Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any good-Aiwa AV-D97 Reciever or HT-D970?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any good-Aiwa AV-D97 Reciever or HT-D970?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-01, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I know the Sub will suck on the HTIaB.
Already fixed that.

But, a reciever with DTS, etc and some speakers for $299 at Frye's...if this is even a decent receiver, seems like a good deal.
Old 01-18-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth, in my opinion, Aiwa makes very poor quality stuff. A friend of mine has an Aiwa DD reciever and while it sounds pretty good for movies, it sounds awful for music(and he has very nice speakers at that). The Aiwa just tries to have all these bells and whistles you don't really need and instead sacrifices sound quality. Still though, see if you can give it a listen. You might not be as critical of it and you may like it. good luck!

------------------
Dave My DVDs My Humble Home Theatre
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule"-Randal Graves
Old 01-18-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In all honesty, if I were you I would stick to Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, and high end Sony (ES line) and Pioneer (Elite) receivers. I just don't think it's wise to buy any other brand WRT receivers.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-19-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WRT?

I passed. I tested it at the store...the volume goes to '30'..and I had to crank it to 27 from 4 feet away to be happy. Rated as 120 watts per channel?
No way...

I'm still looking for a reciever...
Old 01-19-01, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Weapon X:
WRT?

I passed. I tested it at the store...the volume goes to '30'..and I had to crank it to 27 from 4 feet away to be happy. Rated as 120 watts per channel?
No way...

I'm still looking for a reciever...
<HR>

I reccomend the Onkyo TXDS-484 if you're looking for a good budget reciever. Look for it on 800.com. 800.com also has the onkyo reciever packaged with 5 audio source speakers and a powered sub for 500. I got that setup and I'm very pleased with it, all the speakers are two way(unlike the Kenwood HTB-503) and it sounds excellent for music and movies. The trade off is that the reciever lacks S-video switching but I figure I can always buy a 20 dollar recoton s-video switcher should I need to. good luck!

------------------
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule"-Randal Graves
Old 01-20-01, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, thanks for the heads up on the Onkyo...

I just wanted a 'simple' HTIAB, but after testing many, have found that even 100-120 watts on a low end receiver just isn't good.

I'm thinking Yamaha.
Old 01-20-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just wanted a 'simple' HTIAB, but after testing many, have found that even 100-120 watts on a low end receiver just isn't good.

I'm thinking Yamaha.
<HR>

Yamaha is good. I have an RX-V595a which outputs 70W per channel and sounds way more powerful then that.This model has been discontinued and replaced by the RX-V596. I believe the model below may also be a good choice, the RX-V496, but I'm not sure if it has S-Video inputs/outputs. I believe the 596 has an MSRP of $499 and the 496 has an MSRP of $399, although you may be able to find them cheaper. Then there is also the HTR series, which I'm not so familiar with.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 01-20-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking Yamaha.
<HR>

Yamaha makes very nice equipment. They also make a HTIAB, model YHT-23. The only place I've found that sells it is sears and bestbuy(including bestbuy.com). It appears the Onkyo is no longer on 800.com's site so I guess it sold out. About your wattage question, many "low end" recievers are way overrated. For example, the Kenwood VR-407, while a great reciever, is nowhere near 100 watts. My Onkyo 484 is rated at 55 watts but it has a high current amp which, as far as I can tell, allows it to play clearer at higher volumes. Along with that, I think 55watts is a big underestimate as at 50% volume the thing is unbelieveably loud. Good luck weapon x and let the group know what you get!

------------------