tarantino takes creativity of pioneers like Lynch, & makes it digestable & easy to consume.

Supermallet 08-02-10 04:07 PM

Lost Highway is a trip into the unconscious, touching on themes of identity, infidelity, loss, the transience of memory, and transformation. Its narrative is a purposeful enigma, designed to take the viewer on a journey for the journey's sake. If you're trying to watch it and figure out why event A led to event B, that's not the point. It's better to think of it as a mood piece than a narrative, although the plot suggests a psychogenic fugue has taken place, Lynch has said that is not a sufficient explanation for the film's events. Rather, the images and occurrences should evoke a reaction from the viewer, and allow the audience to ponder their meaning without tying it down to a traditional narrative structure.

I will now sit and wait for the torrent of replies of how I didn't answer the question or am bullshitting or being a pretentious ass, etc. etc. :lol:

Hokeyboy 08-02-10 04:10 PM

A psychogenic fugue...!